PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Prismatic Gauntlet [3.5 Magic Item]

gooddragon1
2016-02-25, 10:56 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

nikkoli
2016-02-26, 08:58 AM
Is it a +1 gauntlet or a suit of +1 full plate with a gauntlet that has all this prismatic wigiboo?

gooddragon1
2016-02-26, 12:50 PM
Is it a +1 gauntlet or a suit of +1 full plate with a gauntlet that has all this prismatic wigiboo?

+1 gauntlet.

PrismCat21
2016-02-26, 06:49 PM
I like it. :smallsmile:
Not overpowered, and beneficial to most characters .

gooddragon1
2016-02-26, 11:01 PM
I like it. :smallsmile:
Not overpowered, and beneficial to most characters .

How do you feel about the possibility of simplifying the saves to fort, ref, and will though?

nonsi
2016-02-27, 12:19 AM
[B]
I'm thinking of making topaz = +2 on fortitude saves, emerald = +2 on reflex saves, and sapphire = +2 on will saves for simplicity.

Go for it. Simplicity is good and those bonuses are not overwhelming.

[EDIT]: The price seems too low to me. While prismatic spray is a gambit, you offer an item with 7 separate powers, each of which is usable 1/day (which allows you to pick and choose the best effect according to your current target) and carries benefits until used.

gooddragon1
2016-02-27, 04:34 AM
Go for it. Simplicity is good and those bonuses are not overwhelming.

[EDIT]: The price seems too low to me. While prismatic spray is a gambit, you offer an item with 7 separate powers, each of which is usable 1/day (which allows you to pick and choose the best effect according to your current target) and carries benefits until used.

The catch is that you have to succeed on a ranged touch attack in addition to allowing a saving throw. That and the SoD effects still allow spell resistance. Though I am considering 50 to 60k even with those considerations.

Debihuman
2016-02-27, 05:41 AM
FYI, it should be evocation not universal since you based it on prismatic sphere.

gooddragon1
2016-02-27, 05:55 AM
FYI, it should be evocation not universal since you based it on prismatic sphere.

Well, I'm kinda hung up on that. Prismatic spray is evocation, but this provides defensive bonuses too. I'm just not sure.

Edit: I know I'm breaking an unspoken rule by disclosing this, but part of the inspiration for this item is humor.

Debihuman
2016-02-27, 04:39 PM
Since the only spell indicated is prismatic spray, that's the aura you would use. It just makes sense construction-wise. Also, I am too dense to get the joke so clearly there is a story behind this gauntlet. Would you mind elaborating?

BTW, gauntlets aren't usually described as platemail. Platemail describes the armor. Nitpicky I know, but this is because boots and gauntlets can be swapped out separately from the armor even if the armor includes the gauntlets. Hence the confusion over whether these were platemail armor or gauntlets that occurred earlier. See for example locked gauntlet.

Debby

gooddragon1
2016-02-27, 07:16 PM
Since the only spell indicated is prismatic spray, that's the aura you would use. It just makes sense construction-wise. Also, I am too dense to get the joke so clearly there is a story behind this gauntlet. Would you mind elaborating?

BTW, gauntlets aren't usually described as platemail. Platemail describes the armor. Nitpicky I know, but this is because boots and gauntlets can be swapped out separately from the armor even if the armor includes the gauntlets. Hence the confusion over whether these were platemail armor or gauntlets that occurred earlier. See for example locked gauntlet.

Debby

Sounds convincing enough to me.

Also, explanation: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity_Gauntlet

Debihuman
2016-02-28, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the link. Interesting. BTW, all the save DCs would be 20. 10 + 7 spell level + minimum charisma to cast spell is 17 which has has a modifier bonus +3 = 20. Nifty item. I may stick this in a dragon's hoard at some time. To match the picture of the gauntlet, I'd just move the indigo tourmaline to the palm.

gooddragon1
2016-02-28, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the link. Interesting. BTW, all the save DCs would be 20. 10 + 7 spell level + minimum charisma to cast spell is 17 which has has a modifier bonus +3 = 20. Nifty item. I may stick this in a dragon's hoard at some time. To match the picture of the gauntlet, I'd just move the indigo tourmaline to the palm.

For some reason I was thinking 10+1/2 hd+int... weird. As for the gem on the palm, I felt like it would make it awkward to hold stuff :/

sengmeng
2016-03-01, 08:47 PM
Infinity gauntlet?

gooddragon1
2016-03-02, 03:45 AM
Infinity gauntlet?

Plus 1 stone for compatibility with prismatic spray effects. Originally I just thought it would be funny, but then I figured I'd just make it a subtle joke that's still useful.

Fizban
2016-03-16, 09:37 AM
Prismatic Eye, Prismatic Aura, and Prismatic Bow all give precedence for a prismatic thing doling out it's rainbow one color at a time, in the same level range as the basic Spray without extra cost. 1/day is 36,400 for 7th or 48,000 for 8th. The other bonuses are worth a total in the same range, meriting some small markup for multiple functions but not very much since you lose them as you go, the only standout being +2 luck on non-magical attacks. The whole item is a gimmick based on an offensive ability with a set save DC, so should get the same price slashing treatment doled out in the MiC to make those worth keeping.

No more than 50k, 40k would be better. I'd also change the amethyst ability to something that matches the rest like +2 deflection vs melee attacks, though you might decide that makes it a bit too pedestrian.