PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Magic Items for Ultimate Magus

KingBiscuit
2016-02-24, 11:31 AM
I am playing an Ultimate Magus (Wizard 1/Warmage 4). This is my first time to play a primary caster and I am loving it!

My character recently found a ring of Wizardry I (DMG 233). I realized that the ring is twice as good for me as for a normal caster as it doubles my spells per day for both prepared and spontaneous classes.

Any suggestions on other magic items to work toward that would give a similar doubling 'bonus'? We use core rulebooks, MIC, and the Complete series. Anything outside of that would have to be DM approved.

Thanks

Zaq
2016-02-24, 12:11 PM
The Ring of Arcane Might (MIC 121) is a bit out of your price range as a level 5 character, but it increases your arcane CL by 1, and it doesn't care how many different CLs that is. You'd get a similar effect from the Ring of Enduring Arcana (CMag 126); it wouldn't actually make your spells more powerful, but it'll make them harder to dispel.

Similarly, anything that boosts a specific kind of spell won't care where that spell came from. As an example, there's the Ring of Mystic Fire (MIC 125), which (among other things) gives a +1 to CL on fire spells. Now, that's less likely to be useful for your specific character, as I imagine most of your fire spells will come from Warmage and not from Wizard, but it's the same sort of principle.

Since Wizard and Warmage don't use the same stat for casting, items that boost your INT or your CHA will mostly benefit only one side or the other, but since Warmage Edge is based on INT, an INT-boosting item will make your Wizard side a lot better and your Warmage side a little bit better. (Incidentally, this is why many Ultimate Magi use Wizard/Beguiler as the entry classes, but as long as your character works for you, that's what really matters.)