PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Monk Master of Many Styles HELP!

Nyan
2016-02-24, 08:55 PM
Okay so im joining a game soon and im planning on playing a monk and I really like the idea of playing a master of many styles. However the archetype is so complicated I can barely understand anything. I've noticed its gone so far as to people making seperate guides in order to make sense of it but sadly I dont find exactly what I need in this case or at least I dont understand it.

So first of all im going to be playing unarmed, focusing on dex and wis and finaly I want to use a combination of Snake/Crane/Panther style to make a master of counter hits so to speak.

Note to keep in mind: I get weapon finesse for free. And im not playing Human.

Now as for the archetypes I planed on using im sure im going for queigong and Master of many styles. But I also considered playing monk of the lotus. Cause I see him as a generaly peacefull character that preferably does not strike first, hence using his counter hit focused style. So first of all. Is the lotus archetype a good idea or will it somehow ruin the rest? pros, cons that sort of thing.

Now the big questions. What feats would I take and in what order? And which of the styles to I take first? I've noticed people take these three styles in different order. But somehow uses all three in the end and I'm not really sure how this works. So how should I do this?

Psyren
2016-02-25, 01:15 PM
These three combine just fine, and I love your concept - I may steal it :smallsmile:
After combining the MoMF and Lotus, here's what you'll have left to trade out for Qinggong powers:

Slow Fall (4th or lower)
High Jump (4th or lower)
Wholeness of Body (6th or lower)
Diamond Body (10th or lower)
Diamond Soul (12th or lower)
Timeless Body (16th or lower)
Empty Body (18th or lower)

The other monk abilities traded by the archetypes cannot be traded a second time by Qinggong.

As far as which style to get first, since you're a MoMF you can nab any of the three at 1st level. Personally I'd start with Snake Style - not many classes get a use for their immediate action at 1st level, and on top of that, the Sense Motive bonus it gives you works in social situations too. I personally feel this is a strong out-of-combat role for the monk - listening to all the NPCs and sussing out the liars to aid the (typically low-Wis) party face.

Nyan
2016-02-25, 03:56 PM
These three combine just fine, and I love your concept - I may steal it :smallsmile:
After combining the MoMF and Lotus, here's what you'll have left to trade out for Qinggong powers:

Slow Fall (4th or lower)
High Jump (4th or lower)
Wholeness of Body (6th or lower)
Diamond Body (10th or lower)
Diamond Soul (12th or lower)
Timeless Body (16th or lower)
Empty Body (18th or lower)

The other monk abilities traded by the archetypes cannot be traded a second time by Qinggong.

As far as which style to get first, since you're a MoMF you can nab any of the three at 1st level. Personally I'd start with Snake Style - not many classes get a use for their immediate action at 1st level, and on top of that, the Sense Motive bonus it gives you works in social situations too. I personally feel this is a strong out-of-combat role for the monk - listening to all the NPCs and sussing out the liars to aid the (typically low-Wis) party face.

Im really glad you enjoyed the concept! And the choise of style in the begining makes sense.

Tho okay. Im going to try to make a feat progression thing for levels 1-5 and then i'd like to know if it actually works or any improvments I could make.

1: Combat Reflexes, Snake style, Weapon finesse (bonus)
2: Crane style
3: Panther Style
5: ????

Okay considering this there are some issues im having. First of all. People argue that this is not really a good idea focusing on getting extra attacks through AoO cause you'd be dead provoking so many of them. Also it does not seem like ill be doing much damage at all with this. Should I use a weapon perhaps? Is that even possible using these styles?

This build does not seem to shine untill level 8 when im able to use all three styles at the same time but I'm not so sure this game will go that far, if it will even start at all. But even with all 3 styles active will I simply take to many attacks to the face to even be able to dish out any damage at all? I mean as a concept I love this character but the more I look in to the mechanics the less likley it seems that it would work as I intend.