PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unchained Monk Archetypes

Nyan
2016-02-26, 08:39 AM
Okay so i've found that the new Unchained monk is not functional with the regular monk archetypes but I have found that this book http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149999/Unchained-Monk-Archetypes-PFRPG provides exactly what I need.

But being the cheap person that I am I figured I would ask if anyone has already bought this and can tell me how Master of many styles, Monk of the lotus and Queigong monk has been changed. If not perhaps tell me somewhere I can maybe get the pdf for free.

Psyren
2016-02-26, 10:23 AM
We quite obviously can't do the latter as that would be illegal, but the product page for this one on Paizo (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9ef2?Unchained-Monk-Archetypes) contains an Endzeitgeist review you might find helpful and even some product discussion.

There was also another attempt at converting archetypes to unchained done by Everyman Gaming (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9dsh?Everyman-Unchained-Monk-Archetypes) (aka Radiance House, the folks behind the Occultist.) As I'm more familiar with Alex's work than that of the Purple Duck guy I'd be more partial to that one, but both got decent reviews so I'll likely end up checking them both out. $6 isn't going to break the bank.

Machinekng
2016-02-26, 10:24 AM
Okay so i've found that the new Unchained monk is not functional with the regular monk archetypes but I have found that this book http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149999/Unchained-Monk-Archetypes-PFRPG provides exactly what I need.

But being the cheap person that I am I figured I would ask if anyone has already bought this and can tell me how Master of many styles, Monk of the lotus and Queigong monk has been changed. If not perhaps tell me somewhere I can maybe get the pdf for free.

Qinggong powers have actually been incorporated into the Unchained Monk through the ki power system, so you wouldn't have to take the archetype.

Master of Many Styles replaces features that are in the same slot as they were with the Monk. If I was your DM, I'd say that it was okay to use it.

Monk of the Lotus is the tricky one, since Quivering Palm and Tongue of the Sun and Moon have been replaced with an additional use of style strike and another style strike selection respectively. The other two features that it replaces are still there, however. You might have to work with you GM how you would want to adapt it. The easiest way would be to shift the abilities up/down a level, and replace ki powers, but I'm not sure.

Knight Magenta
2016-02-26, 10:52 AM
We quite obviously can't do the latter as that would be illegal.

It really isn't. The Open gaming license means that you can reuse the rules released under the open gaming license. Its the reason that the SRD can exist. You should support publishers if you like the work they are doing, but reposting those rules would not be illegal. The same is not true of things termed "product identity," such as art, story and proper names.

Psyren
2016-02-26, 11:27 AM
It really isn't. The Open gaming license means that you can reuse the rules released under the open gaming license. Its the reason that the SRD can exist. You should support publishers if you like the work they are doing, but reposting those rules would not be illegal. The same is not true of things termed "product identity," such as art, story and proper names.

He didn't ask for the rules text though, he asked for the whole PDF. As I would not be publishing any of that content under said license myself, reproducing it wholesale or providing it for free would be a problem.

Knight Magenta
2016-02-26, 11:34 AM
He didn't ask for the rules text though, he asked for the whole PDF. As I would not be publishing any of that content under said license myself, reproducing it wholesale or providing it for free would be a problem.

That's fair. I read the OP as asking for the rules text of three of the archetypes.

Personally, I wish that more smaller publishers would post preview PDFs or publish their own SRDs so that I could figure out if I am interested in their stuff. I bought the Spheres of Power after being impressed by their preview :)

Nyan
2016-02-26, 12:00 PM
Well the rules text is kinda what I asked for if you put it that way. xD I guess it was not clear enough. So if anyone is able I would like the text for the archetypes i've mentioned.