PDA

View Full Version : Speculation The Illest Skillist

PeteNutButter
2016-02-23, 09:55 AM
Just wondering how to learn the most skills/be the best at them through character building. Here's what I came up with, but I'm sure I'm missing something:
Be a Regular Human: 13, 14, 14, 13, 13, 14.

1 Rogue, starts w the most skills
2 Ranger +1 skill
3 Cleric Knowledge Domain gives +2
4-5 Bard gives +1 and jack of all trades.
6-7 Bladesinger gives perform
8-15 Purple Dragon Knight gives persuasion

All in all that should be 7 at lvl one plus 6 by lvl fifteen is 13 skills. I think that makes only 5 on the sheet that you don't have. I didn't bother counting tools.

What's the character do other than skill checks? Maybe dex fighter? Can you make a better character that still has the most/more skills?

EDIT: Forgot about the awful feat. That makes 16.

tieren
2016-02-23, 10:28 AM
Just wondering how to learn the most skills/be the best at them through character building. Here's what I came up with, but I'm sure I'm missing something:
Be a Regular Human: 13, 14, 14, 13, 13, 14.

1 Rogue, starts w the most skills
2 Ranger +1 skill
3 Cleric Knowledge Domain gives +2
4-5 Bard gives +1 and jack of all trades.
6-7 Bladesinger gives perform
8-15 Purple Dragon Knight gives persuasion

All in all that should be 7 at lvl one plus 6 by lvl fifteen is 13 skills. I think that makes only 5 on the sheet that you don't have. I didn't bother counting tools.

What's the character do other than skill checks? Maybe dex fighter? Can you make a better character that still has the most/more skills?

EDIT: Forgot about the awful feat. That makes 16.

I think you would want at least three levels of bard for the college of lore bonus proficiencies.

Personally I think the ultimate skill monkey would be rogue 6/bard 14.

You'd get the 4 for starting rogue (plus 2 more from the background), the 1 for MC bard and three more for college of lore for 10 base (not counting you could pick up more from the feat if you wanted, but I wouldn't want). 8 would have expertise, and Jack of All trades and peerless skill from bard would let you make every other skill check at half proficiency + d10, not counting picking up the guidance cantrip to make them with another +d4.

Talamare
2016-02-23, 10:38 AM
Half Elf +2
Skilled +3
Rogue 1 +4
Cleric 1 +2
Bard 3 +4
Warlock 2 +2
Rogue 6 +Expertise
Bard 10 +Expertise

Proficiency in all skills, Expertise in 6

OR

Half Elf +2
Skilled +3
Rogue 1 +4
Cleric 1 +2
Bard 3 +4
Warlock 2 +2
Rogue 11 +Reliability

Rogue 11 makes it so that you always roll a minimal of 10

PeteNutButter
2016-02-23, 10:38 AM
I think you would want at least three levels of bard for the college of lore bonus proficiencies.

Personally I think the ultimate skill monkey would be rogue 6/bard 14.

You'd get the 4 for starting rogue (plus 2 more from the background), the 1 for MC bard and three more for college of lore for 10 base (not counting you could pick up more from the feat if you wanted, but I wouldn't want). 8 would have expertise, and Jack of All trades and peerless skill from bard would let you make every other skill check at half proficiency + d10, not counting picking up the guidance cantrip to make them with another +d4.

Ah there you go, 3 more from lore college, and then you can drop the 7 lvls of purple dragon knight AND bladesinger, and have every skill by lvl 7 since you'd need 4 lvls in bard to get the skilled feat. And Half-elf nets another skill over human.

PeteNutButter
2016-02-23, 10:41 AM
Also any idea on how the knowledge domain feature interacts with expertise if at all? They do the same thing so nothing?

Talamare
2016-02-23, 10:44 AM
Also any idea on how the knowledge domain feature interacts with expertise if at all? They do the same thing so nothing?

Michio Kaku - Nothing

tieren
2016-02-23, 11:03 AM
Half Elf +2
Skilled +3
Rogue 1 +4
Cleric 1 +2
Bard 3 +4
Warlock 2 +2
Rogue 6 +Expertise
Bard 10 +Expertise

Proficiency in all skills, Expertise in 6

Wouldn't you get 4 expertise from rogue (at levels 1 and 6) and 4 from bard (at levels 3 and 10) for 8 total? And if you didn't use any of those expertise on the 2 skills you got from the knowledge cleric feature it would double your proficiency (a de facto expertise) in those two skills, effectively giving you 10 with expertise?

Talamare
2016-02-23, 01:49 PM
Wouldn't you get 4 expertise from rogue (at levels 1 and 6) and 4 from bard (at levels 3 and 10) for 8 total? And if you didn't use any of those expertise on the 2 skills you got from the knowledge cleric feature it would double your proficiency (a de facto expertise) in those two skills, effectively giving you 10 with expertise?

Sorry, yea I typed that in a bit of a rush.
Yep, Expertise in 10

Sigreid
2016-02-23, 03:04 PM
Dont forget background skills.
Edit and half elf for racial.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-23, 07:13 PM
Scout fighter also gives proficiency in 3 skills.