PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform Interesting (treasure) Chests

Togath
2016-02-25, 03:30 PM
So after watching a few youtube videos where the subject of chest opening animations came up, I got kind of curious if it seems like as fascinating a topic to others as it does to me, like, how dramatically they vary from game to game, as well as ones you particularly enjoy.
So... what are some you guys find interesting/cool?

Things like how Sora(kingdom hearts) taps gently with the keyblade, or how Edward Kenway(assassin's creed: black flag) sharply kicks at his.

A few others that come to mind are Kratos'(god of war) "tear the super heavy lid off" method, or how the protagonist of dragon quest 8 leans down to use a key.

Corlindale
2016-02-25, 04:07 PM
The 3D Zelda games really nail this. They do everything to make it awesome: The build-up music, the camera panning around Link while he slowly lifts the lid, the intriguing light shining from the treasure and the final climax with Link holding up his newfound item triumphantly.

I also like the Dark Souls games. There's a nice delay when lifting the lid, which makes the chest seem very heavy and adds to the immersion in the game world. There's also the ever-present terror of potentially facing the dreaded set of teeth that signify a Mimic, adding some extra excitement to the situation (of course you can check the chest by attacking first, but I often forget that).

Both series of games also benefit from chests being - relatively - rare and usually filled with something you actually want. Chests in the Diablo games can be a bit boring, because they are common and it's very much RNG whether they have anything good.