PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Interactive Maps

loremaps
2016-02-23, 05:28 AM
Hey all,

I just wanted to share something I've started working on recently. I could not find a site where I could put my personal notes about our campaign and decided to try and built on for my party members and my DM. One thing led to another and anyways...here it is:
http://loremaps.azurewebsites.net

Faerun and GoT interactive maps. There are several ideas on features to be added and of course more maps, but I would really appropriate any feedback you can provide even at this early stage.

Thank you all for you time in advanced :)

Update: My DM prefers hex maps! So now on LoreMaps he can put a hex grid over any part of Faerun and export it as an image, creating this way as many hex maps as he needs. Here's how the export looks like:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=75927&d=1459435932&thumb=1

Hope other DMs here find this useful as well, and maybe get some inspiration points for this!! :D

JohanOfKitten
2016-02-23, 06:50 AM
That's a really good job. It can be really useful and has a huge potentiel to harness a lot of data about the different places.

Quick feedback about way to improve it :
- First thing, and easy to implement I think, is to put different colors on the pins depending of the layer used (castle, city, temple...). (and have the colors registered in the legend)

- Not having just one map on which we can zoom in or out, but having scales of viewing. (when the zoom is x4, then show this more detailed map instead of the generic one). In cartography, it's a really important feature about what to show and how to show it. It can be difficult to implement though, specialy for the limits between the closer maps, but it could had something (at least for faerun, 'cause I know there's a lot of more precise maps that would fit well if someone want to have more details about the area).

- Still in the idea of scales of viewing, it could be wise, specially if the map continue to collect data, to associate the pins with scales :
for example, with scales being [ 1 (the whole map), 2 (country), 4 (region), 8 (province), 16 (city) ]
Capitals visible from 1 to 8
Citys / Ports visible from 2 to 8
Villages visible from 4 to 8
Small localities visible from 8 to 16
Buildings inside the city visible in 16
It's a bit raw in my example, but it could be really good for clarity to be able to see details like villages or other special local places when we are close up, without having them pop-up too when I'm looking for the distance between two capitals.

Anyway, I hope you'll continue it and wish you courage.
Interactive cartography can be a pain in the *** when we dig a lot in it, but it's great at the end.

KillianHawkeye
2016-02-23, 11:55 AM
This looks pretty cool. Great job!

Arael666
2016-02-23, 12:32 PM
Do you have the forgotten realms atlas by the way? It's a great source of information.

tsiage
2016-02-23, 12:59 PM
Awesome work!

I will definitely use it in my campaign.

Cheers!

loremaps
2016-02-24, 12:43 PM
Thank you all for your time to check it out! I really appreciate your feedback and will definitely take it into consideration!!

loremaps
2016-03-31, 03:30 PM
Updated OP with new functionality!