PDA

View Full Version : choices for magical secrets for this group?

thebiglost1
2016-02-26, 06:18 PM
Vengeance Pally, berserker barbarian, open hand monk, champion 2h fighter, and moon druid (that is apparently perma stuck in air elemental form lol)

I'm replacing a warlock that had to leave due to work changes and will be starting at lucky level 13 and want to hear some thoughts on magical secrets to choose for my 6th and 10th level choices. Full lore bard, no MC allowed. I took inspiring leader feat and have charisma at 20 currently.

Only one I can be 99.99% sure about taking is aura of vitality.

I'm thinking more control type spells, with maybe a little damage thrown in. I like Bigby's hand but not sure if it's just picturing it in my head going around slapping and grappling makes it seem more fun than it really is.

GO!

PS thanks

bardo
2016-02-26, 08:08 PM
Standard operating procedure is to start by looking at the 5th level spells on the Ranger and Paladin lists.

Conjure Volley from the Ranger list at 5th is a 40' radius AoE for 8d8 damage (unclear if/how it bypasses resistances, consult with DM). Destructive Smite from the Paladin list at 5th is a selective 30' circle AoE around you for 10d6 thunder and radiant damage and knocked prone (ask your friendly Pally if you can borrow it). Cone of cold is a 60' cone AoE for 8d8 cold damage. Fireball always an option.

Wall of Force/Wall of Stone for battle control, and utility outside.

Fly?

Bardo.

thebiglost1
2016-02-26, 08:22 PM
Standard operating procedure is to start by looking at the 5th level spells on the Ranger and Paladin lists.

Conjure Volley from the Ranger list at 5th is a 40' radius AoE for 8d8 damage (unclear if/how it bypasses resistances, consult with DM). Destructive Smite from the Paladin list at 5th is a selective 30' circle AoE around you for 10d6 thunder and radiant damage and knocked prone (ask your friendly Pally if you can borrow it). Cone of cold is a 60' cone AoE for 8d8 cold damage. Fireball always an option.

Fly?

Bardo.
Figure most of the time my concentration will be busy either with faerie fire or vitality depending on the situation so don't really want to limit myself to a single target concentration spell like fly or haste.

I probably will take one of fireball/ lightning bolt (I like lightning even if it is hard to 'target')/CoC/destructive wave type spells for AoE

Thanks for the input.

MeeposFire
2016-02-26, 08:24 PM

Fly?

Bardo.

Destructive smite sounds nice with this group. Hit a group for good damage and knock them prone. The rest of the party being a bunch of melee guys wade in and attack with advantage potentially.

thebiglost1
2016-02-26, 08:32 PM
Destructive smite sounds nice with this group. Hit a group for good damage and knock them prone. The rest of the party being a bunch of melee guys wade in and attack with advantage potentially.

Yeah, the party has plenty of muscle. I figure the bulk of my time with be trying to enhance their stuff (giving advantage some how) or just keeping them alive.

thebiglost1
2016-02-26, 08:34 PM
Slow also comes to mind.

CaptAl
2016-02-26, 09:04 PM
Slow is solid. Especially against brutes. Our Arctic Druid used slow on 2 Fire Giants a few nights ago. Lasted long enough to destroy one, and get a big lead on the second without losing a ton of HP from the level 6 party.

thebiglost1
2016-02-26, 09:18 PM
Slow is solid. Especially against brutes. Our Arctic Druid used slow on 2 Fire Giants a few nights ago. Lasted long enough to destroy one, and get a big lead on the second without losing a ton of HP from the level 6 party.

Nice.

I'd also like to add that misty step is a strong possibility as I can envision times when the DM will try to focus me because I plan on being quite a PITA.

coredump
2016-02-26, 09:43 PM
Counter spell

miburo
2016-02-26, 09:57 PM
I'd pick up Fireball at 6th level. Your party looks like it could use some AoE. and you get a lot of disables already as a bard.

Also, maybe something like Wall of Force so you could section out the battlefield while all of your melee teammates wail on an opponent?

bardo
2016-02-27, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't discard Fly so fast just because it's concentration. It has its uses out of combat. It also covers something your melee-heavy party is probably missing, the ability to confront flying opponents who refuse to come down.

Speaking of concentration and melee-heavy, your party can probably benefit from Bless (disregard if your Pally is already casting it). Bless is a more reliable way to support the -5/+10 feats than Faerie Fire because there's no save involved. Faerie Fire's advantage to hit would usually be bigger than Bless' +1d4, but Bless also improves your saving throws.

I don't know about Misty Step. Since it's a bonus action and a 2nd level slot I can't say it's completely outclassed by Dimension Door, but Dimension Door has a lot going for it: 500 ft. range (vs. Misty Step's 30'), you can bring a friend, you can teleport to a place you can't see, and it's already on the Bard's spell list. The trade-off is that Dimension Door is an action and a 4th level slot. Mirror Image is another 2nd level spell to consider if you're looking for ways to not get hit.

Bardo.

Biggstick
2016-02-27, 02:48 AM
Counter spell

What he said. Bard's are the absolute best person to have counterspell on. Jack of all trades plus a maxed casting stat make your counterspell checks amazing. Counterspell + Cutting Words + Vicious Mockery make you a monster in of itself.

Giant2005
2016-02-27, 03:06 AM
Counter Spell and Aura of Vitality are excellent choices.
I'd also consider Spiritual Weapon so you have something productive to do with your bonus action if Aura of Vitality isn't necessary (And you are using your Inspiration via Reactions with Cutting Words).
Antilife Shell is a good choice too. It requires concentration but lasts a long time and acts as both a shield for yourself and a little bit of crowd control if you position yourself well enough.
You might also want to ask your DM about how he envisions Aura of Vitality and Find Steed working together. If your mount can use a bonus action to heal others via that spell, then Find Steed is a no brainer. You might want to ask about Find Steed and Spirit Guardians too - if your Steed gets his own Guardians, then that spell would be far too powerful to ignore.
You should also consider something like Revivify. Sure your Paladin buddy can cast the spell, but I'm pretty sure he would like someone being able to bring him back if he were the one to die. Sadly your Druid could have filled that role with something like Reincarnation, but with him being stuck in Elemental form, Druid spellcasting is out.

thebiglost1
2016-02-27, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I am probably going to take an AOE just not certain which one. I like

Our druid can fly as an air elemental, and the permanently stuck thing was kind of tongue in cheek as he basically changes form as soon as our first encounter starts and as long as he doesn't have to shift back due to damage or whatever, he stays in it.

thebiglost1
2016-02-28, 10:00 AM
Playing tonite. Have decided on Aura of vitality, Counter spell , Fireball and Misty Step.

Aura for healing (duh)
Counter spell for casters (duh)
Fireball because fire. (Double duh)
And misty step as a relatively cheap escape clause. (This is just a personal better save than sorry spell)

Thanks again fellas.