PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pet Graveyard Sludge

Brunks
2016-02-23, 05:52 AM
So recently my Dread Necromancer came across a Graveyard Sludge (MM5). A quick knowledge check made him realize its great value:

Whenever a creature that can
acquire the zombie template (MM 265) dies within 20
feet of a graveyard sludge, that creature rises as a zombie
1d4 rounds later.

A great source of free, disposable zombie minions, yes please! Command undead and Rebuking will really come in useful.
The party succesfully kited the creature and contained it in a sturdy room in our base. But since we don't get to kill people inside our base very often I'm trying to figure out a way to take it with me.

I've considered making a giant Adamantine container, which is both expensive and cumbersome. Would the effect require line of sight/effect? Getting it in and out will be a chore.
Or putting it in extradimensional storage, again expensive, but may not even fit, the bag would probably disolve in its acid too.

Do you guys have any suggestions for safely, and discreetly transporting a graveyard sludge?

Relevant information:
Party consists of Dread Necromancer 6, Bard 6, Crusader 6
Currently have about 5k gold at my disposal, but I'm fine with waiting until I have more.
The Graveyard sludge is a large creature, and deals 1d6+6 plus 1d6 acid damage with its attack. So whatever container should probably be able to absorb that much damage.

Inevitability
2016-02-23, 06:26 AM
The first thing I thought of was Ooze Puppet, but that's a little outside your abilities right now. Maybe try to buy a custom item that casts the spell every eleven days?

A portable hole might be able to contain the ooze, but it's expensive.

Virtually all oozes don't harm stone with their acid, but stone isn't hard enough to resist its slams. Maybe create a stone box, pay someone to cast Hardening (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/hardening.htm) (estimated prize: 660 GP) and put the ooze in there.

There are also some weapon augment crystals in the MIC that increase a weapon's hardness: maybe put one of those on the box (assuming it counts as an improvised weapon). Enchantments in general should increase hardness.

Necroticplague
2016-02-23, 06:51 AM
Your a necromancer, right?

Step 1: Kill it.
step 2: use Create Undead to bring it back as a Corpse Creature (BoCD p. 185; oozes are nonplant, noncontruct, nonundead corporeal creatures, so it qualifies).
step 3: Command/Rebuke the resultant undead.
step4:????
step5:profit.

Inevitability
2016-02-23, 06:58 AM
Your a necromancer, right?

Step 1: Kill it.
step 2: use Create Undead to bring it back as a Corpse Creature (BoCD p. 185; oozes are nonplant, noncontruct, nonundead corporeal creatures, so it qualifies).
step 3: Command/Rebuke the resultant undead.
step4:????
step5:profit.

He's only 6th level. A scroll of create undead would cost over 2000 GP (around one-sixth of his WBL) if it is available at all (I somehow doubt scrolls with powerful necromancies are easily available). Not to mention the 25% risk of failing the check and losing the body.

Necroticplague
2016-02-23, 07:20 AM
He's only 6th level. A scroll of create undead would cost over 2000 GP (around one-sixth of his WBL) if it is available at all (I somehow doubt scrolls with powerful necromancies are easily available). Not to mention the 25% risk of failing the check and losing the body.

Huh? What check? Nothing Create Undead or Corpse Creature seems to imply any kind of check is needed, unless I'm missing something.

Also, the cost isn't that high (well, a much as you say). It's 5 (spell level of sanctum create undead)x1 (no reason to use a CL higher than 1)x25+50x6 (material component for create undead for a 6 HD creature)=425. Even without resorting to Sanctum cheese, it's still an afforable 450 GP.

Inevitability
2016-02-23, 08:02 AM
Huh? What check? Nothing Create Undead or Corpse Creature seems to imply any kind of check is needed, unless I'm missing something.

Also, the cost isn't that high (well, a much as you say). It's 5 (spell level of sanctum create undead)x1 (no reason to use a CL higher than 1)x25+50x6 (material component for create undead for a 6 HD creature)=425. Even without resorting to Sanctum cheese, it's still an afforable 450 GP.

The check referred to the use of the scroll. If the scroll has a caster level of 11 (which I assumed), you'll need to roll at least a 6 on the d20 (6+6=11+1)

And I really doubt this guy is going to find a scroll of sanctum create undead somehow cast by a level 1 caster. I know it's possible, but that doesn't mean it's probable. I think if he's going to find a scroll of create undead at all (which, as I said before, might be difficult), it will probably have the price the PHB suggests (2350 GP).

Aleolus
2016-02-23, 08:39 AM

You cannot reduce the caster level of a scroll created lower than the minimum caster level needed to cast spells of the same spell level. If CGU is a 6th level spell under normal circumstances, the minimum caster level to create a scroll of it would be 11 (12 if made by a Sorcerer). To use that spell successfully he would have to make a CL check of (5+CL of the scroll), of 16 in this case. That gives him a flat 50% chance to use it successfully. Personally, I wouldn't, but it's up to the OP if he would be willing to take that risk.

EDIT* Oh yeah, the above post is right. I forgot the DC is only 1+CL, not 5. My bad, sorry

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-23, 09:29 AM
Get the Planar Touchstone feat (PlH). Bond to the Catalogues of Enlightenment to get the granted power of the Slime (SC) or Thirst (Sand) domain.
Increase your rebuking level high enough to command the ooze. This also increases your command pool for rebuking undead, so it's hardly wasted gold.
Since the domain powers say "as an evil cleric rebukes undead" anything that increases your level for rebuking undead should work unless it specifically says otherwise.
Command it.

Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG) +4
Rod of Authority (DotF) +4
Scepter of the Netherworld (LM) +3
Sacred Shield (BoED) +2
Sacred Armor (BoED) +2
Sacred Dastana (BoED) +2
Sacred Chahar-Ana (BoED) +2
Improved Turning (PHB) +1
Divine Energy Focus (GW) +2
Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol (ECS) +1
Paragnostic Apostle See through the Veil (CC) +2
Icon of Ravenloft (ECR) +4
Inspire Turning (ECR) +2
Moonfriend (ECR) +3
Ephod of Authority (MIC) +1
Talisman of Undead Mastery (MIC) +2-4
Light of Wisdom (CC) +1/3 CL
Ruby Blade (MIC): Relic Power: +4 effective level for rebuking, commanding, bolstering

Necroticplague
2016-02-23, 10:00 AM
The check referred to the use of the scroll. If the scroll has a caster level of 11 (which I assumed), you'll need to roll at least a 6 on the d20 (6+6=11+1)

Ah. Fair enough. My assumption of a CL1 scroll wouldn't have needed this check (since you don't need the check is your CL is at least that of the scroll, assuming it's on your class list and the right type of spell). Since I've already made arguments about the minimum CL undefined before, I'll simply disregard this in favor of different possible suggestions.

In the MiC, there's an item called a Domain Drought that can give you the granted power of a domain, IIRC. Use this for Slime domain, then Rebuke the slime.

ShurikVch
2016-02-23, 10:33 AM
Sublime Chord is able to cast (and scribe scrolls of) Create Undead on CL 6

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-23, 01:48 PM
Commission the construction of an acid proof wagon/rickshaw. When you get 5thlevel spells, you can research haunt shift...which you can use to animate the wagon. Does the ooze need line of effect?

Brunks
2016-02-23, 04:00 PM
Virtually all oozes don't harm stone with their acid, but stone isn't hard enough to resist its slams. Maybe create a stone box, pay someone to cast Hardening (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/hardening.htm) (estimated prize: 660 GP) and put the ooze in there.

Ooh thats a good one, I could probably make that happen. Still really cumbersome, whould need several minions to carry it.

Good suggestion, the spell itself is still a way of, but I might very well be able to get my hands on a (normal) scroll. Didn't think an ooze could be reanimated so this is good info!

Get the Planar Touchstone feat (PlH). Bond to the Catalogues of Enlightenment to get the granted power of the Slime (SC) or Thirst (Sand) domain.
Increase your rebuking level high enough to command the ooze. This also increases your command pool for rebuking undead, so it's hardly wasted gold.
Since the domain powers say "as an evil cleric rebukes undead" anything that increases your level for rebuking undead should work unless it specifically says otherwise.
Command it.

I actually already have the normal Touchstone feat, so it would fit the flavor to have the planar version too. Or perhaps convince my DM to combine the two. Only picked it up to qualify for Sand Shaper.
I looted a Phylactery of Undead Turning last session, so I've got that going for me. Just wondering, do diffrent types of rebuking "stack" in terms of the total number of HD you can control? Does effective turning level also increase this? Because I already have a Taunting Haunt atm (6HD).

In the MiC, there's an item called a Domain Drought that can give you the granted power of a domain, IIRC. Use this for Slime domain, then Rebuke the slime.
Good one, the duration is very short though, and there is no way my DM will let me keep the rebuke once its effect wears off. Still might be worth it to get it to squeeze in a container. Speaking of squeezing, how small a space could a creature occupy? SRD says it requires an Escape Artist check, but doesn't really give numbers other than the epic use. Would be pretty cool to have it in a adamantine flask or something.

Commission the construction of an acid proof wagon/rickshaw. When you get 5thlevel spells, you can research haunt shift...which you can use to animate the wagon. Does the ooze need line of effect?
How would you make a wagon acid proof? Or any other container for that matter? I'm not sure the Ooze needs line of effect, its a (Su) if that matters, but the entry doesn't clarify.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Some very good stuff!
Assuming I do rebuke or reanimate it, how should I go about concealing its presence? Or transporting it on a wooden airship? I'm not sure my DM would waive the acid damage for its surroundings.

Zaq
2016-02-23, 04:01 PM

Rules Compendium pg. 80 says "A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what an ability, effect, or spell can affect. [. . .] You must have line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect." (Emphasis added.) Seems pretty clear to me that the ability of the graveyard sludge to automatically zombify things is an "ability" or "effect," and so it needs LoE to the "space in which [it wishes] to create an effect," with the effect in question being automatically zombifying things.

Specific trumps general, so if the graveyard sludge has language indicating that it doesn't need LoE, then that's one thing, but in general, LoE rules apply to damn near anything you want to do.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-23, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! Some very good stuff!
Assuming I do rebuke or reanimate it, how should I go about concealing its presence? Or transporting it on a wooden airship? I'm not sure my DM would waive the acid damage for its surroundings.

A glass lined adamantine aquarium. You can even put windows into it. I mean glass contains acids for flasks....

But... Where are you currently keeping it? Can it dissolve its way out?

Brunks
2016-02-23, 04:35 PM
Rules Compendium pg. 80 says "A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what an ability, effect, or spell can affect. [. . .] You must have line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect."
Yep, thats seems pretty clear to me. I'm going to need a hatch...

A glass lined adamantine aquarium. You can even put windows into it. I mean glass contains acids for flasks....

But... Where are you currently keeping it? Can it dissolve its way out?

That would really tie my cabin together.
Our base has literal plot walls. It might move around inside the base a bit I guess, it has no real motivation to do so atm. No living things inside there. But the outer walls are unobtainium-DM-horse****-gods-can't-see-inside-here-superwalls. Yes really.

We just made it our base once we found our way inside.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-23, 05:16 PM
I looted a Phylactery of Undead Turning last session, so I've got that going for me. Just wondering, do diffrent types of rebuking "stack" in terms of the total number of HD you can control? Does effective turning level also increase this? Because I already have a Taunting Haunt atm (6HD).

They're two separate abilities, so the commanding pools are separate too.
And effective turning level (ETL) lets you act as "X levels higher" for all purposes related to turning: maximum HD of targets affected, whether a target is rebuked or commanded and how many HD of creatures you can command with your rebuking.

One thing to remember is that you can only command a creature with HD half your ETL. But your maximum of controlled HD is = your ETL, so you can command 2 of them (per rebuking ability you have).

So unless you have more TU boosters the highest HD a Dread Necro 6 with a Phylactery of Undead Turning can command is 5, because his effective turning level is 10.
If you got the Thirst or Slime domain you could command 10 HD of undead and 10 HD of oozes, but no single creature could have more than 5 HD.
If you later got Fire as a bonus domain you could also command your ETL in creatures with the fire subtype, but again they'd need to have HD = 1/2 your ETL or less.

Troacctid
2016-02-23, 05:23 PM
I actually already have the normal Touchstone feat, so it would fit the flavor to have the planar version too. Or perhaps convince my DM to combine the two. Only picked it up to qualify for Sand Shaper.

You can choose planar touchstones for the Touchstone feat. They're essentially the same feat, except Planar Touchstone requires Knowledge (the planes).

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-23, 05:25 PM
You can choose planar touchstones for the Touchstone feat. They're essentially the same feat, except Planar Touchstone requires Knowledge (the planes).

I'm AFB but i'm fairly sure you need to be attuned to a specific touchstone site for Sandshaper, so that wouldn't work.

Necroticplague
2016-02-23, 05:35 PM
I'm AFB but i'm fairly sure you need to be attuned to a specific touchstone site for Sandshaper, so that wouldn't work.

You need the Touchstone feat, but it doesn't have to be for anywhere in particular.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-24, 02:00 AM
You need the Touchstone feat, but it doesn't have to be for anywhere in particular.

According to my copy of Sandstorm you need to be attuned to the City of the Dead.

Inevitability
2016-02-24, 03:01 AM
Ooh thats a good one, I could probably make that happen. Still really cumbersome, whould need several minions to carry it.

Alternatively, an item able to cast Suspension (Shining South) every week or so would make moving the box trivial. It's a great spell for transporting heavy stuff.

Or you could put wheels below the box. Boring but practical.