PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Green flame blade with spellsniper.

Tom Clarke
2016-02-26, 04:47 PM
Hey guys, first post here and need some help figuring out some rules.

My friend is playing as a multiclassing lv4 warlock, lv1 sorcerer. He has got round to taking a feat due to being a level 4 in warlock and is going for spell sniper. One of his many cantrips is greenflame blade from the wizards of the coast thing. He argues that A, even though the cantrip is a warlock spell, he gets the level 5 power buff and B, with spell sniping his range from greenflame goes to ten, allowing him to hit something out of his 5 feet range.
I dont know who is right tbh, and help would be great thanks.
thanks in advance

MeeposFire
2016-02-26, 04:51 PM
Hey guys, first post here and need some help figuring out some rules.

My friend is playing as a multiclassing lv4 warlock, lv1 sorcerer. He has got round to taking a feat due to being a level 4 in warlock and is going for spell sniper. One of his many cantrips is greenflame blade from the wizards of the coast thing. He argues that A, even though the cantrip is a warlock spell, he gets the level 5 power buff and B, with spell sniping his range from greenflame goes to ten, allowing him to hit something out of his 5 feet range.
I dont know who is right tbh, and help would be great thanks.
thanks in advance

A. Cantrip damage is based on overall levels not class levels so yes he is treated as a 5th level character for his cantirp use (and gets the extra dice).

B. He is correct but there is a caveat. Spell sniper does boost his range with that spell to 10 feet but he is still limited by the weapon being used. The spells range might be 10 feet but if you are human and using a long sword that will not help as your weapon is still only at 5 feet and you have to hit with the weapon for the spell to work. He will have to use a reach weapon like a glaive to actually use that 10 foot range on spell sniper green flame blade.

So tell him to use a whip, glavie, or other reach weapon and he will be fine.

Tom Clarke
2016-02-26, 04:53 PM
cheers bud, thanks for the quick reply.