PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Weapon Master's Weapon Creation Rules

mrguymiah
2016-02-26, 04:45 PM
So I was looking into a dex-based, rapier melee character yesterday and I noticed that Piranha Strike can't be used by the Rapier. So I went to the new rules to try and create a Rapier that could. That's when I came to the realization that many weapons are either impossible to recreate or that the wording of this rule is really wonky.

"Improved Critical Threat Range (Varies): Increase the weapon's critical threat range by 1. This quality can be selected twice. It costs 3 DP the first time it is selected and 7 DP the second."

It came down to two interpretations in our group. The first interpretation was that it cost 10 DP since you're buying it twice. The other interpretation was that it's 7 DP since you're buying level 2 of the one quality.

What do you think? Are there any other rules that you're interested in discussing?

NightbringerGGZ
2016-02-26, 07:14 PM
The rules are wonky and obviously weren't reviewed prior to getting added. The concept of the system is fun, but the poor implementation means you'll need house rules to make things work. Here is what I suggest to fix the system:

Start a weapon's base damage at 1d6 instead of 1d3.
Change the cost of crit range to 2 points per increase (2 for 19-20, 4 for 18-20).

This would let you build most weapons that exist.

Btw, you can use Piranha Strike with a Rapier if you purchase and equip Effortless Lace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/effortless-lace).

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-02-27, 09:25 AM
Yeah, those rules dont really work. I can create an 'arming sword', a longsword that can switch between piercing and slashing, but I cant recreate a kukri at all, even at a lower damage die.