PDA

View Full Version : Equipping For Rerolls

Afgncaap5
2016-02-23, 11:35 PM
So... I'm about to equip a level 10 caster who's adept at luck, fate, probability, and gambling. I'm trying to compile a lot of "lucky" items that grant luck bonuses, miss-chances, rerolls, etc. The Luck Stone or Luck Blade would be perfect if they weren't way out of my price range, for instance. A refluffed Shadow Cloak from Drow of the Underdark, for instance. It'd also be awesome if I could get an item that allowed me to gain access to the Lucky Blade or Lucky Cape artificer infusions, but I'd have to make a DC 23 and 25 UMD check (cross class) to pull off activating a Minor Schema of those. So... that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Naturally I've been mining Complete Scoundrel and Complete Adventurer for such items. Having said all that... any suggestions for gear? The DM hasn't expressly banned things from odd sources like Dragon Magazine or Rokugan, but even if she decides I shouldn't use that stuff I wouldn't mind knowing for future reference.

Jowgen
2016-02-24, 12:12 AM
The Granted power of the Pride domain (SpC) is the best re-roll ability that I know in game. It can be gotten via Touchstone feat (Sand) keyed to the catalogues of enlightenment (PlH).

Magic Item compendium has several re-roll items; which apply to one thing or another.

Arms and Equipement guide has the Lucky weapon special ability; which addmittedly only adds a +1 Luck bonus to saves, but it fits your theme (put it on a Kneeblade or something).

Beware that any Luck feat can be gotten via the Court of Thieves magical location from complete scoundrel, costing you 6000 gp in WBL. Luck feats kinda reek let you really invest in them A LOT (and then they are still limited); but if you can convince your DM that any sufficiently large metropolis has a Court of Thieves, you might be able to purchase this location several times so you can get to the real good luck feats.

The single best and most versatile luck spell in game is the infamous Alter Fortune spell (PH 2). Works on any die roll for yourself or others. Now by RAW, and eternal wand (MIC) of this costs the same as any other 3rd level eternal wand (10.900 gp). Put one in the wand chamber (dungeonscape) of your Lucky (A&E) wristblade, and you've always got really versatile re-rolls/day.

That... is about everything I can think of, off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh, Ring of Anticipation from DotU for 2 chances to roll Intitiative. How could I forget that one...

Afgncaap5
2016-02-24, 07:08 PM
The Granted power of the Pride domain (SpC) is the best re-roll ability that I know in game. It can be gotten via Touchstone feat (Sand) keyed to the catalogues of enlightenment (PlH).

Magic Item compendium has several re-roll items; which apply to one thing or another.

Arms and Equipement guide has the Lucky weapon special ability; which addmittedly only adds a +1 Luck bonus to saves, but it fits your theme (put it on a Kneeblade or something).

Beware that any Luck feat can be gotten via the Court of Thieves magical location from complete scoundrel, costing you 6000 gp in WBL. Luck feats kinda reek let you really invest in them A LOT (and then they are still limited); but if you can convince your DM that any sufficiently large metropolis has a Court of Thieves, you might be able to purchase this location several times so you can get to the real good luck feats.

The single best and most versatile luck spell in game is the infamous Alter Fortune spell (PH 2). Works on any die roll for yourself or others. Now by RAW, and eternal wand (MIC) of this costs the same as any other 3rd level eternal wand (10.900 gp). Put one in the wand chamber (dungeonscape) of your Lucky (A&E) wristblade, and you've always got really versatile re-rolls/day.

That... is about everything I can think of, off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh, Ring of Anticipation from DotU for 2 chances to roll Intitiative. How could I forget that one...

Ah, perfect... I am, in fact, investing heavily in Luck Feats (I figured it was time to make a character that did so) and getting an extra one would be nice, even if I won't get all the benefits from the 6k gold (the GM really doesn't use contacts or allow the Leadership feat.) Wondrous Locations are exactly the kind of thing I forget about when making a character.

I've got Alter Fortune, I also have another spell that I'm trying to decide about called Ruin Delver's Fortune. It feels like a spell that my character shouldn't be without (I mean, are you *really* the luckiest person alive if it's impossible to walk out of a fireball without a scratch on you?) but on the other hand it's the only 4th level spell I'm getting. I'll be taking it, I'm sure, but I'll be grabbing a couple spare scrolls of some of the other things I'd want as well.