PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Quicken SLA and null-level Spell Likes

Sayt
2016-02-25, 05:06 PM
So, small rules conumdrum I've come across.

I've been fishing around at building a Blasty Sorcerer for 3.Pathfinder ( Changeling, grab the ash hag racial trait for Moar Fiah, go Orc Bloodline and grab the Half-Orc FCB, pew-zotlasers, etc.)

However, the Orc Bloodline has an interesting ability, touch of Rage, which gives a morale bonus equal to 1/2 Sorc level to hit and damage. it struck me that this could be quite handy for, example, Scorching Ray. Problem is that it's a standard action and lasts only one round.

However, it is a spell-like ability, meaning that it can, nominally, be quickened with the Quicken SLA monster feat.

Only it doesn't have a level. It's not 0th level, it has no stated equivalent spell level (That I can find). Spell level is relevant because it determines the required CL to take the feat.

Are there rules for a "Default, counts as" level for SLAs, or is it in a state of limbo solvable only via DM fiat?

nedz
2016-02-25, 05:48 PM
If the rules are silent you have to talk to your DM.

Sayt
2016-02-25, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I get that, I'm just wondering if there is a rule here that applies that I haven't been able to find.

icefractal
2016-02-25, 06:49 PM
IIRC, 3.x had a guideline that if unknown, the spell level could be based on half the class level you got it at (rounded up). So if it's something you get a 1st level, that would be a 1st-level equivalent. If you got it at 10th level, it would be a 5th-level equivalent.

However, IDK if that rule exists in Pathfinder, or if it was ever a hard rule and not just a guideline.

Psyren
2016-02-25, 07:42 PM
FAQ'd! (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9o6x)

Cleric domains, sorcerer bloodlines, wizard schools, and certain other class features give spell-like abilities that aren't based on spells. What's the effective spell level for these abilities?

The effective spell level for these spell-like abilities is equal to the highest-level spell that a character of that class could normally cast at the level the ability is gained.

For example, a 1st-level elemental bloodline sorcerer has elemental ray as a spell-like ability. Because a sorcerer 1's highest-level spell available is 1st, that spell-like ability counts as a 1st-level spell. A 9th-level elemental bloodline sorcerer has elemental blast as a spell-like ability. Because a sorcerer 9's highest-level spell available is 4th, that spell-like ability counts as a 4th-level spell.

You get Touch of Rage at level 1 - thus your highest level of available spells is 1, and so is the spell level of this ability.

Sayt
2016-02-26, 12:23 AM
FAQ'd! (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9o6x)

You get Touch of Rage at level 1 - thus your highest level of available spells is 1, and so is the spell level of this ability.

Aha! Many thanks!