PDA

View Full Version : Off Armageddon Reef

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-18, 09:11 AM
I just read this book, and Wow. It is awesome.

On the other hand, I am extremely tempted to curse David Weber for starting yet another excellent, fun, series of novels, thus further delaying future installments for all of them. :smallsigh:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-20, 01:12 PM
*bumping* Come on, I know I'm not the only person to have read this book...

BlackStaticWolf
2007-06-20, 01:22 PM
Indeed you are not. I enjoyed it quite a bit as well.

Sundog
2007-06-21, 10:01 AM
Loved this one. I just hope he gets around to the next in the series PDQ.

Foeofthelance
2007-06-22, 10:08 PM
This is the reason I hate David Weber.

The man writes as fast I read!

Off Armageddeon Reef has a sequel, already in the works. he's posted snippets on the bar at least once.

I'm waiting for the third book in the Hell's series (Hell Hath No Fury, Hell's Gate)

I would like to see another book for In Fury Born.

Word has it he's going to rewrite Off Basilisk Station to remove any mention of the Grav Lance...

And we're still waiting for the outline to the fifth Prince Roger book! We're getting impatient, and John has threatened to cut off any one who asks about it's due date.

Alright, Barflies sound off!

Daraken
2007-06-22, 10:21 PM
I read the description for the book, and it seems a tad too similar to the plot in Weber's earlier book, Heirs of Empire. However, I just borrowed a copy from the library, so we'll see...

Foeofthelance
2007-06-22, 10:57 PM
Did you read Mutineer's Moon and The Armageddon Inheritance before Heirs to the Empire? There are enough differences between the trilogy and Off Armageddon Reef to make it interesting, especially since OAR has more politics behind it. HttE was more a smash and grab piece.

Daraken
2007-06-23, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I have the whole trilogy. But from the description of OAR, it just sounds really, really similar to Heirs of Empire. Mankind is practically destroyed, and the survivors of the last human colony create a religion that bans technology. Again, I'll see when I get around to reading it.

On a side note, is it me, or does Weber really enjoy writing the "Group from advanced civilization helps primitives develop gunpowder warfare and thus gets back home" story? (Empire of Man series, Heirs of Empire and now OAR)

Foeofthelance
2007-06-23, 12:10 AM
Quite possibly, but then there are several key bits to any David Weber novel.

1)The lead is normally female, from a long military background. If not, she's the second most important character.

2) Politicians are always more deadly then the bad guys.

3) Breaking the rules is always a good thing.

4) Disicipline will clean up just about anything.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 01:21 PM
2) Politicians are always more deadly then the bad guys.

No, I think it's more that the people Weber writes as the real bad guys are politicians. I mean, pretty much every other character is sympathetic to one degree or another, but the ones you really, really despise are always politicians.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-06-24, 01:56 PM
Off Armageddon Reef was actually the first David Weber novel I read, and I liked it well enough that I finally hunted down the Honor Harrington series (which was a good idea, since I was in the mood for pulp-action scifi and some Horatio Hornblower/Jack Aubrey style naval adventurism at the time). It was a fun series, though I think I would like to find out more about the alien enemies - I really like them conceptually, they almost sound post-sentient, which is an interesting idea that I think does not get explored often enough.

Word has it he's going to rewrite On Basilisk Station to remove any mention of the Grav Lance...
Where'd you hear that? I know there have been some retcons regarding the size of ships and some of the technological details, but I hadn't heard anything about a grav lance write-out. Not to mention that doing so would really skew the whole story around - the lance is really a MacGuffin to make the battle between the Fearless and the Sirius work out a certain way and to show Honor's tactical brilliance. Basically, it explains why Fearless is even worse off in the encounter than she should be, and gives an example of Honor turning a disadvantage into an advantage (which is a classic move of hers throughout the series).

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 02:54 PM
I read the description for the book, and it seems a tad too similar to the plot in Weber's earlier book, Heirs of Empire. However, I just borrowed a copy from the library, so we'll see...

That was my thought too, but when I finally did pick it up and read it, I really liked it. It is, as others have said, different enough to be interesting.

Foeofthelance
2007-06-24, 03:42 PM
Where'd you hear that? I know there have been some retcons regarding the size of ships and some of the technological details, but I hadn't heard anything about a grav lance write-out.

It's a joke from the Baen forums. David Weber is apparently very anti-grav lance, and people keep asking for it to be re-used in another story. David, of course, is totally against the idea, and one of the posters "revealed" that David was going to "pull a Lucas" and write it out of existance.

Daraken
2007-06-24, 10:12 PM
Well, I just finished OAR.

And damn, it was a nice read. I really have to get a copy of my own now.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-24, 11:26 PM
Told ya! :smallwink: minimum