PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Heavy Metal Bard Class Creation Help 3.5e

Wabbajackbodom
2016-02-24, 09:54 PM
So I came up with this idea to do a D&D (3.5e) campaign revolving around Heavy Metal. The idea is that this continent is split into 10 different city states run by different subgenres of Metal. Each of these city states are inhabited by Metal Bards that are based on their individual subgenre. I've been working on creating classes for each of these types of bards.
I want each of these bards to really show their influence by their genre. Like Black Metal Bards should either be able to be Satan-driven Cultists or badass unholy Necromancers. My issue is that I am uncertain how to keep them bardic while throwing in these other feats and qualities. Also how to add in songtitles into the spell list or however it's supposed to work. I'm just uncertain. I've been stuck on this for months and it's the only thing hanging up my campaign from working. Ideas guys? I get the feeling I'm not wording this quite right but this is the first time I've tried to DM or create my own class.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-25, 12:04 AM
Obligatory link to Sooth's home-brew Disciple of Metal (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471374-Homebrew-Disciple-of-Metal-PrC-(Sooth)) Bard PrC. Overpowered, but full of awesome ideas.

Wabbajackbodom
2016-02-25, 12:15 AM
That looks rather badass. Just not certain how much of variety I'll be able to give to specific genres with it. Meaning the whole idea of giving them two different lines to go down ie the Black Metalist's Necromancy or Occultism.

gorfnab
2016-02-25, 02:21 AM
There are a few builds that can turn Bards into Necromancers or Necromancers into Bards.

Bard 7/ Dirgesinger 2/ Pale Master 1/ Sublime Chord 1/ Pale Master 9 - Requires the feats Arcane Disciple: Necromancer Domain (ECS) and Requiem (LM)

Bard 8/ Pale Master 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Pale Master 8
Requires the feats: Arcane Disciple: Necromancer Domain (ECS) and Requiem (LM)

Dread Necromancer 8/ Heartfire Fanner (Drg #314) 1/ Vitruoso 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 - Requires the feats Apprentice: Entertainer (DMG II) and Requiem

Dread Necromancer 9/ Prestige Bard 1/ Virtuoso 10 - Requires the feats Apprentice: Entertainer, Arcane Disciple: Illusion Domain, and Requiem

Another Bard option that may fit with another heavy metal music type is the Harbringer Bard variant from Dragon Magazine #337. It focuses on using bardic music that produces fear effects.

Heliomance
2016-02-25, 02:43 AM
Obligatory link to Sooth's home-brew Disciple of Metal (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471374-Homebrew-Disciple-of-Metal-PrC-(Sooth)) Bard PrC. Overpowered, but full of awesome ideas.

Oh wow, I remember that class! I've played one of those, it was good fun. I don't remember it being particularly OP though. It goes through bardic music uses at a fairly brutal rate.

ComaVision
2016-02-25, 01:03 PM
All you have to do to black metal up the spells is put them in google translate to Latin. Freedom of Movement becomes ex libertate motus. I'd listen to that album.

EDIT: Oh, if you're doing Power Metal it has to be a DFI Bard going into Swiftblade.