PDA

View Full Version : Horse mobility solutions for a low level character?

gadren
2016-02-24, 12:42 PM
So, my wife really wants to play a hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/hunter)with a horse for an animal companion in a low-level game that allows pretty much all Pathfinder and 3.5 1st party stuff, and is asking me for recommendations.
Problem is, I know the GM is running a more traditional adventure path, and those tend to make it hard to bring a horse along, both because of space and because horses can't climb ladders, ropes, etc. (If it was me, I'd just use a different companion, but she really wants a horse or pony.)
Anyone know of any official game options that make this easier that aren't an expensive magic item? Some spell to summon your animal companion to you, or shrink it or something?

ComaVision
2016-02-24, 12:50 PM
You could substitute Hunter for Mystic Ranger with the Wild Cohort feat. Play a small character on a pony so it fits in most places, and take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat at level 6 to get access to the Fly spell.

Troacctid
2016-02-24, 01:16 PM
Reduce Animal is a 2nd level Druid spell. You could also use a summoned horse via the Mount spell.

Inevitability
2016-02-24, 02:01 PM
What do you mean, horses can't climb laddders?

The climb DC to climb a ladder isn't more than 10 (proof: get a random commoner to climb up and down a ladder and you will notice he keeps moving at a stable pace). Horses have a positive climb check modifier. As long as it can take 10, it should be able to climb a rope. Concerned about the 'you need both hands' line? Just skin a goblin and tie its hands to your horses' legs.

Problem solved, no need to thank me. :smalltongue:

ImSAMazing
2016-02-24, 02:09 PM
What do you mean, horses can't climb laddders?

The climb DC to climb a ladder isn't more than 10 (proof: get a random commoner to climb up and down a ladder and you will notice he keeps moving at a stable pace). Horses have a positive climb check modifier. As long as it can take 10, it should be able to climb a rope. Concerned about the 'you need both hands' line? Just skin a goblin and tie its hands to your horses' legs.

Problem solved, no need to thank me. :smalltongue:

Skinned hands aren't that good at climbing ;)

Inevitability
2016-02-24, 02:13 PM
Skinned hands aren't that good at climbing ;)

So what? It just says 'you need both hands to climb'. Nowhere is it said those hands need to be yours, mobile, or alive.

gadren
2016-02-24, 03:32 PM
I just realized the Hunter can share the Winged Watcher 1st level spell with her animal companion, briefly turning both herself and her companion into owls or ravens.