PDA

View Full Version : Favorite player race in D&D?

KaizronGyre
2016-02-23, 10:36 PM
Do you have a favorite race? Like one where they become your go-to when making a new character? Mine is warforged, something about the whole living construct trying to figure out what they are and what it means to be what they are really makes them fun to play. Plus there's the whole magic robot thing.

Draconium
2016-02-23, 10:48 PM
Well, my go-to race tends to be human, as they're pretty versatile, and I can make just about any concept or build work with them. Barring that, I like playing races like Warforged or Changelings, races that have unique abilities or qualities compared to normal player races.

Of course, if monstrous races are somehow available to play, like through LA in 3.5 or something, and dragons are an option, then it's no question what I'll be playing. :smalltongue:

Vitruviansquid
2016-02-23, 10:50 PM
I enjoy Elf, because some people seem to be under the impression that all elves are beautiful and sagely and righteous and perfect creatures... so I love to make jerkass elven characters who are just awful to people.

Also, I enjoy the 1 extra move and ability to re-roll failed attacks. That's right. *drops mic* *leaves*

Belac93
2016-02-23, 11:05 PM
Changelings are nice for the social aspects, but sadly nobody lets me play them exactly as I want anymore:smallfrown: And if I do, it usually gets me banned. So I have to make do.

Gnomes are fun. And LE elves.

Rakaydos
2016-02-23, 11:43 PM
Gnolls, winged kobolds and Dragonborn.

Sam113097
2016-02-24, 11:28 AM
For some reason, I have a deep-rooted love for the fighter class. Maybe it's because of Roy Greenhilt. Because of this, I love playing races that are good fighters, especially goliaths. I also have a soft spot for warforged. My first character was a warforged cleric named Relic.

ComaVision
2016-02-24, 11:31 AM
I tend to pick Human because I'm not too creative and I've never played a game where Human isn't a viable choice.

obryn
2016-02-24, 11:33 AM
Definitely dwarves. Particularly the Zeitgeist adventure path's nihilistic, vodka-swilling, gun- and factory-loving variety.

Joe the Rat
2016-02-24, 12:27 PM
It varies by edition, but I generally favor Small and Annoying or Big and Intimidating.

Given my druthers, Kobolds.

Machinekng
2016-02-24, 12:37 PM
I've always had a fascination with kenku/tengu.

Jeivar
2016-02-24, 02:40 PM
I've only actually played one once, but I have a love for Aasimar. The whole idea of being descended from an angel is just so damn awesome.

LadyFoxfire
2016-02-24, 03:10 PM
I tend to lean towards elves, but pixies are hilariously overpowered in the right circumstances, and a ton of fun to roleplay.

hymer
2016-02-24, 03:18 PM
I like the classical ones: Dwarves, elves and humans.

Âmesang
2016-02-24, 03:33 PM
Humans. :smalltongue: Primarily because a lot of my characters are based on non-fantasy characters that I've (poorly) drawn or characters I've created in human-centric video/computer game series (Adventure Quest, Dynasty Warriors, SoulCalibur, etc…).

Otherwise other races I've played as are often limited to what figurines I own.

cobaltstarfire
2016-02-24, 05:16 PM
My favorite base race in 5e is the dragonborn.

I am rather fond of kobolds, and have wanted to give kenku a try.

I like monstrous races in general really, though many games aren't suitable or able to work with them (or I can't find suitable home brew to fit the idea I have)

If I have to use a completely humanoid races I like humans and dwarves. Elves and half elves are ok I guess, but not as interesting to me as they used to be.

Machinekng
2016-02-24, 05:22 PM

I like monstrous races in general really, though many games aren't suitable or able to work with them (or I can't find suitable home brew to fit the idea I have)

If I have to use a completely humanoid races I like humans and dwarves. Elves and half elves are ok I guess, but not as interesting to me as they used to be.

Homebrewing your own races isn't all that hard, probably easier than trying to homebrew a class or even a feat. Depending on what systems you use, there can be significant custom race support. Pathfinder, for example, has a fairly intuitive race building ruleset that I've found fairly useful in gauging the power of new races.

Quertus
2016-02-24, 05:33 PM
Don't really have one. I like variety. Although if "dragon" and "marilith" were balanced options that could be played from first level, I might lean towards certain choices more.

Pale Sun
2016-02-24, 05:54 PM
Every kind of undead, with vampires and liches on top.
I also like humans, changelings/doppelgangers and aasimars/tieflings.

Âmesang
2016-02-24, 06:08 PM
Homebrewing your own races isn't all that hard, probably easier than trying to homebrew a class or even a feat. Depending on what systems you use, there can be significant custom race support. Pathfinder, for example, has a fairly intuitive race building ruleset that I've found fairly useful in gauging the power of new races.
You've got me wishing I had kept the notes on my attempt at homebrewing the Irken race from Invader Zim (https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/wallpapers/non-edit/zim.png). :smalltongue: All I really remember is that they were a Small 1HD race by default, using the typical 1st-level class replaces 1HD rule—however Irkens who raised their racial HD beyond 1st would be of Medium size ("The Almighty Tallest").

Steampunkette
2016-02-24, 06:54 PM
I love undead, half-elves, and insectoid races.

Undead for the internal struggle against wickedness, the jihad all people face magnified by the actual need for violence upon one's fellow in order to sustain oneself.

Half-Elves because I love being the social butterfly caught between different races, a go-between and intermediary.

And Insectoids because I enjoy the alien mindset tied up in them. The different values and sense of self that comes with it.

For similar reasons I sometimes like playing gynoids and the like.

Hiro Protagonest
2016-02-24, 07:31 PM
Humans, because I am boring.

If I have to play a non-human character for some reason, Warforged or 4e Dragonborn (I don't know what 5e Dragonborn are like).

LibraryOgre
2016-02-24, 07:37 PM
Gnomes. I've enjoyed them since 2nd edition.

Cluedrew
2016-02-24, 07:41 PM
Well, it depends one where I start.

If I have a concept already I default to human. Because there are no player races that aren't variant humans in the end. Although I would consider swapping out the race for story reasons or to help communicate the concept. Sometimes clichés are clichés because they are awesome and other times they can be useful.

On the other hand sometimes I use race. In this case I defiantly don't have a favourite because I've used a different one every time. I usually end up with a character that... plays with the stereotypes. Doesn't brake them, but is not quite what you expected either.

Gamgee
2016-02-24, 07:46 PM
Dwarfs and goblins to play. I just find them fun. Halflings in third due to the belkster.

Mon Calamari and Chiss in Saga edition are my favourite.

Tau and Dark Eldar in Warhammer 40k.

Skaven in Warhammer Fantasy Also like those new Fyreslayers.

Gangrel or Tremere in Masquerade.

JBPuffin
2016-02-24, 08:16 PM
I love the weird ones - thri-kreen, deva, warforged, tiefling, dromite, shardmind...I have played more of the usual due to convenience, but when I next have the chance there's no doubt I'll be playing a shardmind.

Steampunkette
2016-02-24, 09:20 PM
gnomes. I've enjoyed them since 2nd edition.

You monster

Xuc Xac
2016-02-24, 09:36 PM
I like many different races, but humans are my favorite. Too often non-human races are underdeveloped and flat because players use their race as a substitute for personality.

Human characters are made cool by what they say and think and do. Other races are simply cool because of what they are and no further effort gets put into them most of the time.

valise
2016-02-24, 09:43 PM
As long as I am allowed to customize the character before the start of the game I would definitely say the Warforged. Something about being a living construct that can do more than any mere meat bag is rather satisfying. Next would be undead, lich, vamp, and DK's. If we are allowed to power level then its time to break out dragons and rune giants.

Fable Wright
2016-02-24, 09:53 PM
Favorite player-intended race, or favorite race that characters could play? Or most played?

For the former... Mongrelfolk Dragonborn, from 3.5, would probably take the cake. You were once cast aside, into the gutter, learning secrets and tricks as a deformed urchin. You knew what you were, in the dark. You were a monster locked in humanoid form (for totemist backgrounds), or a dragon locked up in a softskin prison (for Dragonfire Adepts). And then someone came to offer you a better way. Perhaps Bahamut, perhaps Tiamat. They taught that you could be more. And you were reborn into a form that gets you respect. And now you have to counterbalance the scared urchin you were with the fearless warrior you have to be.

That's just a cool concept for me.

For favorite character-playable race? Hands-down, Eberron medusae. Such a fun concept. Could be a fun martial initiator, too, as you level.

Most played character race?

Bog-standard humans. C'est la vie.

Winter_Wolf
2016-02-24, 10:25 PM
Ignoring that usually humans are the right ballpark for allowed races, I'm partial to thri-keen or lizard folk with the latter getting the nod more than the mantis warriors. I'd like to play an all kreen party sometime. Mostly my mantises end up rolling nat ones on their jump checks. Their racial +30 jump checks, where we play skill rolls can crit fumble.

gooddragon1
2016-02-24, 10:58 PM
Elan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans): Live forever, no food problems.

goto124
2016-02-25, 10:37 AM
:elan: Look at me, I'm a psionic race!

LibraryOgre
2016-02-25, 11:52 AM

You monster

Our enemies seek to enslave other races, to dominate them with their way of life, which is brutal and oppressive. Many years ago, long before even I was a baby, I can see you sniggering behind your hand, the goblinoids encountered the first gnomes. Our people lived in harmony with the animals and the trees, tending their needs with love and care. The goblinoids sought only food and firewood, taking more than they needed because of their greed and lack of respect for Mother Nature.

Our ancestors tried to reason with these fiends, but were no match for their weight of numbers and malicious ways. Since then we have become their enemies. When you are older you will be taught how to fight these creatures of darkness, not because we gnomes like to fight, but because we have a duty to stop oppression and wanton destruction as well as to defend ourselves.

Gnomes fight for freedom. Kobolds and goblins fight to oppress others.

JAL_1138
2016-02-25, 01:08 PM

You monster

I'm not sure but I think that was more of a spoof on gnomes being moved out of the PHB and into the MM for 4e (the (in)famous "I'm a monster, rawr!")

Or the running gag on the forum here that gnomes are highly prone to campaign-wrecking degrees of engineering/inventing shenanigans and/or extreme silliness ("GNO GNOMES!").

Joe the Rat
2016-02-25, 01:24 PM

Lies! Filthy Mammal Lies! We fight to not be oppressed by the nasty, smelly, oversized, follicle-infested beings that roam the world, showing off with their endothermy and hoarding their tasty children.

Gnomes we hate because cave-ins aren't funny.

Steampunkette
2016-02-25, 01:51 PM
JAL got the joke.

4e MM "I'm a monster! Rawr!"

themaque
2016-02-25, 03:08 PM
Dwarf or Kender depending on the GM.

KaizronGyre
2016-02-25, 03:17 PM
Dwarf or Kender depending on the GM. So dwarf. Because I can't think of a time when one of my kender players hasn't had a player caused "accident".

Ralanr
2016-02-26, 12:03 PM
Humans, because I am boring.

If I have to play a non-human character for some reason, Warforged or 4e Dragonborn (I don't know what 5e Dragonborn are like).

They aren't very different.

Also, dragonborn are my favorite. I like dragons, but most "half-dragon" incarnations in fiction are more "humans with scales and wings" and less "humanoid dragon".

I want to play a humanoid dragon because I want to look similar to a dragon (mainly in the head). Not to be a scaly human.

I also like dwarves and half-orcs.

BWR
2016-02-26, 01:58 PM
Humans, not so much because they are human but because they seem to get all the most varied and interesting cultures.

Jay R
2016-02-26, 03:34 PM
Humans. No player ever uses that race as an excuse to try to wreck the game.

Gamgee
2016-02-26, 03:49 PM
:elan: Look at me, I'm a psionic race!

That made me chuckle. :smallsmile:

Lentrax
2016-02-26, 06:13 PM
Honestly, I do not have a preferred race. My racial selection usually comes from my class concept, or the flavor of the game.

That said, I do also heavily use humans, because they are in just about every setting.

Deffers
2016-02-26, 08:57 PM
Tieflings. I like the idea of good guys trying to throw off evil origins and inclinations.

Drow. Not for the above reasons-- in fact, almost never for the above reasons-- but because they can be an interesting concept if they buck convention in some way-- in the spaces between Drizzt and your typical Drow Priestess of Lolth. Like, say, a Neutral Drow who was the equivalent of a sanitation worker who's on the run because they got implicated as a pawn in some political game. Or a lawful evil Drow who left the underdark because its backstabbing politics are just not what they're looking for-- they're the kind of Lawful Evil that still yearns for a group they can actually trust, and it'd be that group against the world. Or a lawful evil Drow who's just lazy and finds stabbing things easier than trying to climb a ladder of duplicity and hate.

Necropolitans. Warforged. Because sometimes your party needs a Hazmat option, and a character backstory is in some ways more satisfying than a Resist Heat/Cold spell.

JAL_1138
2016-02-27, 06:25 AM
Gnomes, which I'm also banned from playing in both 2e and 5e, at multiple tables, after one too many shenanigans. If allowed to play a gnome, I will almost invariably find a way to turn a serious campaign into a very silly one, wreck a campaign entirely via inventions, or derail any sense of focus or pace by taking too much time trying to invent something very silly and/or campaign-wrecking.

Dwarves, which I'm getting close to getting a ban on due to constant Dwarf Fortress references, Discworld references, and/or silly over-the-top stereotyping.

Half-elves, because they make such good skillmonkey bards.

Tiri
2016-02-27, 08:12 AM

I always got the feeling kobolds would rather just exterminate all the other races (except maybe dragons) than opress them. Goblins are just trying to survive.

AtlasSniperman
2016-02-27, 09:19 PM

Woooo KENKU!
I've Homebrewed that race so much that I don't even care about the official stuff anymore, it's basically a different avian humanoid race :P

Elxir_Breauer
2016-02-29, 05:17 PM
For me, I'd have to say my favorite race is Thri-Kreen. Probably mostly because of the ability to jump freaking EVERYWHERE... I've always wanted to build a Final Fantasy style Dragoon/Lancer (Jump high into the air and land on the target with a polearm/lance for massive amounts of damage) and Thri-Kreen seem to have the best shot at actually pulling it off without tons of magic shenanigans. Aside from them, probably Human due to sheer versatility, followed by Warforged for the magic robot flavor.

cobaltstarfire
2016-02-29, 07:54 PM
Woooo KENKU!
I've Homebrewed that race so much that I don't even care about the official stuff anymore, it's basically a different avian humanoid race :P

I feel really ambivalent about the 5e version, they can only talk via words/phrases they have heard before and I'm not sure how that would work out. Could be fun or a real pain. Though I suppose something a player could functionally ignore depending on how much the kenku had gotten around. Anthropomorphic birds are fun, same for lizards, or yappy dog lizards (which is why I like kobolds they're cute...nasty little buggers, but cute)

I did cook up some 5e kobolds a month or so ago, though I got hung up on sub-race perks and never finished....don't really want to post them up though cause there's like a billion kobold homebrews, and mine would only be slightly different than those that exist, though possibly the only ones who gloss over the "draconic" heritage thing so as to be friendly to people regardless of the kind of kobold they like.

Amidus Drexel
2016-02-29, 11:28 PM
Changelings, Warforged, Elan, and Necropolitans (usually human or elf-derived) are my favorites. Special nod to the half-fiend and half-farspawn templates, and humans of course.

GnomishPride
2016-02-29, 11:46 PM
Gnomes, mostly because Small size is super cool and my longest running character ever is a gnome. Also, they are mischievous pranksters who can do cool tricksy stuff and cool magitek/mechanical inventions (well that's the gnome archetype, and the kind I love to play). There's a reason I'm GnomishPride. :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-01, 02:23 PM
The less human like, the better. I love trying to get into the heads of strange races. If the dm balks at non standard races i just take human and give them a boring name and background. I think to date i hve played 5 bakers turned adventurer.

Komatik
2016-03-01, 04:38 PM
Things with a crippling level adjustment. 3e races just aren't allowed to be cool and playable. There are some LA0 races that I like apart from humans, Necropolitans and Killoren probably being at the top of the list from a flavour perspective. Elans maybe too.

What I really, really despise are races that are like "hey, here's a cool concept... except we totally watered it down in nonsensical and/or lame ways because LA0" like Raptorans. No sir, a race dependent on flight for their culture are all Level 6+ somehow when that's not at all normal for just about anything else?

In that vein, Lesser Fey'ri are one of my favourite ways to say "**** you" to LA. Probably a favourite race too, being elves and having some mechanical meat to them.

NomGarret
2016-03-04, 05:00 PM
I have to say Goliath. An excellent big race with both a cool default culture and room to fit other concepts and settings.

That being said, I play a lot of Dwarves.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2016-03-04, 05:22 PM
Well, my go-to race tends to be human, as they're pretty versatile, and I can make just about any concept or build work with them. Barring that, I like playing races like Warforged or Changelings, races that have unique abilities or qualities compared to normal player races.

My man. I love playing those 3 races.

Parvum
2016-03-04, 09:07 PM
Changelings by far. I love it when the designer says, "You know what? Let's just... not limit the fantasy thing. Let's just let them do the magic thing whenever they want."

Also kobolds because they're so scrawny and grell because they're just great fun.

zubb
2016-03-06, 06:53 PM
I prefer the humans, but I kind of want to try an ork or half ork or whatever.

Aetol
2016-03-08, 02:43 PM
It might be too early to call it my favorite race, but I'm currently playing a werewolf and I'm considering playing one again the next time I'm in a 3.5 campaign where monstrous races are on the table.

This is mostly because I shied away from the "infected lycanthrope" version of the template, and now my neutral, fully-in-control werewolf seems a bit bland. Occasional transformation screw-ups sound more fun than "human in towns, hybrid in fights, never wolf because it's useless".

Chnapy
2016-03-08, 03:28 PM
I've had lots of love over the years, kobolds, ghouls, lycanthropes...but the one race I always loved (and could actually play in most games =D) is halfling. Dunno if it's just the Bilbo effect (I did get exposed to tolkien's books and jackson's first movie at a young age after all) or the idea to be somehow shorter than 1.9 meters (cause if you're gonna fantasize about being shorter, you might as well do it well).

Or the fact that they're basically fantasy gypsies. It's cool too. Anyway, they're the best.

cobaltstarfire
2016-03-08, 04:44 PM
It might be too early to call it my favorite race, but I'm currently playing a werewolf and I'm considering playing one again the next time I'm in a 3.5 campaign where monstrous races are on the table.

This is mostly because I shied away from the "infected lycanthrope" version of the template, and now my neutral, fully-in-control werewolf seems a bit bland. Occasional transformation screw-ups sound more fun than "human in towns, hybrid in fights, never wolf because it's useless".

I played a werewolf in rolemaster. There was no hybrid form in that game though, and it was magical rather than infected. She stayed mostly in wolf form (she was a caster with a lot of points invested in being able to bark fire balls/lightning/ect).

It was kind of fun when the full moon came around (most of us were some kind of Were, so it was carefully tracked by the GM, and us if we remembered) we'd roll to see if we lost control and went fully feral, or if we were forced to change but retained our human minds. My character spent so much more time in her wolf form that when full moons came, she'd change to a human, and if she failed hard enough would be terrified of animals for the night.

Though the game was also more of a social game than a combat game. (I mean there was combat, but sometimes we'd go several sessions with just socializing, or sneaking)

Velaryon
2016-03-08, 05:08 PM
I default to humans a lot, especially in 3.5. That's mostly for the extra feat so I can qualify for prestige classes faster. I typically have more of a class or set of abilities in mind than I do the race. If faster qualifying wasn't an issue, I don't think I would have a single preferred player race.

I enjoy Elf, because some people seem to be under the impression that all elves are beautiful and sagely and righteous and perfect creatures... so I love to make jerkass elven characters who are just awful to people.

Also, I enjoy the 1 extra move and ability to re-roll failed attacks. That's right. *drops mic* *leaves*

Maybe it's because of the portrayal of Mirkwood's elves in The Hobbit, or maybe it's because I and several of my friends have played all the Suikoden games, but jerkass elves sound like normal elves to me. :smallbiggrin:

Changelings are nice for the social aspects, but sadly nobody lets me play them exactly as I want anymore:smallfrown: And if I do, it usually gets me banned. So I have to make do.

Gnomes are fun. And LE elves.

I have to ask - what is it you like to do with changelings that gets them banned at your table?

Aetol
2016-03-08, 05:28 PM
Maybe it's because of the portrayal of Mirkwood's elves in The Hobbit, or maybe it's because I and several of my friends have played all the Suikoden games, but jerkass elves sound like normal elves to me. :smallbiggrin:

That's hardly an uncommon portrayal of elves, really. Case in point. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CantArgueWithElves)

Did you click on that link ? I hope you didn't intend to do anything productive today then.

Piedmon_Sama
2016-03-08, 05:46 PM
It's gnomes. Not even a question. If I could save only one demihuman race from oblivion in the next edition, it'd be gnomes. List of reasons?

1) Giant noses. Adorable.

2) Hilarious tall hats. Adorable!

3) Doing "the gnome voice" in games is fun, as is shouting cheesy lines like "FALL into my web of illusion!" and "add a little COLOR to your life!" *casts color spray*

4) You're the techno race and nobody questions it. You want to have a blunderbuss and alchemical fire grenades? You got it bub.

5) You're also the wizard race because gnomes can just rock at multiple things. If you enjoy dropping a "judge me by my size, do you?" before dropping a giant spider illusion over the middle of an orc platoon and other sundry tricks you've come to the right race.

6) badgers are your friends. Badgers badgers badgers!

NRSASD
2016-03-08, 06:26 PM
Aquatic lizardmen-like races, thri-kreen, and half-elves. Being a lizard or bug person is waaay too much fun, especially when combined with the low-magic settings I tend to play in. Half-elves are great for their versatility, and for their ability to appear sane when they most definitely are not.

Belac93
2016-03-08, 10:24 PM
I have to ask - what is it you like to do with changelings that gets them banned at your table?

Mainly bluff shenanigans. A bard plus a suggestion spell and a shapeshift can work wonders on NPC's and monsters brains.
Friends+Shapeshifting in 5e automatically makes anybody mad at anyone else.
Plus, I use it for ideas that other players would rather not imagine. Such as wearing tights as a hot elf girl, and then turning into the ugliest dwarf you ever saw once, 'stuff,' goes down. Its pretty much trolling NPC's taken up to 11. Combine with CN any evil and its even worse.

So I usually just play them as tricksters, but good at heart.

goto124
2016-03-08, 11:37 PM
Such as wearing tights as a hot elf girl, and then turning into the ugliest dwarf you ever saw once, 'stuff,' goes down.

I take it you mean the ugliest dwarf girl you ever saw once.

Granhyt
2016-03-09, 01:08 AM

I don't think so. :D

Personnaly, I have no set races. Once I found the concept of my character, race, gender and classe are taken by saying : "Hum, it's fit."
If I list my characters in played in the three last years which have multiples races (Chtulu doesn't count), I have about ten humans, three or two elves, then halfling (the two of them) and then one of a kind. Such as a shy dwarf warrior, a lamia superhero (technically human), a senile centaur and ... a mlp pegasus.

For a long time, I mostly played humanoids and well, human is the simplest humanoid to play.

Strangely, my favorite race would be changelins. But I never played any. I have my fix of transforming multi-identity characters with one of my humans, which is sort of a bard.

Belac93
2016-03-09, 09:47 AM

Doesn't really matter.

GrayDeath
2016-03-11, 02:50 PM
Doesn't really matter.

Correct, since dwarfs reproduce asexually anyway (the hatch fromS tone Eggs, eg the hardest, least subtle parts of Big Mountain Rock^^).

As for me: depends.
if its limited to the CLassical D&D Races I`d say Human or half Elf (for Fluff reasons), with Tieflings and Aasimars on close second.

If other worlds count too I add elves, Draconians, and Intelligent Constructs (not Warforged).

CWater
2016-03-11, 06:40 PM
Half-elves. They have a convenient age for background purposes, but are not too strange in comparison to humans. Also, pointy ears. ;)

Not that I dislike playing strange races either, but those might not always be allowed and/or work with every concept.