PDA

View Full Version : Would like some feed back on this ranger archtype plz.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-23, 01:43 PM
I posted this up on the homebrewed form but I'm not getting anything so I thought I'll post it here. Plz me know what you think and if you can come up with some to make it better.

Marksman

Gunsmith: at 3rd level you gain proficiency with a new type of artisan tools called* gunsmiths tools. When you are crafting, repairing or cleaning any firearm or anything that would applies a tinker tool check you add your proficiency bonus to the roll. You gain proficiency with all firearms

Hunter's Camouflages: At 3rd level you can take a action to camouflages your self with the* surrounding. When you are camouflages you are hidden from any enemy's. After you make a attack any enemy can make a investigation check against your Camouflages DC. Your DC is 8 + proficiency bonus + your wisdom modifier. After making a attack you remand hidden from any enemy that hasn't found you. While you are camouflaged you are either prone of crouch down. If you are prone you gain advantage on any weapon attacks Bows may not benefit from this be prone. Fit you are crouched down you may move while still camouflaged but your movement is halfed.

Trick shots: At 7th level you gain Trick points equal to your wisdom + your proficiency bonus. You also gain the ability to preform Trick Shots. You can only preform one one trick shot a turn. Performing a Trick Shot cost Trick points. You regain all Trick points after a short or long rest.

List of trick shots

Masterkey: You can spend 1 Trick point to load a special kind of* ammunition. You make a attack with the special ammo against any lock that is locked. Any lock you hit that was locked is not unlocked and is no longer usable.

Ricocheted shot: You can spend 3 Trick points to make a any ammunition you shot from a weapon attack bounce off anything in the area to hit your target. When making this shot you take a -5 to the* attack roll. This Trick Shot ignore ½ , ¾ and full cover.

Anti-air: You can spend 1 Trick Point to make a attack against any missiles or projectiles as a reaction. If the attack is successful the missile or projectile is deflected.

Quick Draw: If a hostile creature go before you in initiative you can spend 2 Trick point to make a weapon attack as a reaction to the creature taking a action.

Spray and Pray: when you take the attack action. You can make a range weapon attack at any hostile creature's with in your weapon range. Each attack cost 1 Trick point. The Trick points are used up whether or not the attack hits or miss. You must have a loaded weapon for every attack if you can draw any number of weapons if needed. You do not add any bonuses to or any modifiers to the rolls.

Weapon Expert: At 11th level You have refined your skills and no the limits of your weapons. You have developed techniques to push your weapons pass there capabilities in doing so. Your weapons range is double. You have also learn how to load your weapons faster as a result you ignore any reload property with weapons that you are proficient with.
Bleeding Out: At 15th level When you hit a creature with a range weapon attack. You roll your weapon dice twice and every consecutive turn after the initial attack the target 1d4 of bleed damage. The target take the 1d4 bleed damage at the start of there turn. A creature affected by the bleed damage may take a action to make a a wisdom* medicine check the DC for the check is 15 if they make the DC they stop the bleeding. They also can take a action to use a medkit to stop

Talamare
2016-02-23, 02:11 PM
You don't need Gunsmith Tools, Tinker Tools is close enough

Hunter's Camo is too wordy, and a little complicated, not to mention its an action which is disappointing.
Suggestion - You may enter Hunter's Camo as a Bonus Action , doing so causes your character to go prone and attempt to Hide. Hunter's Camo ends when the Prone condition ends. You do not have disadvantage from the prone condition on attack rolls made with firearms. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier. When you finish a short or long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Significantly simpler, and being Hidden already gives Advantage.

"Trick Points" just sounds stupid, Trick Shot sounds find tho
Mechanically, I think you have a few too many Trick Shot options as well.
Oh and a few too many Trick Shot points, I suggest making it only = to your Wisdom, then have your level 15 feature provide a way to restore a few points

Weapon Expert - This isn't needed at all, Sharpshooter will double your range and Firearms SHOULD take long to reload

Bleeding Out - You need to give the opponent a Con save, also this should be a lv11 feature. It's common among the classes that the lv11 feature is a way to increase damage
Suggestion - When you hit a creature with a ranged firearm weapon attack, the creature begins bleeding out. When a bleeding creature moves, it takes 1d4 necrotic damage for every 5 feet it travels. A creature affected by this feature makes a Con saving throw at the end of its turn. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 necrotic damage. On a successful save, the effect ends.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-23, 02:53 PM
You don't need Gunsmith Tools, Tinker Tools is close enough

Hunter's Camo is too wordy, and a little complicated, not to mention its an action which is disappointing.
Suggestion - You may enter Hunter's Camo as a Bonus Action , doing so causes your character to go prone and attempt to Hide. Hunter's Camo ends when the Prone condition ends. You do not have disadvantage from the prone condition on attack rolls made with firearms. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier. When you finish a short or long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Significantly simpler, and being Hidden already gives Advantage.

"Trick Points" just sounds stupid, Trick Shot sounds find tho
Mechanically, I think you have a few too many Trick Shot options as well.
Oh and a few too many Trick Shot points, I suggest making it only = to your Wisdom, then have your level 15 feature provide a way to restore a few points

Weapon Expert - This isn't needed at all, Sharpshooter will double your range and Firearms SHOULD take long to reload

Bleeding Out - You need to give the opponent a Con save, also this should be a lv11 feature. It's common among the classes that the lv11 feature is a way to increase damage
Suggestion - When you hit a creature with a ranged firearm weapon attack, the creature begins bleeding out. When a bleeding creature moves, it takes 1d4 necrotic damage for every 5 feet it travels. A creature affected by this feature makes a Con saving throw at the end of its turn. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 necrotic damage. On a successful save, the effect ends.

I agree so I putting bleeding out at lv 11. Hunter's camo will be a sounds action. Which trick shots should I keep or change or just get rid of. And I can't think of any thing to put in the 15th lv slot any ideas?

Talamare
2016-02-23, 03:16 PM
15 make it a little defensive, let's take a closer look at Trick Shots

We have 2 real options here, 1 - make it like a BM/Monk where you have resources to spend among them OR make it like Hunter where you choose a trick shot for life

Masterkey: You can spend 1 Trick point to load a special kind of* ammunition. You make a attack with the special ammo against any lock that is locked. Any lock you hit that was locked is not unlocked and is no longer usable.
Ugh, would require a ton of maintenance and extra rules for each ammo. Drop it

Ricocheted shot: You can spend 3 Trick points to make a any ammunition you shot from a weapon attack bounce off anything in the area to hit your target. When making this shot you take a -5 to the* attack roll. This Trick Shot ignore ½ , ¾ and full cover.
I'm pretty sure everyone is going to take Sharpshooter, making this pointless. Drop it

Anti-air: You can spend 1 Trick Point to make a attack against any missiles or projectiles as a reaction. If the attack is successful the missile or projectile is deflected.
While there is some epic rule of cool happening here, this is a little too impossible to feel like it belongs. Drop it

Quick Draw: If a hostile creature go before you in initiative you can spend 2 Trick point to make a weapon attack as a reaction to the creature taking a action.
Hahahaha, I love this one. Definitely a keeper, Simpler - When initiative is rolled, you may use your reaction to make one weapon attack with a firearm.

Spray and Pray: when you take the attack action. You can make a range weapon attack at any hostile creature's with in your weapon range. Each attack cost 1 Trick point. The Trick points are used up whether or not the attack hits or miss. You must have a loaded weapon for every attack if you can draw any number of weapons if needed. You do not add any bonuses to or any modifiers to the rolls.
I think Buckshot might be a more appropriate name effect, ancient guns can't and shouldn't be able to rapid fire. How about - You can use your action to spray an area with bullets. Each creature in a 10 ft radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dex save. On a failed save, a target takes 4d6 Piercing damage. Taking damage from this attack counts as being hit with a ranged firearm weapon attack.

Only 2 options seem a little lacking tho, so we need 1 more effect...

Take Aim - While hidden because of Hunter's Camo, you can use your action to Take Aim with your firearm. Make an attack, for this attack your crit range is 18-20.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-23, 03:29 PM
15 make it a little defensive, let's take a closer look at Trick Shots

We have 2 real options here, 1 - make it like a BM/Monk where you have resources to spend among them OR make it like Hunter where you choose a trick shot for life

Ugh, would require a ton of maintenance and extra rules for each ammo. Drop it

I'm pretty sure everyone is going to take Sharpshooter, making this pointless. Drop it

While there is some epic rule of cool happening here, this is a little too impossible to feel like it belongs. Drop it

Hahahaha, I love this one. Definitely a keeper, Simpler - When initiative is rolled, you may use your reaction to make one weapon attack with a firearm.

I think Buckshot might be a more appropriate name effect, ancient guns can't and shouldn't be able to rapid fire. How about - You can use your action to spray an area with bullets. Each creature in a 10 ft radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dex save. On a failed save, a target takes 4d6 Piercing damage. Taking damage from this attack counts as being hit with a ranged firearm weapon attack.

Only 2 options seem a little lacking tho, so we need 1 more effect...

Take Aim - While hidden with Hunter's Camo, you can use your action to Take Aim with your firearm. Make an attack, for this attack your crit range is 18-20.

Anti-air is named wrong what it is emulating is shooting Clay pigeons it has a name but I can't think of it right now and it's not so different from monks deflect missiles ability. On the other hand what would be some thing a hunter or sniper would do that could be considered defensive?

Talamare
2016-02-23, 03:36 PM
Anti-air is named wrong what it is emulating is shooting Clay pigeons it has a name but I can't think of it right now and it's not so different from monks deflect missiles ability. On the other hand what would be some thing a hunter or sniper would do that could be considered defensive?

Skeet Shooting, but there is a huge difference between 100 mm circles and 1 mm lines

How about... Reaction Smoke Bomb, When you are targeted by an attack, you may use your reaction to create a large puff of smoke obscuring you from sight, causing the attack to be made at disadvantage.

Altho this sounds pretty good option for just a Trick Shot
Altho Trick Shot doesn't seem right anymore as a name for these abilities

Sir cryosin
2016-02-23, 03:45 PM
Instead of trick shots how about tactical skills

djreynolds
2016-02-24, 05:47 AM
5th level
Shoot and move- After you shoot, you can move normally and while doing so are under the effects of the dodge action versus ranged attacks until you movement is finished and you take your next shot or your movement is finished.
"He was there and then was just a blur"

JackPhoenix
2016-02-24, 03:13 PM
5th level
Shoot and move- After you shoot, you can move normally and while doing so are under the effects of the dodge action versus ranged attacks until you movement is finished and you take your next shot or your movement is finished.

That's a little pointless, isn't it? Unless the enemy used Ready Action to shoot at you when you move, it does nothing...it won't help against Opportunity Attacks (the main concern when you move) as those aren't ranged.

Biggstick
2016-02-24, 04:42 PM
5th level

Maybe if you make it instead:

If you make a ranged attack against a target within melee range, you can take the dodge action as a bonus action for this turn.

You'd still be suffering the disadvantaged shot from being in melee, but it gives the arch type an interesting mechanic that allows for escapes.

djreynolds
2016-02-26, 04:36 AM
Maybe if you make it instead:

If you make a ranged attack against a target within melee range, you can take the dodge action as a bonus action for this turn.

You'd still be suffering the disadvantaged shot from being in melee, but it gives the arch type an interesting mechanic that allows for escapes.

That's seems cool. It should give you a feel of dodging bullets. Or you can dash as well. You could just give cunning action and make it dash and dodge. Simpler. Or he can do both, but that could be OP.