PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Free Wand - What Wizard Spell?

Palanan
2016-02-26, 03:04 PM
I'm working up my first wizard in Pathfinder, and my DM is allowing me one free wand of a first- or second-level arcane spell.

Allowed books include the CRB, APG, ACG and the Ultimates, plus the voluminous Deep Magic, which is our only 3PP book allowed. Given these sources, what would be a solid choice for my wand?

GreyBlack
2016-02-26, 03:14 PM
Glitterdust. Easily one of the best spells in the game to use, being able to cast it without preparing it makes it better.

Geddy2112
2016-02-26, 03:26 PM
Second glitterdust, with honorable mention to resist energy, darkness, fog cloud, invisibility, and mirror image.

What would the caster level of the wand? Might rule out some choices or make some better. Also, depends on your party composition a bit.

stack
2016-02-26, 03:33 PM
What level are you? The DC on a wand of glitter dust will be very low. Depending on your level it may not be worthwhile compared to some spell whose use is less save dependent.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-02-26, 04:05 PM
Web-- useful BFC even without the save
Locate Object, See Invisibility-- always useful divinations
Shatter-- destroy anything
Blur, Mirror Image-- solid defenses
Invisibility-- never hurts
Minor Image
Alter Self-- pick up lots of useful little bonuses

Âmesang
2016-02-26, 04:27 PM
I'd vote for invisibility since it can be used on both creatures and objects ("Crown jewels? What crown jewels?").

Palanan
2016-02-26, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by stack
What level are you?

Originally Posted by Geddy2112
What would the caster level of the wand [be]? Might rule out some choices or make some better. Also, depends on your party composition a bit.

My character is multiclass, with only one level of wizard.

And as it happens, he's going to be the only arcane caster in the party. We have two clerics, a brawler, a slayer, a beastform alchemist and a greataxe fighter.

Geddy2112
2016-02-26, 05:31 PM
My character is multiclass, with only one level of wizard.
With the wand being CL1, anything that is is rounds/level is near worthless, ruling out glitterdust.

And as it happens, he's going to be the only arcane caster in the party. We have two clerics, a brawler, a slayer, a beastform alchemist and a greataxe fighter.
With that much frontline melee, I would say mirror image or invisibility is the best bet.

GreyBlack
2016-02-26, 05:48 PM
Instead of a wand, you should ask for a free Hat.

ericgrau
2016-02-27, 08:55 AM
What level are you? The DC on a wand of glitter dust will be very low. Depending on your level it may not be worthwhile compared to some spell whose use is less save dependent.

This. Plus many others that don't have saves are too hard to spam.

Get invisibility. It's the only one listed that you might ever cast 50 useful times. Works on allies and objects. Sneak the entire party past an encounter. See through a door. Hide plot objects. I believe you can buy bear traps in APG or some PF book. They'll work better when invisibile. Etc.

I couldn't find any restriction against having multiple locate objects active at once, so that one might spam ok too. Start rattling off everything a ddoor'ed villain was wearing until most of your locate object "votes" point you to where he probably went. Hunt down other plot elements. Etc. Not as good as invisibility, but I always say invisibility. If you haven't had fun spamming invisibility, get it and be amazed. If you have then get locate object.

Mehangel
2016-02-27, 10:30 AM
Why not a wand of Masterwork Transformation (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/masterworkTransformation.html)? After getting the wand purchase 50 Clubs at (0gp a piece) and use all 50 charges of the wand to create masterwork clubs worth 300 gp a piece and sell them for no less than 7500 gp and use that gold to get you something far more useful to yourself.

ericgrau
2016-02-27, 10:46 AM
Because material components make the wand more expensive and the DM is likely to call shenanigans on your attempt to get a 19,500 gp wand.

Florian
2016-02-27, 02:04 PM
Because material components make the wand more expensive and the DM is likely to call shenanigans on your attempt to get a 19,500 gp wand.

And, a should be obvious, at that point your better off selling that wand :D

@Topic:

Seconding Invisibility. All-around useful at low levels.

Ilorin Lorati
2016-02-27, 02:21 PM
Infernal Healing is a good option if you don't already have reliable OOC healing. It's something that'll be used at a reasonable pace, and your party will love you for it.

Palanan
2016-02-28, 05:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Invisibility works perfectly for this character, and he put it to good use in our session last night, in which he got the drop on one of the drow who had just ambushed the party.

He was nearly bludgeoned, poisoned and drowned in the next few rounds, but the invisibility part worked just fine. :smalltongue: