PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Timing of attacks, Free action & swift action

thecrimsondawn
2016-02-23, 02:58 AM
Ran into a path of war debate with a friend.

So lets say you use a standard action to make an attack, and due to a style or stance, you are allowed a free action if you hit with your standard action. After the standard action hits, but before the free action happens, can you use a boost (a swift action)?

MilleniaAntares
2016-02-23, 03:29 AM
I don't see why not.

In the future, you can ask questions in the Path of War (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444869-Dreamscarred-Press-Path-of-War-Expanded!-(Thread-VII)) thread, if it's meant to be PoW-specific.

thecrimsondawn
2016-02-23, 10:20 AM
Wait...we have a path of war thread?! O_o!
well...how about that!

I will ask PoW questions there for now on, but I felt this one is still more general rules related. Thanks!

Psyren
2016-02-23, 10:52 AM
The general RAW answer to your question is yes. Two citations:

Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free, as decided by the GM.

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. You can, however, perform only one single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action anytime you would normally be allowed to take a free action.

In other words - you can take free actions (and therefore swift actions) even while you take other actions.

That's the general rule though, I'm uncertain if PoW might have something more specific that overrides that (e.g. "you can't use a boost while initiating a strike" or some other restriction.)