PDA

View Full Version : Size change decision

Shnigda
2016-02-24, 09:49 AM
Hey guys, my DM recently introduced our party to a wizard who offered to permanently reduce the size of a character to small via reduce person (or enlarge a person permanently via enlarge person) and permanency.
My character is a TWF rogue character, so I decided to take up the wizards offer as extra to-hit and hide is always useful.
This cost me 3200gp, so my question is: Was this worth it?

OldTrees1
2016-02-24, 10:27 AM
Depends on how long it lasts before being dispelled. Reduce person is, overall, a buff for your rogue (Enlarge person might have been a bigger buff depending on priorities but that is neither here nor there). Medium size has little going for it compared to Small and Large sizes.

There is a question of opportunity cost though. Depending on your level that 3K gp might have delayed a necessary item. If you are 6th level or higher, check to make sure you have:
Ability to hit incorporeal creatures (magic weapon is enough)
Ability to fight invisible creatures and illusions
Ability to fight flying enemies

If you can say yes to all 3 then the reduction is probably worth it as long as it lasts for awhile before being dispelled.

Blackhawk748
2016-02-24, 10:31 AM
If its not dispelled almost immediately then sure. Hell if you can get 2-4 levels out of it and then it gets dispelled thats still pretty good.

Shnigda
2016-02-24, 10:53 AM
Depends on how long it lasts before being dispelled. Reduce person is, overall, a buff for your rogue (Enlarge person might have been a bigger buff depending on priorities but that is neither here nor there). Medium size has little going for it compared to Small and Large sizes.

There is a question of opportunity cost though. Depending on your level that 3K gp might have delayed a necessary item. If you are 6th level or higher, check to make sure you have:
Ability to hit incorporeal creatures (magic weapon is enough)
Ability to fight invisible creatures and illusions
Ability to fight flying enemies

If you can say yes to all 3 then the reduction is probably worth it as long as it lasts for awhile before being dispelled.

I'm almost level 10, have a magic weapon and can shoot a bow (there's also a wildshape, natural spell druid who could probably ground flying enemies), so those two are covered. But the illusions and invisible creatures are a problem... what would you suggest to combat that?

Also, on the point of dispelling, I was planning on getting a spellblade enhancement and linking it to Dispel Magic (I don't think the DM realises that Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel aren't countered by one spellblade (IIRC)

OldTrees1
2016-02-24, 11:11 AM
I'm almost level 10, have a magic weapon and can shoot a bow (there's also a wildshape, natural spell druid who could probably ground flying enemies), so those two are covered. But the illusions and invisible creatures are a problem... what would you suggest to combat that?

Also, on the point of dispelling, I was planning on getting a spellblade enhancement and linking it to Dispel Magic (I don't think the DM realises that Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel aren't countered by one spellblade (IIRC)

Scout's Headband is an item in Magic Item Compendium that grants True Seeing 1/day for roughly 3K gp. But buy some flour anyways.