PDA

View Full Version : Unique Spell-likes

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-25, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know where to find a list of spell-like abilities that do not directly mimic a spell of the same name?

Troacctid
2016-02-25, 08:01 PM
I can't imagine such a list existing, considering the enormous volume of (Sp) abilities out there. Is there a reason you want this?

Fizban
2016-02-26, 08:30 AM
On the contrary, the number of Sp abilities that don't mimic specific spells should be quite small, since most of them are written by people that understand that "spell-like" means "spell-like" and cite a spell rather than writing a new ability, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a list. Can't say I've ever heard of one though.

I would imagine it's for some sort of Spellthief or "blue mage" character capable of stealing/copying/learning spell-like abilities, looking for powers you can't normally get with spells.

Jormengand
2016-02-26, 08:37 AM
Most of them are invocations or utterances, at a guess.

EDIT: Especially if you really mean that do not mimic a spell of the same name, in which case the list should include all invocations and utterances (unless there are some utterances that really do do that, which I can't think of but I'm not a warlock person).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-26, 08:46 AM
Can we include psi-likes, as well? I know at least one PrC has them, aka, the metamind.

Nettlekid
2016-02-26, 10:06 AM
I have one single example I can suggest, if I understand the question correctly. The Ruathar's first level ability which allows you to speak the Elven word of friendship is listed as an Sp ability, and it encourages (but doesn't magically compel) Elves to be friendly to the speaker. It's specifically stated to be a sonic, language-dependent effect and is equivalent to a 1st-level spell. But it does not imitate any existing spell, it's not a reskinned Charm or anything like that. It's an SLA that does not have an existing spell counterpart. Is that in the vein of what you're looking for?

Psyren
2016-02-26, 10:30 AM
Pathfinder has a ton of these as well - bloodline powers, school powers, domain powers, ki powers etc.

Âmesang
2016-02-26, 10:45 AM
From the SRD these should count, right?

Bard

Fascinate
Song of Freedom

Paladin

Special Mount

Arcane Archer

Imbue Arrow
Seeker Arrow
Phase Arrow
Hail of Arrows
Arrow of Death

Psion

Sight Link
Channel Power

Agent Retriever

Force Sphere

Divine Emissary

Divine Inspiration

High Proselytizer

Proselytize

Kelb_Panthera
2016-02-26, 02:43 PM
I can't imagine such a list existing, considering the enormous volume of (Sp) abilities out there. Is there a reason you want this?

Idle curiosity to be completely honest. I know there are a number of such effects but I can't recall having ever seen them compiled.

From the SRD these should count, right?

Bard

Fascinate
Song of Freedom

Paladin

Special Mount

Arcane Archer

Imbue Arrow
Seeker Arrow
Phase Arrow
Hail of Arrows
Arrow of Death

Psion

Sight Link
Channel Power

Agent Retriever

Force Sphere

Divine Emissary

Divine Inspiration

High Proselytizer

Proselytize

Yeah, like these. Maybe not so much song of freedom, that's just break enchantment by another name.

Psi-likes and invocations aren't really what I had in mind though.

Troacctid
2016-02-26, 07:30 PM
On the contrary, the number of Sp abilities that don't mimic specific spells should be quite small, since most of them are written by people that understand that "spell-like" means "spell-like" and cite a spell rather than writing a new ability, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a list. Can't say I've ever heard of one though.

There are a ton of classes that have abilities marked as (Sp) without duplicating an existing spell. It's extremely common. And don't forget all the monsters with non-spell (Sp) abilities, which are out there too, and you'd have to dig through a lot of Monster Manuals to find them all. It would be an enormous undertaking to compile everything, and there wouldn't be any real point to doing so.

Fizban
2016-02-27, 03:34 AM
I was actually not considering classes at all, just monsters. If you've got a specific goal it's really not hard to go through a book and get the info, a bit time consuming but not some herculean task. And I already gave a reason for doing so: there's at least one published class and probably more I'm not remembering that can steal/borrow SLAs who might like to know. It could also be used for finding weird ways to power an Energy Transformation field, or who knows what.

MisterKaws
2016-02-27, 09:12 AM
there's at least one published class and probably more I'm not remembering that can steal/borrow SLAs who might like to know.

There's two, I don't remember where the hell is the other one, but it's a rogueish Prc, and explicitly stacks with spellthief.

Nettlekid
2016-02-27, 09:15 AM
I was actually not considering classes at all, just monsters. If you've got a specific goal it's really not hard to go through a book and get the info, a bit time consuming but not some herculean task. And I already gave a reason for doing so: there's at least one published class and probably more I'm not remembering that can steal/borrow SLAs who might like to know. It could also be used for finding weird ways to power an Energy Transformation field, or who knows what.

Both the Spellthief and the Hellbreaker have Steal SLA. And I agree, when I first noticed the aforementioned Ruathar's Word of Friendship I thought it would be a pretty weird way of powering an Energy Transformation Field. "Friendfriendfriendfriendfriendfriendfriend" *Greater Teleport*

EDIT: Ninja'd partially, but Hellbreaker (Fiendish Codex II) doesn't actually stack with Spellthief, it says that if you have the ability to steal an SLA from the Spellthief class then you can steal two different SLAs as governed by the respective classes' rules.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-02-27, 09:30 AM
Illithid savant can also steal Spell-Like Abilities by eating the brains of its victims, and if the savant in question already has access to any spell he wants, he may want to look into additional abilities that don't emulate spells as a result.

MisterKaws
2016-02-27, 10:20 AM
Hellbreaker (Fiendish Codex II) doesn't actually stack with Spellthief, it says that if you have the ability to steal an SLA from the Spellthief class then you can steal two different SLAs as governed by the respective classes' rules.

Oh, guess my memory isn't that good(as expected, since I didn't even remember the Hellbreaker's name).

Cerefel
2016-02-27, 11:56 AM
Ur-Priests can steal SLAs as well, although it takes 10 levels of the class.