PDA

View Full Version : A Stupid Idea: Ray Cleric with Debuff capabilities

paranoidbox
2016-02-23, 05:11 AM
At least, I haven't really found a decent write-up of a debuffing, ray-throwing cleric build, so I'm assuming it is one of those patented stupid ideas.

I kind of really want to see what could be done with one though, so here goes. (Caveat: At my table, we play what basically amounts to an E12 game, so for me, my cleric would have feats aplenty but cannot really go into prestige classes. However, if anyone wants to seize onto this idea and think E20 instead of E12, be my guest.)

What I have so far is:
Full Cleric with the Divine Magician ACF to get access to those delicious Necromancy spells such as Ray of Enfeeblement, Exhaustion, and Sickness, as well as Enervation.
Metamagic feats such as Split Ray, Chain Spell (maybe?), Quicken Spell, Twin Spell, and all of the DMM that goes with it.
Nightstick and Extra Turning feats, obvs, to power all that DMM goodness.

Are there any other ray spells that are available to the cleric besides Searing Ray? (Which is not really a debuff, but it's fits into the concept anyway.)

Hmm... what else can we do to make this more viable?

nedz
2016-02-23, 05:56 AM
Not a stupid idea - it just works better with Druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479435-3-5-Warped-Druid-Handbook-PEACH).

paranoidbox
2016-02-24, 03:10 AM
That's cool. I did think of the Spellwarp Sniper, but prestige classes are a no-go at my tables.

nedz
2016-02-24, 08:27 AM
True, but I did explore other options.

The Cleric spell list contains only a few area spells which can be warped anyway - and none with the Reflex save Rider trick.

The Reach spell trick might work quite well though - IIRC the Cleric list does contain a number of touch attack type spells.

paranoidbox
2016-02-24, 03:54 PM
You're right, Clerics don't really have AoE spells, so probably a Druid would work better there :-)

As for Reach Spell, I was thinking of that lovely Bestow Curse (an oldie but a goodie), and depending on Alignment or inclination, possibly Poison and Contagion, too. Aside from the Inflict Wounds line, I'm not sure if there are any other good touch attack spells though.

nedz
2016-02-24, 04:13 PM
There are quite a few - I'm not sure how many are offensive and useful though.