PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic music

Shadow of the Sun
2007-06-18, 10:04 AM
Well, hello everyone! It's currently 1AM in the morning, around the time I begin to feel tipsy, so have a thread! *throws thread at you*

Basically, I've been listening to a lot of acoustic guitar stuff recently, primarily Michael Hedges.

If anyone has any other cool acoustic stuff, they can post it or talk about it here.

ZombieRockStar
2007-06-18, 10:27 AM
What's this? Another place to whore my songs? (http://www.mediafire.com/?5amg0dymjzd)

(And, yes, I'm aware the lyrics are kinda creepy. They were written that way. It's sort of half-serious/half-funny)

On the topic of music that isn't mine, I'm trying at the moment to learn Bert Jansch's "Angie" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqjUWJtH88c) Which isn't too difficult, actually, once you get the main riff pattern down. I think it sounds a little bit like the acoustic opening Heart uses in "Crazy on You." Which would make sense, since Heart was influenced by folk a lot along with Zeppelin's folk/proto-metal rock.

Also, I love the way Joan Baez sings this Dylan song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cmNRVL1drA) in particular. Sometimes I'm a bit iffy on her other Dylan covers, but this one I like.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-06-18, 10:33 AM
On the topic of Dylan covers, have you heard Hedges version of All Along The Watchtower? It's very different, but I really like it.

Ka-video-link! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTDNG8puHF0)

Penguinsushi
2007-06-18, 10:35 AM
Oh yeah. There are sometimes - particularly late at night - when I'm just looking for something mellow and smooth. It is during those times that I usually put on some Iron & Wine (http://www.ironandwine.com/) - one of my all-time fav acoustic artists.

You'd be hard-pressed to find anything mellower...

...on a side note, for similar reasons, this is NOT driving music...

~PS

Hoggy
2007-06-18, 11:15 AM
More reason for people to start listening to Porcupine Tree, they have some awesome acoustic stuff, and the rest of it is still mellow and stuff. Not that I'm trying to say all acoustic is mellow. But yeah.

Try, say, for instance.... a song called Trains. You may not look back.

In other acoustic news, Hayseed Dixie's cover of Breaking The Law is worth a listen.

Hoggy
2007-06-18, 11:17 AM
This post does not exist and your eyes trick you. TRICK YOU.

Amotis
2007-06-18, 12:54 PM
+1 to Angi (wait...did I give that to you? Because I'm looking at the sheet music right now :smalltongue: ) and Iron and Wine.

The later is really nice; good party stuff. Which, by my definition, is a small group of friends hanging out and drinking. So some harmonically fun stuff like Naked As We Came, He Lays In The Reigns, 16 Maybe Less, Dead Man's Will (love it. Giiiive thiiiis riiiiiiiiiiing....), Sodom South Georgia, Bird Stealing Bread, Jezebel ( = love), and Freedom. Real fun to just chill, huddle around, and sing along with.

...whoa I know a lot of Iron and Wine. Which I guess is about right, I started learning non-classical around when I was into them/him. I think it was him who got me to finally buy a capo. Easy stuff, fun stuff.

I guess my two bands that I've been playing the forever out of have been the Mt. Goats (another fun party band for completely different reasons) and Red House Painters (RHPRHPRHPRHRPRHPRHPRHPRHPRH!).

*shrug* I'm a sucker for texture. A well played acoustic guitar is beauty.

Jorkens
2007-06-18, 02:26 PM
+1 to Angi (wait...did I give that to you? Because I'm looking at the sheet music right now :smalltongue: )
Originally by Davy Graham not Bert Jansch, though. Davy Graham is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNUPc7wODrQ&mode=related&search=

In a kind of related vein, the small amount of John Fahey stuff I've heard has been pretty fantastic too...

Amotis
2007-06-18, 10:14 PM
Rgr that. Most folk folks like to steal.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-06-19, 01:25 AM
This is currently my favourite song, Ritual Dance by Michael Hedges. That man was a genius. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16g2o2zGRfA)

Mephibosheth
2007-06-19, 08:24 AM
I'm really into listening to Cahalen Morrison (http://www.cahalen.com) at the moment. He's an up-and-coming musician from New Mexico. You should definitely check him out if you get a chance.

I also really like the Clumsy Lovers (http://www.clumsylovers.com), who play kind of bluegrass/rock/pop. There's a video for "Smart Kid" on their website, which is a really sweet song.

Mephibosheth

Jorkens
2007-06-19, 01:56 PM
Rgr that. Most folk folks like to steal.

That's why it's folk music, I suppose.

It's quite interesting that you keep getting 'folk revivals' or 'nu-nu-nu folk scenes' where people pick up on the aesthetic but can't shake the rockist idea that if you're not writing your own songs, you're somehow not a proper band...

ZombieRockStar
2007-06-19, 02:07 PM
+1 to Angi (wait...did I give that to you? Because I'm looking at the sheet music right now :smalltongue: ) and Iron and Wine.

Yes, you did, actually. Heh. (I should ask you about the left-hand fingering you're using...I've been using my thumb to cover the F on the bass line for the opening; are you doing something different?)

I should've mentioned Iron and Wine. Zombie loves.

Penguinsushi
2007-06-19, 03:14 PM

The later is really nice; good party stuff. Which, by my definition, is a small group of friends hanging out and drinking. So some harmonically fun stuff like Naked As We Came, He Lays In The Reigns, 16 Maybe Less, Dead Man's Will (love it. Giiiive thiiiis riiiiiiiiiiing....), Sodom South Georgia, Bird Stealing Bread, Jezebel ( = love), and Freedom [Hangs Like Heaven]. Real fun to just chill, huddle around, and sing along with.

...whoa I know a lot of Iron and Wine. Which I guess is about right, I started learning non-classical around when I was into them/him. I think it was him who got me to finally buy a capo. Easy stuff, fun stuff.

Yeah, those are good ones. I played Dead Man's Will at a coffee shop around here a while back...

I'm also a big fan of Passing Afternoon - which seems to have mysteriously disappeared from my playlist. The rest from that album are there, but not that one. And I have *no* idea where that cd went...

~PS

karmuno
2007-06-19, 05:18 PM
As far as instrumental stuff goes, Steve Howe (of Yes fame) did a couple good acoustic stuff during the golden years of Yes (the two I'm thinking of are "Clap" and "Mood For A Day" from The Yes Album and Fragile, respectively). I know he did acoustic solo stuff also, but I haven't really listened to any of that. There are also acoustic sections in many Yes songs, but you have to go through twenty minutes of (top notch) prog rock to get to them. I'm too into Grunge right now to think of other acoustic things (although if you can somehow find the live version of the Who's "Tea & Theatre," that's a great song, although not complex or particularly deep, if that's what you're looking for).

smellie_hippie
2007-06-19, 06:10 PM
Not to sound like a one-trick-pony, but John Fahey is just incredible. I also really like Ani DiFranco...

MandibleBones
2007-06-19, 06:16 PM
Not acoustic, but as far as folk-type stuff goes, Great Big Sea (http://www.greatbigsea.com/) and Common Rotation (http://www.commonrotation.com/index.htm) are both awesome, and you should totally check them out.

ZombieRockStar
2007-06-19, 06:29 PM
Not to sound like a one-trick-pony, but John Fahey is just incredible. I also really like Ani DiFranco...

Seconded. I love Ani. A friend of a friend introduced me to her music about two years ago and I just kept listening. I think she might be the one who fully turned me on to neo-folk music, actually.

smellie_hippie
2007-06-19, 06:40 PM
I survived an Ani DiFranco concert. It was not without some effort... and the graceful support of several female friends accompanying me and vouching for my sincerity for appreciating the music. :smallamused:

FdL
2007-06-19, 08:48 PM
That's why it's folk music, I suppose.

It's quite interesting that you keep getting 'folk revivals' or 'nu-nu-nu folk scenes' where people pick up on the aesthetic but can't shake the rockist idea that if you're not writing your own songs, you're somehow not a proper band...

Well, I think so too. I was never comfortable with the concept of a band just playing and arranging traditional material. It seems too detached for me. I know it comes from a different tradition, from classical and also celtic bands and "true folklore", but it ain't my cup of tea. You just got to make your little scribble in that big book you're reading. Even if it pales in comparison, it adds, it's something new.

I can understand the opposite, but it's a totally different approach to music. Anyway, even if you write your own songs you're still putting all your influences and generic consciousness into them, so go figure.

Jorkens
2007-06-19, 09:11 PM
Well, I think so too. I was never comfortable with the concept of a band just playing and arranging traditional material. It seems too detached for me. I know it comes from a different tradition, from classical and also celtic bands and "true folklore", but it ain't my cup of tea.
I think it partly comes from the different sort of skill it needs - I guess getting good enough at an instrument that you can bring something really personal to a traditional tune is actually pretty hard, and people these days are more used to the indie / rock model where you get reasonably competent at playing an instrument and reasonably competent at writing your own songs and the combination gives you something personal.

Penguinsushi
2007-06-19, 09:34 PM
I survived an Ani DiFranco concert. It was not without some effort... and the graceful support of several female friends accompanying me and vouching for my sincerity for appreciating the music. :smallamused:

Haha. Wow, I wouldn't have pegged you two (hippie & ZRS) for DiFranco fans. :smallamused:

I've never been to one of her concerts, but I listen to a bit of her stuff. I particularly like her 'Dilate' record and her live recordings...

...haven't listened to that in a while, actually... *goes to put on Dilate*

~PS

edit: *randomly quotes* "I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes..." ...I love so many of her lyrics...

FdL
2007-06-19, 09:56 PM
I think it partly comes from the different sort of skill it needs - I guess getting good enough at an instrument that you can bring something really personal to a traditional tune is actually pretty hard, and people these days are more used to the indie / rock model where you get reasonably competent at playing an instrument and reasonably competent at writing your own songs and the combination gives you something personal.

I agree with you. It's quite different, sure.

But I still think it's better to try to write the classics of tomorrow than play the classics of yesterday. In a total non-ambitious way. Ancient melodies of the future, you know.

smellie_hippie
2007-06-20, 06:19 AM
Haha. Wow, I wouldn't have pegged you two (hippie & ZRS) for DiFranco fans. :smallamused:

~PS

edit: *randomly quotes* "I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes..." ...I love so many of her lyrics...

Maybe you can stop me from ever being happy,
but you're not gonna stop me from having fun.

Ani rocks. That was the first concert I took my wife to. :smallamused:

Penguinsushi
2007-06-20, 01:08 PM
Ani rocks. That was the first concert I took my wife to. :smallamused:

Nice. Hehe.

Is she a fan as well?

Ironically, I think I know more guys who like her stuff than girls (I know Sheri's not such a fan)... ...guess it has to do with the kind of people I hang out with...

~PS