PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building a Buffbot Cleric

johnbragg
2016-02-24, 09:22 PM
CMagnum has a Cleric player who loves to cast Sanctuary at the beginning of every fight, and get ready to cast healing spells.

I figure the Sanctuary part of that is something to build around. No attack spells, no melee self-buffing because that would break the Sanctuary spell.

What spells should we recommend? Cleric is 5th or 6th level. There is a bard in the party, so bless is not very useful.
The Summon Monster line works with Sanctuary, but feels like cheating. We're casting spells on our friends to attack you, not summoning friends to attack you!

1st Level
Protection from Evil/Chaos/etc is always a good pick.
Magic Weapon
Blessed Aim (+2 morale to ranged attacks, overlaps the bardsong but +2 is better than +1)
REsurgence

2nd level
Stat boosters
Resist Energy (useful against Dragons in RHOD)
Elation (+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity bonus) Also a morale bonus, but a bonus to STR and DEX. So I think it stacks with the bard's Inspire Courage +1.

3rd level
MAss Resist Energy
Mass Aid
Mass Lesser Vigor
Magic Vestment
Healing Sphere (Book of Erotic Fantasy, but not creepy) 2d8 + CL healing, works like Flaming Sphere. That's what I understand, anyway.

Command(Halt), Silence and Dispel MAgic are your basic counter-caster package. (Is there a way to pick up Daze as an orizon? It's your whole action to make the caster roll a Will save, but at least you're not using up a 1st level spell.)

What else is out there in splatland?

muskasurfer
2016-02-25, 12:00 PM
What else is out there in splatland?

Below are a few of the spells that I use on my Cleric.

1st Level:
Sign

2nd Level:
Benediction
Divine Insight

3rd Level:
Mass Conviction

sleepyphoenixx
2016-02-25, 02:50 PM
There isn't really much point. Most of the good cleric buffs are long duration.
Also consider that casting Sanctuary already eats up your first round. By the time you get to cast your first buff combat is already half over unless your other party members are similarly passive (in which case you blow a lot of time and resources on fights you could have ended in the first or second round - and likely die sooner than later).

D&D heavily favors offense. That's a fact, not simply an opinion. Especially at higher levels a single failed save or unlucky crit can mean your death.
That makes acting first and using these actions to prevent the enemy from using his actions to attack you the only really viable survival strategy.