PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Turtle attacks during ship travel

Nonah_Me
2016-02-24, 11:04 AM
I'm planning on having a Dragon Turtle attack the party while traveling on a ship to a new continent. It's hired by the Cult of the Dragon as revenge against a particular party member for events that happened in Hoard of the Dragon Queen (in a homebrew world where the Sword Coast was dropped into it).

My question: Do I have the turtle attack the ship, or should it try to kill the crew and PCs? The MM states that Dragon Turtles often act as regular dragons would, but that their lairs are usually on the bottom of the sea. They're also mercenary, and do love their treasure. The PCs don't really have a lot of gold shiny coins or treasure to bribe the dragon with, so that tactic is not likely to work.

Do you think it'd be fair to strand my party in the open ocean if it attacks the ship? They are level 14, party composition is: Long Death monk, Shadow Monk (with the black dragon mask, she's the one they're gunning for) a Master Thief/Knowledge Cleric 12/2, a Great Old Pact Warlock, and a Moon Druid.

swrider
2016-02-24, 11:41 AM
Do you think it'd be fair to strand my party in the open ocean if it attacks the ship? They are level 14, party composition is: Long Death monk, Shadow Monk (with the black dragon mask, she's the one they're gunning for) a Master Thief/Knowledge Cleric 12/2, a Great Old Pact Warlock, and a Moon Druid.

It sounds like an interesting twist and absolutely within the realm of reason. Especially since your Druid can cast water breathing as a ritual and it lasts 24 hours. I would however have some sort of underwater civilization nearby so that the campaign becomes an underwater campaign. Perhaps they can recruit the natives to help defeat the dragon turtle.

I would have the dragon turtle do shock and awe tactics.
1a goal sink the ship
1b wait
2a sink the life boats
2b wait
3a pick off survivors look for target
3b loot

Temperjoke
2016-02-24, 12:15 PM
Well, if the dragon turtle was hired specifically to hunt these individuals, then it would depend on the nature of this one. It could just rise up, threaten everyone with death if the individuals aren't tossed over the sides for it, or it could just try to sink the entire ship and kill everyone. With the second route, then you have the option of having the ship crew aid the party in fighting off the dragon turtle. Is the dragon turtle likely to just randomly attack, or will it try to verify that the targets are on board the ship first?

ImSAMazing
2016-02-24, 12:27 PM
Well, if the dragon turtle was hired specifically to hunt these individuals, then it would depend on the nature of this one. It could just rise up, threaten everyone with death if the individuals aren't tossed over the sides for it, or it could just try to sink the entire ship and kill everyone. With the second route, then you have the option of having the ship crew aid the party in fighting off the dragon turtle. Is the dragon turtle likely to just randomly attack, or will it try to verify that the targets are on board the ship first?

Yeah it totally depends on the Dragon Turtle. And the ship. For if the ship carried lots of gold, ofcourse he will sink the ship, he is a dragon(I know generalisation and dragons also have rights but let's ignore that right now...). Then he will he use his Steam Breath, which will probably break down most of the ship. Else he might lie underwater, then when a partymember is on the side of the boat, just snatch it. Wont be hard for a dragon to grapple him and pull him underwater, especially with an suprise round.

Nonah_Me
2016-02-24, 12:32 PM

Hmm, I like the Turtle asking for the crew to throw his targets overboard. It means that the PCs will have to make some social checks to not have them attempt it, or, knowing my players, they'll slaughter the crew, allowing the Turtle to attack the ship.

The Turtle has been told that a female elf is the target, so I might just have it attempt to snatch the first female elf it sees near the edge of the ship, which could be the monk or the druid.

Thanks for the suggestions!

swrider
2016-02-24, 12:34 PM
Is the dragon turtle trying to capture or kill their target?

Nonah_Me
2016-02-24, 01:18 PM
Is the dragon turtle trying to capture or kill their target?

That's a good question! If it was hired by the Cult of the Dragon (or a proxy) because the monk has the black dragon mask, I'd think that it would be good for the Cult if they got the mask back. That means that it would have to be a bit more careful, so that the mask doesn't get lost to the depths.

However, I don't know what would be more interesting: that the person who hired the dragon didn't think to include a better description than "elf woman," that the dragon turtle would just sink the ship and let it all work out, or that it would adopt a wait and see approach, and try to bargain with the crew up front? I'm away from my books, so I'm not sure how cunning a dragon turtle would be.

swrider
2016-02-24, 01:56 PM
That's a good question! If it was hired by the Cult of the Dragon (or a proxy) because the monk has the black dragon mask, I'd think that it would be good for the Cult if they got the mask back. That means that it would have to be a bit more careful, so that the mask doesn't get lost to the depths.

However, I don't know what would be more interesting: that the person who hired the dragon didn't think to include a better description than "elf woman," that the dragon turtle would just sink the ship and let it all work out, or that it would adopt a wait and see approach, and try to bargain with the crew up front? I'm away from my books, so I'm not sure how cunning a dragon turtle would be.

Why do you need to decide which to use? Use both sinking the ship can be a backup plan. Perhaps one of the sailors is a spy for the cult or for the dragon which was hired to help identify the target. They could be influencing the crew to dump their passengers. If the spy fails then time for plan B.

swrider
2016-02-24, 02:12 PM
I had a funny thought.

Perhaps the turtle could float on the surface with only its shell above water. a spell could be cast making the shell look like an island full of life. The captain will send some small boats to shore to resupply which will of course include the party who is sick of being on the ship.

Shining Wrath
2016-02-24, 03:03 PM
Dragon Turtles are semi-sentient; AFB but IIRC INT = 6 or 8, that range. Smart enough to follow instructions; not really smart enough to think of things like "If I sink the ship that has the Black Dragon mask on it, the mask may be lost in the depths". On top of that, the turtle has its own agenda, which probably includes lots to eat and lots of shiny stuff. Again, this creature is not looking for intellectual stimulation but is smart enough to know a diamond has value.

Therefore, the turtle will probably do whatever the cultists told it to do, with a twist or two reflecting avarice and / or desire to avoid wholesale slaughter. These creatures live for centuries, after all, and have to develop strategies for existing alongside humanoids. A dragon turtle that sinks every ship that comes near it is a dragon turtle that is marked on the map as "Here Be Dragon Turtles!" until a high level party takes them out, either because the king sent them or because they want the loot.

Therefore, you need to think through how the cultists knew the party would be sailing this direction, how they made contact with the turtle, and what instructions they would have given it. Then, give the turtle a personality of some sort, and you'll have an encounter.

Inevitability
2016-02-24, 04:03 PM
Your characters should be okay if the ship gets destroyed, even if they don't get a lifeboat. If the druid turns into a killer whale, he'll be able to lift 1140 pounds. That's more than enough to carry the entire party and their stuff (maybe some NPC crew members too) while still being faster than the turtle.

Getting separated from the druid in the initial attack seems to be the biggest danger. I say you let the turtle destroy the hull with a few attacks from below, then try to grab the druid/monk and swim away.

Kurt Kurageous
2016-02-24, 07:45 PM
The dragon turtle is old because it is wise and patient. Its biggest advantage is it will probably be able to approach undetected and choose the time and place of the attack. It can also withdraw before a coherent response is made.

In the MM the dragon turtle is shown attacking the rudder. This is a great start. Now the dragon turtle has options. It could force the ship on a course of its choosing, stop the ship from effectively holding a course at speed, attack the ships' propulsion (oars, sails?), or try to put some water in the hull to slow the ship further.

The effect is to maroon the crew aboard their own ship. They will run low of supplies perhaps, suffer from exposure certainly, and feel like they are in an epic poem. The goal is to force the crew to abandon their ship to the turtle mostly intact.

And this is in good weather.

JoeJ
2016-02-25, 01:34 AM
Dragon Turtles are semi-sentient; AFB but IIRC INT = 6 or 8, that range. Smart enough to follow instructions; not really smart enough to think of things like "If I sink the ship that has the Black Dragon mask on it, the mask may be lost in the depths". On top of that, the turtle has its own agenda, which probably includes lots to eat and lots of shiny stuff. Again, this creature is not looking for intellectual stimulation but is smart enough to know a diamond has value.

Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 12, and nothing in the description about not being smart.

RickAllison
2016-02-25, 01:39 AM
Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 12, and nothing in the description about not being smart.

Indeed. They are not exactly renowned for their intelligence (especially compared to their sky-born brethren), but they are at least as intelligent as an ordinary commoner.

Forum Explorer
2016-02-25, 01:54 AM
I say you play up the vices of a dragon, in this case, pride, laziness, and greediness. It doesn't feel like it's in any danger, so it goes for a direct confrontation. It's lazy so it doesn't want to fight, so it demands the crew hand over the target in question. It's greedy so it wants to make even more money out of this if possible, so it'll search for a way to charge the cult more, or to get more money from the PCs/the ship.

lebefrei
2016-02-26, 02:13 AM
As a previous poster stated, with slightly above average mental stats a Dragon Turtle is no fool. This can be played out in a number of ways, but unless you as a DM choose to change one feature, they are out of luck communicating: Dragon Turtles do not speak Common! They speak Draconic and Aquan as per the MM. It's certainly possible that someone on the ship speaks one of those (especially Aquan to deal with things they would encounter) but I doubt your party does unless you have a Dragonborn.

Another thing to keep in mind before comparing it to other dragon foes in anything but its hoarding tendencies is that they are neutral, not evil. So, if they can communcate with it, it may be very reasonable if not helpful. As the quest that your party is on involves stopping Tiamat from rising, they may be able to persuade the creature that their quest is more important than a little gold, and that the people who hired him have led him astray. But that depends on how much he cares about treasure versus dragon politics, and that is up to you as DM.