PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating Richard from Looking For Group

Taejang
2016-02-26, 04:17 PM
So my goal is to create Richard (http://lookingforgroup.wikia.com/wiki/Richard), as much as possible within 5e. As a working name, we shall call him LD. Final name will have to be something else.

Warlock of the Undying (from Sword Coast book) is the class and archetype. Just read those abilities and tell me how Indestructible Life doesn't sound like Richard.

My DM will allow me to use some fluff features from Unearthed Arcana 2's Shadow Sorcerer:
LD will be icy cold to the touch, won't seem to bleed, won't blink, and his heart beats once per minute.

My DM also said he will allow him to have some version of Plant Growth, only usable as a ritual and only on or for flowers.

Richard is human, so LD will be a variant human to get an extra feat. Feats that seem to work:
Spell Sniper, Tough, War Caster (for spell casting as a reaction), possibly Mobile. Skilled may be required to get him proficiency in Leatherworking Tools (because Richard is always making things out of, ah, "leather"), and Nature (gardening).

Evocations:
Eldritch Blast is basically our fwoosh, so Agonizing Blast and Eldritch Spear are shoe ins. Possibly Repelling Blast as well.
Whispers of the Grave and Witch Sight also seem appropriate. Sculptor of Flesh may fit.

For a background, I'm thinking he will be Cursed. Having been alive for hundreds of years, he has proficiency in History and possibly Religion (due to the curse and his learning about said curse). This curse would be how he became a warlock. My DM is fine with a custom background, which this would be. What I'm not sure is, what Background Feature should he have?

For his Pact Feature, I'm thinking Pact of the Chain. Because he needs a certain Imp.

What do you guys think? What spells, evocations, feats, and backgrounds would you pick for a 5e version of Richard?

Belac93
2016-02-26, 07:46 PM
I would say eldritch spear is unnecessary. He never seems to attack from that far away. I think Fiendish Vigor would make more sense. For feats, I feel like warcaster and tough/durable should be used.

For a background, I suggest a custom one. Proficiency with gardeners and weavers tools (he always seems to be wearing different clothes), proficiency in intimidation and history, and the cursed background feature.

For ability score, have low wisdom, medium intelligence, higher than average dexterity and strength, and pump Constitution and Charisma. Take blasty spells. Much 'fwoosh' is good.

See if you can get proficiency in Dancing. (maybe some levels in bard?) ('Lord of the Dance')

I'm going to go read that comic for the 4th time. Thank you for using up 10 more hours of my time.

And always, always remember.

"FOR PONY!!"

MaxWilson
2016-02-26, 07:56 PM
Monk of Long Death is not a spellcaster, but is otherwise perfect for someone who casually shrugs off horrific injuries with a mildly-interested expression.

UberMagus
2016-02-26, 08:32 PM
I'd say go Sorlock on him. Sor(Shadow)/'lock(Undying)
Gives you all the fluff, and basically full casting...

Saggo
2016-02-26, 11:12 PM
My DM also said he will allow him to have some version of Plant Growth, only usable as a ritual and only on or for flowers.

Could use Mage Initiate Druid, or simply swap Prestidigitation, for Druidcraft.

Skald
2016-03-28, 03:45 AM
Sorry, I don't really have any advice for you- you seem to be heading in the right direction with the choices you've already made.
I just came here to say that this is a fantastic idea.