PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Caster Conundrum

Sarakos
2016-02-25, 01:12 AM
Hi all,

My group is getting set for a new game soon and I am having trouble settling on a class. The other two players have already locked in as a self-buff Warpriest and a Paladin dipping a level in Bloodrager. An Arcane caster seemed like the perfect fit to round out the group but I'm not sure which one to go with.

We are starting at level 3 so something effective at low-mid level would be ideal. All Paizo and DSP is allowed. I was toying with Spiritualist, Psion, or an Arcanist/Wizard . I typically play martial characters so I'm not too familiar with the pros and cons of one vs the other. Any suggestions are welcome including other possible classes.

Edit: forgot to mention that Pathfinder is the system we are using.

Khedrac
2016-02-25, 04:09 AM
I would suggest a Beguiler.
You don't have to worry about spell selection - you spontaneously cast from the class' full list (which is a lot better that one would expect).
You get good skill points (6) and are an Int based caster - plus you get most rogue skills as class skills.

This way you get decent casting, and can be a stealth merchant for when you just want to hide and watch the other 2 hulk out.

If you really want to cheese it go Rainbow Servant (it's hard but doable) and argue with your DM that on the "Text trumps table" rule the class gives full casting not half casting.
That way when you get cleric spell access you suddenly can spontaneously cast any cleric spell in the game...
(Note: apparently the foreign language translations of Complete Arcane altered the test to match the table as Half casting so this one there is a good "latest source" argument to say the table is right.)

nedz
2016-02-25, 08:32 AM
Beguiler is very good, but it's 3.5 and it seriously doesn't do combat - don't be fooled by the feint related class features, those are just fluff.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-25, 11:36 AM
Beguiler is very good, but it's 3.5 and it seriously doesn't do combat - don't be fooled by the feint related class features, those are just fluff.
Doesn't do physical combat; magic works just fine.

Ideas for Pathfinder:

Skald offers a great mix of martial ability, party support and utility magic. I'd recommend it over the Pathfinder Bard any day.
Alchemist or Investigator would also be solid picks. Extracts (with the Infusion discovery) are solid and fun. Better yet, both classes can fill the missing skillmonkey role with aplomb-- Alchemists can take the Vivisectionist archetype and Trap Finder trait and literally steal all of the Rogue's trademark abilities, while Investigators are hands-down the best skill-using class in either Pathfinder or 3.5.
Arcanist might be a little easier to use than Wizard, since you don't have to worry about prepared spells in quite the same way.

nedz
2016-02-25, 12:58 PM
Doesn't do physical combat; magic works just fine.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Sarakos
2016-02-25, 01:39 PM
I think the Skald has some issue with bonus stacking on our raging Paladin but Alchemist seems a very good fit for the role. I had wanted to try one since APG came out but never found the right time. I am still kind of curious to try an Arcanist if only to see some of the world breaking powers 9th level casters are rumored to have. Although that is probably not till very high levels.

Beguiler is a really entertaining looking class. Not allowed for this current game but definitely an incentive to get the group to run a 3.5 nostalgia game. It seems right up my alley as a flexible class that can do a bit of everything. not sure how well I'd restrain myself from attempting to beat something in melee with it and leave the party short a member :smalltongue:

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-25, 01:57 PM
I think the Skald has some issue with bonus stacking on our raging Paladin
Ish? It basically lets them use their own numerical Rage bonuses without consuming rounds of Rage. They can't use their Rage Powers, but they do gain the ones you grant.

Sahleb
2016-02-25, 02:22 PM
Bard is doable.

Wizard, however, is pretty good. I'd play it over an arcanist.

In DSP, the Golden Lion discipline is fantastic. I'd shoot for a warlord using that, and Silver Crane.

Sarakos
2016-02-25, 02:29 PM
Ish? It basically lets them use their own numerical Rage bonuses without consuming rounds of Rage. They can't use their Rage Powers, but they do gain the ones you grant.

Wait.. Huh you're right. I always assumed it was the same +2 bonus for everyone including the barb. Thats actually really nifty and handy.

Edit: I think Im going to go with Skald. After reading through it seems perfect. Thanks for all your help!