PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthrope spellcasters

Aleolus
2016-02-26, 05:18 PM
So, some time back, I was playing a Dire Weretiger Warmage, and I noticed as I was building him that Lycanthrope states they cannot cast spells in animal or hybrid forms. I considered taking Natural Spell, except it states that its benefits apply "while Wild Shaped." The DM let me create my own feat to let me cast while in hybrid form, and I was wondering what all of your opinions on that idea were. Are there any significant possibilities for brokenness, or, conveersely, would doing this be a pointless task? I'm interested to hear if you would allow somethig like this, as well as if you would encourage or discourage it and why

Blackhawk748
2016-02-26, 05:23 PM
So, some time back, I was playing a Dire Weretiger Warmage, and I noticed as I was building him that Lycanthrope states they cannot cast spells in animal or hybrid forms. I considered taking Natural Spell, except it states that its benefits apply "while Wild Shaped." The DM let me create my own feat to let me cast while in hybrid form, and I was wondering what all of your opinions on that idea were. Are there any significant possibilities for brokenness, or, conveersely, would doing this be a pointless task? I'm interested to hear if you would allow somethig like this, as well as if you would encourage or discourage it and why

It probably has to do with not being able to talk, which is dumb as in Hybrid form they can speak, but you could take Surrogate Spellcasting to get around this.

In any event i let them cast if they are in Hybrid form, i mean i don't see why they couldnt.

Necroticplague
2016-02-26, 05:31 PM

Huh? where's it say they can't cast spell? The closest I can see is this:

A lycanthrope’s hybrid form does not gain any special attacks of the base animal. A lycanthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form.
So the normal trio of Silent Spell, Still Spell, and Eschew Materials should do it. Or, you know, use spells that don't have those components to begin with. Surrogate Spellcasting should also work.

Aleolus
2016-02-26, 05:40 PM
Huh? where's it say they can't cast spell? The closest I can see is this:

So the normal trio of Silent Spell, Still Spell, and Eschew Materials should do it. Or, you know, use spells that don't have those components to begin with. Surrogate Spellcasting should also work.

Huh. Either I misread that, or the version of the MM I was using was out of date with regards to updates

Troacctid
2016-02-26, 07:21 PM
Surrogate Spellcasting or Nonverbal Spell will do the trick (with the latter only working in hybrid form).