PDA

View Full Version : DMing with 6 people

Trask
2016-02-24, 05:33 PM
I just started getting ready to DM the Freeport Trilogy for my group. Normally were 5 and it works out fine, but my girlfriend came to me and told me she finally wanted to try the game after a long time of being on the fence. I've already told my regulars about the game and I don't want to kick any of them out, but I also want to include her, so I've set on doing it with 6 even though I've never gone above 5.

Anyone have any advice for how the game will change and how to deal with it? How best to adjust encounters and such? Thanks

ComaVision
2016-02-24, 05:37 PM
Add 50% more baddies to the encounters. Consider methods of making the game run faster so combats don't take too long (like rolling attack and damage at the same time).

Trask
2016-02-24, 05:54 PM
I'm playing using an online service (roll20) so we can macro together the rolls to save time. What would you say I do during bossfights? Increase hp and AC? And would it be wise to increase the area space for encounters because of more people?

Quertus
2016-02-24, 06:06 PM
Having run (and played in) groups where double-digit players would sit down at the table, some of whom would run up to three characters, I can say that it depends.

Some things are constant. The more people, the more noise, and the further away the furthest player will be. More players need more space, and may require more shared resources.

More players means less of the DM's attention / less time in the spotlight for each player.

And some of it depends on the group dynamic. What do your players do when it's not their turn? Have you hung out with the group outside of gaming both with and without your girlfriend?

As to adjusting encounters... it depends on your groups expectations, and your gf's skills and inclinations. If she's new, she may be functionally useless, so no rebalancing required. If her intuition is really off, she may even be a liability! So test the waters slowly here.

Note that, in addition to "group larger than you've ever run before", you also have the "new player" and "DM's girlfriend" modifiers. Good luck!

Edit: removed references to face to face gaming, as these were irrelevant to OP.

ComaVision
2016-02-24, 06:09 PM
I'm playing using an online service (roll20) so we can macro together the rolls to save time. What would you say I do during bossfights? Increase hp and AC? And would it be wise to increase the area space for encounters because of more people?

Generally, one solo boss is bad anyway because of the huge action economy disadvantage (aka multiple PC turns between the boss turns). If it's a boss fight with a bunch of mooks, add more mooks and/or buff them up a bit by adding a class level or template or something. If it's a boss fight with just one boss, I'd recommend something like splitting him into 3 weaker counterparts or adding some mooks. I would caution against boosting up HP and AC a bunch because fights that drag out because of high AC aren't usually much fun, this could be less of an issues if a lot of the group doesn't rely on attack rolls though.

I haven't personally had issues with area space with larger groups but it may be necessary if there is going to be a lot of 10' hallways or something like that. That also depends on your group make-up, if you don't have a lot of melee they probably won't be bothered by cramped conditions.

Trask
2016-02-24, 06:14 PM
My girlfriend is friends with all of them so that part is fine. Also she has some sense about the game, I played a fast D&D lite with her and her roommates. The other players are fairly competent, with 1 of them being a very experienced optimizer.

Machinekng
2016-02-24, 06:35 PM
If 5 people works fine for you, then 6 will probably be fine as well. I feel that there are bigger shifts in gameplay between 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 players, so I don't think that it'll throw a wrench in your dynamic. In general, I would agree that increasing the number of monsters and the space for combat is a good idea.

BRC
2016-02-24, 06:38 PM
The big issue with larger groups is slowdown. Any tricks that you use to keep people engaged or speed up combats should be kicked up a notch.

Joe the Rat
2016-02-24, 10:38 PM

Rolling together is something I do now, as it speeds things up. That can help. Encourage your players to plan their moves.

All of the other notes on rebalancing are good. Fights will get easier.

Something else to remember is to make sure everyone gets time in the spotlight, as characters and as players. It gets easier to lose people into the crowd. If they need to split for something, encourage them to always have a buddy.

Knaight
2016-02-28, 06:34 AM
The biggest issue with larger groups is focus - if people can stay reasonably focused on the game, all should be well. If people are more distraction prone, it just gets worse and worse with more people added.