PDA

View Full Version : Something funny I noticed...

atemu1234
2016-02-24, 09:01 AM
Multiclass penalties can reduce a character's XP rewards to 0%, but I figured out a way to make it -20%. That's right, you lose XP. Just get a Deck of Many Things, and hope you draw the Comet card to get that extra level, and put it into a different character class when you can already gain no XP from encounters.

Necroticplague
2016-02-24, 09:34 AM
Multiclass penalties can reduce a character's XP rewards to 0%, but I figured out a way to make it -20%. That's right, you lose XP. Just get a Deck of Many Things, and hope you draw the Comet card to get that extra level, and put it into a different character class when you can already gain no XP from encounters.

Actually, its even easier than that, due to how poorly thought out the rules are. You could simply take two levels in a class that isn't favored,then 6 one level dips, then take a third level in the class. Bang, 120% penalty.

atemu1234
2016-02-24, 09:35 AM
Actually, its even easier than that, due to how poorly thought out the rules are. You could simply take two levels in a class that isn't favored,then 6 one level dips, then take a third level in the class. Bang, 120% penalty.

And then use my trick to get a 140% penalty.

nedz
2016-02-24, 10:00 AM
And then use my trick to get a 140% penalty.

Or just take another 1 level dip, though that has to be before you snag the penalty.

turbo164
2016-02-24, 10:24 AM
"I draw from the deck!...The Troll?"
"Good news: you gain 6 levels!"
":smallbiggrin:"
"Bad news: those levels are Commoner, Warrior, Aristocrat, Samurai, Truenamer, and Monk."
":smallsigh:"

Blackhawk748
2016-02-24, 10:29 AM
"I draw from the deck!...The Troll?"
"Good news: you gain 6 levels!"
":smallbiggrin:"
"Bad news: those levels are Commoner, Warrior, Aristocrat, Samurai, Truenamer, and Monk."
":smallsigh:"

"I can work with those last 2!!"

Also, wow, i knew Multi Class XP penalties where dumb, just not that dumb.

atemu1234
2016-02-24, 10:46 AM
"I can work with those last 2!!"

Also, wow, i knew Multi Class XP penalties where dumb, just not that dumb.

"I now lose XP whenever I succeed at combat! And it actually makes me more effective in the long-term!"

ATHATH
2016-02-24, 11:04 AM
Would that cause you to gain XP from crafting magic items?

Nibbens
2016-02-24, 01:32 PM

Brain = Exploded.

nedz
2016-02-24, 01:35 PM

And from Dying.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-24, 01:54 PM

Is there a way to get to -200% XP? So that you get the full xp cost of crafting everytime you make sumtin? XP cost spells are the best way to trickle xp to yourself.

Would you gain XP from being defeated in battle? (get some of those heroic & protected destiny feats that prevent you from dying for reasons beyond the plot)

How does negative XP this interact with springing a trap instead of disabling it?

Kensai ideas:
Take all those dips and then take kensai to become a crafter. Imbuing weapons is a thing that costs you xp, therefor it grants you XP. But, you need a weapon that readily breaks apart, lest you run afoul of the prohibition about needing to fix the item.
Isn't there a lance that breaks if it fails a DC 8 save?

You can imbue an item that acts as ammunition and a weapon, and then use the 50% of ammunition is permalost... imbue a javelin and use it in an icechucker?

Net is a good option, people love cutting through nets.

What is the weakest material? perhaps you can make your +1 enhancement be on things that break easily. "The motley warrior returns from his meditations. "Here is Tanknard!, my empty beer bottle of holy surges!" He then smashes the bottle over the undead goblin's head, grabs a new beer, drinks it, and begins walking back to his meditation clearing."

Really though, what is the crappiest special material in terms of breaking on you?

Blackhawk748
2016-02-24, 02:24 PM
Is there a way to get to -200% XP? So that you get the full xp cost of crafting everytime you make sumtin? XP cost spells are the best way to trickle xp to yourself.

Would you gain XP from being defeated in battle? (get some of those heroic & protected destiny feats that prevent you from dying for reasons beyond the plot)

How does negative XP this interact with springing a trap instead of disabling it?

Kensai ideas:
Take all those dips and then take kensai to become a crafter. Imbuing weapons is a thing that costs you xp, therefor it grants you XP. But, you need a weapon that readily breaks apart, lest you run afoul of the prohibition about needing to fix the item.

You can imbue an item that acts as ammunition and a weapon, and then use the 50% of ammunition is permalost... imbue a javelin and use it in an icechucker?

What is the weakest material? perhaps you can make your +1 enhancement be on things that break easily. "The motley warrior returns from his meditations. "Here is Tanknard!, my empty beer bottle of holy surges!" He then smashes the bottle over the undead goblin's head, grabs a new beer, drinks it, and begins walking back to his meditation clearing."

Really though, what is the crappiest special material in terms of breaking on you?

That you could make a weapon out of? Probably wood.

Necroticplague
2016-02-24, 02:37 PM

Yes. Using my method earlier, you can go up to 340% penalties (just increase the amount of 1-level dips before you take the third level).

nedz
2016-02-24, 02:46 PM
Just make lots of magical traps and throw them away. You wouldn't want to risk someone being hurt by one - you might lose xp that way.

daremetoidareyo
2016-02-24, 03:16 PM
That you could make a weapon out of? Probably wood.

"Jim, the motley fool who uses a balsawood quarterstaff once a day. Breaks both halves of it and dissappears for 24 hours."

"I heard that he built a trap that reinvigorates you...he uses it to constantly re-enchant new balsawood quarterstaves without any negative ramifications of not sleeping for multiple days"

"He's weird"

digiman619
2016-02-24, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=turbo164;20462718
[/QUOTE]

Truenamer?!?! Have you no pity?!?!

turbo164
2016-02-24, 05:14 PM

Kensai ideas:

There's the Sugliin from Frostburn, which breaks on a crit or max damage roll iirc.

Rijan_Sai
2016-02-24, 05:23 PM
"Jim, the motley fool who uses a balsawood quarterstaff once a day. Breaks both halves of it and dissappears for 24 hours."

"I heard that he built a trap that reinvigorates you...he uses it to constantly re-enchant new balsawood quarterstaves without any negative ramifications of not sleeping for multiple days"

"He's weird"

...*but he's still hungry* UC
<_< WatI
>_>didthar
*Flee the Scene*