PDA

View Full Version : Streets of Atalya Volume Two: Tentacles

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

boxboy582
2007-11-29, 12:23 AM
Vodette

Vodette continues to chuckle and nod her head just enough to maintain a polite listening front. Her eyes wander around the room looking for anything that may be out of place.

So thats it? We're leaving? Why does it feel like we haven't gotten anything yet? And why is everyone acting so strangely? What has happened to them that has changed them so much in that short period we were away from them? Everything is just creating more questions. We need to find an answer somewhere!

Will this Jennaris fellow have the answers we're looking for?

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-29, 01:42 AM
Horacio

I think they got a prophecy that hit a little too close to home, and they're realizing something is seriously wrong beneath the surface of their family. If they're scared it'll be like when Aerin died...

...I don't blame them for acting like this. Don't worry, Vodette, it'll fall into place sooner or later. We'll figure out what's causing this and cut it off before it does any damage.

Toliudar
2007-11-29, 02:17 AM
Daewell

Sharing a regretful moment with Horacio in the kitchen, Daewell finishes his cocoa in the kitchen, and then heads back into the living room. Pulling out the cube, he focuses next on the chamber they've just left in the temple of Xan Yae.

Let's see if this thing will take us back through the temple's defenses. If not, I believe the portal will simply fail to open. Good to establish the limits of this thing when it's not quite so life-and-death.

He pauses and turns to Aurora.

Madam, a pleasure meeting such a vibrant and capable practitioner. I'd be delighted to compare notes further after...after all this is over.

He slips a pair of fingers into a small pocket, and withdraws a small rectangle of paper.

My card. Oh, and I suppose that that might prove useful, should you need to try to scry us or connect by magical means in the days ahead.

He becomes sombre, and glances towards the bedroom.

I'm...very sorry if we've added to any sorrow in your lives. It seems our lot to increase turmoil before we settle it.

Smiling wryly, he looks at each of Vodette, Horacio and Kumaru.

All set?

He sets the cube down on the ground and stares down at it.

Spellcraft [roll0] to activate the cube again.

WhammeWhamme
2007-11-29, 03:56 AM
OOC: Just ignore that last line... hopefully this elf WILL leave and let me sneak behind him soon enough.

"Maricaur, hyes. Hmy buthineth? Iht thould have been explained thowoughwy. Thtuff motht thecret, I athure hyou.

Hmy name thould thuffithe."

He draws himself up and looks utterly pompous, placing his hand over his heart, somewhat awkwardly since his wrist is surrounded by overly ornate ruffles which do not quite fit.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-29, 04:07 AM
Horacio

Horacio nods silently, glancing over at Daewell as he concentrates. He turns back to Aurora.

"Tell Nightfang & Scarlet we'll do what we can, Aurora..."

He stays silent after that until they've warped.

boxboy582
2007-11-29, 12:32 PM
Vodette

Quickly adding on to the end of Horacio's sentence.

And that we'll always be around to lend a hand when we can. Give Nightfang our best.

Vodette moves next to Dae and nods.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-01, 01:44 AM
(I'm sorry if this took a little while, it's not going to be a solitary occurrence: classes, job, and Christmas in general have jumped on my ass and started squealing, "faster, pony, faster!" I will be as forthcoming as I can, but expect frequent gaps in posting until January. I will make up for it by giving you more naked ladies. Voila.)

Nightfang's Living Room-

Aurora smiles, a little, and takes Daewell's card.

"I'm sure everything'll work out alright... more or less. The gods play with the mortals they like, but they always put their toys back, ne? Have a safe and swift journey, my friends."

The cube opens into the portal once more in the same spectacular manner, and deposits them back into a room that looks like the temple. Except, not exactly the same room they were in before...

"Ahem."

Turning around, Vodette, Horacio, and Daewell find themselves confronting whom Horace recognizes as the temple's senior priestess of Xan Yae, stepping out of her shower wearing a couple of wash cloths and a decidedly disgruntled expression.

"I'll want to study that thing when you're done with it," she says remarkably casually, "Door's to your left."

Arnie's House-

"Ah, so you DID manage to find him, then? Wonderful, wonderful. Yes, please, do come in! Ah, Tokugal, no, this ensemble would not work for you, a think perhaps a darker tone, maybe something in indigo? Delightful contrast with your hair... ah, but you have questions for me? Sit, please, make yourselves at home. The tree was a special order, yes, eastern cherry with a bit of willow to make the branches more whippy. It looks fantastic in a proper wind, for all of ten seconds. But you have questions for me. Please, please, I am a wellspring of gossip and I have earfuls for you, what do you need to know now? Someone's dress size? Or would it be more about demonic swords? Not my area of expertise, but I do enjoy the occasional bout of frantic ecclectic research..."

Aerin's Dad's Place-

The sexually ambiguous elf glares down at Dai with vicibly growing frustration in his twitching eye. The maid pokes her head out of the hallway behind it and stage whispers, "Urge to kill! Rising!"

"DON'T YOU HAVE SOME FINGERS TO MAKE INTO SANDWICHES!?"

"Eep! Yes sir!"

*twitch* "...I will inform the master that you are here."

It stomps off, leaving Dai and Terry momentarily alone, to do whatever it is they want to do.

(For the record, -should- he recognize the name? And if so, precisely how intimidated should he be?)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-01, 02:42 AM
Horacio

Horacio quickly turns his eyes away.

"Of course, Your, um, er- We'll get back to you on that once we've worked out the kinks."

Horacio quickly exits, stage left, and heads back for their rooms. Once they arrive there...

Well, Kumoru, let's discuss it...

Toliudar
2007-12-01, 04:44 PM
Daewell

Mutely, Daewell feels the blood rush back into his cheeks. He turns to pick up the cube, and quickly slides it away. He slips out of the room with the others.

The kinks? Oh, he meant the endpoint confirmation protocol.

Erm. Sorry about that, all. Still a few rough points to go over.

She seemed nice, though.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-01, 04:50 PM
Horacio

Horacio nods. "You don't become a head priestess of Xan Yae if you can't keep your cool in unusual situations. She's quite tolerant."

I won't tell him that she can also walk through walls, knows how to use four dozen poisons, and could kill him by tomorrow if she didn't like him.

Toliudar
2007-12-01, 04:52 PM
Daewell

High priestess? Oh. Well, perhaps an apology note when this is all over would be appropriate.

Daewell's mind, though, is clearly already on to other matters.

Vodette, if you still need to do some shopping, I'd be pleased to show you some of the more reputable merchants in town. There may be a few items I'd like to pick up myself.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-01, 05:00 PM
Horacio

"That apology better have study notes on the Port Cube, then.

"And if you can't find something with the more 'reputable' merchants, I know plenty of trustworthy places to get them from the black market."

But first, I think Kumoru wants to explain something.

WhammeWhamme
2007-12-01, 05:28 PM
OOC: Dai was pulling it out of his backside.

Dai starts looking around, trying to find anything that would seem to his eyes to be connected to Aerin. He affects a bored look, expecting the angry elf to be back soon, and ripe for another line of baloney.

PolkaBear
2007-12-02, 04:29 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal had a bemused grin as Arnie led them inside. "Yes, we found Nightfang. He and Scarlet are quite an impressive couple. Helped, too. And we met that demonic sword. And...wow! So much has happened in the last 48 hours, I could hardly begin to recount it all. When it's all done, we'll get together over some warm drinks and I'll fill you in. You could appreciate the tale."

"There are a couple of specific things I was wondering. You were the one to introduce Aerin and Gaudemus, right? How did that go, and what did you think of their romance? I was also wondering if there was anywhere that they considered their 'special place.'"

After the discussion of Aerin and Gaudemus, Tokugal asked, "You seem to have a rather eclectic body of knowledge, so perhaps you've heard something about this: is it possible to raise a dead body and empower it with psionic energy--sort of like a psionic lich? What would that sort of process take, and who would have the power to do such a thing?"

boxboy582
2007-12-02, 06:45 PM
Vodette

Vodette quickly scurries out of the bathroom after Horacio and Dae.

Actually, I'd be interested in both of your offers. I'm not exactly sure what I want, though. Maybe it'll be one of those "I know it when I see it" moments. Plus, shopping is just so much fun, why not go? Any idea how much time we'll have before we have to meet up with the others?

Toliudar
2007-12-02, 06:55 PM
Daewell

Well, I'm heading over to the Academy, which tends to specialize in spells and magical writings, but there's also a smithy near there that has a fair range of weapons and armour. It might be a useful place for you to start.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-02, 08:03 PM
Horacio

"Academy? Smithy?" Horacio thinks for a moment. "Tahlion showed me something last night I'd like you to look into, Daewell: she had a memory of a glowing, sparking hammer that dripped blood."

Tahlion, could you show him an image of the hammer?

"My guess is it has something to do with her forging... and Kinslayer's.

"...She would also like to know if there's any way to manipulate a construct. Now that she remembers what it's like to be an elf, she would like to be able to walk on her own again."

Toliudar
2007-12-02, 09:08 PM
Daewell

Upon receiving the image of the hammer, Daewell nods.

I can certainly do a bit of research into the hammer, although it'll be tomorrow rather than today, if I'm to be getting to both the academy and the Bastion.

As for Tahlion's desire for increased flexibility - I'm sure it's possible, and it would be an honour to serve in assisting to do so...but that'll need to wait until after the crisis. Such work is usually time consuming, and I'd hate to get it wrong by rushing it.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-02, 10:02 PM
Horacio

Horacio nods. "Of course. If you think of a faster way to take care of it temporarily, let us know, okay?"

Horacio turns back to Kumoru, awaiting what he has to say.

Toliudar
2007-12-02, 10:26 PM
Daewell

The wizard shrugged.

I am less familiar with the intricacies of mentalism. Perhaps Vera could assist with something in the interim - a way to make the internal be expressed externally?

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-02, 11:20 PM
Horacio

"Vera and I are already going through psionic exercises with Tahlion. She has a knack for it. We'll see what unfolds."

Horacio pats Tahlion's hilt.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-05, 03:28 PM
Terry looks quietly at Dai. Though his body language reads bored mercenary hireling, he subtly pantomimes a hand at Dai. He vaguely wishes he could speak telepathically.
We'll scope the whole house out later. I'm good at that. Besides, they might have magical scrying on their foyer. Man, does Dai have any mental wards like I do? Man, I hope so.

WhammeWhamme
2007-12-05, 06:25 PM
"Being kehpt hwaiting ith tho boring. Ooh. That looks interwethting, and hwe ah guethtth."

Dai searches like a bored fop; that is, quickly.

{No sense in wasting time, and it's not like this is out of character for this persona..."

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-05, 11:15 PM
The Temple of Xan Yae-

Tahlion does indeed show Daewell an image of a smithing hammer surrounded by a flaming aura and dripping blood. It looks remarkably like images he may have seen of Moradin's holy symbol, but is clearly a far darker piece of imagery.

Kumoru just smiles at the priestess as they leave, though his expression becomes much more grim afterwards. "It's really just making the most of what we know. There's clearly some malefactor at work that we can't guess at, a third or fourth party who's manipulating events in subtle ways. Trying to randomly figure out whom that other party is would take too long, but in the course of a few days I can narrow it down. I'm going to find my father's grave. And make sure he's in it."

Arnie's House-

Arnie smiles fondly at the memories. "Ah, yes, I suppose you could say I introduced them, but it was serendipity really. They met in the garden while Aerin's father and I discussed things, and when we came out they two of them were just hitting it off like nobody's business. Her father didn't seem too keen on it, at first, but Gaudemus could be pretty charming when he put his mind to it, and, well, he was worth quite a lot of money."

The matchmaker pauses and taps his chin while he searches his mind. "They made quite a couple, at least in public. There were rumors that the courtship and the marriage were troubled, of course, but looking at them, who wouldn't assume as much? I never saw them look at each other with anything but affection, though. And they were certainly a match for one another, I must say. I remember one gala I attended while they were engaged, some terribly whorish noblewoman was chasing poor Gaudemus around and trying to seduce him or something. Finally in desperation he brought Aerin over and said oh have you met my fiance? And Aerin said she was feeling somewhat tired and could they perhaps turn in for the evening?"

A smile slowly stretches across the pale, thin face. Firethena perks up.

"Oh, hey, I remember that. When they turned to leave the bitch calls after them that she felt sorry for Gaudemus, since his 'lover doesn't appear to have that much stamina.'"

"Precisely!" crows Arnie, "Such a thing to say, and in such company! Gaudemus... well, you couldn't read his expression under that helmet, but his eyes were literally glowing red."

"They only did that when he was about to kill someone," Firethena supplies.

"Well, the poor dumb thing should have been grateful Aerin was there, because she just laid a hand on his arm, turned towards her, and she says,'Oh, dear, you don't understand, I'm only tired because he used up all of my stamina three times this morning, and that does take it out of a girl.'"

"Place was already quiet, but it went dead silent with that," Firethena chortles.

"But the best part," laughs Arnie, "is after that, Aerin looks the woman up and down, and adds, 'but you look remarkably well-rested, so I suppose you wouldn't understand.'"

"Look on her face was priceless," giggles Firethena.

"Then they get to the door," continues Arnie, "and Gaudemus stops, pulls off his helmet, dips Aerin almost to the floor, and plants one on her like he'd just gotten out of prison. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. You can't tell me two people who can put on a performance like that don't have chemistry."

His reaction to Tokugal's second question is the polar opposite- his face goes carefully blank, and he slips his hands behind his back, cocking his head to one side in apparent curiosity.

"Psionic liches? Really, my friend, what makes you think I'd know anything about that sort of thing?"

Aerin's Father's House-

The foyer is fairly typical as far as rich folks' foyers go- a few bits of plush furniture, and some ostentatious knick knacks. There are a couple of paintings, and all of them seem to feature the same, tall, stern-looking elven man with dark, unusually straight hair, and a somewhat surly disposition. One of the paintings features him riding a horse and holding aloft an elven lightblade in a typical aristocrat's portrait fashion. Another appears to be a family portrait, and shows him standing next to a somewhat plump and dull-looking elven woman, with what appears to be their son standing between them.

The third portrait is probably the most interesting- far more lifelike than the other two, it features the elven man in a much more natural pose underneath a beautiful tree in the middle of what appears to be a colorful garden. His expression is somewhat confused, if slightly amused. There's something oddly familiar about the brushwork.

While you're waiting, the maid tip-toes back into the room with a plate of finger sandwiches. "Ah, sirs? If you are hungry, um, I do have some snacks prepared..."

She pauses, looks around, and then continues in a hushed voice, "but you'd probably be better off just leaving, please? The master of the house is in very poor health, especially since the deaths of his wife and son a few years back. I beg you not to strain him overmuch. He's given me a very generous paycheck, and I doubt there;ll be much severence pay if he kicks the bucket."

(Sorry that pause was so long, I had hoped to get on more often than that, but I caught pneumonia or something a few days ago and I've kind of been swimming in and out of consciousness since. >_> I'm feeling better now, tho.)

PolkaBear
2007-12-06, 12:49 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

The story brought tears to Tokugal's eyes, and his cheeks felt stretched from smiling and laughing. When he caught his breath, "I'm glad to hear that it seemed genuine. So little is, anymore--especially in circles of power. What was it that brought them together so strongly, do you think?"

His brows came together as he treated the question as a sincere one, not merely a dodge. "First, you have a remarkable breadth of knowledge. That's been apparent both times we've visited; and it's something I've always aspired to attain, so it stuck out in my mind. It's true that people read too much into brief impressions, so maybe I'm idealizing a quality that I admire. On the other hand, you admit a love for 'eclectic research;' and I have no idea how widely those researches have ranged unless I ask. Third, you strike me--and I told Vera and Firethena as much--as a man who makes matches for the sheer pleasure of it, but that you're far deeper than you let on. Again, I might be wrong; and if so, forgive me."

"Last...well, it might be significant to our quest--but even more, someone's life may depend upon figuring this stuff out. He's not quite--not yet--a friend, but he seems a good man. I guess there's a part of me that's desperate to help him and keep him from dying. Maybe I'm making too many assumptions too quickly about people I meet, but...."

He glanced at Vera and Firethena for some indication how much he should disclose about Kumoru's condition, then proceeded cautiously. "We seem to have encountered such a creature--such a man. This man I mentioned, actually. He's different than anything I've ever read or heard or assumed about liches. None of the rotting, none of the negative energy, none of the malevolence you hear about. Apparently, he didn't even do it to himself--it was done to him." He shook his head. "I don't even know if that's accurate, this is so far out of my experience. One of my old mentors--a former employer--tried to go the way of lichdom. That's why I left, actually: as soon as I saw where his interests were directed, I didn't want any part of it. He was doing it the traditional way--phylactery, unspeakable evil, and all that. I found a little Vecna action golem stowed in one of his drawers, with a 'Power Punching Hand' that flew off when you pressed a button on the thing's back. Not the sort of business I wanted to get mixed up with. Would have been better for him if he left it alone, too: I hear a failed transformation is a bad way to go."

"This situation seems worlds apart from that one, though. Totally different. So I'd like to help, if I could. If you don't know anything--although I did notice that your question wasn't a denial--then I'll ask elsewhere. If there's a chance that you can point us in the right direction, as you have before, then I'm willing to ask odd questions and hope that somewhere there's an answer."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-06, 01:11 AM
Horacio

Horacio nods. "I wouldn't be surprised... if something happens, could you give us a few clues we might follow up on? Like his name, or where he kept his lab; whoever said the dead tell no tales never tried rooting through their stuff."

Toliudar
2007-12-06, 10:18 AM
Daewell

Daewell nods, waiting until after Kumaru has had a chance to respond to Horacio's questions.

Would you like a...lift? I think that, with the cube, there's a good chance I could get you to the place where you'd be starting your search, anyway.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-09, 09:44 PM
The Temple-

Kumoru shakes his head, slowly. "Thanks, Daewell, but I'll be fine on my own. It's... kind of personal. I need to do this my own way. But I think I can get some answers soon enough for it to matter."

He glances at Horacio.

"And I'll be sure to contact you as soon as I know something. If I need to. If my dear old dad is still up and around, it'll be hard to miss the fireworks when I catch up with him."

Arnie's Place

Arnie listens quietly to Tokugal, visibly wrestling with an internal decision. He pauses for a long moment, then, "...I would like to help you in that area, really, but I can't-"

"Oh, just tell him what you know you old fossil," Firethena interjects with a huff. "We all know you're a lich already."

Arnie's eyes literally shoot out of their sockets, rebound off the wall, and then bounce along the ground for a second before coming to a stop in front of Vera. She looks vaguely ill.

"I AM NOT ow ow ow damnit someone help me find those please thanks."

"... oh, yeah, you're not undead at all, nope..."

"I said I wasn't a lich," Arnie mutters sulkily, which is a really wierd effect on a guy with no eyes. "And I'm not. I'm not technically undead. I'm a chosen one of Evening Glory."

"... so... deathless...?"

Arnie shakes his head. "Evening Glory is neither good nor evil, she only preaches blind love, and accepts that this contains elements of both. I don't channel negative or positive energy, I just... channel -her- energy. It's rare, and it's usually unstable unless a deity is involved, but beings have been known to remain alive beyond physical death simply because they were exposed to a source of energy that kept their souls connected to their corporeal frame. The most common example is a psion who was able to stave off death for a period of some years by feeding off of psionic energy he'd kept stored withing dorge stones. Attempts have been made to duplicate the process, but the closest anyone's come is to create a sort of psionic lich, which is really just psionics mixed with necromancy. Is that more or less what your sort of friend is dealing with?" he asks at last, glancing at Tokugal.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-09, 10:18 PM
Horacio

Horacio frowns.

That still doesn't answer my questions, Kumoru. *sigh* Just assure me our info about him won't die with you...

"We'll watch out. Meet me in the Black Room before you leave, okay?"

He turns to Daewell & Vodette. "You two can head off, I've already done my shopping for today. I'll catch up with the researchers; the scouters probably wouldn't appreciate me interrupting them.

"If you have any more research to do later, Dae, I'd suggest doing it here. I think Vera wants to look at that travel cube with you. She's an expert on interplanar travel, and she can get you back here if you find another 'kink' in the workings."

(OOC: Mags, how many posts would Horacio have to wait to join up with Tokugal & the gals? Could Horacio even figure out where they went, either by a note left behind or by contacting Vera telepathically? I'd like to meet up with them while they're still at Arnie's.)

Toliudar
2007-12-09, 10:36 PM
Daewell

I will take that...under advisement, uh, Hor. Nonetheless, I am of course more familiar with the work of my own lab. Perhaps I could contact Firethena about working together there. But my next research must be undertaken at the Bastion, not at this church.

He smiles, and turns to Vodette.

Shall we, madam?

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-09, 11:29 PM
Horacio

Horacio frowns at the name shortening.

"Just call me Horace. Shortening it more sounds awkward, 'D*ck'. And I wouldn't ask Firethena to research it without inviting Vera along, too. She's very... assertive about things that interest her."

Gods, does he even have an inkling about her?

Toliudar
2007-12-10, 10:04 AM
Daewell

The wizard relaxes a bit, and actually grins.

I understand - I feel much the same way about Daewell.

And he is off into the evening air.

PolkaBear
2007-12-10, 10:56 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal finished retreiving the fallen eyeballs and handed them back over. I had forgotten how leathery eyeballs feel. "They feel a little dry. You might want to try a saline solution," he recommended as he placed them into Arnie's hand.

Knowledge (religion) check on Evening Glory:
[roll0]

"I don't know if that's exactly the same situation as our friend, because I'm deaf--blind, or whatever--to the psionic forces at work. Vera was the one who made the initial assessment. Still, it sounds about right, if his own body was one of these dorje things. There does seem to be some reservoir of psionic potential that it's tapping, so that matches; and it's neither negative nor positive energy. The odd part is that he was reinvigorated well after his death, so it wasn't just 'staving off death' or 'extending life.' Would that even be possible without an outside influence? As the picture is now, I'd probably be most concerned about, first, stabilizing him and, second, the identity of the one who brought him back. I guess there might be a god or goddess involved in the situation just because of his wrongful death at the end of a demonic sword, or perhaps because of the situation we're trying to track down now with Gaudemus; but didn't you say that he was slowly draining away the energy store, Vera?"

boxboy582
2007-12-10, 05:47 PM
Vodette

Vodette nods to Dae and follows him out into the street.

So where are we going first?

Toliudar
2007-12-11, 09:53 AM
Daewell

Well, if any of the items you want are forged, there's a certain smith I know who works closely with some local wizards, and sometimes with the Church. Otherwise, we might as well head straight to the Academy.

So...I suppose that it's up to you.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-12, 07:45 PM
Terry just quietly shakes his head at the servingwoman and speaks gruffly.
"What the boss wants, the boss gets. I'll try, though."

boxboy582
2007-12-13, 01:11 AM
Vodette

Glancing down at the rapiers at her side, Vodette shrugs her shoulders at Dae.

Well, I'm happy with the weapons I've got so I guess it's off to the Academy.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-16, 01:30 AM
The Temple-

Kumoru smiles. Heh, we all must die sometime, and I figure I've been given more of a second chance than most people get. But don't worry, I don't have any intention of just giving this new life up, either. I'll be back, one way or another.

(Vera can contact Horacio mentally and tell him where they are, and the time lapse when they went to Arnie's house allows for him to show up now or however much later you want.)

Aerin's Dad's House-

(Kind of waiting for Dai to reply here...)

Arnie's Crib-

(Tokugal would probably be aware that Evening Glory is a goddess of undeath with the very specific portfolio of encouraging undeath as a means of prolonging romantic relationships. To her devoted, "'til death do us part" has no meaning. She's fairly benign, particularly for a diety encouraging the creation of undead, and little is known about her specific rites and traditions.)

Vera seems to be mentally very far away for a moment, and then snaps back to reality. "Huh? Yes. Whatever stockpile of psionic energy is keeping Kumoru alive is slowly draining away, and it doesn't seem to be restoring itself. I can't say I have any clue where it's coming from, though, it's almost like it's inside him somewhere, but that doesn't make a lot of sense."

Arnie frowns as he sticks his eyes back into place, wiggling them around a little bit until the pupils are facing in the right direction. "Hmmm, that's outside my experience, to tell the truth. As far as I'm aware, people who get killed by demonic swords usually stay killed, but I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule. What does that have to do with Gaudemus, though?"

(Finals are over! Yay! Now excuse me while I die so I can get some sleep. ^_^)

PolkaBear
2007-12-16, 08:26 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal frowned. "Yeah, so...hm. Well, the demonic sword belonged to Gaudemus. It had--has--a mind of its own. Killed Gaudemus' brother; but it didn't eat his soul, which was odd. Even the sword says it was odd. It's the brother we've been discussing. Who would go through the trouble of reviving him? If the psionic reserve was Kumoru's, why would it stick around after he died? How would the reviver know about it in order to tie Kumoru's revivification to it?" He shook his head. "I just don't have answers. What you've said gives us a little background to go on, though. Thank you, Arnie."

[[OOC: Dying's not a sure-fire way of getting rest, Mags--just look at Kumoru]]

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-16, 02:46 PM
Horacio

"Who would go through the trouble of reviving him? Someone experimenting."

Horacio's voice suddenly comes from behind Tokugal and the others. (Listen 36 check to hear him walk in before he speaks.)

"And what if the reviver didn't know about the psionic reserve? What if they tried a different tack and mistook a delayed success for a failure? If they knew he was revived, they would've greeted him when he popped out, unless they don't want him to know they're observing him."

Horacio walks up and nods in greeting, stopping next to Firethena & Vera. "Arnie, Tokugal, Vera, Firethena..." *small smile* "We finished early. Daewell & Vodette went shopping."

Rolls: Move Silently: 36 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1428985)
Bluff (1d20=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1429670)

WhammeWhamme
2007-12-16, 06:44 PM
The Temple of Xan Yae-

Tahlion does indeed show Daewell an image of a smithing hammer surrounded by a flaming aura and dripping blood. It looks remarkably like images he may have seen of Moradin's holy symbol, but is clearly a far darker piece of imagery.

Kumoru just smiles at the priestess as they leave, though his expression becomes much more grim afterwards. "It's really just making the most of what we know. There's clearly some malefactor at work that we can't guess at, a third or fourth party who's manipulating events in subtle ways. Trying to randomly figure out whom that other party is would take too long, but in the course of a few days I can narrow it down. I'm going to find my father's grave. And make sure he's in it."

Arnie's House-

Arnie smiles fondly at the memories. "Ah, yes, I suppose you could say I introduced them, but it was serendipity really. They met in the garden while Aerin's father and I discussed things, and when we came out they two of them were just hitting it off like nobody's business. Her father didn't seem too keen on it, at first, but Gaudemus could be pretty charming when he put his mind to it, and, well, he was worth quite a lot of money."

The matchmaker pauses and taps his chin while he searches his mind. "They made quite a couple, at least in public. There were rumors that the courtship and the marriage were troubled, of course, but looking at them, who wouldn't assume as much? I never saw them look at each other with anything but affection, though. And they were certainly a match for one another, I must say. I remember one gala I attended while they were engaged, some terribly whorish noblewoman was chasing poor Gaudemus around and trying to seduce him or something. Finally in desperation he brought Aerin over and said oh have you met my fiance? And Aerin said she was feeling somewhat tired and could they perhaps turn in for the evening?"

A smile slowly stretches across the pale, thin face. Firethena perks up.

"Oh, hey, I remember that. When they turned to leave the bitch calls after them that she felt sorry for Gaudemus, since his 'lover doesn't appear to have that much stamina.'"

"Precisely!" crows Arnie, "Such a thing to say, and in such company! Gaudemus... well, you couldn't read his expression under that helmet, but his eyes were literally glowing red."

"They only did that when he was about to kill someone," Firethena supplies.

"Well, the poor dumb thing should have been grateful Aerin was there, because she just laid a hand on his arm, turned towards her, and she says,'Oh, dear, you don't understand, I'm only tired because he used up all of my stamina three times this morning, and that does take it out of a girl.'"

"Place was already quiet, but it went dead silent with that," Firethena chortles.

"But the best part," laughs Arnie, "is after that, Aerin looks the woman up and down, and adds, 'but you look remarkably well-rested, so I suppose you wouldn't understand.'"

"Look on her face was priceless," giggles Firethena.

"Then they get to the door," continues Arnie, "and Gaudemus stops, pulls off his helmet, dips Aerin almost to the floor, and plants one on her like he'd just gotten out of prison. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. You can't tell me two people who can put on a performance like that don't have chemistry."

His reaction to Tokugal's second question is the polar opposite- his face goes carefully blank, and he slips his hands behind his back, cocking his head to one side in apparent curiosity.

"Psionic liches? Really, my friend, what makes you think I'd know anything about that sort of thing?"

Aerin's Father's House-

The foyer is fairly typical as far as rich folks' foyers go- a few bits of plush furniture, and some ostentatious knick knacks. There are a couple of paintings, and all of them seem to feature the same, tall, stern-looking elven man with dark, unusually straight hair, and a somewhat surly disposition. One of the paintings features him riding a horse and holding aloft an elven lightblade in a typical aristocrat's portrait fashion. Another appears to be a family portrait, and shows him standing next to a somewhat plump and dull-looking elven woman, with what appears to be their son standing between them.

The third portrait is probably the most interesting- far more lifelike than the other two, it features the elven man in a much more natural pose underneath a beautiful tree in the middle of what appears to be a colorful garden. His expression is somewhat confused, if slightly amused. There's something oddly familiar about the brushwork.

While you're waiting, the maid tip-toes back into the room with a plate of finger sandwiches. "Ah, sirs? If you are hungry, um, I do have some snacks prepared..."

She pauses, looks around, and then continues in a hushed voice, "but you'd probably be better off just leaving, please? The master of the house is in very poor health, especially since the deaths of his wife and son a few years back. I beg you not to strain him overmuch. He's given me a very generous paycheck, and I doubt there;ll be much severence pay if he kicks the bucket."

(Sorry that pause was so long, I had hoped to get on more often than that, but I caught pneumonia or something a few days ago and I've kind of been swimming in and out of consciousness since. >_> I'm feeling better now, tho.)

OOC: Oops. Sorry, missed this.

Dai looks around to make sure the annoying elf is elsewhere. He then speaks to the maid in equally hushed tones.

"I have every sympathy for the old man. I've been blustering in because I'm an undercover investigator and I have to cover this angle, but if I could talk to you outside once you get off work then I won't need to bother the old man. I even have authority to pay a small reward, if that helps. Sound fair?"

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-18, 01:59 AM
Terry facepalms.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-18, 02:21 AM
Arnie's House-

Arnie leaps about a foot in the air when Horacio speaks up. He puts a hand over his chest and mutters something about being glad his heart doesn't beat anyway.

"Ah... so, Gaudemus had a brother? I wasn't aware of that. Interesting."

Vera winks at Horacio and waves hello. Friethena smiles and pats him on the noggin. "Everything go well?" she asks.

Aerin's Dad's Crib-

The maid's eyes double in size, and then she leads forward and whispers breathlessly, "Sounds good to me! I get off around sunset! I'll meet you in the stable out back, and..." She pauses, eyes a glitter. "...you're a good undercover investigator, right? You won't seduce me with your worldly wiles and then leave me behind... will you?"

The androgynous elf pokes their head into the room, prompting the maid to flee with a small shriek and a bustle of petticoats. The elf blinks.

"... uh, the master will see you now, sirs."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-18, 03:02 AM
Horacio

Horacio frowns and rubs his head. "Told you not to pat me on the- sod it, doesn't matter...

"We got what we needed, but we touched a few sore spots. Aurora bearing bad news didn't help, either. Scarlet was ready to flambe us, but she just broke down crying instead."

Horacio shakes his head. "Being roasted would've felt better... I'll give you the details later.

"So, come up with anything here, or have you just been comparing types of liches? By the way, Tokugal, you should ask Arnie what to get a half-gold dragon elven mage looking for a nice man."

Horacio's eyes drift over to the fire elf and he slowly grins. "They were discussing you in particular..."

WhammeWhamme
2007-12-18, 04:53 AM
Inwardly planning to claim a mistake was made in who he came to see, Dai allows himself to be shown in. "Thahnk hyouweh. I thall compweat hmy buthinethth mohmehntawiwy. Fowwow hmee, Bwututh."

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-18, 11:14 AM
Terry gives a long-suffering huff.
"Yes, boss..."

PolkaBear
2007-12-18, 04:23 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

The elf's eyes widened and the points of his ears turned pink. He grinned dumbly and made a few meaningless noises before he regained his tongue.

"Why, yes, I'll have to point a note to make. *ahem* I'll make a note of it, just in case I come across any nice men. Or elves. Fire elves. What would you suggest, Arnie?"

His eyes flick back to Horacio. He's clearly dying to ask what was said.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-18, 05:24 PM
Horacio

Horacio glances at Tokugal, then goes on.

"Single, virgin, sounds like she's well-traveled, likes new experiences, wants a man 'whose idea of foreplay isn't slapping me on the ass'. She didn't say whether she wanted something more tender or elaborate; probably both..."

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-20, 10:51 PM
(Argh. I tried to reply to this yesterday, but the board freaked out and ate my post. Bad Internets, stop screwing around! Bad internets! Oh man, it was an awesome reply, too. I almost hate to have to rewrite it because I know it won't be as awesome the second time. Oh, woe is me, and whatnot.)

Arnie's Crib-

Firethena's eyes widen in alarm. "She was crying? For the gods' sake, Horacio, what did you all tell her?"

Arnie is focusing on the subject at hand. "Hmmm, half dragon half elven, that's an unusual combination... and gold, you say? Fascinating. Well, she's going to be smart, especially if she's a mage. You have to demonstrate that you have some brain power of your own when you woo her, but without trying to look like you're trying to look smarter than her, you know what I mean? A thoughtful gift would be something that tickles her intellect, but without being too dry. I have a volume of essays on the use of the arcane arts in stand-up comedy somewhere, that would be a good start. I'm sure a fire elf would know elven mating habits, as well- but being half dragon is going to make a significant difference. The foreplay won't neccessarily have to be elaborate, but it could take you a couple hours, to say nothing of the main event! Get into shape beforehand, if you can, or at the very least get some vitamins in you and remember to hydrate. She'll probably want to take snack breaks, too. And remember dragons don't have any concept of tender in the bedroom, even if she is half elven she'll probably like it just a bit rough. Perhaps some strong silk scarves would be appropriate..."

Vera's eyes widen just a little as she listens to this. "Good lord," she mutters to nobody in particular, "I've known guys who knew about gettin' into a lady's pants, but this is something else. Am I in the prescence of the king of poon? Should I kneel?"

Aerin's Dad's House-

The androgynous elf leads Dai and Terry down a hallway, taking a few turns past other corridors before they arrive at a small study. It's clearly an old man's study, years of clutter untamable by any system spilling off of desk and table onto chairs and floor. But even in the chaos a path has been forged through the piles by years uf ceaseless routine. Sitting at his desk and glaring at you enter is Mister Cetrana, Aerin's Father, the severe dark-haired elf from the paintings in the foyer. The years have not been kind to him. Even nearing the end of her years Firethena still looks as fresh as a spring day, but Cetrana is withered, his face a thin layer of papery flesh stretched gauntly over the deformed death mask of his skull. His eyes are sunken and stare beadily at you from wrinkled black craters, his lips are thin and crackled and his hands are like pale wrinkled spiders, folded uncomfortably on the desk in front of him. His voice is a weak, phlegmic rasp.

"You may leave us, Alex. I do not expect any trouble from these men."

Alex frowns hugely, but nods and turns to walk way. Cetrana fixes Dai and Terry with a pentrating stare as he slowly reaches down and, with effort, pulls open one of his desk drawers, pulling out what appears to be a roll of bank notes.

"Well?" he asks, angrily, "How much do I owe you, mister whoever? Can't say I recall the name, but that's not all I can't recall nowadays, and it's not like such as you really care whether I remember or not. There's not much left now, I'll warn ye, but it's not as though I've much time left or any use for it anyway."

He pauses to cough something moist into a crusted handkerchief, and then returns to glaring at Dai expectantly.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-21, 01:12 AM
Horacio

(OOC: You know that always happens around that time, Magnus. I just save it in Notepad and wait an hour, or until morning, when 4 AM EST rolls around.)

Horacio frowns at Firethena.

"I don't think it was just what we had to tell her. Aurora had her own news; she put 2 and 2 together and realize something isn't adding up."

To everyone but Arnie, via Tahlion:We said the Church believes Gaudemus is going to attack Atalya and we needed to meet with him to find out the truth. Then Aurora mentioned an oracle vision showing two Gaudemuses fighting amidst a tentacled demon army as Atalya burns. She could deny the Church's opinion but when we both bring up the same thing independently...

And I think she suspects something about Gaudemus's activities that she's been trying to deny. Nothing hurts more than a harsh truth...
Horacio glances at Vera.

"I wouldn't give him the crown just yet. He's had a couple hundreds years to study up on it, and half-dragons and elves aren't rare or shy." *glances at Tokugal* "You might want a stoneskin for the biting, too."

*thinks to himself* I wonder if he'd have any advice on Firethena...

PolkaBear
2007-12-21, 10:36 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

"What? Oh. Hm. I think I can manage. That's a good idea. And thank you for the advice, Arnie. All of it."

"Last thing, I think. Two, actually. First, was there any particular place that Gaudemus and Aerin thought of as 'their own'--besides the bedroom, that is. Second, where was Aerin's body interred? I'd be interested to know if Gaudemus has been back for a visit recently, or at all."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-21, 01:02 PM
Horacio

"Interred? Gaudemus took Aerin's body with him, remember?"

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-21, 09:32 PM
Arnie smirks. "A couple hundred years probably would cover it, yes. And you'd be surprised what you pick up that other people overlook. For instance, most elves are very sensitive on the backs of their ears."

He strokes Firethena behind the left ear for emphasis. Her eyes open wide, and then a slow shudder works its way up her spine. She gives him a playful swat on the hand as he withdraws it.

"Quit it."

"Yes'm. In some cases the point can serve as an errogenous zone... apparently as is the case with Firethena here..."

"Hey!"

"... which could be useful information for you, Horacio..."

"Hey!"

"...but Tokugal might be more interested in hearing that with half dragons the sensitivity on the backs of the ears combines with a corresponding point below the backs of most dragons' head frills, leading to an even more responsive point on the nape of the neck. You get a good rhythm going there, and she'll either tear your clothes off or fall asleep, depending on how fast you go."

Slightly pink, Fire mutters that he'd damn well better buy the poor girl dinner first. Arnie sweeps past her and turns back to Tokugal, surreptitiously slipping a piece of parchment into Horacio's hand as he goes. It reads: We should talk.

"... anyhow, as far as special spots the two of them shared I'm sure I don't know- I set couples up, but after that's done I let nature take it's course unless they ask me for advice. As far as the location of the late Mrs. Vadis' body, I'd always heard that it was never found, and the authorities assumed Gaudemus took it with him. I've certainly no idea where it lies."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-21, 10:06 PM
Horacio

Horacio suddenly glares at Arnie when he touches Firethena. His face turns red when Arnie mentions him in particular.

"Yes, I'd heard stories about that. I'll keep that in mind, Arnie. I should be able to incorporate it into my own routine."

Horacio smiles at Firethena. A moment later, his eyes glance down quickly, then he looks at Tokugal.

"Where to next, Tokugal?"

PolkaBear
2007-12-22, 07:53 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"Well, I had a few ideas about Gaudemus and Aerin, but they seem to be dead ends for the moment--unless you can think of anything at the house, Firethena, that might give us more insight into their relationship. That leaves Kumoru's grave. I don't know if there's any sign there about what--or who--happened to him, but it would be worth a look before we write him off as dead. Deader. Reallly dead."

His brow furrows. "On the other hand, none of us really knows where his old grave would be, do we? Is Kumoru with Daewell, Horacio?"

"In any case, I want to satisfy my burning curiosity and ask Arnie to tell me the story of undying love that got him into his present condition. I'm sure it's quite a tale."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-22, 08:10 PM
Horacio

Horacio shakes his head.

"Kumoru left; said he had some things to look into himself, and he had to do it fast.

"If you really want to study it, we should be able to divine its location ourselves, or ask him telepathically for it, right?"

Horacio looks at Firethena & Vera.

WhammeWhamme
2007-12-22, 08:28 PM
(Argh. I tried to reply to this yesterday, but the board freaked out and ate my post. Bad Internets, stop screwing around! Bad internets! Oh man, it was an awesome reply, too. I almost hate to have to rewrite it because I know it won't be as awesome the second time. Oh, woe is me, and whatnot.)

Arnie's Crib-

Firethena's eyes widen in alarm. "She was crying? For the gods' sake, Horacio, what did you all tell her?"

Arnie is focusing on the subject at hand. "Hmmm, half dragon half elven, that's an unusual combination... and gold, you say? Fascinating. Well, she's going to be smart, especially if she's a mage. You have to demonstrate that you have some brain power of your own when you woo her, but without trying to look like you're trying to look smarter than her, you know what I mean? A thoughtful gift would be something that tickles her intellect, but without being too dry. I have a volume of essays on the use of the arcane arts in stand-up comedy somewhere, that would be a good start. I'm sure a fire elf would know elven mating habits, as well- but being half dragon is going to make a significant difference. The foreplay won't neccessarily have to be elaborate, but it could take you a couple hours, to say nothing of the main event! Get into shape beforehand, if you can, or at the very least get some vitamins in you and remember to hydrate. She'll probably want to take snack breaks, too. And remember dragons don't have any concept of tender in the bedroom, even if she is half elven she'll probably like it just a bit rough. Perhaps some strong silk scarves would be appropriate..."

Vera's eyes widen just a little as she listens to this. "Good lord," she mutters to nobody in particular, "I've known guys who knew about gettin' into a lady's pants, but this is something else. Am I in the prescence of the king of poon? Should I kneel?"

Aerin's Dad's House-

The androgynous elf leads Dai and Terry down a hallway, taking a few turns past other corridors before they arrive at a small study. It's clearly an old man's study, years of clutter untamable by any system spilling off of desk and table onto chairs and floor. But even in the chaos a path has been forged through the piles by years uf ceaseless routine. Sitting at his desk and glaring at you enter is Mister Cetrana, Aerin's Father, the severe dark-haired elf from the paintings in the foyer. The years have not been kind to him. Even nearing the end of her years Firethena still looks as fresh as a spring day, but Cetrana is withered, his face a thin layer of papery flesh stretched gauntly over the deformed death mask of his skull. His eyes are sunken and stare beadily at you from wrinkled black craters, his lips are thin and crackled and his hands are like pale wrinkled spiders, folded uncomfortably on the desk in front of him. His voice is a weak, phlegmic rasp.

"You may leave us, Alex. I do not expect any trouble from these men."

Alex frowns hugely, but nods and turns to walk way. Cetrana fixes Dai and Terry with a pentrating stare as he slowly reaches down and, with effort, pulls open one of his desk drawers, pulling out what appears to be a roll of bank notes.

"Well?" he asks, angrily, "How much do I owe you, mister whoever? Can't say I recall the name, but that's not all I can't recall nowadays, and it's not like such as you really care whether I remember or not. There's not much left now, I'll warn ye, but it's not as though I've much time left or any use for it anyway."

He pauses to cough something moist into a crusted handkerchief, and then returns to glaring at Dai expectantly.

"My good sir, I have no intent of claiming your worldly possessions. I and my friend here simply adopted these disguises to ensure an audience; we were uncertain of what reception we would obtain otherwise.

We are heroes, I suppose. The murder of your daughter is at the heart of a maelstrom of potential death and destruction that as we speak begins it's descent upon Atalya, and so we came to bother an old man.

For this, I apologize."

He pauses here to see and judge the reaction this brings...

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-22, 08:43 PM
(...man, if you want to quit the game, that's entirely fine with me. But don't take me out in the process.)

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-23, 11:46 PM
Arnie's House-

Firethena sighs dramatically. "Oh, I'm pretty sure the whole house was special to them. His bedroom. Her bedroom. The guest rooms. The gym. His laboratory. The dining room table... I liked that table, I still haven't been able to bring myself to eat on it..."

Vera grimaces a little. "I can get a hold of him if we need to, but it might be a good idea to only do so if it's really important. I doubt he wants to be disturbed right now."

Arnie has neglected to answer Tokugal's question, and seems to be busying himself with a tea tray or something.

The Cetrana Manor-

Aerin's father stares at Dai, his eyes widening, his mouth opening with a great sucking gasp.

"My daughter...? ...my daughter!?"

His face goes even paler than before as he attempts to stand up, and then, with a low groan, slumps forward onto the desk and lies still.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-24, 03:53 AM
Horacio

"The dining room table? There's only 2 things you can do in that situation, Firethena: burn it or reclaim it. You should consider having dinner during it; if the rest of your cooking matches your cookies, you could drive a man wild with a 3-course meal."

Horacio slowly grins as he turns to Tokugal.

"Vera's right; Kumoru will have some info for us soon enough, and you never disturb someone when they're out on recon. We have other leads to follow before it gets too dark. Let's get going."

(OOC: Wow, Dai, you either made our job very easy or very hard; it's gonna be difficult to explain regardless.)

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-24, 06:45 AM
"Godsdamn it, Dai."
Terry pulls Kinslayer and levels him at the geriatric elf.
Heal the poor bastard, would you?

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-24, 10:31 PM
Arnie's House-

Firethena's eyes widen.

"That's... uh... and interesting... ah... I think I'll settle for burning it, thanks."

Aerin's Dad's House-

Kinslayer makes a sort of chuckling noise. At least when he speaks up it is mercifully quiet. Sorry kids, there's not a damn thing I can do for him now. He must've had a pretty bad ticker if it stopped that fast. Well, at least now you've got all the paintings you want, right?

Alex calls down the hallway. "Master Cetrana? I thought I heard someone fall, are you alright?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-24, 11:53 PM
Horacio

Horacio's smile turns a bit more subdued.

"It'll make a nice bonfire."

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-25, 05:27 AM
Terry sheathes Slayer (because how good would -that- look to the servants?).
"Damn it. Dai, please tell me that you've got some trick up your sleeve."
(More importantly, I don't suppose Terry knows what CPR is, and could then attempt it via Heal check?)

WhammeWhamme
2007-12-26, 06:28 PM
"Crap. This is not good."

Cure Disease
Neutralize Poison

Heal Check (1d20+6)

Kick himself.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-26, 07:54 PM
Terry groans quietly.
"Back in character, Dai. And stay there this time."
Terry calls a moment later, in the slightly deeper voice he's put on for Brutus.
"Call for a doctor! He's collapsed!"

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-26, 09:51 PM
Alex rushes into the room.

"Oh gods, oh gods, oh gods, Master Cetrana, speak to me! Master Cetrana!"

The maid rushes in a second later, looks from the scene unfolding back to Dai and Terry, and puts her hands over her mouth, horrified.

"What did you do!?"

WhammeWhamme
2007-12-26, 10:19 PM
"Ayhm a pwiest... pwease, leht mhe twy cuwatwive pwocedutheth...ahnd fwind a thuperior indihvhidual pwiest! Nahtuwal ditheathe ith nathty!"

[OOC: Would a heart attack be rezzable from?"]

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-29, 12:29 AM
(That's an incredibly tricky question. The RAW state that someone cannot be raised from the dead if they die of natural causes. Under most circumstances, a heart attack would be considered a natural cause.

And, for the record, Dai's heal check indicates that yes, that it what happened.

But it could be argued that Dai caused the heart attack by surprising the old man, inadvertently making him the cause of death, and he is most decidedly unnatural.

This is the line of reasoning followed by Dragon Ball Z, interestingly. King Kai proposed that the Ultimate Elder had died, not from old age, but the sadness caused by witnessing the deaths of his children at the hands of Freeza and his men. Therefore when they wished for "everyone killed by Freeza" to be resurrected, the Ultimate Elder was also rezzed, because his death had been caused, albeit indirectly, by Freeza.

I always though that was kind of a cheap way out.

You might be better off trying a Speak With Dead spell here.)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-29, 08:52 AM
Horacio

(OOC: Might as well do something while we're waiting for Tokugal to get this going again.)

Horacio walks up to Arnie.

"Arnie, do you have any useful books on the arcane you wouldn't mind loaning? With all the magic floating around here, I think it's time to brush up..."

*glances back at Firethena*

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-29, 11:18 PM
Arnie rubs his hands together.

"That depends, do you want the volume on arcane cake decorating or my exhaustive encyclopedia on magically assisted tantric sex techniques?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-30, 12:24 AM
Horacio

"Uh, neither (yet). Anything you would recommend? Perhaps involving psionics?"

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-30, 10:10 PM
Arnie shrugs. "Not much in that genre I'm afraid. I do have the biography of some guy named Uri Geller, I think he was into that kind of thing."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-30, 11:16 PM
Horacio

Horacio sighs & shakes his head.

"Never mind. You want anything, Firethena?"

PolkaBear
2008-01-01, 10:37 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"No tale, Arnie? Oh, now I'm dying to hear it." His lips twisted as he contemplated to possible ironies of his statement. "There must be some inducement to spill the story. Any hints?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-01, 11:13 PM
Horacio

"Tokugal, I think we should be going. We have a lot to do today."

Horacio turns away from Arnie long enough to give Tokugal a Drop It look.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-03, 11:28 PM
Firethena shrugs. "Nah, I'm cool."

Arnie's lips twitch a bit. "I appreciate your enthusiasm and curiosity Tokugal, but I really shouldn't. The tale involves incriminating testimony regarding a number of actions that were not expressly illegal in the parts of the world where they ocurred, but would nonetheless see me and a number of my close compatriots stuffed under mattresses with hot irons in horrible places should the local church catch wind of it. And I can only do that once a week."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-04, 12:13 AM
Horacio

"Sounds like some of my nights out, Arnie. Let's go, Tokugal."

PolkaBear
2008-01-06, 12:30 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal nodded and shrugged. "No problem, Arnie. I wasn't sure if your reticence was delicacy or an unexpected bashful streak. Thank you for your help. If I find any interesting teas or herbal infusions on this little jaunt, I'll bring some back for you."

He followed the others out. "So what's next on the schedule, Horacio?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-06, 01:16 AM
Horacio

Horacio blinks.

"I thought you'd say. We're done with our end, as I said. I would check up on Dai & Terry, but I don't interrupt mates in the middle of a job. Dae & Vodette went shopping & checking leads. And if your investigations are done, not much else to do but head back to the temple."

Horacio glances back. "I may have a few things I need to take care of by myself, though."

PolkaBear
2008-01-06, 11:35 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"Well, the ideas I had seem to lead nowhere. The only thing I can think of that would be along the same lines would be to go back to the Vadis mansion and see if there's something there that would recall Aerin's memory, just in case the whole painting thing doesn't pan out. We've already searched the place a couple of times, though, and Firethena has of course been top to bottom through it; so it's probably not a necessary trip if we have other engagements."

"Fortunately, our conversation with Arnie was enlightening in other ways. I guess only time will tell if it's also, uh...profitable?" He tried to keep his face serious, but grinned despite himself.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-06, 11:55 PM
Horacio

"No, we probably don't need to go back to the mansion."

Horacio nods at Tokugal's other comment. "Yes, Arnie does have a knack for knowing how to satisfy beautiful, intelligent women. Maybe we'll teach you some of our other techniques later. Psions & rogues are... creative."

Horacio smirks at Vera for a moment as they walk back to the temple, positioning himself close to Firethena.

PolkaBear
2008-01-07, 11:00 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

The elf laughed. "No doubt you do. It's not for nothing that some would call you a 'rogue.' Well, let's head back. We'll watch for you, Horacio, while you take care of your errands. Give it, say, a couple of hours before we become alarmed and send out the hounds?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-07, 11:45 AM
Horacio

"It should take an hour and a half, tops. I'll meet you at the temple."

Horacio kisses Firethena's hand before slipping into the shadows of a nearby alley.

((OOC: I'll post what happens later, when I dig up the log from my other computer. For now, you know that Horacio does come back within an hour & a half... unless Mags says otherwise.))

PolkaBear
2008-01-11, 01:51 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal addressed Vera and Firethena as they wended their way toward the temple. "Are you up for a detour? I could go for a bit of shopping before we meet Horacio again. Let's head toward the shops."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-13, 03:32 PM
I have no idea what to do further. On that note, Terry will be trying to help resuscitate the geriatric elf.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-19, 10:28 PM
(Okay! I'm back! I was away for a while. I went to a bad place... Uh, metaphorically. I don't wanna talk about it. Let's just say that life sucks right now but I'm hopefuly not going to let that affect the game anymore! Hopefully. I'll do my best.

Now where were we?)

Aerin's dad isn't getting any better. His maid is hyperventilating.

"Oh man... I am so not paid enough for this... oh man... does this mean I'm not gonna get paid? I mean..."

The androgynous elf smacks her upside the head. "Pull yourself together. I'm going to go get a healer. And the town guard. You three... don't disturb the crime scene."

Terry and Dai are given a rather baleful look before being left alone with the corpse and the crying girl.

Meanwhile, Vera and Firethena exchange looks.

"I could go for some shopping."

"Yeah, works for me."

Tokugal doesn't need to make a Listen check to hear them snickering when he turns around.

PolkaBear
2008-01-19, 11:10 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal slowly turned his head to look at the two women, with one eyebrow raised. He rolled his eyes and let out a mock sigh. "I have the feeling I'm going to regret this."

He led the way to the business district. "I'd like a few odd items to help with healing and protection, so let's try to find some sort of--hey, let's stop here first."

It was one of those curio shops from which you'd either leave with an ancient artifact of unspeakable power innocuously disguised as a child's plaything, or a matched set of porcelain figurines celebrating the reign of Queen Fantabula IV. (Her first reign, before she returned to power as a vampire in league with the dark wizard Moronus. That's a different set of figurines entirely, and much more in demand. The figurine of Fantabula in the vampiress outfit alone is worth the price of the set.)

"I'm looking for something 'intelligent.' And just remember: we're not leaving with any fuzzy animals, no matter how big and cute their eyes and ears are (http://wallpapers.boolsite.net/srv13/Images/Wallpapers/Cinema/Gremlins-Gizmo.jpg)."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-20, 03:24 PM
Terry ignores the elf. There's not a lot he can do, really.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-25, 01:32 AM
Dead Elf's House-

As soon as the androgynous elf leaves the maid stops crying and rounds on the two men.

"What are you, crazy!? Get out of here before he brings the guards back and kills you! And while you're at it, take me with you!"

Ye Olde Curio Shoppe-

"Ah, I shall make you such a deal worthy sir," wheedles the shopkeeper. "Look at this! Combination hookah, and coffeemaker! Also makes julian fries! Will not break!"

He pounds it on the counter for emphasis. It shatters. He tosses it over his shoulder and pulls out a small white box of some strange rubbery material.

"Ignore that. Look at this. I am sure you have never seen one of these intact before. This is the famous Dead Sea Tupperware. Listen."

He cracks the lid. The box makes a "Thbbpt!" noise.

"Ah! Still good!"

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-25, 10:47 PM
Terry rubs the bridge of his nose and speaks low.
"And what, get accused of murder, have our likenesses described, and spend some time as fugitives? No, we need to stay, comply, and keep to a simple story. Something my 'boss' here said got him livid--maybe accused him of not following through on an under-the-table transaction, and he had a heart attack."

PolkaBear
2008-01-26, 09:40 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

The elf raised an eyebrow. "I'm not so sure that she'll go for that. I'm looking for something a little more sophisticated and intelligent than...kitchenware. Something that will say, 'I can show you the world,' instead of 'I'm a fool off his guard.' It's for a lady. She's smart, but she's also a sight lovely to see. I'm trying to make a good impression, let her know that I'm not just a street rat or scoundrel. Do you have anything more like that?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-27, 01:04 AM
Dead Elf's House-

The maid shakes her head. "You don't understand, he's been embezzling the old man's money for years. He's not going to get the legitimate town guards, he's going to get whatever flunkies he can pay to kill all of us, disturb the crime scene beyond recognition, and probably set the house on fire."

The sound of a boot rather rudely opening the front door emphasizes the revelation.

Ye Olde Curio Shoppe-

"Hmmm, something for a lady, eh? Mayhaps the voodoo di- no, not on such terms with this lady yet. I have a fine collection of very fine jewelry priced to sell! Also consider one of my 'Valuable Minutes' figurines, guaranteed to send any female of any species into squeals describing their cuteness! There is also this potion, a drop of which introduced into a cup of wine will sodden her undergarments without fail! Or, if you are the artsy type or wish to appear as such you might take a look at any of these fine enchanted intstruments which shall play beautiful romantic melodies with no effort on your part. Also, please to observe the crown jewel of my collection, a single rose from the garden of Death himself. Do not be fooled by its origin, this pure ebony blossom is as timeless and unblemishable as its master, a true symbol of the timelessness of men trying to get into the pants of their female counterparts."

"Excuse me," says Vera, "how much for the poison-tipped kunai?"

"Five hundred gold pieces for the set milady, and rest assured that offering such high quality pieces to you at such a price is surely as deadly to my livelyhood as though I were holding a blade to my throat."

"I'll give you one fifty."

"Done. I do not accept checks."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-27, 01:23 AM
Terry looks a moment towards the disturbance.

"Well, ****."

Terry draws Kinslayer and takes a low duelist's stance.

"Get out of the house while we slow them down, then we'll run like hell."

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-31, 01:00 AM
"Where am I supposed to run to!?" hisses the maid, "there's no way out of this office but the hallway!"

At that moment, a tall, thuggish man in black appears in said hallway, screams with laughter, and aims a bow with a flaming arrow at Terry.

The laughter is cut short as he lets go of the wrong part of the bow and smacks himself in the face with it, dropping him to the ground and sending the arrow into the ceiling.

Behind the downed man, a voice can be heard sighing in frustration. "Damnit Maurice..."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-31, 02:08 AM
Terry doesn't give them a second chance--he launches forward, vaults over the bowman, and brings Kinslayer down on the first man behind him with a crash.

"Then go this way!" he yells.

Attack (1d20 21=39) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1477867/)
Damage, base (1d10 5=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1477872/)
Sneak, Sudden strike damage (6d6=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1477873/)
Total: 35 damage
In addition, all enemies within thirty feet at or under 13th level need to make a will save (DC 12) or be shaken for one round if Terry applies his sudden strike damage.
EDIT: Oh, and Initiative (1d20 11=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1477881/)

PolkaBear
2008-02-02, 04:57 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"A rose from Death's garden (http://www.netnik.com/khayyam/rubygifs/rubyxxvi.gif)? That sounds interesting. It doesn't carry the fragrance of death, too, does it? The last thing I need is to try to woo her with a carrion-smelling flower--or one that strikes you down for daring to sniff it."

"These instruments you mentioned: do they play specific tunes? Do they invent their own? Do they play what you command?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-04, 01:41 AM
The brutish looking man behind Maurice only has about a second to look surprised before Terry cuts him down. Kinslayer shrieks gleefully as the life is drawn from the man's lungs with a noise like a banshee's bones rattling.

The maid positively *sparkles.* "Holy crap that was awesome!"

The androgynous elf looks at his two fallen thugs, makes a small "Eep!" noise, and flees for his life.

Oh man, this is fnuckin' delicious. You have no idea.

The shopkeeper reaches under his counter and pulls out a glass container in which is a single perfect rose, shiny and black as ebony. Closer inspection, however, r eveals that the thing is not just a black rose- it is blackness given the shape of a rose. There are not petals or leaves or thorns, only the shapes of these things carved from a solid piece of what might be stone.

"Death does not have the capacity to create life or even to comprehend life as it truly is, he can only imitate that which he sees, and he can only imitate the appearance. That being said... it is really a remarkable piece, is it not? As for the instruments, they must be programmed with the music that they play by a bard with sufficient skill to master them, but after this they will reveal the notes within to any who stroke them. I have a wide variety of instruments filled with ballads and love songs of all kinds, if you wish to look them over."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-04, 02:18 AM
"Gnnh--oh no you don't."
Terry's face contorts in pain briefly and his arms strain. Inch by bloody inch he wrests Kinslayer from the wound.
(If anyone would like to see the mental struggle that went down, it's here--)

<Kinslayer> NO!
<Terry> Oh--ghk--no you don't!
<Kinslayer> I haven't eaten in years! Don't take this from me, you *******!
<Terry> Not--a--chance--in--Hell.
<Kinslayer> DON'T MAKE ME YOUR ENEMY.
<Terry> I was under the impression I was. I'm not making friends with you and cross everything I stand for. Look--hng--we're not getting anywhere like this. Not until I know exactly what you do to your victims, and sure as hell not until we can work together.
<Terry> Right now, Kinslayer, we're at a crossroads. Because up until now I didn't think I could fight you and win.
<Kinslayer> So now you think you're a big man, huh? You want to wear the daddy pants now?
* Terry's voice is cool. "As a matter of fact, I do. Now tell me what, exactly, happens when you claim a soul."
<Kinslayer> I don't -claim- them, I -eat- them. You know that! What do you -think- happens to a soul when it's consumed, moron!?
<Terry> If I knew, I wouldn't be asking. Are they lost and destroyed? Do they reach an afterlife?
<Kinslayer> Destroyed. Snuffed out. No happy hunting grounds. Except in the case of this random loser there aren't going to be any happy hunting grounds. He's going to hell now, Terry, because of you. Do you really think he prefers that to nonexistence?
<Terry> You're mistaking me. I'm not afraid to kill, though I suspect you knew that. But I will not be party to the utter destruction of anyone, thug or not, unless there is no other way.
<Kinslayer> Then you let me go hungry. And you'd better pray to whatever god you worship that I never get a chance to return the favor.
<Terry> If you ever want to consume someone's life again as long as we're stuck with eachother, keep that in mind. And do not--do not--assume you can rebel, find a less scrupulous owner, because I promise with everything I have I will stop you. And as we've just seen, I can.
<Terry> We will work together. I will do what I can to sate you until I cannot. You will tolerate that until you cannot. If you want your revenge, you may have it eventually.
<Kinslayer> Oh, I think I will.
<Terry> Then we're agreed?
<Kinslayer> For now.
* Kinslayer somehow manages to lick Terry's brain.
<Terry> *...ignores.* Then someday you may have your petty revenge on me. Oblivion awaits.
<Kinslayer> Woohoo!

PolkaBear
2008-02-04, 09:08 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"Very interesting!" His eyes glitter with the spark of fascination. "It is beautiful. What lore do you know on it? Why did he make it? Was it a gift to his beloved? I'm sure that would make a tale! It wasn't taken from his garden by theft, was it? No, no, of course not. Only a fool would steal from Death, since there is no way of hiding from him--and no chance to enjoy your spoils before Death exacts his vengeance. Unless the thief were undead, I guess; but even then, there is nowhere that Death could not go to reclaim his property."

He frowns, and his running commentary halts. "Perhaps the flower's more trouble than it's worth. How much are the instruments? And the rose, too, I guess."

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-05, 11:34 PM
The shopkeeper shrugs. "They say that death has a garden full of such flowers. I do not know why. Perhaps even he can appreciate what he believes is beauty? I do not know for sure how the flower came to be in this plane- I have heard stories, some that say he bequeathed it to one who did him some kind of service, or that there are those he considers friends or family, of sorts, and that he gave the flower to one of them. Some say there -was- a thief in death's garden, and though he certainly did not survive the act, the rose itself remains. Who can tell? It was given to me by my father, who had it from his father, who recieved it as a gift from a dying king who owed him much. I would not sell this thing, it does not do good to accept money for such a bauble, and yet I do not think that I shall give it to my son, for he is not a man after his father's heart, and I hesitate to think what he might do with such a priceless relic. If I can not make a gift of this to one who seeks to use it to win the heart of a young lady, then what good has it done to anyone? But perhaps I am merely a sentimental fool. The instruments are a different matter, as they are the product of the work of a craftsman of superior skill. I will sell you any one of them for two thousand gold pieces, and that is the best price I can offer. But I assure you, they are worth it."

The maid siezes Terry's sleeve and pulls. "Now let's get out of here, before anyone else comes for our virgin cornholes!"

PolkaBear
2008-02-06, 02:08 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal carefully set down the hautbois he was examining and looked straight at the shopkeeper. "What did you say?" There was no threat in his question, just an intensity of interest.

The shopkeeper looked slightly perplexed--and perhaps a bit apprehensive--but repeated himself nonetheless.

"No, not about the instruments. About the black rose."

After verifying that he had heard truly, Tokugal pursed his lips. He was silent a moment, then spoke. "Since you know why I was asking about the rose, I'll assume that your comment was not accidental. Allow me to submit my case for your judgment, then."

"The lady I mentioned earlier is a priestess of light--a cleric of Pelor. The blood of the mighty gold dragons runs in her veins. She is a woman of great beauty--her ears are simply exquisite!--and sharp intellect. She studies the arcane as well as serving her God. Were there someone worthy of a precious gift like the rose, I would deem it to be her."

"On the other hand, I feel I must disclose that we know each other by reputation and sight alone. I will not deceive you into thinking that we have some sort of 'epically enduring love.' By the long road, we've hardly even spoken to each other! That's why I was looking for a gift, though. She stirs something within me, arouses my curiosity. I'd like to know her; but I'm sure she encounters all sorts of creeps in her service to Pelor, and is reluctant to trust strange men. So I wanted a gift of introduction that would distinguish me, that would state that I'm not just another randy wanderer looking for the key to her chastity belt. Maybe then we'd have a chance to...see where it leads."

He paused, and the tips of his ears tinged pink. "Sorry. The more passionate I get about something, the more I sound like a I'm reading from a scroll. Written by a grammarian hopped up on nightleaf. Transcribed by a drunken ogre. I assure you, however, that my sentiment--" *ahem* "--what I mean to say is that I mean what I'm saying, even if I sound like a doofus."

"I don't know if I would be any more worthy than your son; but only you would know your own mind. And heart."

The scary thing is that even though I write his dialogue stiffly on purpose--using a written vocabulary and sentence structure instead of a verbal vocabulary and sentence structure--I actually sound like that in RL. Last semester, one of my students scored me a 1-out-of-5 on the item "I can understand my instructor's spoken English."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-09, 05:55 AM
(I'm gonna hold off for Whamme.)

WhammeWhamme
2008-02-10, 01:33 AM
"Oh dear."

Dai recovers somewhat.

"Ah... my dear fellow... ah... lovely maid-person... we should be going, yes? Yes? Ah... oh dear.

We don't need to go undercover, so we just need to find the others..."

[roll1d20] (for Gather Information to find them?)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-11, 04:46 PM
"C'mon."
Terry heads for the front door, stepping over the body with one last glance, stowing Kinslayer through his tattered cloak. With that, it's off to a rendezvous point.

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-13, 01:50 AM
The shopkeeper gives Tokugal a long, penetrating stare. Then, slowly, he opens the glass container, wraps a length of white silk about the rose, and hands it to the elf.

"Do not ask me why, for I cannot explain it. I feel, somehow, inexplicably, that it is meant for you. Only do everyone a favor, and wait for several moments before you turn around, so that the very tall figure that I fancied I saw behind you for a half an instant has time to leave."

The effect is somewhat broken by Vera making spooky "OooOoOOoOOOOoooh!" noises and Firethena trying not entirely succesfully not to crack up, but for about a second it's really pretty spooky.

The maid follows shortly behind Terry and Dai as they head for the rendezvous point, apparently giddy as a schoolgirl.

"Oh my gods that was so awesome that guy just saw you and he was like 'Ahh!' and you were like 'Rar!' and he was all 'Blarg I am dead!' and then your sword talked I can't believe how awesome that was I am so wet right now do you guys do this kind of thingall the time!?"

I like her. Can we keep her?

WhammeWhamme
2008-02-13, 08:34 AM
"Indeed, the guy with the sword, I forget his name but the sword is called 'Slayer... yeah, anyway, the two of them are quite impressive... I have to ask, Miss, do you have anywhere you need to be?

PolkaBear
2008-02-13, 12:43 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

The intensity of the moment, as the shopkeeper wraps the rose, nearly brought Tokugal to tears. Tears on which he choked at the mention of a spectre over his shoulder.

When he found his voice again (he had coughed the silly thing out onto the floor, and it had rolled under a display of dragonbone corsets, where it had commented loudly on the impossibility of anyone but a formian possessing a waist suitable for the confining apparatus) he thanked the shopkeeper. "And I'll be sure to let you know how she receives it. You've done...it's a true treasure. Thank you."

Seemingly entranced by a black petal peeking from its white silk wrapping, he signaled to the women that he was ready to continue shopping.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-13, 07:58 PM
Horacio

Horacio waits quietly at the rendezvous point, carefully watching for spies & other suspicious folk.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-17, 09:29 PM
Terry picks out Horacio and moves over, motioning for him not to call, before turning to the maid.

"Listen, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm pretty sure that it'll work out best for all of us if you don't know our names and we don't know yours. We're involved in some pretty serious business, and there's a fairly good chance being connected to us could get you dead. Do you have any friends you can lie low with or someplace to hide?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-19, 03:41 AM
The girls are totally gonna try on lingerie for about an hour just to see if they can get Tokugal to blush.

The maid is examining Kinslayer while they walk.

"Somewhere to go? No, not in particular. I've kind of been living from job to job. I don't suppose you guys need a maid? I can be very discreet. You can call me... um, Meiru. I don't think that's my real name. I'll call you Stuffy and Slayer, then, shall I?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-19, 04:05 AM
Horacio

"And you can call me Scoundrel."

Horacio walks up behind the three, although he was in front of you a few moments ago. He looks up at the maid.

"And we might be able to help if you cooperate to your utmost."

He raises an eyebrow as he turns to Dai & Terry.

"I can't wait to hear how this happened..."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-19, 05:44 AM
"Oh yes you can." Terry grumbles.
"'Scoundrel,' do you think we could get her to your church for safety? There's enough witnesses between here and there that it's almost a sure thing she could be killed--or worse."
Terry blinks.
"For that matter, it's entirely possible we've been beaten to the punch by you-know-who. I normally buy girls a drink before I ask, Meiru, but once we find a safe place, we're going to need to take a look at your back."

WhammeWhamme
2008-02-19, 06:16 AM
"See, this is the advantage of falling for a Sphinx. No need to ask them to take their top off."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-19, 07:36 AM
Horacio

"He wouldn't need witnesses, Terry. I also think you're overreacting just a bit. But I was planning on bringing her that far anyway, as long as she can behave. We could always use more 'cleaners'...

"We can ask the gals to check her once they get here."

Through Tahlion: Now then, what in the Abyss happened?

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-19, 12:13 PM
Deep-Cover Dai over here managed to waltz in there and declare what we were really there for--twice. And Aerin's father had a godsdamned heart attack when he did. Dead.

And, turns out his butler was skimming the old man's money, and went and got some thugs to off us and make it look like a robbery-turned-murder. I killed one of them and only just got Slayer away from the body, and we had to get out. Gold gets you platinum the place is burning down already.

So no, we don't have a painting, but we do have a potential skinwearer who has information on us. If she isn't now she certainly could be soon.

So what happened? Slayer wants me dead even more than usual, I've effectively burnt the last bridge with him, I may be looking at murder charges and wanted posters since I didn't think I would need a disguise, we've gotten an innocent person in our mess, and we've managed to kill an old man, a crooked guard, and a few precious hours.

As a friend of mine once said, I need a stiff drink and a slow ****. Terry's mental "voice" is positively buzzing with annoyance and frustration.

PolkaBear
2008-02-21, 12:20 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal stopped into a store called Papaya Tyranny and considered purchasing their Boxers of Protection; but he reasoned that wearing an item in such a location that offered to deflect anything that came its way could be both a blessing and a curse. He settled instead for a chunky silver ring and a slender necklace of stylized oak leaves that would each do the same thing.

When he came back out, he saw that the ladies had gone next door. He had already followed them into the store before realizing its purpose. He blushed to the tips of his pointy ears, an experience he had had all too often this day.

Picked up a Ring of Protection +2 and an Amulet of Natural Armor +2

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-21, 05:28 PM
Horacio

Horacio's eyes go wide as he listens in, then he silently thinks to himself, his expression neutral.

Time to improvise, then. Tahlion, can you contact the others? Tell them we have an urgent situation that may require some illusions and some bags of holding. Give them the scoop and tell them to get down here. Terry, when Daewell and Fire get here, try to give them as clear a mental image of the butler and his thugs as you can. If he wants theft, perhaps we can show it in a more blatant manner.

And then we'll see about that stiff drink. And Dai...

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-22, 12:20 AM
Meiru is offended for all the wrong reasons.

"My back? What kind of wierd fetish is that? You don't even want to see my breasts? They're firm and supple and bouncy, and you want to see my back? I knew it, you're wierdos. I've fallen in with wierdos. I'm going to wind up with a penis in my nose, and it's all your fault."

Tahlion relays Horacio's message to the others.

Um, Horace? Should I be alarmed that Vera's threatening to hang Dai and Terry up by their thumbs and smash their testicles flat with a ball peen hammer, or is that pretty much normal for her?

Toliudar
2008-02-22, 12:30 AM
Daewell

The wizard holds the door open for Vodette as they exit the last of their shopping destinations.

...and that, madam, is why scholars still spell it Mithral, although the contemporary usage now favours Mithril.

He straightens unconsciously as Tahlion's voice enters his mind.

...did you just hear that?

He is already fumbling for the cube in his pack, and heading back into the shop.

Franklin? Franklin! I need the use of your back storeroom for a moment.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-22, 01:37 AM
Horacio

Given the circumstances, I don't blame her, although tell her Terry was just trying to clean up after Dai. He's already got Kinslayer threatening him; give him a break. For all I care, she can give Dai a firm "scolding" on their way back to the temple.

Also tell her we may have a new "recruit" for the temple. Or someone to practice memory modification on; from what I've heard, it wouldn't be much of a challenge...

He turns to Dai & Terry.

"Why don't you bring her back with my friend; it might be risky to have you seen in that area again."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-22, 06:29 AM
Terry fixes Meiru with a good long stare.
"Remember that dangerous business I mentioned? Part of ensuring we all not die involves checking backs for very specific marks that have a lot to do with making sure we not die. I do so like not dying, you understand."

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-27, 12:53 AM
Franklin is all about mister Daewell making use of his back room.

(oh god I didn't realize what that sounded like until after I type it I swear)

Meiru nods, slowly. "Okay, so you're all searching for a magic spell that will send you back to your land of crazy where you belong, and this spell was broken into pieces and magically scattered across the land so it became tattooed on the skin of comely young elf maidens, and in order to find all of it and return to your home you have to hunt down all the elf girls you can and strip them naked to find the pieces of the spell! It all makes so much sense now!"

Toliudar
2008-02-27, 01:07 AM
Daewell

Once in the relative privacy of Franklin's back room, Daewell hastily reaches into his pack for the cube.

Vodette, I apologize for cutting our shopping trip short, but it sounds like Tahlion needs our help - which means that SOMETHING's gone wrong somewhere. Hold on. We're about to find out if this cube can zero in on an intelligent sword.

Pressing the symbols on the cube in a rapid sequence, Daewell stares intently at this shifting surfaces.

Spellcraft [roll0] to properly activate the cube.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-27, 01:15 AM
Horacio

Horacio rolls his eyes and suppresses the urge to facepalm.

Yes, memory modification is sounding good right now...

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-27, 04:47 AM
Terry rubs his face.
"Yes, that's exactly what our tragic story i--no. No."
Sighing, he turns to Dai and Horacio.
"Let's just find the others before I go insane."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-27, 06:10 AM
Horacio

"Others are coming to us, Terry." Horacio smiles and pa- er, taps Tahlion on the hilt.

PolkaBear
2008-02-27, 11:21 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

The girls' shopping came to a tragic end. "Tragic," of course, for the reason that it had to end at all. Nevertheless, Tokugal bore his disappointment bravely and helped carry their bags. Horacio's a lucky little bugger. He won't know what hit him.

While the girls continued to make disparaging and embarrassing remarks about the man in their midst, they made their way to where they would meet the others.

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-05, 10:35 PM
As near as Daewell can tell, he's got the co-ordinates exactly right.

Firethena swoops down to give Horacio a surprise hug from behind as the girls and Tokugal arrive on the scene.

Meiru gets a look at Vera and lets out a small shriek.

"Oh gods! It's a monster!"

Vera points at Meiru and lets out an identical shriek.

"Oh gods! It's an idiot!"

They fall to fisticuffs.

(I'm back! I think? Yeah, I live. Wow, let me tell you how much fun constantly choking up phlegm is when coughing feels like you're being punched in the chest and the head at the same time. It should be the new national past time.)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-05, 11:05 PM
Horacio

Listen check (1d20+22=34) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1518152/)

Horacio is surprised by Firethena's hug, not her entrance, but recovers quickly enough to turn around and peck her on the cheek. He smiles for a moment before blinking and looking over at the fisticuff fight.

Horacio looks at the group.

"We'll have to act fast if we're going to salvage this. Care to explain exactly what happened and what could be happening now? If we're lucky, we can still snatch the works and frame the real culprits here."

((Can't be worse than the time drinking water caused me to puke. Nothing like paying $600 for the privilege of spending a night hooked up to IVs at the local hospital.))

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-06, 02:08 AM
Terry's developed a legendary eyetic. "Oh, for the love of Heironeous on a platter. That does it."

Toliudar
2008-03-06, 04:24 AM
Daewell

Daewell glances at the others, noting Terry and Dai's slightly, erm, ruffled state. He exchanges a somewhat worried look with Vodette, adjusting his array of new magical baubles. And works very hard to focus past whatever bizarreness was going on with Vera.

Priestess of some ultra-serious mystical cult indeed.

You rang?

PolkaBear
2008-03-06, 01:06 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"Ladies! Ladies! Please!" He thrust himself between them, trying to separate them without getting pummelled himself. Just for good measure, he spoke the command word and ignited his jacket, creating a wall of flame which would hopefully be impressive enough to cause them to fall back.

"There's no need for fighting. Vera's no monster, and deserves an apology. And Vera: this..." he took in the abbreviated black outfit frilled with black lace "...maid? She looks to be with the others. So just stop. Please?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-11, 08:51 PM
Vera hops back adroitly out of harm's way and pats the dust off of her clothing.

"You guys have no sense of fun. The last group of adventurers I hung out with would never have dreamed of stopping a catfight in progress. Hell, half of them would have found a mud puddle to push us into..."

The maid, upon being confronted with a flaming elf, hurls herself behind Terry and immediately drops to the ground, rolling about in a frenzy, screaming about the burning and how much it burns.

She's not actually on fire.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-12, 04:02 PM
"Wait, don't worry, I'll use my magic wind power to put you out. Whoosh. There you go. Terry's voice is as deadpan as humanly possible.

Toliudar
2008-03-13, 11:39 PM
Daewell

The wizard smiles thinly.

Well, now that catastrophe has been averted, perhaps we can go somewhere private?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-14, 12:19 AM
Horacio

Vera, the last thing I want to be turned on by is you fighting some random ditz from the streets, especially when we're short on time. We'll save the mud puddle for when you & Fire start fighting.

"Yes, let's. Vera, could you please watch the maid?"

And make sure she's clean for us? Terry thinks she might be infected, and even if she isn't, I don't want her listening in on how we're going to loot her former master's place.

Horacio waits until they've gotten somewhere private to explain what happened.

"The scouting didn't go quite as planned. Aerin's father died while they were there, and since his butler was skimming money off him, he's probably trying to burn the place, and any evidence, down as we speak. If we want to save those paintings, we should go now.

"And perhaps," he says, turning to Daewell, "We can give that damn butler his comeuppance. First though, we'll need to keep a low profile." He looks between Dae & Fire. "Any spells that might help?"

Sense Motive: 34 on whether the maid really is that stupid or just pretending.
Sense Motive (Maid) (1d20+23=34) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1527008/)

Toliudar
2008-03-15, 01:06 PM
Daewell

Hearing the urgency of the matter, Daewell is already focusing on the cube, still in his hand from the last urgent jaunt.

We should indeed save those paintings. If for no other reason than the aesthetic, of course. I should be able to bring us right into the vault with a good description, and then out again, obviating the need for further stealth.

All I need is a decent description of the vault.

He smiles expectantly at Dai and Terry.

PolkaBear
2008-03-17, 09:58 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal just snuffed out his jacket without comment.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-17, 11:49 PM
"Well, I can describe the manor entrance foyer. Spent a few minutes there. Dai was doing the major brainwork, he might be able to describe it in better detail..." Unless he can, Terry will proceed to do just that.

Toliudar
2008-03-18, 12:19 AM
Daewell

The wizard shrugs.

That'll have to do. We'll be relying on you more worldly types to quickly sniff out the vault once we land, of course.

Based on Terry's detailed description, Daewell forms a mental image of the foyer, and brings forward a gate.

Spellcraft [roll0]

I hasten to add that you CANNOT auto-fail a skill check. He said, holding his breath. :smallredface:

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-20, 05:15 PM
As near as Horacio can tell the maid is being entirely sincere.

...but nobody's -that- dumb.

The cube unfolds itself and forms the familiar metallic gateway- on the other side is what appears to be a barely lit dusty basement filled with crates and boxes, and fairly large number of what look like large leather map cases.

Toliudar
2008-03-20, 08:38 PM
Daewell

Encouraged that the other side of the portal seems not to be, in fact, on fire, Daewell smiles and gestures for the others to pass through.

Madame and gentlemen, if you will.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-20, 09:49 PM
Horacio

Horacio glances back at Vera. "Take care." He looks at Firethena. Fire, you want to help Vera watch the maid? We can always call you if we need you.

He discretely hands his second Sending Stone to Fire when the maid isn't looking, then sneaks through the portal.

Hide: 47
Move Silently: 47
Spot: 41
Listen: 32

Hide, Spot, Roll Silently, Listen (1d20+27, 1d20+22=[20, 27], [19, 22], 1d20+27, 1d20+22=[20, 27], [10, 22]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1533521/)

PolkaBear
2008-03-20, 10:28 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal follows the others through the portal. "Ooh! My favorite type of place. Attics and basements make for the best sorts of exploration. You never know what you're going to find. Either it's absolute junk, just set aside instead of being thrown away, or it's something too priceless for everyday use. Sometimes they're memories, like old letters that depict a romance of words or the longings of a wanderer for his home. Sometimes they're toys that the owner has outgrown. Sometimes they're inadvertent capsules of a time long past or a life long forgotten."

"I like it best when kids have had access to a place like this. They rearrange it and construct spaces of their own. I like trying to figure out what they saw with their imagination's eye. An old candlestick? No: the scepter of an ancient kingdom! A desk? No: an oubliette in a foul dungeon--complete with secret spaces for the prisoners to conceal notes!"

He chuckled. "Oh, yes. The best sort of place."

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-23, 11:19 PM
The basement is dark, cool, and musty. A little light filters in through a window high on one wall that opens up just above ground level, probably for that very purpose. As you enter, you can hear footsteps and voices on the floor above.

"So where'd the little sons of orcs got to?"

"I don't know and I don't much care, let's just finish shredding the evidence and get out of here."

"Ain't we gonna get the rest of the old man's cash?"

"We got it all already, idiot. I had it safely stored away back in the city and ready to be laundered out last week. The poison was already starting to take, but those two morons giving the old so and so a shock to the ticker was a lot more convincing. Too bad they're names are probably fake, I doubt the guards'll ever find 'em now."

"Ain't you scared they's gonna come back for you? And what about that hot bitch in the frilly skirt?"

"The maid? She got blasted by a mindflayer two winters ago, she can't tell what's real from what's in her bruised little brainmeats half the time, the guards'll never take her seriously. And if the two asses ever come after me, I just have to set the authorities on 'em. Ha! I can't believe everything turned out this perfect, I couldn't have planned it this well if I'd tried..."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-23, 11:57 PM
Terry smirks grimly as he hears that moving through. He motions for silence as he moves forwards quietly.

Hide and Move Silent (1d20 23=34, 1d20 23=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1536109/)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-24, 12:21 AM
Horacio

Horacio pauses as he hears about the poison and the maid. He looks down at Tahlion for a moment, then turns towards the stairs up.

I draw the line at poisoning for money. You guys go on ahead and get the paintings; we're going up there to throw a few snags into that plan...

You want me to bring some of them down for you?

Once he gets an answer, Horacio swaps his offhand sword for a sap and silently creeps up the stairs.

(I'll use the Hide/Move Silent/Spot/Listen checks from before, if I can.)

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 01:01 AM
Daewell

Stepping through the portal last, he barely catches any of the conversation from above, and considers it entirely beside the point of why they are here. He immediately sets to work searching the dusty chamber, and welcomes help in doing so.

Search [roll0]

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-24, 01:03 AM
You can practically hear Terry's thin, dangerous smile. I'm with you, Horacio.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-24, 01:12 AM
Horacio

Good. Let me reveal myself first, if it comes to that. I'd rather save the old familiar scares for last...

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-24, 01:29 AM
If they notice you, act like another thief here for what he can grab. Try to get it on the deal you heard them talking about.
Terry is slowly drawing his bow as he goes.

PolkaBear
2008-03-24, 11:36 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

You want me along, too? If they're destroying evidence, I want a look at it. He pulled out his rapier as he made eye contact with Terry and Horacio.

If the others want his help:
[roll0]
[roll1]

If not:
Taking 10 on Search (if he has only a minute) for 33.
Taking 20 on Search (if he has a couple of minutes to look) for 43.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-24, 02:11 PM
Horacio

Horacio listens to Tokugal's attempts to sneak for a moment, then shakes his head.

We'll bring the evidence to you. Help Dae search this place while we clean the trash.

PolkaBear
2008-03-24, 11:01 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Got it. Be sure to salvage as much as you can, though. Anything they want destroyed is bound to be interesting.

Here, Daewell; let me give you a hand looking.

He'll take inventory for as long as they're uninterrupted. If that's at least two minutes, then take 20 for a check of 43.

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-25, 11:43 PM
Horacio and Terry managed to make it up the stairs undetected- there's a door at the top of them that doesn't appear to be locked, and it doesn't sound like there's anyone on the other side at the moment.

Inside the basement itself the two searchers find a multitude of stuff. A lot of it is fairly typical junk, the sort of thing you'd find in any family's basement. A lot of it is old financial records from the old man's business.

Some of it is rolled up canvases, many of them painted in what appeares to be Aerin's style.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-26, 01:27 AM
Horacio
Horacio quickly searches the door for traps (and disables any he finds) before carefully opening the door, peeking through it, then sneaking through, heading for the source of the talking stealthily.

Search Door: 36
Disable Trap: 33
Search; Disable Trap (1d20+27=36, 1d20+24=33) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1538394/)

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 01:32 AM
Daewell

Slipping off his packsack, Daewell begins shifting the canvases that look like Aerin's work into them.

Daewell looks at Tokugal and points upstairs, with a questioning look.

PolkaBear
2008-03-30, 02:25 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal frowns and shrugs back at Daewell, then goes back to sorting out the paintings.

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-12, 10:40 PM
There are enough paintings to fill several backpacks, but this doesn't pose a problem to adventurers packing interdimensional storage space. Horacio finds that the door is about as locked and trapped as Meiru is sane and intelligent. The ancient door creaks open with barely a tap.

There is a moment of silence.

"What was that?"

"Whut was whut?"

"Oh, never mind, just finish the job. You two are both idiots. Damn your eyes."

"Too late!"

The sounds of tearing parchment are clearly audible from down the hall. If Horacio peeks around the edge of the door, he can see down the hallway to the study where the old man's corpse is still sitting at his desk, which is covered by the debris from two very ugly half elves systematically tearing apart every scrap of paper in the place. The androgynous elf from before is leaning bad-temperedly against a shelf and muttering to himself about purchasing more than the legal amount of alcohol.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-13, 12:22 AM
Horacio

((Does Horacio recognize any of them from his previous time under Snake Eyes or in the underworld?))

Horacio silently moves into the room, keeping out of sight. He tries to find a stack of important-looking papers and filch a couple, enough for them to realize some are missing, but not enough for them to forget they were there. He then retreats to another hiding spot and waits to see if they notice it.

Hmm, they still have the corpse here. Think you could sound like the angry old coot, Tahlion?

Hide, Move Silently: 34, 38
Sleight of Hand: 11
Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand (1d20+27=34, 1d20+27=38, 1d20+8=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1625794/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-13, 08:44 PM
(Neither thug looks familiar, no. And for the record, the office isn't -anywhere- near big or dimly lit enough for Horacio to slip into it without being seen. Without any shadows or objects to hide him coming through the door, the DC for the hide check is going to be astranomical. Do you still want to do that?)

Well, maybe if I took up smoking for a few years. After somehow developing lungs.

Toliudar
2008-06-13, 11:10 PM
Daewell

Great. While we're doing what we came here for, the others dash around in a burning building.

He shrugs at Tokugal, and pulls out the cube again. Remembering the difficulty he had with precision at the strange temple last time, this time he pictures Firethena's living room. And reaches out with his mind to create the portal.

Spellcraft [roll0] to activate the cube.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-13, 11:46 PM
((Um, I don't think the building's burning, Daewell. Unless I really misread the description.))

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-14, 06:13 AM
Horacio

((They are more than 30' away, right? Out of crossbolt sneak attack range?))

Horacio turns to Terry.

They're too far away to get a good bolt on them. I think we should draw them out and ambush them. Me acting as a fellow thief will probably end badly. Start with a Suspicious Sound and venture into Mental Unnerving?

Horacio looks around for a good ambush spot and something to break loudly to lure them to said spot, preferably somewhere Tokugal & Daewell could pincer attack them from the basement door.

To Tahlion:Feel like scaring them into submission with righteous wrath?

Toliudar
2008-06-14, 09:25 AM
((Um, I don't think the building's burning, Daewell. Unless I really misread the description.))

Daewell's going on Horacio's previous warning:

"The scouting didn't go quite as planned. Aerin's father died while they were there, and since his butler was skimming money off him, he's probably trying to burn the place, and any evidence, down as we speak. If we want to save those paintings, we should go now.

He's going on the assumption that, in a large home, the smoke's not going to be everywhere immediately.

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-14, 08:40 PM
Actually, the hallway's only about ten or twelve feet long, and the room's certainly small enough for Horacio or Terry to get off a quick bolt to the vitals, especially given the distance is probably enough to keep the thugs from noticing they're being shot at until it's too late.

There is, however, a very breakable-looking vase on that shelf on the wall on the other side of the stairwell door.

I am both righteous and wrathful sir!

The cube activates, and Daewell finds himself staring at Meiru and Firethena hunched over on top of each other on top of some kind of mat covered in colored dots. Vera, holding some kind of card with a brass spinning device on it, looks up as the portal coalasces.

"Right hand on periwinkle! Oh, hi guys, back already?"

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-14, 08:47 PM
Terry's expression is a grim smile.

That butler made it this far, he's not going to stop to investigate a strange noise with his thugs when he could be setting those papers on fire. We bury them. We'll move in, fire a barrage together and then cut them off from avenues of escape. We'll try to take them alive, but I won't lose any sleep on this one.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-15, 01:43 AM
Horacio

Horacio nods as he pulls out his crossbow and nocks it.

On the count of 3, we fire at the butler. His 2 goons look like brawlers to me; if there's a caster here, it's him. We take down their leader, they might surrender.

1... 2...

Horacio leans around the door and aims.

Horacio lets a bolt loose at the butler. If I go before anyone else, he loads another bolt and shoots the butler (or one of the thugs) again.

Okay, Tahlion. We've introduced ourselves; now put the fear of the Gods into them.

Surprise Round Crossbow Sneak Attack
Hits AC 22 for 28 Damage
Initiative: 28
1st Round Crossbow Sneak Attack
Hits AC 26 for 24 Damage

Crossbow Sneak Attack (1d20+18=22, 1d6+1+7d6=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628192/)
Initiative (1d20+11=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628198/)
1st Round Xbow Sneak Attack (1d20+18=26, 1d6+1+7d6=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628201/)

Toliudar
2008-06-15, 02:06 AM
Daewell

Daewell tips an imaginary hat to the two women. He looks through, but does not pass through, the gate.

Ladies. Firethena, I apologize for this intrusion. May we join you?

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-15, 09:43 PM
(Don't forget the extra from Terry's Team Sneak Attack, Mike.)
Terry opens up with a pair of arrows, and will figure out his first round actions once he knows when he moves.

Initiative (1d20 7=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628829/) ...wait, I have Improved Init, that should be an Init of 17. My bad, it HAS been months...
Arrows! (1d20 17, 1d20 12=[13, 17], [12, 12]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628832/) 30 and 24 to hit, respectively.
Arrow one, base damage (2d6 1=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628834/)
...Oh. Oh wow. I had damn well better roll a max sneak attack.
Arrow one, sneak attack, sudden strike damage (6d6=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628835/)

Arrow two, base damage (2d6 1=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628836/)
Arrow two, sneak attack, sudden strike damage (6d6=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628839/)
Totals:
Arrow one: 27 damage.
Arrow two: 23 damage.
Total: 50 damage.

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-17, 12:41 AM
Firthena blinks and pushes Meiru off of herself. "Sure thing guys. But where's the rest of you?"

The arrows strike the butler square in the chest with a series of dull, meaty thuds. He manages to choke out "Wombat!" before falling to the ground.

An instant later a pair of terrible white wings rise up behind Horacio, accompanied by a screaming moan and a flash of light like frozen lightning. The thugs scream, pull out their shortswords, and charge, swinging wildly. One of them clips off the other's ear while he completely fails to come close to hitting Horacio. The other one doesn't seem to even realize that the potted plant across the hall isn't an enemy.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-17, 01:01 AM
Horacio

Wow, what did you do, Tahlion? I've seen drunks less disoriented than that. You're up; let's knock these guys out and leave them for the fuzz.

Horacio 5'-steps into flanking with Terry, if he needs to, as he drops the crossbow and summons Tahlion to his hands (free action, crystal of return). He stabs twice at the brute with Tahlion.

"You have two choices. You can either surrender, or you can risk your soul becoming an entree for the demonic sword behind you."

Turn 2
Drop Crossbow (free action)
5' Step if needed to flank with Terry (free action)
Draw Tahlion (free action)
Full Attack
Hits AC 28 for 40 nonlethal damage (-24 if not Flanked, -11 if Non-Evil)
Hits AC 29 for 49 nonlethal damage (-33 if not Flanked, -9 if Non-Evil)

Full Attack, 2 Flank Bonus (1d20 22=28, 1d20 17=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1630236/)
Damage (+SA, +Holy) (1d4+3+7d6+2d6=38, 1d4+3+7d6+2d6=48) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1630237/)
Bonus Sneak Attack Damage (1d6=2, 1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1630238/)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-17, 01:10 AM
Terry allows Horacio to set up and knock down his flank before rolling his eyes and striding over to the second thug (with a tumble check I can't flub if needed), unsheathing Slayer, and simply bitchslapping the man across the head with the cursed sword's flat.

"You can't tell me you want to actually eat crap like that, Slayer. It's junk food at best. What does stupid taste like, anyway?"

Attack, -4 for nonlethal (1d20 17=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1630242/)
Damage (1d10 5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1630243/)

Toliudar
2008-06-18, 07:57 PM
Daewell

Daewell smiles thinly at Firethena's question.

Oh, probably off killing something, I suppose. I'm sure they'll be along shortly. And I see the three of you have found a way to pass the time.

Tokugal, why don't you head through and start to look through our discoveries. I'll hold the portal open on this end.

PolkaBear
2008-06-18, 10:34 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"Ooh! The last time I played that game, my friend had induced a gelatinous ooze to ingest an entire hogshead of rum, then diced it up and plopped it into little cups. Like morons, we thought it would be a fantastic way to spend the evening. Frankly, I can't remember much of what happened after we instituted the one-shot penalty for screwing up in the game."

Tokugal stepped through the portal and hefted the sack. "I expect those guys back soon; so don't be afraid to call if they don't show up right away. I'll get a start on checking out what we've collected. Here, Firethena. Maybe you can help me sort out what's what, since you're more familiar with her work than I am."

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-21, 01:48 AM
The thug that Horacio goes after is rendered unconscious very, very quickly. The one that Terry goes after stumbles, gets a look at the sword that was used to spank him, and faints dead away.

Candy, actually.

The house is otherwise quiet, aside from a low gurgle and some dragging noises from inside the office.

Firethena is busy pulling out canvases. "Oh wow, look at all these. Between these and what's ins torage we might have almost the entirety of her works now. Some of these are worth thousands."

She unrolls one. It is a portrait of Gaudemus himself, seated, with his back to the artist. His skin tone has been captured perfectly with the pigments, and Aerin apparently leapt at the chance to paint the intricate blood red birthmarks that cover his body. A bizarre skull-like marking dominates his back, while stripes of vaguely rune-shaped groupings run down his arms and legs.

The girls, however, all have their gazes locked on one particular feature. Seems this portrait was also a nude.

"Oh wow," breathes Meiru.

"... must have been from their... uh... private collection..." Firethena coughs as she rolls it back up.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-21, 04:25 PM
Horacio

Horacio glances back towards the office. "Sounds like we still have one more to take care of. Why don't you go get the others while I chat with our 'friend'."

Horacio walks back into the office and up next to the downed butler, looking down at him and grinning.

"'I can't believe everything turned out this perfect.' I suggest you lie still and listen before you do anything stupid. I'm one step from thrashing you senseless and I'm the nice one."

Horacio has an immediate reaction readied to stab the guy if he makes any threatening moves.

(Horacio has a browbeating monologue ready; just want to make sure the butler doesn't spontaneously die or explode first.)

Sense Motive: 40 to determine truth of the butler's words.
Spot: 39 to notice anything unusual in the room or on the butler, such as potential clues or evidence of his affiliations.
Readied Attack: Hits AC 22 for 11 nonlethal damage.

Sense Motive; Spot; Readied Attack; Damage (Nonlethal) (1d20+23=40, 1d20+22=39, 1d20+20=22, 1d4+3+2d6=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1635688/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-22, 11:04 PM
The butler is currently trying to breathe around the arrow lodged in his throat. He's in no position to threaten anybody. In about a minute, he won't be in a position to hear Horacio's speech either.

Being browbeaten by a snarky halfling is probably a pretty terrible way to go.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-22, 11:17 PM
"...Oh, hell with it."
Terry turns and levels Kinslayer on the butler.
"As if you need any more reasons to hate me, but heal the poor bastard."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-23, 04:23 AM
Horacio

Horacio rolls his eyes. "He's not the only sword that can heal here, you know." He kneels down next to the butler and tries to remove the arrow lodged in his throat.

Tahlion, could you please heal this moron enough to stabilize him? I'd hate to let him get out of his mortal punishment that easily...

Once the butler's stabilized (but still weak enough not to put up a fight), Horacio looks down at him, smiling.

"You'll be happy to know several agents of the Church overheard you; sound really carries in these halls. Now, we are going to leave you wrapped like a birthday present for the guard, after stripping everything of worth off you. I suggest you cooperate with them fully, reveal everything you've done, and take your punishment like a man. Because if you don't..."

Horacio pauses and idly gestures for emphasis.

"Aerin had powerful friends... I have powerful friends... you planned to kill her father, and I think you're a wretched, cowardly rat for stooping that low to rob someone. Between the two of us, we could make your life hell if you try to weasel out of your just desserts. No matter which city, country, or plane you flee to..."

Horacio pokes the butler in the nose & grins.

"I wonder which side of the Blood War you'll end up in when you die. The thought of you spending your eternal afterlife as a pus blob foot soldier on the business end of a demon's whip makes me feel warm & fuzzy inside."

Anything you want to add, Tahlion?

Horacio gives the butler a moment to react, then knocks him unconscious and ties him up along with the other thugs.

Heal Check: 9 to Tend Arrow (ugh, why don't I see if Tahlion can stabilize him by herself first...)
Heal Check to Tend Throat Arrow (1d20+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1636995/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-24, 06:35 PM
This guy slowly robbed an old man blind and then poisoned him, and you want me to heal him? You're sick.

Horacio and Tahlion manage, but the butler's expression doesn't get any calmer after he stops dying. He seizes Tahlion's blade with a bloody, white-knuckled grip, staring through Horacio in stark terror.

"No...! You can't! He'll never let me live! He's always watching! He's always-"

He starts to choke again. Tahlion vibrates in panic.

Horacio! Terry! Get away from him!

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-24, 07:04 PM
"What in hell--"
Terry reacts almost instinctively, driving Slayer into the floor with a throw and sinking two more arrows into the butler.

(Draw move and 5' step back, fire manyshot. I assume prone = sneak-attackable, though I only apply once.)

Manyshots (1d20 13=18, 1d20 13=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1639180/)
...wait, manyshot uses one roll. Ignore the 31. :B
Damage (2d6 1=10, 2d6 1=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1639181/)
SA (6d6=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1639183/)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-24, 08:25 PM
Horacio

Horacio rips Tahlion from the butler's grasp & quickly backs away from him, seeking cover behind the door frame.

Dae, Tok, get up here, now! The butler's an Agent!

PolkaBear
2008-06-25, 08:49 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal's head snapped up as Horacio's call came through the portal. "There's trouble." He swung the sack to the floor and darted back to the cellar.

Coming! His blade was out as he ran toward the stairs.

Toliudar
2008-06-25, 09:42 AM
Daewell

The wizard sighed. As Tokugal comes back through the portal, Daewell saluted in farewell.

Excuse us, ladies.

As soon as Tokugal was through, Daewell closed the portal and pocketed the cube. He flew up the stairs after Tokugal.

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-27, 02:04 AM
The arrows strike home, and if the poor guy was still alive he'd be a goner for sure. But in the same instant his face explodes in a shower of gore as a writhing mass of green-gray tentacles bursts upwards out of the horrific wound, screeching like nails on a chalkboard and making a beeline for the nearest window.

(Rolling initiative may or amy not be pointless in this particular situation. Go ahead and do it anyway.)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-27, 04:59 AM
Horacio

Damn, went too far back. Daewell, hope you have some sort of flight spell ready, because I don't feel like letting this bast*rd escape!

Horacio comes out from behind cover, dashes at the thing, and leaps for it, trying to get a grip.

Halfway through the leap, he thinks, This could be one of the stupidest things I've ever done...

OOC: Okay, not quite sure what rolls I'll need here, so might as well cover everything.

Horacio attempts to dash at the flying spaghetti monster and leap for it, using a 1-round Haste ability (+4 to Jump check), climbing onto it as it tries to fly away.

Hmm, and if that succeeds, could I try using my unexpected extra weight on it to have it miss the window and hit the wall instead?

Initiative: 19
Jump Check: 20
Grapple Touch Attack: 21
AC is 26 vs Attacks
Grapple Check: 17
Climb Check: 17

Initiative; Jump check; Touch attack; Grapple check; Climb check (1d20+11=19, 1d20+4=16, 1d20+10=20, 1d20+5=17, 1d20+7=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1641980/)

Toliudar
2008-06-27, 12:05 PM
Daewell

I guess we can ret-con this if you want us to take longer to get there.

Flight spell? Well, I'm already flying. I should be able to arrange something for someone else as well. What's happening up there?

PolkaBear
2008-06-27, 01:41 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal rushed up the stairs and into the room.

[roll0]
Let's see if I arrive in time to get a spell off that can slow it down. Not likely, but...

Edit: ...maybe "Improved Initiative" is worth a look. Not that it would have helped here.

Toliudar
2008-06-27, 02:32 PM
Initiative: [roll0] Spell to cast will be depend on whether he gets there before the critter exits.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-27, 04:11 PM
Horacio

Our first chance to catch a flying head squid, that's what. Fire will love this if I don't get myself killed...

PolkaBear
2008-06-27, 07:17 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Almost th--eaugh!

Unfortunately, he snagged the shoulder seam of his jacket on a wall sconce in his haste to enter, spinning himself around and requiring a moment to reorient himself.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-29, 05:43 PM
(Aaaand my post got eaten midway through. Goddamnit.)

Init (1d20 11=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644074/)

"Oh no you goddamn don't," Terry hisses as he draws a pair of certain arrows...

I knew I got those aberration bane arrows for a reason!
Full attack shots (1d20 19, 1d20 14=[18, 19], [16, 14]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644076/) I assume that a 37 and a 30 hit.
Shot one, base damage (4d6 3=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644078/)
Sneak, if applicable. (6d6=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644079/) Maybe while it's in the window-sill and can't dodge. Figured I'd roll it now, applicable or not.
First shot totals: 39 with sneak, 16 without.
Second shot, base damage (4d6 3=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644080/)
Sneak 2, if applicable (6d6=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644083/)
Second shot totals: 33 with sneak, 14 without.
Totals: 72 with sneak, 30 without.
Is it me, or can I just not roll good damage these days?

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-29, 10:33 PM
Terry's arrows strike the thing center mass, and it lets out a truly horrific screech just before Horacio slams into it and alters its flight path until the both of them tumble into a conveniently placed bookshelf. Daewell arrives just in time to see the thing wrap a number of its writhing tentacles around Horacio's head, so whatever spell you think would help there, go for it.

Tokugal's action goes off after Daewell's, as Horacio finds himself having to make a grapple check to keep a maw full of fish-hook shaped teeth from closing over his face.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-29, 11:49 PM
Terry follows it up with two more aberration-killer arrows--and Horacio can thank his lucky stars Terry's as skilled an archer as he is.

A skilled archer who remembers to take into account all of his feats this time.
Arrows! (1d20 20, 1d20 15=[7, 20], [1, 15]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644449/)
One hit, I imagine. Grappling opponents can be sneak attacked, so...
Damage, base (4d6 4=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644450/)
Sneak (6d6=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644451/)
41 damage.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-30, 01:00 AM
Horacio

Ah, this brings back wonderful memories.

(If they attack while it's still grappling him, and it looks like they're hesitating:)

"Take the shot! Don't let it escape!"

(On his turn:)

"Frelsi!"

With that command, Horacio slips out of the tentacles like they were greased, tumbling around the thing, between it and the windows. He draws Tahlion back...

A good cleaning afterwards, I promise.

And stabs her into the thing.

Swift Action: Activate Vest of Free Movement (Freedom of Movement for 3 rounds).
Move Action: Get out of grapple (auto success), position self between spaghetti monster & windows, tumbling if necessary.
Standard Action: Stab!

Horacio's AC is 19 while Grappled, 25 once Ungrappled. His first Reflex save is a 31, with no damage on a success (Evasion).

Rolls:Grapple Check: 21
Tumble Check: 33
Attack: Natural 20, Auto-Hits, Crits on AC 32
Base Damage: 7
Bonus Damage on Crit: +4 Physical
Holy Damage (if Evil): +7 Holy
Sneak Attack Damage (if Applicable): +32 Physical
Reflex Save (if Needed): 31

Grapple; Tumble; Attack; Base Dmg; Holy Dmg; SA Dmg; Reflex Save (1d20+5=21, 1d20+16=33, 1d20+20=40, 1d4+3=7, 2d6=7, 8d6=32, 1d20+22=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644557/)
Threat Confirm; Bonus Damage (1d20+20=32, 1d4+3=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644566/)

Toliudar
2008-06-30, 02:32 AM
Well, I WAS going to polymorph Horacio into some kind of uber-grappler, but since he's taken the tack of avoiding the grapple, Daewell will take a different tactic.

Concerned as well about the creature's possible escape, Daewell fires off a very quick word that seems to accelerate both him - and his companions. Moving swiftly now towards the tentacled mass, he hopes to distract it with multiple targets, while casting a second spell. This one aims straight at the ball of tentacles.

Starting with a Quickened Haste on everyone. Following up with a casting/move combo using mobile spellcasting (auto-success) to get to within 15' of him while casting Baleful Polymorph. DC 26 fortitude save, or he turns into a small potbellied pig. Then, successful or not, moving in closer to it, from above and opposite Horacio, to assist with possible flanking.

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-02, 01:13 PM
The master of the universe is tempted to wait and see what Tokugal's going to do, but honestly, this sequence of events is going to end with Tahlion being stuck through a now dead pot-bellied pig no matter what happens.

EEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAUGH!!!

Toliudar
2008-07-02, 02:43 PM
Daewell

Wait! Grab it, don't kill it! Vera may be able to gain things from its mind!

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-02, 05:50 PM
Horacio

Horacio quickly pulls Tahlion out of the "pig" and turns her over, inspecting her as he reaches for a cleaning rag.

What happened, Tahlion? Was it poisonous? Corrupting?

He glances at Daewell as he cleans Tahlion (using a spare vial of holy water, if necessary).

"Not a good idea yet, Dae. Do we really want to give whoever's looking through these a guided tour of our friends? And if this thing is as alien as I suspect, reading its mind might be hazardous to her health."

Horacio narrows his eyes.

"I've already nearly crippled Vera once today. Don't ask me to risk it again.

"We've got a corpse... as soon as it reverts... and a freshly-cracked shell." He points at the former butler. "Let's see what we can learn from these first, then decide whether it's worth the trouble to bring one in alive. This won't be the last one we encounter.

"You want to open up a portal for Fire to take a look at this?"

((BTW, did the "pig" die from Terry's arrows or Horacio stabbing Tahlion into it? If it was from Tahlion, and Dae got off his warning before Horacio stuck it, I might be able to make it a non-lethal KOing blow. Whether I want to, on the other hand...))

Toliudar
2008-07-02, 11:06 PM
Daewell

Only if we aren't able to retro the killing stroke:

Daewell struggles to conceal his frustration.

Well, if you don't think Vera could have handled it, we might have had better luck at the Bastion. Actually, that may be a better choice regardless. With their help, it may be possible to speak with dead with it, if we can find someone who can speak with animals. If we can secure it in a sealed area, we may be able to examine it further. We do need information on these creatures, don't we?

PolkaBear
2008-07-05, 08:48 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Improvising in the manner of wizards he had observed, Tokugal gestured and muttered some gibberish. No true mage would have approved--but who cares about approval when it gets the job done?

The small linked rings he threw as he finished his spell flew straight toward the infernal spaghetti monster, growing as they sailed. They snapped satisfyingly around the creature, binding it in place.

Casting Bands of Steel in the recent past. :smalleek:
On a reflex save, the creature is only entangled instead of immobile. If immobilized, it's DC 18 (STR or Escape Artist) to get out as a full-round action; if entangled, it's DC 13.

Sorry about the disappearance. My wife was in Finals Week, and it created an unanticipated amount of extra work for me. The one time all week I got to work on this stuff, I hit CTRL-Q instead of CTRL-W from another tab--and lost everything I had written. I'm having to hand out apologies in several threads. :smallredface:

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-08, 01:22 AM
(I'm sure this has been stated at many times in many ways, but for the love of all that is good and holy in this world, I do so loathe my job.)

I'm all SLIMY.

The pig was dead before Tahlion hit it- Terry's arrows have done their job extremely well. On the plus side, uh, pork.

(Unless someone can show me where I've misinterpreted the RAW.... uh, I don't think polymorphed creatures actually do revert after death. *hides*)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-08, 07:26 AM
Horacio

OOC, Re: Polymorph:Can do. Under baleful polymorph: "As polymorph, except..."

Under polymorph: "If slain, the subject reverts to its original form, though it remains dead."

So yeah, by RAW, it reverts to its original form once dead.
That makes 2 of us.

Horacio finishes wiping off Tahlion, then pulls off some of the slime and/or drool on himself. He glances at Daewell.

"Secure it? Sure. But let's examine things here first, while it's fresh. Bring Fire in; she'll be delighted to see this."

Horacio rifles through the popped butler's pockets, pulling out the house keys and anything else interesting on his person.

"As long as she doesn't mind the mess."

You think Gaudemus is scrying on us right now, Daewell? Tokugal? Got any preventative measures if he is?

Toliudar
2008-07-08, 08:55 AM
Daewell

Staring at the tentacled thing oozing out around arrow wounds, Daewell grimaces. He sends a tentative reply back out through Tahlion.

I do have a way of protecting us from scrying, but it is, unfortunately, stationary. We shouldn't do it here.

And - do you have some reason to suspect his scrying on us? He's never met us; may not even know we exist. And, if we continue with the assumption that he's no friend to the outsiders, him scrying on us may in fact lead him to believe us potential allies. Although he may not be as excited about us using his cube, I'll acknowledge.

Agreeing that Firethena may indeed have a desire - and good reason - to look at the mess on the floor, Daewell pulls out the cube to reopen the portal to Firethena's living room, devoutly hoping that the game has come to an end.

Trying to get any additional information from an examination of the fresh and relatively intact corpse. knowledge (the planes) [roll0]

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-08, 09:28 AM
Horacio

There was a flying squid living in the brain of the butler trying to rob & kill Gaudemus's hated father-in-law. The butler screamed, "He's always watching!" before he bit it. And he knows we're investigating him if his son talks with him at all.

As the person here with the most experience with mental thralls and brain theft, it wouldn't surprise me if Gaudemus, or whoever's controlling the squids, could see through one of them and realized when it was shishkabobbed.

I can't do anything about it myself, except bring up the possibility to you. I just saw a flying aberrant squid, connected to a demonic army and a potential demigod, rip out of a body it was too large for. Excuse me if I'm a bit paranoid about the whole situation.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-07-08, 10:00 AM
Terry slowly lowers his bow and recollects some fallen shot.
Gaudemus loved his wife, and they took her from him. I doubt he's working with them. Now let's collect the papers this guy was trying to destroy. It might have just been part of his cover, but there might be a secret to be found here they don't want us to know.
(I assume all the landed hits are destroyed arrows, but I missed once.
[roll0] 50 or higher to find arrow intact)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-08, 03:15 PM
Horacio

"I've seen stranger things happen. A lot can change in 100 years..."

Horacio frowns.

And it doesn't mean someone else isn't watching us? You have a way to detect that instead of just blocking it, Dae?

Good idea, Terry. Once Fire's done here, we should inspect the butler's room as well. If his diary and bed are like the Church paladin's...

Horacio waits, keeping an eye on the dead beastie like he expects it to suddenly... get back up or something.

PolkaBear
2008-07-08, 04:14 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"I'd be very interested in reading through that journal. These creatures have a motivation of their own beyond mere destruction. There's something significant about the fact that they have hovered around--or contended with--Gaudemus for all these years. The fact that they're infiltrating Atalya, too. The dire tales of absolute hellish destruction don't seem to fit too well with servitude, personal grudges, or subtle plots."

He rolled the now-headless body of the butler onto its stomach, trying (insofar as it was possible) to avoid the worst of the mixed gore and ichor. As he stripped bare the butler's back to check for markings, he spoke softly to himself in singsong.

"Spaghetti had a little drone,
Its head was made to 'splode.
And everywhere spaghetti went,
Its entry always showed.

The tentacles and gaping maw
Consumed the little drone
From inside out. It wore the skin,
But puppet's life was gone."

Toliudar
2008-07-09, 02:29 AM
Daewell

The wizard taps his nose.

Hmm. The "he" in "He's always watching" is indeed tantalizingly vague. While I wish I could indulge your paranoia, the best I can suggest is that if we transport it to the Bastion, I know that they have an area where a Forbiddance has been performed, which would prevent the following up of scrying with any kind of physical presence.

Quite often, scrying is specific either to a location, or to an individual. It would be relatively difficult to follow the tentacled thing once it stopped...being an individual, and to follow us once we relocated. So, again, I'd say our best bet is to check this butler's room quickly and vacate.

If we're sticking around, anyone mind if we retcon out the opening of the portal?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-09, 02:28 PM
Horacio

((I'd recommend against retconning it out; I think we should still bring Fire here. Scene of the crime & all that.))

Horacio frowns.

"The Bastion... nah. Not worth it."

If 'he' has any more spies at the Bastion, bringing a spaghetti corpse there will attract their attention for sure. If that's our only alternative, I'll take my chances here.

Horacio glances over at Tokugal as he hums.

"Are you sure that last line is true? It seemed like he kept part of his own mind to the very end."

PolkaBear
2008-07-09, 08:08 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal looked up and smiled. "You talked to him, so I'll take your word for it. That paladin also seemed to retain some part of himself. They were doomed, though. Consider it...poetic prolepsis."

He looked back at the body and shook his head. "Lady Firethena will probably be able to make more out of this than I, if there's magic involved. I prepared myself for a physical confrontation, not mystical. So tell me: what was he saying or doing to make you think it wasn't just one of these skin-wearers play-acting?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-09, 08:19 PM
Horacio

"Nothing, aside from the terrified warning. Everything else could be the squid's doing. Before we confronted him, I suspected the butler might have been controlled by a flying squid." He grins faintly. "I wrote it off as being too paranoid."

Toliudar
2008-07-09, 10:45 PM
Daewell

Daewell leads the way towards the servants quarters, floating a couple inches up, and trusting the others to deal with the tentacled corpse.

Any ideas why these outsiders would want to plant a spy in this household? It would seem like a father-in-law would be a fairly weak lever to use on Gaudamus. I suppose it's possible that they have spies in a large number of noble houses. Although it would have been simpler to simply take over the old man himself.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-10, 12:46 AM
Horacio

((Er, what exactly are we doing about the corpse anyway? I thought we were leaving it here until Fire could gate in and examine it.))

"No clue yet. Either Gaudemus wanted to get revenge on his stepfather or someone wanted to leave him here to spy.

"And that's a good question. It would be easier to take over the old man unless the take over had to be voluntary. The paladin mentioned seeing an armored figure offer him power in his dreams when he got infected. The butler might have had a similar dream and made a devil pact. He was certainly unscrupulous enough to do it...

"That wouldn't have worked on the old man. Maybe he wouldn't accept the offer. Maybe he would recognize it as Gaudemus and not trust him. Or maybe they just don't like infecting prominent people who are likely to be killed for their money.

"It might still be a hint..."

PolkaBear
2008-07-10, 12:23 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"It's chilling, but we have to consider it: perhaps they have some way of tracking us or anticipating our next move; and implanting the butler was an attempt to subvert or divert us." He paused, considering. "I don't think that likely, though, or the butler would have done more to attach himself to us or interfere with our plans. He seemed more preoccupied with getting his hands on--"

He broke off and looked at the rumpled head of tentacles.

"It seems to be dead; but maybe we shouldn't say any more in its presence. We don't know how these things work. It's not beyond the realm of conjecture that these creatures share a mind or experiences or instant communication. Death might not be a barrier to it, either."

If the thing has discernible eyes, Tokugal walks over and pierces them with the tip of his rapier.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-07-10, 12:25 PM
"If anyone were to meddle in their plans for Gaudemus--that's us--having someone installed within the home of his father to see who comes calling would be a good form of picket guard. I think we need to see what we can learn about this butler's personalty, if it ever underwent a change, and in the end, try to find out how long he was infected."

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-10, 08:40 PM
The flying spaghetti monster isn't actually all that big- curled up, it might be about the size of a football. Examining it, no sign of any kind of central nervous system can be found- the creature seems to be composed entirely of a mass of single tentacles which are joined at seemingly random points by connective tissue. Some terminate into hooks, some cluster together to form the sort of mouth that it tried to use to eat Horacio's face, and others do seem to have what appear to be tiny eyes, which are soon put out.

The butler's back is entirely unmarred.

"This is going to be bad, isn't it?" Firethena asks as she steps through the gateway.

Daewell finds that most rooms in the house are empty or used for storage- the master bedroom has been in use, though this is largely only detectable by the rumpled sheets and the meal cart with what is now a rather moldy bowl of soup. The only other room that seems to have been recently occupied is done over in a style of decor that might best be summed up by saying "pink ruffles vomited in here." One of Aeris' paintings is on the wall- another portrait of Gaudeamus, somewhat unnerved, and wearing a wholy inadequate loincloth of some description.

(Bonk me on the head if I'm missing anything you needed answered.)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-10, 10:29 PM
Horacio

Horacio will stay with Firethena while she's here.

"It could be worse. It could also be the chance of a lifetime. You said they'd never found the body of one before, right?" He prods the spaghetti monster. "We even have the victim he came out of." He points at the burst butler. "He deserved it, though.

"Fire, you're the abberations expert around here. What do you make of it?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-19, 10:11 PM
Firethena frowns as she kneels down beside the inert lump of tentacles.

"This... isn't like anything I've ever seen before... the structure, there's no... order to it. it's abberant alright, but not like anything I've ever seen. Even illithids are symmetrical. This is just bizarre. I'll need time to study it- there might be something in Gaudemus' notes that could help. Maybe."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-20, 12:16 AM
Horacio

Horacio frowns.

"Just be careful when you do it, Firethena. I'm not confident enough it's really dead."

Horacio waits for the others to return from the search.

PolkaBear
2008-07-21, 01:00 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

"Bad news, everyone: the butler's back shows no marks. There's no question he was invaded, either. If the marks are indeed the sign of entry, then it would be good to know how quickly they fade. I'm going to check elsewhere on 'im to see if there are other entry points than the back."

Fitting actions to words, he strips the butler and looks for other marks. When done, he tosses the clothing on the body to recover some semblance of decency.

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-21, 01:24 PM
It has been healed, probably through methods both mundane and magical, but the injury was bad enough that Tokugal can still see the butler has, at least within the last month, sufferred a catastrophic anal prolapse. And there's no mistaking the claw-like scars around the wound.

Toliudar
2008-07-21, 05:48 PM
Daewell

Daewell is using detect magic on the painting and the wall near it first, and if there are any auras, he'll stare long enough to gather their strength and school of magic, but won't actually take the painting.

Daewell goes to the painting and stares at it for a moment. Carefully, he lifts the painting of Gaudamus down from the wall.

Well, if nothing else, Firethena may want this. For old times' sake.

Returning from his aerial scout of the other rooms, Daewell nods to Firethena and glances down at the creature's remains.

It's strange. The old man's room had been recently occupied, but it looks like the service had dropped off sharply - the soup was moldy. Suggests that he might have been possessed too - perhaps he stopped eating at least a few days ago. Only other room used recently, a rather ostentatious pink affair, with this painting still hanging in it.

He holds up the painting of Gaudamus.

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-23, 07:09 PM
Firethena goes so brighly red in the face that it appears as though her eartips may just catch alight.

"... well. Looks like the private collection's not as private as it should be. Pink room? That fits, remind me to chuck the maid out of a high window when we get back to the house, will you?."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-23, 07:43 PM
Horacio

Horacio barely keeps a scowl from forming as he looks at the painting, then quickly looks away from it.

"I would rather give her to Vera. The butler said she hadn't been right in the head ever since an illithid attacked her. She might be decent company once her thoughts are set straight."

(I believe Horacio's ready to go, unless we're missing something obvious.)

Toliudar
2008-07-23, 09:33 PM
Daewell

The butler? The same one who turned out to be an agent of the outsiders?

PolkaBear
2008-07-24, 10:38 AM
Tokugal Ardolin

"Ewww, yeah. A different point of entry for our friend the butt-ler. It's almost enough to make me feel sorry for the guy."

He nodded to Terry. "Remind me to purchase a cast-iron chastity belt when we're done here. I'd rather have to lock and unlock to get my 'business' done than fear forced intrusion." He glances over at the spiked tentacles with obvious apprehension.

"Still, it makes me wonder how those things pick their targets. Why the paladin, and why the butler? Was it opportunity or strategy that drove their choices? And if they can enter through an orifice, why dive through the paladin's back?"

He continued his musings in a softer voice, his eyebrows raised as he considered possibilities. "So if they can either use an existing opening or make their own, can they make an entrance wherever they want? Or does it need to be the backside somewhere? If it's the backside, then it's probably either something physiological or having to do with taking the target unawares. Surprise buttsecks?"

He was silent a moment, then addressed the others within earshot. "I'm guessing that they can somehow suppress the awareness of the entry; but given the two examples we've found, it's not an immediate or undetectable process. Look at the claw marks here. This butler strikes me as the type to maintain a rather loose sphincter in his, uh, personal habits (despite his tight one in business affairs); but even so, the monster had to scrabble to get in. The paladin's back was scratched up, too. They're both from behind, too. Yes, it's a small sample set from which to extrapolate. Nevertheless, it suggests that a front entry would give the victim too much opportunity to prevent the entry. I don't know what sort of opportunity. Reaction time because of the orientation of the senses? Positioning advantage because of limb arrangement? Anyway, if we're vigilant we might not be as vulnerable to stealth possession as I had first feared."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-24, 11:56 PM
Horacio

Horacio grimaces.

And I thought illithids were bad...

"Different species or different methods of ambush. The paladin's might have crawled into him in his sleep. The butler's may have leapt up from the crapper.

"They probably entered from the back to reach the spine quickly. Easy entry, paralyzation, and domination."

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-25, 08:30 PM
Firethena grimaces as she glances at the butler's corpse. "Bleah, whatever these things are they're into some really sick stuff. We might want to get out of here before the authorities show up or someone smells the fresh corpses or something. Who wants to bring the anal invader?""

Magnus_Samma
2008-08-13, 10:17 PM
(Okay, back in town! And... should I assume frome everyone's silence that nobody does, in fact, wish to touch the tentacle monster?)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-08-15, 02:30 PM
"...Oh, goddamnit, fine. I'll take it."
Terry sighs and puts away his bow.

Toliudar
2008-08-15, 02:34 PM
Daewell

Once the critter has been gathered, Daewell tucks the painting back into his pack, and ushers the others through the portal before closing it.

Magnus_Samma
2008-08-18, 07:44 PM
Back on the other side of the portal, Vera has the maid in a headlock.

"Oh, hey guys! How'd it go-oh my god please tell me that thing he's holding isn't going to spring to life and go for my orifices no wait I can throw her in the way nevermind."

PolkaBear
2008-08-18, 10:07 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

The elf's face twisted wryly as he saw Vera. "I take it you've been impressed by the maid's witty command of the Common tongue, and are looking for ways to show your appreciation for the enlightenment. Not that I'd be surprised if her tongue truly were common..."

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 10:25 PM
Daewell

Daewell gestures to the strange thing in Terry's hand.

Good evening, Vera. I believe that this creature has...what is the phrase...left by the servant entrance. Horacio was rather expecting that you'd be able to give us a better sense of what it is.

He smiles wanly, trying to ignore the foolishness.

Magnus_Samma
2008-08-20, 06:45 PM
"Ooooh, squirmy tentacles horror to disect? I am so there."

Vera drops the maid, who falls to the ground with a squeaked "I can't feel my toenails!" and walks over to inspect the corpse. She does this by looking at it very closely and poking it in something resembling a scientific manner.

"Oh this is interesting... where did you find it?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-08-21, 02:28 AM
Horacio

"Violently exited from a criminal butler when we tried to treat him 'nicely'."

Horacio glances at the maid, then looks at Vera.

But not before we overheard that the maid is ditzy because an illithid fried her good a few years ago. Think some mental maintenance might make her more tolerable?

Magnus_Samma
2008-08-21, 09:37 PM
Vera's eyes widen.

... oh nuts, no wonder she thought I was a zombie. It'll take some work, the squid-faces take to screwing with somebody's brain like Snake Eyes takes to playing with a debtor and a pair of pliers and a flask of alchemical fire. I'll see what I can do.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-08-21, 10:54 PM
Horacio

But it'd be worth it for more pleasant company. She might even be willing to undertake a new job.

I wonder why the illithids fried her in the first place.

Toliudar
2008-08-22, 09:27 AM
Horacio Or Daewell, Actually

Blissfully unaware of the conversation taking place, Horacio Daewell inadvertently butts in.

You said it was interesting. Anything you can tell us about the creature? I'm especially interested in any conclusions you can draw about its place of origin.

The stiff wizard steps forward to examine the creature with fresh eyes.

Knowledge (the planes) [roll0]

ExHunterEmerald
2008-08-22, 12:15 PM
Terry looks remarkably stoic.
"...May I please put this down now?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-08-22, 11:59 PM
(Daewell, did you recently become a doppleganger or just forget your PC's name?)

Magnus_Samma
2008-08-24, 09:16 PM
There's such a thing as taking pleasure in other creature's pain. Screwing with an elf's brain is the illithid equivalent of pulling the wings off of flies.

Vera gently takes the bundle of tentacles from Terry and lays it out on the coffee table. Getting a better look at it, Daewell can ascertain that the thing, for all it's otherworldliness, lacks any of the distinctive extraplanar traits that would mark an outsider. It likely came from somewhere within the prime material... he recalls reading theories that life might exist elsewhere within the universe beyond their immediate planet. Might this be it?

"I've never seen one of these things before, but there are a few details that stand out... these hooks on the tentacles? Totally used for scooping brains out. Illithids have much the same, except I suspect convergent evolution rather than a shared ancestry." She prods it and her eyes take on a suvtle blue glow. "Feels pretty tough, with the skin that thick there wouldn't be much room for internal organs. I'm betting the reason it looks like a bunch of snakey things all fused together is because it is- it's a colony of similar creatures that form a symbiotic relationship to pool their resources, kind of like a jellyfish. And I'm detecting some residual magic from it, so apparently it now hows to use that. How terribly fascinating."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-08-25, 04:09 AM
Horacio

An illithid messing with the maid and a squid monster taking over the butler? I would not chalk it up to coincidence quickly.

"So these can use magic now?"

ExHunterEmerald
2008-08-25, 05:49 AM
"Why not? We knew they were sapient."Terry adds, wiping his hands on his pantlegs.

Toliudar
2008-08-25, 10:03 AM
Daewell

Daewell nods, turning away from his examination.

Strange. These creatures seem not to be from the outer realms, but from a faraway place within our own plane. Potentially, not unlike the Illithid, and potentially from the same region, if there is the same kind of predation behaviours and techniques.

MS, the places outside the wheel that Gaudamus' research seemed to be leading to places on other planes, or could they be to the kind of other locations this creature may be from?

Magnus_Samma
2008-08-26, 09:21 PM
(Gaudemus' research was pretty clearly leading to an extraplanar location. But with any kind of portal surfing that complex, it's entirely possible to wind up in the wrong location.)

Toliudar
2008-08-27, 08:08 AM
Daewell

Daewell looks around the living room for something to drink.

So...either Gaudamus stumbled across these creatures by accident, drawing them back to this place intentionally or otherwise, or else their arrival is not directly linked to his research.

He pauses.

None of this gives us any further clues as to why these creatures - and the illithid - were so interested in Gaudamus' father-in-law. I suppose that there were possible levers to use with Gaudamus there, but it suggests a longer-term presence.

He turns to the others.

The barbarian army is getting closer, and each new avenue of inquiry we turn down leads us to more questions. I'd like to suggest that, tomorrow, we take this directly to Gaudamus.