PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Transition from 3.5 to 5e

Reynard Loxley
2016-02-23, 05:48 PM
Hello All,

I'm looking at transitioning a long running 3.5e campaign to 5e. For the most part, the classes and races are fine. So are the mundane weapons. My main concern are magic items.

In this world players can but magic items gettin nearly any town, wands, scrolls, magic equipment etc. This is where I feel will be the biggest issue as from reading all the 5e books, magic items are supposed to be rare.

I'm aware i can set up prices for magic items as i wish and use the dmg as a guide, but I'm still learning how the economy works.

If i went down this route then i think there'd be a big break in the world compared to how it's been run for the past 6 or so years. Dies anyone have any experience with this at all? How have you found the transition? Does anyone have any suggestions or guidance at all?

Thank you in advance

Kane0
2016-02-23, 08:42 PM
You can still do that, just be aware that having magic items is a bonus when considering encounters and challenges, rather than semi-expected like in 3.PF

If you need specific magic items translated there are plenty of people and resources to help with that, don't be shy.

My group went from 4e to 5e where we literally had a vault of magic items we had access to, and nigh limitless wealth to purchase what we didn't have already. The 3 attunement rule became a very good limiter on our magic items, forcing us to pick and choose our favorites and rely on more consumables. The power of individual items allowed us to take on some impressive encounters, but for the most part things remain balanced. One thing to look out for are enemies that rely on resistance/immunity to nonmagical weapons for defense, they'll be needing something else if everyone has magic gear.

Malifice
2016-02-23, 09:29 PM
My suggestion is to first remove the generic bland '+ X to Y' items. Cloaks of resistance, amulets of natural armor, plus stat items etc.

Allow each PC when re-doing his character to 5E to nominate a number of magic items iems (of his choice) to make the transition according to the DMG recomendations for creating PCs above 1st level. So 1-3 items of rare/ common/ legendary etc (according to level).

Preferabaly 'signature' type items (if your Barbarian has been packing a flaming greatsword as his main weapon, he gets a flametounge etc).

I also have a magic item economy in my game, but its entirely DM dependent (so linked to quests, downtime activities, and DM judgement on what is available). You cant just walk into a magic item shop and purchase gauntlets of ogre power. Such items are worth tens of thousands of GP and as such are not commonly available.

Purchasing magic items in my games is like buying a surface to air missile as a civilian IRL. Its possible, but you need to know where to look, run a lot of risks locating it, and it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

Flashy
2016-02-23, 09:35 PM
I also have a magic item economy in my game, but its entirely DM dependent (so linked to quests, downtime activities, and DM judgement on what is available). You cant just walk into a magic item shop and purchase gauntlets of ogre power. Such items are worth tens of thousands of GP and as such are not commonly available.

I do much the same. Buying a magic item is a lot like trying to buy really high quality art - you have to know the right people, and maybe not ask too many questions about where it came from.

I've actually considered offering a custom "Collector" background with a feature that gives you somewhat easier access to the circles that trade in magic items, though I've never actually written it out.

Malifice
2016-02-24, 12:24 AM
I do much the same. Buying a magic item is a lot like trying to buy really high quality art - you have to know the right people, and maybe not ask too many questions about where it came from.

I've actually considered offering a custom "Collector" background with a feature that gives you somewhat easier access to the circles that trade in magic items, though I've never actually written it out.

I run them more as ultra expensive dangerous black market items. Its not like walking into Walmart and having a cabinet full of magic items worth tens to hundreds of thousands of GP each.

More like WMDs or high end black market military equipment. You cant just buy them at a shop. You need to know the right people, be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops, wait a long time and be prepared to be robbed and murdered at every step of the way.

Kane0
2016-02-24, 12:28 AM
I run them more as ultra expensive dangerous black market items. Its not like walking into Walmart and having a cabinet full of magic items worth tens to hundreds of thousands of GP each.

More like WMDs or high end black market military equipment. You cant just buy them at a shop. You need to know the right people, be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops, wait a long time and be prepared to be robbed and murdered at every step of the way.

Or raid the right safehouse, which is exactly what adventurers do.

Celcey
2016-02-24, 02:17 AM
I definitely agree that they should have to choose what's important to them, and the any +x items they don't regularly use should go (and any they choose to keep should be rebalanced for their class level). But if you want a more magic item filled world, it's fine to make consumables readily available in most major cities (and perhaps some smaller places if they're near ingredients, on a major trade route, have some reason to have them, or just if you feel like making it common). You can also have low level disposable wands (i.e. ones that don't recharge).

Also, items that don't really give combat advantages, but are awesome, like bags of holding and foldable boats, should always be around.

UberMagus
2016-02-24, 06:42 AM

Curious question: Do you also make them "illegal" like said weapons? As in, the characters have to hide/conceal that they have them? Do you have people hunting them FOR said items? Just curious. I think I'd likely do the "High-end art" aspect, simply because I don't think they should be illegal, per se...

Malifice
2016-02-24, 08:16 AM
Curious question: Do you also make them "illegal" like said weapons? As in, the characters have to hide/conceal that they have them? Do you have people hunting them FOR said items? Just curious. I think I'd likely do the "High-end art" aspect, simply because I don't think they should be illegal, per se...

Theyre not illegal.

Although if you were a thief/ murderer/ mafia guy and you saw someone walk down the street with a pair of boots worth 20,000gp what would you do?

Walk into one of the dodgier parts of South America or Africa openly brandishing a diamond worth 5 million dollars US. See how it works out for you.

Also - imagine Frodo announcing he has the ring of power to all and sundry. He'd be lynched and have it stripped from him in no short order.

Vogonjeltz
2016-02-25, 12:08 PM
Theyre not illegal.

Although if you were a thief/ murderer/ mafia guy and you saw someone walk down the street with a pair of boots worth 20,000gp what would you do?

Walk into one of the dodgier parts of South America or Africa openly brandishing a diamond worth 5 million dollars US. See how it works out for you.

Also - imagine Frodo announcing he has the ring of power to all and sundry. He'd be lynched and have it stripped from him in no short order.

Which is pretty much where lifestyle expenses go: If you choose the wretched lifestyle in order to save gold, you're probably going to get robbed by others who live a wretched lifestyle and covet your equipment (even the regular equipment) which is a fortune by their standard of living.

Socratov
2016-02-26, 10:01 AM
Please note that by switching a natural 1/20 is no longer a critical fail/pass on saves.

Reynard Loxley
2016-02-26, 08:19 PM
Thank you all for your input. There's a lot to look into and I've got some good hours of reading time ahead of me; wish me luck!