PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic-Sensitive Half-Elf

Keundt
2016-02-23, 09:57 PM
Hey, I tried this before and failed. So I'm going to need some feedback. This is an attempt to make a mini innate sorcerer-in-a-race. I followed the Musicus score (6.5 for Half-Elves) for this. I would like to know if this is balanced, and if the features I have are worth the .5s and 1s. Unfortunately, Darkvision and Fey Ancestry are left out, but hey, there's also a human part to a half-elf (unless you're half something else lol). I did make the total equal 5.5, so there is room for darkvision and fey ancestry, but I think they should be trade offs.

So the point of this subrace is that the half-elf has ancestry that makes them more gifted in magic. It's sort of like being force-sensitive but with arcane magic.

Abilities (3): +2 Charisma and +1 to any one ability score of your choice.

Languages (.5): Common, Elven and any one language of your choice.

Intuitive Senses (.5? 1?): As an action, you can make a Wisdom (Insight) check to beat a DC of 15. On a successful check, you are under the effects of the Detect Magic spell. You can do this once until you finish a long rest. At 3rd level, you can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (at least once) until you finish a long rest.

Warding (1): You can use your reaction when you are hit by an attack to put up a ward. When you do, add your Charisma modifier to your AC (at least +1) until the start of your next turn. You also gain resistance to Magic Missile for the duration. You must have a free hand or an arcane focus to do this, and you cannot do this while wearing armour unless you are proficient with it. You can do this once until you finish a long rest. At 3rd level, you can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (at least once) until you complete a long rest. If you have the Spellcasting class feature, you instead learn the Shield spell and can cast it once per long rest without expending a spell slot.

Chromatic Bolt (.5? 1?): You gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the Attack action. The attack has a range of 30 feet. You are proficient with it, and you add your Charisma modifier to its attack and damage rolls. Its damage is based on the colour of a crystal (worth at least 10gp) which you must have on your person, and its damage die is a d4.
Cool-coloured crystals (blue, green, purple): Cold or lightning (choose one per crystal)
Warm-coloured crystals (red, yellow, orange): Radiant or fire (choose one per crystal)
Clear-coloured, white, and light gray crystals: Thunder
Dark gray and black-coloured crystals: Necrotic
The damage die of this attack increases by one stage at 5th level (1d6), 11th level (1d8), and 17th level (1d10).
If you have two free hands when casting this spell, and use the Attack action on your turn to use this special attack, you can make one additional attack with it as a bonus action, but you do not add your ability modifier to the damage roll unless you have the Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style. You may alternatively use your bonus action to increase your range to 120 feet, but you must still have both hands free.

Total: 5.5, or 6.5 if Intuitive Senses and Chromatic Bolt are taxed an extra .5 on them.

Steampunkette
2016-02-23, 10:50 PM
I like it.

I especially like how easily it could be turned into a Psionic Half-Elf.

Almir
2016-02-23, 11:01 PM
There's a variant in the SCAG that lets you do exactly that, it replaces the Skill Versatility with the High Elf's cantrip ability.