PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making an inverse Sun Blade

FartHeartMaGart
2016-02-25, 05:47 PM
Making an inverse sun blade, dealing necrotic damage, stealing light instead of making it, etc

Ideas on balancing so its not overkill hypersneak if something doesnt happen to have dark sight or true seeing

Note: player has boots of elvenkind so tremor sense is not in the equation

HoarsHalberd
2016-02-25, 05:55 PM
Making an inverse sun blade, dealing necrotic damage, stealing light instead of making it, etc

Ideas on balancing so its not overkill hypersneak if something doesnt happen to have dark sight or true seeing

Note: player has boots of elvenkind so tremor sense is not in the equation

Causes dim light within 15ft if in bright light, darkness in 15ft if in dim light. Means you need a feat before you can even use it to attempt to sneak in a lit room.

Aurthur
2016-02-25, 05:59 PM
I did something similar in my campaign by making the below magic weapon. Rewarded around level 6. Was well received.

Shadowdrink, Magical rapier made of an unknown shadowy metal.
Damage: 1d8 (finesse, piercing)
+1 damage
+1 to hit
Special: Can cast Darkness once per day (refreshes at dawn) and extinguish regular light sources (non-magical, physical) as a free action (at will)
Special: On a critical hit, does an additional 1d10 necrotic damage to target. Wielder receives temporary hit points for the damage inflicted in this way.
Special: Hilt is permanently solid, however the blade can be summoned with a free action command word and banished in a similar fashion. To summon the blade in full sunlight or brightly lit conditions requires a full action.

FartHeartMaGart
2016-02-25, 06:00 PM
Causes dim light within 15ft if in bright light, darkness in 15ft if in dim light. Means you need a feat before you can even use it to attempt to sneak in a lit room.

I was thinking the same, but add dim lighting for 15 ft beyond that to make it equivalent, and you can mostly neglect that dim lighting, any light source will undo the effect.
I think maybe because the sun blade also has the Sunlight effect on it, this sword should ignore sunlight for the effects of lighting? call it an Eclipse Sword

FartHeartMaGart
2016-02-25, 06:05 PM
I did something similar in my campaign by making the below magic weapon. Rewarded around level 6. Was well received.

+1 damage
+1 to hit
Special: Can cast Darkness once per day (refreshes at dawn) and extinguish regular light sources (non-magical, physical) as a free action (at will)
Special: On a critical hit, does an additional 1d10 necrotic damage to target. Wielder receives temporary hit points for the damage inflicted in this way.
Special: Hilt is permanently solid, however the blade can be summoned with a free action command word and banished in a similar fashion. To summon the blade in full sunlight or brightly lit conditions requires a full action.

That would be pretty neat, I like the idea of extinguishing light
lets say if youre in the proposed 15 ft. darkness it casts, take an action to extinguish the light source
gotta cost somethin if you want to keep that advantage right?

*edit for grammar*

JackPhoenix
2016-02-25, 07:43 PM

+1 damage
+1 to hit

One small note: I think that refreshing the daily use with nightfall or midnight would be more flavorful then dawn.

EvanescentHero
2016-02-25, 08:20 PM
One small note: I think that refreshing the daily use with nightfall or midnight would be more flavorful then dawn.

Damn it, that's exactly what I was going to say!

Other than that though, I like that weapon. Seems pretty well balanced!