PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What would you allow a player to trade a Frostbrand sword for?

Degwerks
2016-02-24, 10:34 AM
I've got a 9th level Warlock who has a Frostbrand sword and it's of no use to me (I'm not blade-pact) or to any of my party members. We are on our way to a huge city in our campaign where Magic is pretty abundant as far as finding spell components, selling spell components & spell books, finding/hiring of spellcasters, crafting and purchasing of some magical items.

I've asked my GM about trading it or selling it off and he mentioned I'd have better luck traveling to this big city. My question is what magical item or items would be a Reasonable Trade for my Warlock?

The Frostbrand is listed as a Very Rare item and was given to me by a Prince of sorts as payment for services rendered.

Lines
2016-02-24, 10:40 AM
I've got a 9th level Warlock who has a Frostbrand sword and it's of no use to me (I'm not blade-pact) or to any of my party members. We are on our way to a huge city in our campaign where Magic is pretty abundant as far as finding spell components, selling spell components & spell books, finding/hiring of spellcasters, crafting and purchasing of some magical items.

I've asked my GM about trading it or selling it off and he mentioned I'd have better luck traveling to this big city. My question is what magical item or items would be a Reasonable Trade for my Warlock?

The Frostbrand is listed as a Very Rare item and was given to me by a Prince of sorts as payment for services rendered.

Get it swapped for a Rod of the Pact Keeper, an effective +6 charisma as it relates to your spells is unmatched by any other very rare item.

Jaelommiss
2016-02-24, 10:53 AM

Depending on your table it might be a good idea to consider what the prince will think of you selling or trading away a reward he gave you. I could even see a benefit to wearing it proudly to show others that you are in good standings with him.

"I'm sorry, sir. I can't let you in here without an invitation. Wait. Is that a blade from the personal armory of Prince Princington? My mistake, sir. Clearly you are a cut above the normal rabble I deal with. Enjoy Duke BBEG's ball."

As for what you'd trade it for, that'll depend on the setting. In one game I'm playing even mentioning that you have a magic sword would get you forcibly ejected from the city, if not arrested or murdered by a mob. In another it could be freely exchanged for an equally rare item given a couple of days.

WarrentheHero
2016-02-24, 10:58 AM
"I'm sorry, sir. I can't let you in here without an invitation. Wait. Is that a blade from the personal armory of Prince Princington? My mistake, sir. Clearly you are a cut above the normal rabble I deal with. Enjoy Duke BBEG's ball."

"Wouldn't want them to think you're part of the common rabble, now would we?" -Jarl Balgruuf of Whiterun

rlc
2016-02-24, 11:05 AM
As for what you'd trade it for, that'll depend on the setting. In one game I'm playing even mentioning that you have a magic sword would get you forcibly ejected from the city, if not arrested or murdered by a mob. In another it could be freely exchanged for an equally rare item given a couple of days.
Here's the setting:

We are on our way to a huge city in our campaign where Magic is pretty abundant as far as finding spell components, selling spell components & spell books, finding/hiring of spellcasters, crafting and purchasing of some magical items.

But yeah, I'd say go for rod of the pact keeper, if you can.

Joe the Rat
2016-02-24, 11:41 AM
Was that his personal reward? Is there anyone else in the party who could use it?

If item history matters, then you should keep it in-party. If you can do an item shuffle to where you get a VR that nobody once, swap that for the Rod. For a Warlock, Rod is all business, all the time.

...and now it sounds like I'm talking about someone. If you get pushback, or if you are the Face for your group, you could angle for the Tome of Leadership instead, and turn your charisma all the way up to 11 22. Smaller caster boon, good everywhere else.

Baptor
2016-02-24, 12:39 PM
Here's what I understand:

1. Its a high magic setting.
2. It was a gift from a lord.
3. No one can use it.

How important was it to the lord? If it was just one of his countless magic swords, then trade it for the rod mentioned earlier. If it was his uncle's personal sword that he famously used to slay Gondoliath the Balor, keep it and flash it around to show how important you are. It all depends on how famous the sword is. If frostbrands are lying around everywhere, trade it.

Degwerks
2016-02-24, 01:17 PM
Okay so to clarify some things for more consideration.

1. I got this Frostbrand later then everyone else in the party had already received their custom weapons. I was late to join into the campaign and didn't receive a Custom item like they did, theirs was a "leveling up/legacy style" weapon, that was just starting to show their powers & abilities around 6th level.

2. I mentioned that I didn't have any magic stuff except a bag of holding, and now the whole party each had AT LEAST 1 magic weapon each. For giggles I asked this Prince guy for 1 of the 2 swords he carried as part of my payment for helping save his island and people. He gave me the Frostbrand. Everyone else had already received stuff and had previously made arrangements for their reward. Mine was a "felt sorry for the warlock because we forgot he doesn't have anything" reward.

3. This sword wasn't important to the island lord/prince at all. Nobody even knows this dude. In the last 2 levels nobody has even noticed I carry it or anything.

Rod of the Pact Keeper sounds awesome, so does Staff of Power but for some reason THAT thing reads like it should be more than just a Very Rare item.

Other things I've been eye-balling in the DMG is Staff of Thunder/Lightning, Helm of Teleportation, Ring of Spell Storing, other misc uncommon to rare items.

Oh this campaign doesn't use feats either, I went a full 5 levels before I even touched a potion bottle and found a bag of holding.

Joe the Rat
2016-02-24, 01:28 PM
Okay so to clarify some things for more consideration.

1. I got this Frostbrand later then everyone else in the party had already received their custom weapons. I was late to join into the campaign and didn't receive a Custom item like they did, theirs was a "leveling up/legacy style" weapon, that was just starting to show their powers & abilities around 6th level.

2. I mentioned that I didn't have any magic stuff except a bag of holding, and now the whole party each had AT LEAST 1 magic weapon each. For giggles I asked this Prince guy for 1 of the 2 swords he carried as part of my payment for helping save his island and people. He gave me the Frostbrand. Everyone else had already received stuff and had previously made arrangements for their reward. Mine was a "felt sorry for the warlock because we forgot he doesn't have anything" reward.

3. This sword wasn't important to the island lord/prince at all. Nobody even knows this dude. In the last 2 levels nobody has even noticed I carry it or anything.

Rod of the Pact Keeper sounds awesome, so does Staff of Power but for some reason THAT thing reads like it should be more than just a Very Rare item.

Other things I've been eye-balling in the DMG is Staff of Thunder/Lightning, Helm of Teleportation, Ring of Spell Storing, other misc uncommon to rare items.

Oh this campaign doesn't use feats either, I went a full 5 levels before I even touched a potion bottle and found a bag of holding.

Right, off to the Pawn Shop then!
The Rod is a Warlock-specific, which dips into the "custom item niche". You could talk to your DM about getting into the minor effects and quirks - that adds a little more of a unique touch.

Something I always put on my wish list is the flying carpet. It's stylish.

Jera
2016-02-24, 06:03 PM
Just be careful when you ask your Dm something. I'm playing in a high magic campaign as well and we were allowed to ask for a magic item as a boon. Since it was my first session in 5th edition I didn't know what to ask for and as a joke I said a Candle of Invocation as it was the only thing I could think of.

Much to my surprise i was given one, but sadly(but rightly so IMHO) in 5th ed they don't come even close to the power of the 3rd ed candles. But hey I've got a back up gate spell to use whenever I need it.

Degwerks
2016-02-25, 10:21 AM
I'm leaning really hard on asking for a Helm of Teleportation and an uncommon version of the Rod of the Pactkeeper +1. That Helm of Teleport would work so well for me for RP purposes and the fact I'm playing my Warlock like a pickpocketing rogue anyway.

Joe the Rat
2016-02-25, 10:45 AM
See of you can get that in "Cloak of the Montebank" form (basically Port-O-Helm as a cloak). It's more stylin', and you're already eyeing the Warlock Pimp Cane.

...maybe that's just me.

Degwerks
2016-02-25, 11:02 AM
See of you can get that in "Cloak of the Montebank" form (basically Port-O-Helm as a cloak). It's more stylin', and you're already eyeing the Warlock Pimp Cane.

...maybe that's just me.

You sir have a very keen eye for flavor. I'm going to try to see if I can do this.

manny2510
2016-02-25, 11:34 AM
I personally never kept my gifts from the Jarls of Skyrim. That aside it entirely depends on the power of the prince. If he has immense clout that Frostbrand is worth way more than any magic item, as it lends leverage. If he is a nobody that will never again be referenced in the campaign I'd still be tempted to keep frost-brand purely for the ability to put out torches because I love utility. Sneak up on a gaurd patrol? Blind them in ambush!