PDA

View Full Version : online D&D

joot
2016-02-26, 08:17 AM
so, i have started a D&D group, but we're spread all over my ****ry. So we have decidet to play online.

is there any problems i should know about before i run into them, and haow do i overcome these?

Toilet Cobra
2016-02-26, 08:26 AM
My experience was with Roll20. There are two types of problems:

Hardware/Software Problems
- Different devices can provide huge variations in audio quality, and not everybody can afford to go get a new microphone
- Bandwidth issues
- It can be a huge amount of work to create maps, even with some really great tools to do so. Also had issues with maps being too large and not loading properly, even when it seemed like I was making very modest maps. Gotta be careful with those jpegs.

People Problems
- When it's not your turn, HUGE temptation to wander off, browse Youtube, whatever. Really difficult to keep focus for certain people
- Some people breathe into the microphone and it drives me insane
- Whatever platform you're using, there will be a learning curve. For Roll20 most of the learning was for the DM, but everybody is gonna have to take time to work out how to use the interface

That's just off the top of my head. There were a lot of little annoyances, but I liked it better than not playing at all.

Hal0Badger
2016-02-26, 12:39 PM
Eventhough I like roll20 quite much and find it a massive boast to my experience, I totally agree with points made above.

However, the pros totally outweights the cons imo: Song support, token support, map and grid support, a platform for multiple game systems and a community you can find any type of game for 3.5, from e6 to high optimization.

torrasque666
2016-02-26, 12:46 PM
so, i have started a D&D group, but we're spread all over my ****ry. So we have decidet to play online.

is there any problems i should know about before i run into them, and haow do i overcome these?

I haven't encountered problems with it too much that can't be traced back to simple connection issues or the occasional hardware (though my group uses skype for comms). The only annoying thing I've encountered is having to make multple macros form my Psionics, one for each energy type.

Hiro Quester
2016-02-26, 11:07 PM
Our group uses Roll20 in a face to face group, because we are all middle-aged players with lives. So often one or more party members are traveling and join in on-line. So with laptops around the table we play looking at screens.

We also use The Only Sheet (http://theonlysheet.com/homepage/) for character sheets, which also uses a laptop to automate updating of buffs, spells, conditions etc. and their effects. So adding Roll20 for maps isn't a big deal, since we use laptops anyway. It also helps for quick rule and spell lookup on D20SRD.

The DM loves the way Roll20 handles maps, and the ability to gradually reveal things, control what each player sees (I have dark vision, but he doesn't).

I very much appreciate the macros, too. I'm playing a druid/monk who wild shapes a lot. So with unarmed strikes plus natural weapons attacks, I'm often making seven attack/damage rolls per round. being able to create macro to run all those die rolls and just read off the results speeds up gameplay a lot.

We have occasionally had audio problems (one person can't hear anything, or we can't hear them). But usually logging out then back in again, or remembering to allow Roll20 to share your microphone, solves those.

Overall, given your geographic distribution, it's better than not playing at all. And there are some parts of the experience that might even be an improvement over face to face playing.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-02-27, 11:02 AM
People Problems
- When it's not your turn, HUGE temptation to wander off, browse Youtube, whatever. Really difficult to keep focus for certain people
- Some people breathe into the microphone and it drives me insane

These two are important to consider. While I can keep focus easily even with my laptop or tablet out in real person DnD, I have tremendous issues when I am using Skype because I don't have direct human interaction to hold my focus.

And yes, people being obnoxious with their microphone (typing on a loud keyboard, breathing heavily) can be disruptive. I found the best solution to that is to politely call attention to it.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-27, 11:09 AM
I've found Google Hangouts to be more reliable than Skype or the roll20 chat client.

Albions_Angel
2016-02-27, 12:03 PM
An alternative, good sir.

Tabletop Simulator and Teamspeak. Teamspeak is reliable, while TTS has a ton of 3rd party support for D&D, from minis to maps, dice to hidden areas for the DMs stuff.

You can design your dungeons in paint and just import them as needed with save files. Very easy to do.

Id look into it. Its fun, and there is way less temptation to wander off because, oh look, its just like a real table!

Troacctid
2016-02-27, 06:18 PM
As much as I like the sound of Tabletop Simulator, isn't it, like, $20? Per person? Roll20 has the big advantage of being free.

Shnigda
2016-02-27, 06:37 PM
And yes, people being obnoxious with their microphone (typing on a loud keyboard, breathing heavily) can be disruptive. I found the best solution to that is to politely call attention to it.

Or, you know, push-to-talk...

Albions_Angel
2016-02-27, 06:42 PM
As much as I like the sound of Tabletop Simulator, isn't it, like, $20? Per person? Roll20 has the big advantage of being free.

Its often on sale. Picked up the 4pack for £20 a few weeks ago. Now me and 3 of my friends have it. A few others did the same, meaning most of my friends group has it now. Of course you are right, if they arnt that sort of person then it wont help, but if they have it...

Arutema
2016-02-28, 01:27 AM
Or, you know, push-to-talk...

Some of the more popular voice chat clients don't support this. Mostly I end up using Google hangouts, which is always-on.

If given a choice of voice client, I prefer Teamspeak thanks to having push-to-talk and support for adjusting other people's volumes individually. Everyone has to install the client software though, which seems to be the barrier to adoption.