PDA

View Full Version : Running a super villain game (M&M 2nd ed)

Blackbird
2007-06-18, 11:16 AM
With summer comes a lot of free time for me, so I thought I'd open up this thread, to express interest in such a game on my own part as well as hoping to find some other people interested in some good old fashioned villainy.

Running a game like this has it's own problems, which are talked of a lot in the m&m core book, which is why I'd appreciate any and all ideas and suggestions for this kind of game/campaign.

I'd be happy to play, as well as help anyone with rules-problems as best as I can if we ever got a game running. Heck, I'd even GM if we couldn't find a GM, but I'll have to warn that I don't really have much (read: any) experience in GM'ing, so I'd have to wing a lot of it. But, anyway, let's get the whole ball rolling first.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-18, 11:25 AM
First, I would say "Sign me up". Would. But I don't have the rules, and seemingly no way to obtain said rules.

Second, shouldn't this be in the recruiting... area... thing? Sorry, my brain just ran out of steam.

EDIT: Oh, and if it is perfectly alright for this to be in the Gaming section, then by all means ignore the second point. :smallsmile:

Blackbird
2007-06-18, 11:35 AM
I suppose you're right, I wasn't sure wether the thread belonged here or in the recruiting-section. Maybe I should've stuck it there with a 'Gauging Interest' or something tacked onto the title as well. I'll leave it to the Powers That Be to move it there if they feel it necessary.

There might be ways to obtain the rules through means we should probably further discuss by PM or email, although I could tell you about the system and help you create a character, that's pretty much how I got into the system in the first place. I told our GM what I was looking for and he translated it to me onto a sheet. A while later I was hooked and picked up the core book. That being said, I can vouch for the system being a great one and being definitely worth the money if your budget's not too tight.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-18, 11:56 AM
It's not that I have a limited budget, it's just that no one sells the darned thing in a 6-hour drive radius!! :smallannoyed:

Anywho, I guess I could try to puzzle it out with your help or something. I'll have to... oh... wait a sec. I could order through Books-A-Million!:smile: I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. I'll just go and do that today, and it should come in within a week or two, depending on shipping. So I guess you could count me in now.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-18, 12:59 PM
I was going to suggest www.amazon.com, but your way works too. Amazon might be cheaper though.

Anyway, I desperately want to play an M&M game that actually, y'know, starts. I'd even offer to GM, but sadly, I have almost no hands-on experience with the system, and I'd like to play a fairly complete game of it before I take on refereeing duties. And of course, playing the bad guys is always fun.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-18, 03:09 PM
Okay, I've got it ordered. Only problem is they said it would be here in three to four weeks. So... I dunno. You could just start without me, and when I get my book I can join in at some time. *shrug* I guess that's up to the GM. The only other thing I can think of doing is start working on my character. With help, of course.

And of course, playing the bad guys is always fun.

Indeed, bad guys have loads of fun. And who dosen't enjoy sending wave after wave of minions at any obsticle?

Heroes getting you down? BAM! Swamped by cheap expendable labor.
National Army harrasing you? BOOM! They don't have a chance against the legions of loyal minions.
Laundry? HA! They would have it all done an hour tops! :smallsmile:

At least, thats what I envision.:smallbiggrin:

ravenkith
2007-06-18, 04:05 PM
What power level you thinking of?

I've got a couple of bad-guy type concepts I wouldn't mind (ab)using...

PsyBlade
2007-06-18, 04:53 PM
I'm interested. So what PL?

Blackbird
2007-06-19, 02:40 AM
That's the biggest problem, I think. Where to start? If you get to conquering the world too quickly, what's there left to do afterwards? There's the universe, I suppose, as well as alternate timelines/other dimensions...

So probably PL 10 as the very max, although I'm considering starting possibly with PL 8, 'Today New York, tomorrow the world!', you know? Or maybe some smaller South American country or something like that for starters.

Green Bean
2007-06-19, 02:50 AM
This looks like it could be fun! I've been kicking around the idea of a Purple Man-based villain, so colour me interested.

Also, we should totally take over Uruguay.

ravenkith
2007-06-19, 08:28 AM
PL8 or 10 sounds great.

It's always more fun to achieve things with less resources, anyway, and the game is really meant to be done right around that level: the system falls apart if you go too far either way.

I'm definitely interested. When do you start taking submissions?

Blackbird
2007-06-19, 09:05 AM
Right now I'm leaning more towards PL 10 for simplicity's sake. The first few adventure's will have you running mercenary-style missions and robbing banks, though I'll give you some rope on how exactly you'll accomplish them. After a few (read: 3-5) adventure's you can strike out as your own Injustice Society/Secret Organization and start your bids for world-power, or you can stay with the original criminal organization and work you're way up to the top of the foodchain from there. I'm saying this just so you won't have a Doctor Doom with your own country from the beginning, you'll get to that later.

As for submissions, it'll take a while for me to get the game ready, even though I've got ideas set, but I don't really see a problem with everybody starting on their characters. Just contact me if you have problems or questions and if you don't have the book yet, PM me with character-concepts and we'll work something out.

ravenkith
2007-06-19, 09:16 AM
I'm considering a villain that has the ability to manipulate molecules, with the capability to nullify, disintegrate, create object, and transform. He'll also be immune to aging and disease, and will probably have rigged up a suit of armor (protection) as well.

PsyBlade
2007-06-19, 01:49 PM
Great, and I got a good idea. What does everyone think of a guy who can produce 8 copies of himself?

Ghal Marak
2007-06-19, 02:17 PM
That sounds like a nifty way to rob multiple banks at one time. :smallsmile:

I was thinking that Meatshield would be a nice and easy way to play for the first time. So my character will probably be a tank unless there is something easyer to play as.

Blackbird
2007-06-20, 06:24 AM
Duplication sounds good, who needs minions when you can copy yourself :smallsmile: No real problems with that.

A meatshield sounds good, the group will need one anyway. There's an easy to get him a few minor tricks for variety, I'll PM you regarding that.

Manipulating molecules sounds okay, disintegrate and create object are fine. Transform is really powerful, so I'm going to have to ask you to stay away from the higher levels of the power (definitely won't allow the 6 point version, probably will allow the 5 point version though). Could you explain nullify as a part of the power-set, please? I don't have any problems with the power, I just don't understand how it ties into the concept. Armor sounds fine.

ravenkith
2007-06-20, 08:17 AM
Well, assuming that powers are genetic or device-based, he could theoretically rearrange the molecules of the individual in question so that the powers didn't work any more.

I'm also considering vibratory powers...but it's all very much up in the air at the moment.

I was kind of going for a scarlet witch vibe, as in the X-men games, where she can turn villains into boxes choc full o' goodies, which would necessitate the 6 point version of the power.

Perhaps a limitation on the power that reduces it's usefulness...? Or make it sense dependent, so that they have to look at me, or something, giving my opponents a viable defense...?

Or maybe make it a full round action to use?

I don't know, for sure, but the original concept was built around this power.

If it's something that's going to be problematic, I'll just scrap the concept and make something else, but let me know either way, 'k?

Blackbird
2007-06-20, 08:32 AM
Ah, right, I can see that, no problem there with the nullify-power.

The problem with transform is that it's so versatile, especially the higher-cost versions of the power. The 5 poinst/rank (for example transform inanimate object to other inanimate object) is really the highest I'm willing to allow you to go with it.

It'll still give you a lot you can do, like transform the weapons and armor into something less durable which'll break, or snaring your opponent by transforming the air around him into concrete or suffocating by transforming the air in his lungs/around him into something unbreathable or... Well, you see where I'm going with this, like I said, it's very versatile.

I'm willing to let you run the 5 point version, but I'll remind you that you can only affect one target at a time with it unless you take some extras like area: burst or power feats like split attack and selective. Think of it like a subconscious mental block for the character not to mess with everything.

ravenkith
2007-06-20, 08:35 AM
Makes sense: like molecule man. (Marvel comics).

Hrm...inanimate objects only is definitely doable here...but how would that interact with the nullify power?

Grr...

<-----thinking.

Blackbird
2007-06-20, 08:42 AM
Hmm, you're right, hadn't thought of that. That'd drop it's affect to technology, machine's and stuff. I'd say that would be the 2 point version of the nullify power. Cyborgs and robots would of course be fair game, meaning you could probably shut their systems down just like that or transform them into something else with the transform power.

Nyrath
2007-06-20, 09:26 AM
Oh dear, with this going up and my natural interest in it I might have to put my own work on the back burner.

I'm thinking of making some form of mystic warrior though not one who relies on Devices for his powers.

Pauwel
2007-06-20, 09:35 AM
I'd love to join this, but could you please explain the setting first? I'd hate to think up a character concept and then find out it doesn't fit the setting.

For a bit more nagging (sorry), shouldn't this be in the Recruiting Players forum?

Blackbird
2007-06-20, 10:23 AM
The thread was originally started to talk about the possibility of a super villain game using M&M 2nd ed (and to admittedly find people interested in playing) but as interested people showed up I guessed it turned into a recruitment thread. Mostly I just left it in the hands of the Powers That Be to move it to the recruitment-area if it was felt necessary.

As this is my first time GM'ing, everything's still a bit loose. Basicly the setting is basic super hero stuff, with super-powered beings having been around for a long time but supers on both sides of most conflicts have resulted in no big changes in history (i.e. yes, there were allied supers in normandy etc but the supers of the reich balanced things out so that the outcome doesn't really differ that much from the history of our world). I admit this is the easy way out, but like I said, I'm new. Besides, I'm intending to give the villainous players pretty much free hands on what they want to (try) to do after a few adventures of bringing everyone into the game. So it's pretty open-ended, with a lot of the gameworld shaped (especially later on) by the players.

That said, I'm especially grateful for any sworn enemies or rivals you can drop into your backgrounds and I'm giving a lot of loose rope on what you can or can't have in background, so you can go ahead and invent bigger organizations and companies, heroes and teams etc. although I'll check them before okaying them, naturally.

hewhosaysfish
2007-06-20, 10:52 AM
That sounds like a nifty way to rob multiple banks at one time. :smallsmile:

"Me, officer? Why that's impossible! I was having dinner with the mayor when that robbery took place!"

PsyBlade
2007-06-20, 11:46 AM
"Me, officer? Why that's impossible! I was having dinner with the mayor when that robbery took place!"

Not what I had planned, but fits in with the 16 or so Int and Wis I was thinking of giving him. I'm also thinking of giving him several defensive powers. The kind that lets him get out of any sticky situation. Not necessarily with the loot, but still escape like a villain should. I think he'll also stick to most genre conventions, if only so that he'll be a good story to tell in the unlikely event he dies.

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 12:01 PM
Not what I had planned, but fits in with the 16 or so Int and Wis I was thinking of giving him. I'm also thinking of giving him several defensive powers. The kind that lets him get out of any sticky situation. Not necessarily with the loot, but still escape like a villain should. I think he'll also stick to most genre conventions, if only so that he'll be a good story to tell in the unlikely event he dies.

Yeah, my guy's build on four colour conventions; he can cause chaos and disorder, but he doesn't kill bystanders.

PsyBlade
2007-06-20, 12:10 PM
Yeah, my guy's build on four colour conventions; he can cause chaos and disorder, but he doesn't kill bystanders.

After all, you have to have somebody tell everyone else what happened.

Dihan
2007-06-20, 12:21 PM
I'd like to play this, I even have the book and a power supplement book, I just feel that I don't have enough time.

Pauwel
2007-06-20, 12:24 PM
The thread was originally started to talk about the possibility of a super villain game using M&M 2nd ed (and to admittedly find people interested in playing) but as interested people showed up I guessed it turned into a recruitment thread. Mostly I just left it in the hands of the Powers That Be to move it to the recruitment-area if it was felt necessary.

Sorry then. My mistake. :smallredface:

As this is my first time GM'ing, everything's still a bit loose. Basicly the setting is basic super hero stuff, with super-powered beings having been around for a long time but supers on both sides of most conflicts have resulted in no big changes in history (i.e. yes, there were allied supers in normandy etc but the supers of the reich balanced things out so that the outcome doesn't really differ that much from the history of our world). I admit this is the easy way out, but like I said, I'm new. Besides, I'm intending to give the villainous players pretty much free hands on what they want to (try) to do after a few adventures of bringing everyone into the game. So it's pretty open-ended, with a lot of the gameworld shaped (especially later on) by the players.

Okay, sounds cool.

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 12:25 PM
After all, you have to have somebody tell everyone else what happened.

Exactly. Besides, why would you harm your future subjects? :smallbiggrin:

Pauwel
2007-06-20, 12:33 PM
A thought just entered my mind: What if there's one character who wants to control the world, and another who wants to destroy it?

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 12:36 PM
A thought just entered my mind: What if there's one character who wants to control the world, and another who wants to destroy it?

Then somebody ends up as a crater... :smallamused:

Blackbird
2007-06-20, 12:40 PM
With so many people showing interest, I might have to (unfortunately) turn someone down or the group might get too big for me to handle. Just as a heads up, although I'll be deciding based on finished characters. I'm okay with 4-5 players and I might be willing to give 6 a try but 7 is starting to be too much. Also, nice Blink there Doihaveaname? :smallsmile:

Nyrath
2007-06-20, 12:48 PM
The concept I'm working on would work best RPwise paired with someone else, as the henchman of doom to a villain basically. A magical construct meant to combat magic wielders is basically what I'm piecing together, he needn't have been created by whoever he might pair up with.

Blackbird
2007-06-20, 12:51 PM

That's what you call a 'conflict of interests', something my gut instinct tells me I should avoid if possible, although such destructive characters have their places in any rogues gallery, just as the would-be conquerors of worlds.

You can fight it out, foiling each others plans later on in the game when you people can pull your own capers but for the start I'd prefer for the group to able to function atleast somewhat together.

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 01:07 PM
Well, I have a character written up right now (just the mechanics so far. The backstory comes next). Would you like me the PM you?

Dihan
2007-06-20, 01:08 PM
I'd make some sort of permanent incorporeal character who can walk through walls and possess people. He then uses the victim as a shell until he gets kicked out of the body. Also, because he's incorporeal, he can use mental blast attacks.

Tallis
2007-06-20, 01:09 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun, but I have no experience with the system. What kind of power does PL 10 translate to?

Pauwel
2007-06-20, 01:14 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun, but I have no experience with the system. What kind of power does PL 10 translate to?

It's equivalent to the typical comic book hero. The general consensus is that Spider-Man, Wolverine and the like are all about PL 10.

EDIT: If you go to atomicthinktank.com, the Roll Call section has a lot of write-ups on all sorts of published super-heroes, all in M&M 2e.

Nyrath
2007-06-20, 03:46 PM
One thing I'd like to propose is a slight increase in the power points allowed to help realise the character concepts; Villains tend to have a fair bit of minions/a good HQ/other stuff and still be something of a challenge for the Heroes. Something like ten or twenty points might do it, depends on how difficult people find it realise their concepts.

And I do also propose allowing at least up to two point trade-offs along the attack/DC and defence/toughness balances; it's what's used by the majority of Archetypes after all.

Personally I'm struggling a bit to reduce my speed/agility based Mage Bane; and I've already cut down my Ability expenditure to a mere four points.

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 03:51 PM
One thing I'd like to propose is a slight increase in the power points allowed to help realise the character concepts; Villains tend to have a fair bit of minions/a good HQ/other stuff and still be something of a challenge for the Heroes. Something like ten or twenty points might do it, depends on how difficult people find it realise their concepts.

I dunno. I mean, this game sounds like it's going to be about villains just starting out, and then working their way to the big leagues. An HQ and minions would probably be better off as story rewards (especially seeing as we'd probably end up sharing). But as for extra points? I can dig it!

ravenkith
2007-06-20, 04:00 PM
I'd back the idea of an HQ and minions as things earnable in game, personally.

If anything, a buffer of ten points at most ought to suffice for most overrun.

Anything more than that, and you're talking about PL 11 as opposed to PL10, which kind of defeats the point.

But that's just me.

I'm working on a new concept...I couldn't quite make the other one work in my head.

PsyBlade
2007-06-20, 04:03 PM
Extra Points: Dig it!

Minions: Cubit is his own minions. Ok, I'm only giving him 8 copies of himself AND they're Villainous (re: do not follow Minion rules), but at least they're team players.

Note: I'll be stating up his Arch-Nemesis as a PL 12. Hard to beat on his own, but not too far out of his league, for now.

Green Bean
2007-06-20, 04:11 PM
Extra Points: Dig it!

Minions: Cubit is his own minions. Ok, I'm only giving him 8 copies of himself AND they're Villainous (re: do not follow Minion rules), but at least they're team players.

Note: I'll be stating up his Arch-Nemesis as a PL 12. Hard to beat on his own, but not too far out of his league, for now.

That sounds pretty cool. Are you going for a heroic nemesis, or a villainous rival?

The guy I've written up doesn't have just one nemesis. He has many nemesi...nemesises...nemesice...nemesae. More than one guy wants him dead.

Nyrath
2007-06-20, 04:16 PM
Ten points are fine, I'm currently trimming a fair bit to fit it. Any nemises' that make it into my background will likely have mystical powers or connections; I'm making someone called Mage Bane after all.

And having Minions and HQ as story rewards aren't a problem with me, though I'm going to have character that's more of Henchman to the more ambitious Villains.

ravenkith
2007-06-20, 04:56 PM
This is what I have so far...

TOTAL POINTS AVAILABLE: 150
POINTS SPENT: 32

Character Name: Miles Franklin Cavendish, AKA: 'Toxin'

CONCEPT: Toxin is a capable combatant in his own right, having some martial arts training and knowing how to use guns and rifles, having enlisted in the US army at 18. Beyond this, he was born with the mutant ability to exude pheromones that can, with concentration on Toxin's part, be altered at the chemical level to achieve various effects, from emotion control to complete nullification of superpowers that are not mechanical in origin.

With total mental control of the pheromones, he can even choose who they will effect, and who they will not, including himself.

ATTRIBUTES:
STR:
DEX:
CON:
INT:
WIS:
CHA:

ATT:
DEF:

TOUGH:
FORT:
REF:
WILL:

FEATS:

SKILLS:

POWERS:
Nullify: 10 Ranks
Original Statistics:
Cost:3/r
Effect: Trait
Range: Ranged (10ft/r)
Action: Standard
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Will

Feats (2): Improved Range (2): (10ft/25(1)/50ft(2)/r)
Extras (4): Area (Explosion) (1), Duration (Sustained) (2), Selective Attack (1)
Flaws (4): Range (Touch) (1), Action (Full) (1), Sense Dependent: Smell (1) Limited: Machines Immune (1) Alternate Save: Fort

Modified Statistics:
Pheromones: 10r (Nullify)
Cost: 3/r + 2 (32)
Range: Touch/Burst (50ft/R)
Duration: Sustained
Saving Throw: Fort

Other possible powers include:
Drain
Confuse
Corrode
Dazzle
Emotion Control
Fatigue
Immunity
Nauseate
Paralyze
Stun
Suffocate

My intent is to buy a number of the powers listed as 'alternate powers', so that, while he could nullify a hero's powers, he couldn't do that and control their emotions simultaneously.

I'm considering either an armored opponent (self-contained atmosphere) or a robotic one at this point, but I'm not sure that such a nemesis would not simply be too powerful.

I'd pretty much have to rely on Toxin's ability to manipulate innocents to act as a shield.... :smallconfused:

Oh, that and his high tech body armor he stole from a research group. (not mechanical, just, y'know, protection (impervious at that).

PsyBlade
2007-06-20, 05:00 PM
Here's my Villain: Cubit, not finalized

Power Level: 10 (150 power points)

Abilities: STR 10(+0) DEX 20(+5) CON 10(+0) INT 14(+2) WIS 14(+2) CHA 16(+3)

Skills: Bluff 12 (+15), Diplomacy 12 (+15), Notice 12 (+14), Sense Motive 12 (+14), Stealth 12 (+17)

Feats: Defensive Attack, Elusive Target, Evasion 2, Improved Critical (Strike) 3 [Crit on 17-20], Uncanny Dodge

Powers: Duplication 10 (E:Villainous;PF:Absorbtion Healing,Mental Link,Progression (Subjects,3 Steps, 10 total duplicates),Sacrifice)
Immunity 4 (Aging,Critical Hits,Heat)
Regeneration 19 (Recovery Bonus (+9, always passes recovery checks),Resurrection (Instant, and I mean it, Water nullifies Resurrection [Though the way I read the weakness, it has to be the killing blow]))
Speed 2 Edit: 4
Strike 4 [Claw-like fingernails]

Combat: Attack +3 Defense 20 (Flat-footed: 20) Initiative +5
Grapple: +3 (Attack - +3,Strength - +0,Size - +0)

Saves: Toughness +0 Fortitude +4 Reflex +9 Willpower +6

Lifting: 100 lb.

Complications:
Enemy (ScyBlade)

Cost Summary:
Ability 24 + Skills 15 (60 Ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 65 + Combat 26 + Saves 12 = 150 / 150

Still working on PL 12 ScyBlade. In order to do ScyBlade justice, I am not binding myself to 180points for him, but I'll try to remain within 195.
Edit: An almost ready ScyBlade was sent to Blackbird. From here, I can only give hints on how I imagined him.
I've added 2 points to Speed. Right now, he doesn't need equipment.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-20, 06:38 PM
Hm. It seems Khantalas's M&M game is actually starting in some time period less than a month from now. Who'd have thought? Anyway, that would likely top off my number of games playable, so don't wait up for me.

Green Bean
2007-06-21, 01:22 AM
My guy has vocal based mind powers like so I was thinking:

*Mind Control [12] - DC:22:will
Extra: Area (Explosion)
Extra: Duration (Sustained)
Extra: Conscious
Flaw: Range (Ranged)
Feat: Subtle (2)

AP: Mind Control [12] - DC:22:will

AP: Confusion [12] - DC:22:will
Extra: Selective

AP: Blast [12] - DC:27:tough
Extra: Range (Perception)

Power Loss - [Freq DC 15] [Sev DC 5]
(Cannot use powers when unable to speak)

Blackbird
2007-06-21, 04:34 AM
You don't even have to ask me to take two-point trade-offs in attack/dc and defense/toughness, four's fine as well, although anything after that and I'll have to think about it, especially if you have a low attack/high dc and an area attack or something like that.

I've seen other games give 10 extra equipment points which can be cashed in for 2 extra power points, but like h_v said, you're just starting of right now, you're not Doctor Doom and you don't have you're own criminal organization, yet, because that stuff comes later. HQ's, equipment and mooks will come in as story rewards. No bunus points yet, although I'll have to think about the 10ep/2pp.

Toxin seems fine, just slap on the Alternate Power feats to the nullify, no problem. I agree that the power-suit would be a tough opponent for him, but it'll make victory that much more sweeter, eh? :smallwink: Besides, that's what you have frien.. er, teammates for, right? To beat the tar out of that annoying jerk who put you away so many times.

Cubit seems nasty, I can imagine a frustrated guard dragging him down death row (again!) since the guy just won't stay dead :smallsmile:

H_v, the vocals seems good, you might want to take the Flaw: sense-dependent (auditory) in that the target has to be able to hear him. What's the blast, some kind of sonic scream?

Nyrath, if your character is a construct, have you taken out his con-score? Might add you a few extra points. A mystic guardian or a master of magic sounds good for a nemesis.

Everyone, if you've got something ready, feel free to post it here or PM it to me, either way works for me.

Oh, and Nerd-o-rama, no problem, I'll be seeing you at the Academy.

Nyrath
2007-06-21, 08:19 AM
I've taken out his constitution score, with that gone, and my recent cuts, I'm down to a mere two point expenditure on his Abilities. Though given that I'm currently sitting on thirty-seven points of Feats, and a nice zero in direct combat spending, it should be a bit clear that I'm having to go slightly round-about routes on some parts. If those two ppts for equipment are given I'm only a mere five points from making it though.

As for his background and nemises', I'm including something of a friendly rivalry with a fellow by the name of Gastiz; they like a friendly little fight to the death every now and then given that they're both immortal.

ravenkith
2007-06-21, 08:19 AM
Just seconding the sense dependent flaw: it's delicious!

Nyrath
2007-06-21, 08:29 AM
Managed to scrape by just under the current point limit, opinions welcome. I do realise he's horribly narrow in his combat focus, but then again he's pretty difficult to face for someone that doesn't have impervious toughness, and he's a true killer against minions/mooks.

Mage Bane
Concept: Magical Construct meant to combat Magic users gone renegade.

Current total Ppts: 150

Abilities 2pts
Strength 10
Dexterity 20
Constitution -
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 10
Charisma 10
Lifting capacity (Heavy Load): 200lbs

Saves 2pts
Toughness +8 (impervious)
Fortitude -
Reflex +5
Will +2

Combat 0pts
Attack +0 (+14 with strike)
Defence +12 (0 if denied dodge)
Initiative +21

Skills 24/4=6pts
Acrobatics +18 (13)
Knowledge Arcane Lore +6 (+5)
Notice +3 (3)
Search +4 (3)

Feats 37pts
Accurate Attack
All-out Attack
Defensive Attack
Power Attack
Improved Initiative 4
Ambidexterity
Acrobatic Bluff
Takedown Attack 2
Evasion 2
Eidetic Memory
Fearless
Attack Specialisation Strike 7
Uncanny Dodge 2 (Visual, Auditory)
Dodge Focus 12

Powers 103pts
Immunity 40 (Fortitude, Magic)
Speed 5
Quickness 4
Comprehend 2 (Speak and Understand any Language)
Strike 6 (Autofire 2) (18 pts)
Protection 8
Regeneration 13 (Recovery Bonus +4, True Resurrection 1/day)
Leaping 3

Blackbird
2007-06-21, 08:58 AM
Mage Bane seems very effective, those feats make really versatile in being able to move his focus around from attack do damage to defense, very good. There's something wrong with your regeneration, though. Having a constitution of 0, it'll take 9 ranks of regeneration to get you a +4 recovery bonus, leaving you 4 ranks for the resurrection, which means you get to try a recovery check after 1 hour. You can keep it as is or drop it to 2 ranks of resurrection, freeing up 2 pp. One possibility would be the feat Favored opponent (magic users) to add a little damage when fighting mages and their kind.

ravenkith
2007-06-21, 09:35 AM
Lasting is just an extra, right? I can't find it in the book anywheres....

Nyrath
2007-06-21, 09:55 AM
I'm using the True Resurrection Extra (+1) from Ultimate Power, it simply removes the need for a condition that would permanently kill me. With that in mind it adds up.

Green Bean
2007-06-21, 10:09 AM
H_v, the vocals seems good, you might want to take the Flaw: sense-dependent (auditory) in that the target has to be able to hear him. What's the blast, some kind of sonic scream?

Well, I considered it, but then I realized that the area extra also allows a reflex save. I figured normally sound isn't something you can dodge, so I figured the reflex save for area is for covering their ears. Besides, three saves was probably a bit much. The character's powers are based on the (comic book science) idea that scientists discovered that sound pitched at a certain frequency are indistinguishable from a person's normal thoughts. The Blast is an extension of his power, except instead of messing with other people's brains, it acts as a full body brown note (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note), messing up people's nervous systems and such.

Edit: Character's done, so I figure I should post it...

PL: 10 (150 pp)

ABILITIES:
STR: 10 (0)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 18 (+4)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 18 (+4)
CHA: 20 (+5)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Bluff 15 (+20)
Diplomacy 15 (+20)
Gather Info 8 (+13)
Behavioral Sciences 5 (+6)
Notice 10 (+14)
Oratory 15 (+20)
Sense Motive 10 (+14)

FEATS:
Uncanny Dodge
Dodge Focus (4)
Defensive Roll (3)
Fascinate (1) [Perform: Oratory]
Skill Mastery (1) [Perform: Oratory, Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive]

POWERS:

COMBAT:
Attack 0 [Unarmed +0 (Bruise)]
Defense 22 (14 flat-footed)
Init 3
SAVES:
Toughness 7 (4 flat-footed)
Fortitude 7
Reflex 9
Will 14

DRAWBACKS:

Abilities 34 + Skills 20 (80 ranks) + Feats 10 + Powers 50 + Combat 16 + Saves 21 – Drawbacks -1 = 150 / 150

Unfortunately, I'm stuck on a name. Any suggestions?

ravenkith
2007-06-21, 10:18 AM
Well, I considered it, but then I realized that the area extra also allows a reflex save. I figured normally sound isn't something you can dodge, so I figured the reflex save for area is for covering their ears. Besides, three saves was probably a bit much. The character's powers are based on the (comic book science) idea that scientists discovered that sound pitched at a certain frequency are indistinguishable from a person's normal thoughts. The Blast is an extension of his power, except instead of messing with other people's brains, it acts as a full body brown note (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note), messing up people's nervous systems and such.

Edit: Character's done, so I figure I should post it...

PL: 10 (150 pp)

ABILITIES:
CHA: 20 (+5)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Bluff 15 (+20)
Diplomacy 15 (+20)
Gather Info 8 (+13)
Notice 10 (+14)
Oratory 15 (+20)
Sense Motive 10 (+14)

FEATS:
Uncanny Dodge
Dodge Focus (4)
Defensive Roll (3)
Fascinate (1) [Perform: Oratory]
Skill Mastery (1) [Perform: Oratory, Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive]

POWERS:

COMBAT:
Attack 0 [Unarmed +0 (Bruise)]
Init 3
SAVES:
Fortitude 7
Reflex 9
Will 14

DRAWBACKS:

Abilities 34 + Skills 20 (80 ranks) + Feats 10 + Powers 50 + Combat 16 + Saves 21 – Drawbacks -1 = 150 / 150

Unfortunately, I'm stuck on a name. Any suggestions?

What else? Jericho.

Blackbird
2007-06-21, 11:29 AM
Ravenkith, I can't find anything about it being an extra or a power feat in the core book, but I don't know about ultimate power. If you can't find anything to the contrary then I'll go with the core book and say it's an effect certain powers have and others don't that can't be added on or removed from powers.

Nyrath: Yeah, I've heard about that extra. Haven't got ultimate power but the extra's fine.

You're right about that H_v, hadn't thought of that. Heh, brown note. Reminds me of an episode of Myth Busters. Sure, it's fine. However, you've spent 53 points on powers, as the primary power adds up to 50 pp and with the three alternate power feats it adds up to 53 pp. Otherwise he seems fine.

Alright, so I've decided to go with the extra points. Everyone gets 10 extra equipment points they can cash in for 2 extra power points at a rate of 5 ep/1 pp, so you can take 5 eps and 1 pp if you want to as well.

ravenkith
2007-06-21, 11:48 AM
and so....

Crunch:

TOTAL POINTS AVAILABLE: 150
POINTS SPENT: 150
POINTS REMAINING: 0 + 2

Ethnicity: Caucasian, Build: Toned

ATTRIBUTES:[86]

STR: 10 (+0)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 16 (+3)

ATT: +5 [10]
DEF: +10 [20]

TOUGH: +14 (10 + 4)
FORT: +14 ([10] + 4)
REF: +13 ([10] + 3)
WILL: +13 ([10] + 3)

FEATS: [6]

Connected (Diplomacy)
Contacts (Gather Information)
Eidetic Memory
Hide In Plain Sight (Stealth)
Jack Of All Trades
Well-Informed

SKILLS: [20]

10 (7 + 3) = Bluff [7]
14 (10 + 4) = Concentration [10]
13 (10 + 3) = Disguise [10]
12 (9 + 3) = Gather Information [9]
13 (10 + 3) = Notice [10]
12 (9 + 3) = Perform (Actor) [9]
5 (5 + 0) = Search [5]
8 (5 + 3) = Sense Motive [5]
18 (15 + 3) = Stealth [15]

POWERS: [38]

Power Array: Pheromones [25]

*Primary Power (Pheromones): Nullify: 10 Ranks
Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats (5): Subtle (1), Alternate Powers (4)
Extras (3): Area (Explosion) (1), Duration (Sustained) (2)
Flaws (4): Range (Touch) (1), Action (Full) (1), Sense Dependent: Smell (1) Limited: Machines Immune (1) Alternate Save: Fort

Modified Statistics:
Pheromones (Nullify): 10r
Cost: 2/r + 5 (25)
Range: Touch/Explosion (10ft/R)

*Alternate Power (Pheromones): Corrode: 10r
Original Statistics:

Cost: 2/r
Effect: Attack
Range: Touch
Saving Throw: Fort/Tough

Modifications:

Feats (1): Subtle
Extras (2): Area (Explosion) (1), Duration (Concentration) (1),
Flaws (2): Action (Full) (1), Tiring (1)

Modified Statistics:
Pheromones (Corrosive): 10r
Cost: 2/r + 1 = 21
Range: Touch/Explosion (10ft/r)
Action: Full
Duration: Concentration

*Alternate Power (Pheromones): Emotion Control: 10r
Original Statistics:

Effect: Mental
Range: Ranged
Duration: Sustained (Lasting)
Save: Will

Modifications:

Extras (2): Area (Explosion) (1), Selective Attack (1)
Flaws (4): Range (Touch) (1), Action (Full) (1), Sense Dependent: Smell (1) Limited: Machines Immune (1)

Modified Statistics:
Pheromones (Emotion): 10r
Cost: 1/2 + 3 = 8

*Alternate Power (Pheromones): Fatigue: 10r
Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Extras (3): Area (Explosion) (1), Duration (Sustained) (2),
Flaws (3): Action (Full) (1), Sense Dependent: Smell (1) Limited: Machines Immune (1)

Modified Statistics:
Pheromones (Fatigue): 10r

*Alternate Power (Pheromones): Nauseate: 10r
Original Statistics:

Duration: Instant (Lasting)

Modifications:

Flaws (3): Action (Full) (1), Sense Dependent: Smell (1) Limited: Machines Immune (1)

Modified Statistics:
Pheromones (Nauseating): 10r
Cost: 2/r+1 = 21

Immunity (Own Powers) [1]

Cost: 1/r = 1
Effect: Defense
Range: Personal
Action: Reaction
Duration: Permanent

Device: Belt: Energy Sheath: 3r [12]

Original Statistics:
Cost: 4/r
Effect: General
Duration: Permanent (Innate)

Modifications:
Feats:
Extras:
Flaws :

Modified Statistics:

Onboard Power Array: [14]

*Alternate (Dynamic) Power: Forcefield : 10r [2]

Original Statistics:

Cost: 1/r
Action: Free

Modifications:

Feats (2): Selective (1), Subtle (1)
Extras (1): Impervious (1), Duration (Continuous) (1)
Flaws (3): Action (Full) (3)

Modified Statistics:
Cost: 1/2r + 2 = 7
Duration: Continuous

*Primary Power: Flight: 10r [10]

Original Statistics:

Effect: Movement
Action: Move

Modifications:

Feats:
Extras:
Flaws (1): Limited: Not useable underwater (1)

Modified Statistics:
Cost: 1/r =10

*Alternate (Dynamic) Power: Blast: 10r [2]

Original Statistics:

Saving Throw: Tough

Modifications:

Feats (2): Alternate Power (1), Dynamic Power (1)
Extras:

Modified Statistics:
Cost: 1/r = 10

Morph: 2 R: [1]

Original Statistics:

Cost: 2/r (Humanoid Appearances)
Effect: Alteration

Modifications:

Feats:
Extras (1): Duration (Continuos) (1)

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1/2r
Effect: Alteration

the crunch is complete.

Gaze in awe at it's terrifying capabilities. ;)

Nyrath
2007-06-22, 06:58 AM
Raven's build is in several ways terrifying, not the least the manner in which he's forgotten that he breaks the legal limit with his Defence/Toughness. 10/14 simply isn't possible while at PL 10, 10/10 or 6/14 and such is possible but not that which Toxin apparently has. Other than that he looks quite good, that Flight 10 isn't something to scoff at, especially when combined with his other powers.

ravenkith
2007-06-22, 08:28 AM
The total he has is a 14. He can't use more than a 10 at any one time, though.

The number simply reflects that his con and forcefield would combine to make a 14, if it weren't limited to a ten.

It was my understanding that you can have a higher toughness save, you just can't benefit from it....

I wanted him to be pretty tough without the belt, but the belt just makes him that much worse, if you know what I mean, making him capable of ignoring most normal threats.

If it's a problem, I'll just redistribute the con points, probably 4 in fort, and 4 somewhere else.

As to his powers, Menh.

He can't run the flight, blast, and field simultaneously at max strength.

He can run field 9 and flight 1, or field 1 and flight 9, for that matter, or even flight 10 and field 0.

But the ranks in that power array are split amongst each other.

He also can't run more than one set of pheromones at a time....

He also can't affect anyone over a hundred feet away with those. The further away from him you get, the weaker the effect of the pheromones is, too. Not that any of that's common knowledge, of course, at this point in his career.

He's got advantages, and disadvantages, and some true weaknesses that can be abused, once people find out about them.

I've a background in mind, but I'll not type that up until the game begins actively recruiting.

Blackbird
2007-06-22, 09:25 AM
Thanks for pointing that out Nyrath, I just checked through the character and overlooked that completely. You're going to have to lower either the defense, the con or the forcefield. And you've still got the extra 2pp/10ep to spend.

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-22, 09:35 AM
Ooo. This is tempting. I have two character concepts from other things that could work very well for this. They're more Anti Hero's then villains really, but a lot of the 'bad guys' often end up like that (go Magneto!)

The first needs a name revision, Lord X. The guy has no powers, but fights with smarts. Not so much Deus Ex Machina on the science, the guy is good with machines and computers. That's it. But he gets maximum use of this and has others fill in the gaps of knowledge. He creates elaborate pranks, really terrorism. This is as much because he is bored as it is that he hates the stiffling establishment. The main reason why he is considered a villain is that he did not fill out the paper work for his weapons of mass destruction.

I had a character Workatron which I made in city of Heros. He was a Communist Robot. Over the top, and hilarious. (Yelled out his attacks like "Hammer of the People!" and "Flames of the Revolution!" these were not their real names, but they would have been if I had any choice in the matter). Now, technically this character works better as a vigilante Super Hero. Well he does certainly wish to crush the capitalist pigs, he's also the sort of Communist Robot who would put out fires, even the ones that he didn't accidentally set when the "flames of the revolution" missed.

I've thought a bit about the setting that was coming together, and that I could make it a bit less of a joke and a bit more social commentary. I also realized that unintentionally the two characters have a pretty good dynamic. Lord X is a capitalist. He is certainly not as bad as the rest of the establishment, but he has money, and influence. A bit like how the mafia has money and influence. Both characters however hate authority, and want to do the right thing for the people. So, at one point they might be adversaries, and at another temporary allies.

That got pretty off topic there, but it seemed like something worth mentioning since I had both characters there.

I could also come up with COMPLETELY ridiculous characters too. Just the other day was "The Ugly Bug" He's a guy who kind of looks like a bug. His signature move is the Ugly Bug Hug. That's all the detail the character has. And all it should.

As far as disposable villains go, Dr. Lemon. A very, very low level bad guy. He has a small group of thugs, the Citrus Squad. Completely useless and they tend to literally get the stuffing beaten out of them. See, the guy can't afford to do something as simple as actually make suits that are giant pieces of fruit. It's a super hero setting, making big pieces of should fruit is easy!

I don't have any of the books though, alas.

Green Bean
2007-06-22, 10:55 AM
Here's my new and improved villain. Raven, I'm not sure I got the Jericho reference, but it sounds nice, so it might just work.

PL: 10 (152 pp)

ABILITIES:

CHA: 24 (+7)

SKILLS:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Bluff 15 (+22)
Computers 1 (+2)
Diplomacy 15 (+22)
Disguise 10 (+17)
Drive 4 (+7)
Gather Info 8 (+15), Handle
Notice 11 (+15)
Oratory 15 (+22)
Sense Motive 15 (+19)

FEATS:
Uncanny Dodge
Dodge Focus (4)
Defensive Roll (3)
Fascinate (2)
Skill Mastery (1)
Equipment (1) [Cellphone, PDA, 3 Flash Bang grenades)
Assessment

POWERS:
*Mind Control [12] - DC:22:will,
Flaw: Range (Touch)
AP: Vibration Control[12] - DC:27:tough

COMBAT:
Attack 0
Init 3

SAVES:
Fortitude 7
Reflex 9
Will 14

DRAWBACKS:

Abilities 38 + Skills 26 (101 ranks) + Feats 13 + Powers 41 + Combat 16 + Saves 19 – Drawbacks -1 = 152 / 152

I was reading up on area extras, and it turned out I should have taken another ranged flaw to get the whole 'blast centred on me' effect. This freed up about 12 points, which I used to pump up abilities and skills. Also, Blast became Vibration Control. They're functionally identical, but the flavour worked better.

Pauwel
2007-06-22, 11:11 AM
Here's my new and improved villain. Raven, I'm not sure I got the Jericho reference, but it sounds nice, so it might just work.

ABILITIES:

SKILLS:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Bluff 15 (+22)
Computers 1 (+2)
Diplomacy 15 (+22)
Disguise 10 (+17)
Drive 4 (+7)
Notice 11 (+15)
Oratory 15 (+22)
Sense Motive 15 (+19)

FEATS:
Uncanny Dodge
Dodge Focus (4)
Defensive Roll (3)
Fascinate (2)
Skill Mastery (1)
Equipment (1) [Cellphone, PDA, 3 Flash Bang grenades)
Assessment

POWERS:
AP: Vibration Control[12] - DC:27:tough

COMBAT:
Attack 0
Init 3

SAVES:
Fortitude 7
Reflex 9
Will 14

DRAWBACKS:

Abilities 38 + Skills 26 (101 ranks) + Feats 13 + Powers 41 + Combat 16 + Saves 19 – Drawbacks -1 = 152 / 152

I was reading up on area extras, and it turned out I should have taken another ranged flaw to get the whole 'blast centred on me' effect. This freed up about 12 points, which I used to pump up abilities and skills. Also, Blast became Vibration Control. They're functionally identical, but the flavour worked better.

A note on the Area effect with Touch range: You do know that it's possible to avoid Mind Control effect with a Reflex save, right?

Green Bean
2007-06-22, 11:36 AM
A note on the Area effect with Touch range: You do know that it's possible to avoid Mind Control effect with a Reflex save, right?

Of course. The power's sonic based, so the area reflex save gives opponents the ability to cover their ears. It's sort of the 'sense-dependant' flaw with a twist

ravenkith
2007-06-22, 12:56 PM
Nuts. I was really hoping not to have a toughness 0 when walking around without the forcefield on.

Is there anyway we can just let it go...? I'll roll it only as a plus ten...it's just that, if I set my field to 6, I'll still have a ten tough, rather than a 6 tough this way....and, as I said, I'm not stuck with tough 0 when not using the field.

After all, what does it matter if I spend the points on it, as long as I don't get an over-the allowed benefit on a save???

It's like buying a power at level 15 when the dc is limited to level 10...you can really only use ten ranks of it at a time.

Oh, and FYI, 'Jericho' is a bilical reference. It's the name of a city that was brought low with the blowing of seven trumpets, and an armies worth of voices.

From Wiki:

"After crossing the Jordan, Joshua led the Israelites into Canaan where they laid siege to the city of Jericho. The Lord spoke to Joshua telling him to march around the city once every day for six days with the seven priests carrying trumpets in front of the ark. On the seventh day they were to march around the city seven times and the priests were to blow their trumpets. This Joshua did, and he commanded his people not to give a war-cry until he told them to do so. On the seventh day, after marching around the city the seventh time, the priests sounded their trumpets, and Joshua ordered the people to shout. The walls of the city collapsed, and the Israelites were able to charge straight into the city. The city was completely destroyed, and every man, woman, and child in it was killed."

Beleriphon
2007-06-22, 03:12 PM
Nuts. I was really hoping not to have a toughness 0 when walking around without the forcefield on.

Is there anyway we can just let it go...? I'll roll it only as a plus ten...it's just that, if I set my field to 6, I'll still have a ten tough, rather than a 6 tough this way....and, as I said, I'm not stuck with tough 0 when not using the field.

After all, what does it matter if I spend the points on it, as long as I don't get an over-the allowed benefit on a save???

Yes it does matter. The reason being that you have the benefit of +10 toughness save, but the power that provides that is much harder to drain. In effect you have to drain all of the extra ranks before you can actually cause the character a problem. Its not fair, and thus not allowed by the rules.

Imagine buying Blast 20, you spent the points but are limited to only using 10 ranks of that at any given time. When Draino the hero stomper comes along his drain effect nigh worthless since he basically has to drain 11 ranks of the Blast power to make it a Blast 9, instead of having to drain 1 rank.

I the long run just remember the exact source of you bonus to toughness is largely irrelevant, outside of certain limited situations. The important part of the bonus is the total, not how you got there. Thus why M&M is an effects based system, the rules are more concerned are with the end result rather than how you got there, leaving the how and why up the player and GM.

ravenkith
2007-06-22, 03:34 PM
Mm.

That's a very good point.

Still, it's eight points to redistribute.

Half of which'll probably go to fort....

but the other four I have to think about...

Beleriphon
2007-06-22, 03:38 PM
Mm.

That's a very good point.

Still, it's eight points to redistribute.

Half of which'll probably go to fort....

but the other four I have to think about...

If you take 6 of the 8 and make the force field impervious you'll have a +10 Toughness save where +6 of that is impervious making you effectively immune to small arms fire (not counting power attack and the like).

ravenkith
2007-06-22, 03:42 PM
??? the entire thing's already impervious.

Reposting (Work In Progress):
and so....

Crunch:

TOTAL POINTS AVAILABLE: 150+2
POINTS SPENT: 148
POINTS REMAINING: 2+2

ATTRIBUTES:[68]

CON: 10 (+0)

DEF: +10 ([10]+5)

TOUGH: +10 (10 + 0)
FORT: +12 ([12] + 0)
REF: +12 ([9] + 3)
WILL: +12 ([9] + 3)

FEATS: [5]

Connected (Diplomacy)
Eidetic Memory
Jack Of All Trades
Well-Informed

SKILLS: [18]

10 (7 + 3) = Bluff [7]
10 (10 + 0) = Concentration [10]
10 (7 + 3) = Diplomacy [7]
10 (7 + 3) = Gather Information [7]
12 (10 + 3) = Notice [9]
10 (7 + 3) = Perform (Actor) [7]
5 (5 + 0) = Search [5]

POWERS: [61]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Flaws (4): Range (Touch) (1), Action (Full) (1), Sense Dependent: Smell (1) Limited: Machines Immune (1)

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Device: Belt: Energy Sheath: 9r [36]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats:
Extras:
Flaws :

Modified Statistics:

Onboard Power Array: [12]

*Primary Power: Flight: 10r [10]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats:
Extras:

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1/r =10

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Extras:

Modified Statistics:

Forcefield : 10r [12]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:
Cost: 1r + 2 = 12
Effect: Defense (Impervious)

Total Concealment: All Senses Except Touch: 10R: [6]

Original Statistics:

Cost: 2/r (All senses)
Effect: Sensory

Modifications:

Feats(1): Close Range (1)
Extras (1): Duration (Continuous) (1)

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1/2r + 1

Immunity: 10R: [10]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats (0):
Extras (0):
Flaws (0):

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1r =10
Life Support (9), Own Powers (1)

Shield: 5R: [5]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats (0):
Flaws (1): Action (Move) (1)

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1r = 5

If I say so myself, this build is much better than the last one, very tight.

I'm not sure I could squeeze any more out of it...

Especially seeing as how the forcefield (all 10 impervious ranks of it) is now independent from the dtnamic power array, and continuous to boot.

I added total concealment to all senses but touch, so I dropped HiPS. In theory, I could drop stealth ranks too, but I chose not to.

Immune to a slew of environmental effects (and suffocation) thanks to Life Support, and now packing an optional force-shield, this character is crazier than ever.

Whew!

Have a good look, boys (& gals)....

Blackbird
2007-06-23, 08:20 AM
Those of you who don't own the rulebook go here (www.mutantsandmasterminds.com) and download the beginner's guide. It doesn't contain the powers but it'll familiarize you with the rules and it's free to download for today (23rd).

H_v, you've got 3 unspent skillranks, but the bigger problems are your powers and defense. Defense bonus costs 2 pp/+1 bonus. The base power in your array costs 36 pp (3 pp/rank), where as the non-explosion mind control costs 48 pp (4 pp/rank). I'd suggest giving the alternate power the sense-dependent flaw to bring it down to 3 pp/rank.

I'll get to your build later Ravenkith but now, ice cream :smallsmile:

Green Bean
2007-06-23, 08:33 AM
Those of you who don't own the rulebook go here (www.mutantsandmasterminds.com) and download the beginner's guide. It doesn't contain the powers but it'll familiarize you with the rules and it's free to download for today (23rd).

H_v, you've got 3 unspent skillranks, but the bigger problems are your powers and defense. Defense bonus costs 2 pp/+1 bonus. The base power in your array costs 36 pp (3 pp/rank), where as the non-explosion mind control costs 48 pp (4 pp/rank). I'd suggest giving the alternate power the sense-dependent flaw to bring it down to 3 pp/rank.

I'll get to your build later Ravenkith but now, ice cream :smallsmile:

It should be fixed now. To save time, here's what I changed;

Non-explosion Mind Control now sense dependant
unspent skill ranks put in Drive
Defence bonus clarified
Added in Subtle power feat (was accounted in cost but not on sheet)

Anyhoo, here's the whole sheet.

ABILITIES:

SKILLS:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Bluff 15 (+22)
Computers 1 (+2)
Diplomacy 15 (+22)
Disguise 10 (+17)
Drive 7 (+10)
Notice 11 (+15)
Oratory 15 (+22)
Sense Motive 15 (+19)

FEATS:
Uncanny Dodge
Dodge Focus (4)
Defensive Roll (3)
Fascinate (2)
Skill Mastery (1)
Equipment (1) [cellphone, PDA, Laptop, 2 flash-bang grenades]
Assessment

POWERS:
Flaw: Sense Dependant (hearing)

COMBAT:
Attack 0
Defense 22 (14 flat-footed) [10 base+8 bonus+4 dodge focus]
Init 3

SAVES:
Fortitude 7
Reflex 9
Will 14

DRAWBACKS:

Blackbird
2007-06-23, 11:06 AM
Alright, so the beginner's guide doesn't contain as much stuff as I thought it would, I downloaded it anyway. Still, I'd suggest that you downloaded it to familiarize yourself with the basics of the rules in it, Ghal Marak.

H_v, you seem to be fine now, the sheet is looking good.

Ravenkith, Toxic looks good, except that for the Flight/Blast in the Energy Sheath. The dynamic alternate power functions so that you either need another dynamic alternate power for you to be able to move points around, or you need to buy an additional alternate power feat rank for the main power (flight) for you to be able to move around the points on the two powers.

Somebody help the new guy out a bit? I don't need to open an official recruitment-thread, do I? Because I was thinking of closing recruitment and going with the people I've got now, although I might have to drop one or two people as is but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Or heck, I guess I could just post a recruitment thread for all of you still interested and possessing a character to post 'em there where I'd narrow down the party if need be before making OOC- and IC-threads.

Green Bean
2007-06-23, 11:40 AM
I'd be happy to whip up a character for those who don't have the books. Just tell me what you want him or her to be able to do, and I'll try to pull it off.

Green Bean
2007-06-23, 04:16 PM
Forgive the double post, but I finally finished the backstory. At 800 words, it's probably about 750 words too many, but it was fun to write, so nyah!

History

Sound waves are powerful tools. Pitched at the right frequency, they can burst eardrums, shatter glass, and reduce buildings to rubble. In 1992, a team of government scientists known as The Syndicate discovered a frequency range that was pitched along the same wavelength as brain activity. Theoretically, a message transmitted along these frequencies was totally indistinguishable from normal thought. With it, they could scramble brains, change thought patterns, even outright control minds. The military was highly interested in this technology, and sponsored an attempt to develop it. The team’s initial efforts proved futile. Building something capable of transmitting a coherent message failed; the process required instinctive control that an artificial intelligence could not duplicate, and mechanical emitters scrambled their own circuits after only a few tests.
The Syndicate concluded that only the only way to fully control the sonic waves was to somehow create a biological emitter. Discarding their scientific ethics, the group created a combination of radical internal surgery and genetic manipulations, allowing an ordinary person to use what they had dubbed ‘psisonic abilities’. The process was tested on several blank-slate clones, but ultimately failed as prolonged exposure caused their brains to literally liquefy. After several years of setbacks, The Syndicate was ready to give up until a junior researcher realized that what they needed was someone whose brain activity was on a unique frequency, one which would allow someone to safely utilize psisonic abilities.
Lionel Jefferson was an ordinary government employee, doing psychological work for the State Department. His life took a turn for the worse when he signed up for a free comprehensive neural exam offered at his office. The examination, secretly administered by The Syndicate through its government contacts, was in actuality designed to track down a test subject for the project. Unfortunately, Lionel matched the profile, and a week after he took the test, he was abducted from his home, and was subjected to involuntary experimentations.
Two weeks later, Jefferson emerged from the process a changed man. His throat had been profoundly modified, containing two separate sets of vocal chords, one for verbal, and another for psisonic. His brain had been altered to give him instinctive control over his new ‘voice’. His senses were altered, giving him the ability to instantly perceive the frequency a person’s mind and body operate on. His physical abilities were also increased, making him tougher and more agile. As well, his genes had been heavily tailored to prevent his body from rejecting the changed. But most importantly, his mind had been warped by the process changing his personality from that of an introverted government clerk into a cheery and sociable sociopath. The Syndicate began training him, both in his powers and in a special defensive fighting style. However, after only a few months, the military caught wind of the scientists’ gross breach of ethics, and shut down the project, but not before those involved purged all records of Lionel Jefferson. The army arrested those involved and released Jefferson, not knowing the extent to which his body and mind had been warped. The Syndicate languished in a high security military prison until an unknown force broke them out. Wherever they are, they are likely working to recapture Lionel, and to finish what they started.
Unleashed on an unknowing world, Lionel dubbed himself Jericho, and began planning his new, far more illegal career.

Appearance

Jericho appears to be an average looking Caucasian male. He has few defining features; no moles or scars or beard. In reality, Jericho has taken a great deal of care to appear this way, going so far as to have limited cosmetic surgery to remove some of his few identifying features. He seldom wears a costume, preferring to use a different disguise for each of his crimes.

Powers

Jericho’s power lies in his second set of vocal chords. He has the ability to project sound waves indistinguishable from human thought, allowing him to control minds. He can either project his second voice along all frequencies of the psisonic band, affecting everyone around him, or isolate an individual frequency, allowing him to selectively control a single person. As well, he can broadcast a command capable of scrambling the brains of those around him. Because the command involved is simpler than outright control, he can actively exclude others from the effect. Finally, if his mental games fail, Jericho can project a low-frequency blast at the resonant frequency of a person or object. To bystanders, this sounds like a foghorn; to the target, it’s like being stuck in a paint mixer. Jericho’s preferred modus operandi is to approach a target openly, using his natural charm and wit to win them over before applying his mind control powers. Since his psisonic waves are undetectable, the end result is to blur the line between ‘favour for a friend’, and ‘criminal act’.

For those who don't feel like wading through the whole thing; rogue government agency, guy kidnapped, given powers, freed, turns to crime.

ravenkith
2007-06-23, 08:36 PM
Ok, I think this does it.

and so....

Crunch:

TOTAL POINTS AVAILABLE: 150+2
POINTS SPENT: 148
POINTS REMAINING: 2+2

ATTRIBUTES:[66]

CON: 10 (+0)

DEF: +10 ([8]+6)

TOUGH: +10 (10 + 0)
FORT: +12 ([12] + 0)
REF: +12 ([9] + 3)
WILL: +12 ([9] + 3)

FEATS: [7]

Connected (Diplomacy)
Distract (Bluff)
Eidetic Memory
Jack Of All Trades
Well-Informed
Uncanny Dodge

SKILLS: [18]

10 (7 + 3) = Bluff [7]
10 (10 + 0) = Concentration [10]
10 (7 + 3) = Diplomacy [7]
10 (7 + 3) = Gather Information [7]
12 (10 + 3) = Notice [9]
10 (7 + 3) = Perform (Actor) [7]
5 (5 + 0) = Search [5]

POWERS: [61]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:

Device: Belt: Energy Sheath: 9r [36]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats:
Extras:
Flaws :

Modified Statistics:

Onboard Power Array: [14]

*Primary (Dynamic) Power: Flight: 10r [12]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats:
Extras: Alternate (Dynamic) Power (2)

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1/r+2 =12

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Extras:

Modified Statistics:

Forcefield : 10r [12]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Modified Statistics:
Cost: 1r + 2 = 12
Effect: Defense (Impervious)

Total Concealment: All Senses Except Touch: 10R: [6]

Original Statistics:

Cost: 2/r (All senses)

Modifications:

Feats(1): Close Range (1)

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1/2r + 1

Immunity: 10R: [10]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats (0):
Extras (0):
Flaws (0):

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1r =10
Life Support (9), Own Powers (1)

Shield: 6R: [3]

Original Statistics:

Modifications:

Feats (0):
Flaws (1): Action (Standard) (2)

Modified Statistics:

Cost: 1/2r = 3

Can't believe I missed the dynamic thing earlier.

Wracked my brain, moved some points around and cheapened up the shield efffect by making it a standard action to engage it.

This set it at 1 point for two ranks, so i dropped it from five points spent to just three, and dropped the other two in the flight power to make it dynamic with the blast, which was the original effect I was going for.

Of course, this pushed my defense bonus to 11, so I had to drop two points out of defense to make it all nice and legal, but that left me with two points to spend.

Ended up taking the feats uncanny dodge (which makes it harder for me to lose access to the shield bonus), and distract (bluff).

I kind of like the idea of running my fatigue pheromones and distracting people until they fall asleep ;)

Ghal Marak
2007-06-23, 11:20 PM
Hmm... hey Blackbird, the link you provided does not work. I think that Mutants and Masterminds website is down, because I couldn't log into it's forums earlier today. They sure are having a lot of problems recently. :smallfrown: I hope it's nothing major.

Blackbird
2007-06-24, 09:10 AM
Yeah, Mutants and masterminds seems to have had a lot of trouble with their forum lately. I'll try to see what I can do to get you the pdf. I'll get back to you on it soon.

Blackbird
2007-06-25, 09:24 AM
Toxin looks good now Ravenkith, as does Jericho's background H_v. Ghal Marak, I've sent you the pdf's.

Also, something that I forgot to mention earlier about background, nothing major. The game will begin with each of you trying to rob a bank in city on the East Coast of USA. Working in ones, twos or threes, it's up to you but you're all generally unaware of each others plans.

Green Bean
2007-06-25, 10:14 AM
Sweet, team-up bank robbery! Hey Psyblade, I could use a meatshield teammate with a low will save excellent combat prowess. Wanna partner up?

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 11:36 AM
The background I'm coming up with for my villain is...pretty dark. Also emo.

Just, you know, warning you.

Miles Franklin Cavendish III was born the only child in his upper-middle-class family. Shortly after his birth, his mother experienced severe problems with
her uterus, and as a result, was forced to have a hysterectomy.

There would be no more blood-children for Miles Jr. and his bride, Melissa. The two new parents lavished their attention on their son, giving him everything he could ever want or need. They made excuses for his bad behavior as he grew older, refusing to acknowledge his spoiled nature, and that their child was growing up with no knowledge of compromise or sacrifice.

Miles III was not an unhappy child, but always restless. With no boundaries in place, he was constantly in search of something, but not knowing what. He tested and pushed at what was allowed, and found no limits. From a young age, he learned that he could get away with anything, and aside from a passing interest in sports, everything else suffered.

Academically, Miles never did more than scrape by, doing just enough to continue on, but never enough to stand out, despite all the advantages he’d been given, chiefly, attending the best private schools from day one.

Socially, Miles III never really had any friends, and was more of a loner. An outsider looking in, he didn’t bother to learn much about others except how to manipulate them. Denied the physical size and strength to become a bully, he became proficient at lying and telling others what they wanted to hear.

By the age of thirteen, he was already a criminal case looking for a court to happen in. What happened next just amplified his anti-social outlook.

Miles Franklin Cavendish III, thirteen, was coming home after a hard day at school. He’d been trying to make the soccer team lately, just to see if he could. His natural reflexes and stamina should have made him a good player, and with his ability to turn on the charm, and the way the school treated jocks, he could have it made. He’d already been caching the eye of certain girls in his class, and a place as captain of the soccer team could have made him a god.

Dirty, tired, and disgruntled at a poor performance, compared to some of the other boys, Frankie, as he’d taken to calling himself, was lost in thought about exactly what he’d like to do to some of the cheerleaders that had been practicing on the next field over. He never saw it coming. His father, frothing at the mouth, had come in from the next room and tackled the boy to the ground, and was ripping the boy’s clothes off. Frankie fought back, screaming for help.

Melissa came in, and Frankie thought he’d been saved, but his mother just joined his father in stripping him. The two of them proceeded to do things that no parent should ever do to their child. Exhausted now, naked and bruised and bleeding from scratches and grabs, the sobbing boy was filled with a sense of rage and anger, at his parents, at himself. Confused, the bedrock of his world eroding from under him, all of a sudden, in the middle of what had been turning into a proper little orgy, his parents started ripping each other apart.

Frankie took advantage of the situation to crawl away. He made his way to the bathroom, and locked himself in, then turned on the shower, cowering in the corner, terrified. A few minutes later, the house went perfectly quiet.

When Frankie, much later, came out of the bathroom, all shriveled like a prune, and scraped raw from the repeated cleansing of his body, he came across a terrible scene. His mother lay dead, and his father was sitting in a corner, rocking back and forth in abject horror. The man had cracked utterly.

Frankie called his grandfather. After telling him, through tears, what had happened, Frankie was forced to listen to his only living relative, other than his father, die of a heart attack over the phone.

Frankie called the police.

The men in blue came, examined the scene, and asked Frankie if he had any relatives they could call to come for him. Frankie shook his head no.
“I called my grandfather and told him what happened. I think he’s dead,” was all he could get out.

The police called CPS, and Frankie went into a foster home. For the next five years, filled with a self-loathing that was echoed in the world around him, he shuffled from foster family to foster family, never getting along, always a source of friction, no matter where he went.

It was in this time that Frankie became an actor. When he was pretending to be someone else, he could start to believe he was, and get past his self-loathing…acting let him be happy again, for a time, and the audience always reveled in it, or so it seemed. The moment he stepped off the stage, and went back to being Frankie, the love always turned to hate.

It was while in the foster system that he learned the value of finding out other people’s secrets, and how to leverage those secrets to get what he wanted. The seventh family he lived with, he managed to get some dirt on the old man, who was shtupping one of the girls in his care. Frankie used it to stay in one place for a while. He worked hard, and graduated high school with a high enough GPA that he had a shot at going to college.

Frankie, a ward of the state, had little trouble getting funding from the government, and less getting accepted to a college out of state. Not even thinking twice, he took the money and got the hell out of there. From day one, he pretended he was someone else. He played a part, and made up a different past, and after a while, he even believed his own lies.

Whatever it was, the world loved him once again, and he came to accept that he had started over. He found a girl who liked the kind of rough sex that was the only way he could get it up. He stayed in the college dorms, and was a popular guy. He made a lot of friends, and got involved with a lot of campus groups, including a fraternity. He was invited to join the Freemasons, and accepted. He went out for sports, and got put on the college baseball side as a backup, first time out. Everybody wanted to be his friend.

Everything was going fine.

Right up until the bank robbery.

That day, Frankie went to deposit his government check, and go in line like anybody else. He was happy, and he was content. Everyone seemed like it was a sunshiney day for them, too.

Until the men in masks came. With guns. Big black guns, shotguns and pistols. One of them clubbed Frankie in the face. The boy went down, hard, fear overcoming him completely. One at a time, in a circle spreading out from him, everybody in the bank lost control of their bowels. Including the robbers.

Frankie saw it. He thought back, over the years, with his nigh perfect recall, to the very first day, he remembered weird stuff like that happening. In that instant, he figured out that everybody around him had been feeling what he was feeling.

It was a little exciting to know that the fear you felt, that you could barely handle, inspired pants-****ting terror in others. The novelty wore off as the smell hit him, even as everybody else in the bank cowered in fear. Frankie got up, and took the guns off the bank robbers, who didn’t even resist.

He was hailed as a hero. There was no reward, just his name in the paper.

Frankie decided he liked reading about himself, and knowing that other people were reading it, too.

Powered individuals had been springing up left and right. It wasn’t really new. At 19 years of age, Frankie began experimenting with what, he was sure, were his long-possessed, but newly-recognized, powers. He learned very quickly that he himself was not immune to the effects of his own powers, and figured out that his five-year journey of hatred, anger, and self-loathing had been primarily self-inflicted.

After using his powers to stop a couple of minor crimes, and scanning the papers for his name proved fruitless, Frankie came across an article in the paper about a new experimental belt being developed by a researcher at the university. Supposedly, this belt could theoretically revolutionize all sorts of industries, from police work to space exploration. Most interestingly, it provided a great deal of protection from harmful chemicals.

By this point, Frankie had figured out that his powers had something to do with the chemicals he was excreting from his skin; chemicals other people had, but not to as great a degree, or with as much control (now that he’d figured out there was something to control at all). From his point of view, having spent nearly a quarter of his life dealing with the fallout of not being immune to his own powers, these chemicals qualified as pretty harmful!

So he went to see the dean of the physics department, and thanks to his powers and natural charisma, managed to get a first-hand look at the thing, even to the point of trying it on and messing around with it.

After some experimentation, and some tinkering on his behalf by the inventor of the belt, again thanks to his powers, Frankie determined that he could indeed use the belt and be free from the effects of his own pheromones. Not only that, but the belt would give him some serious other advantages.

It was here that his powers failed him for the first time. Asking if he could keep the belt, the professor refused. Stunned, Frankie walked away.

That night, as he tossed and turned in his bed, Frankie came to a decision.

He had enough of this world screwing him over by handing him the powers that it had, and the lack of control, warning, or immunity that had come with them. He’d had enough of being the whipping boy, some kind of cosmic joke.

He went back to the lab to take the belt. He’d just put it on and activated it when he was interrupted by the professor. Angry, he roared at the man to just leave him alone, but the white coat came at him with a scalpel, probably fueled by Frankie’s own rage.

Rage which boiled to even greater heights at seeing this new, murderous attack, rage, which took physical form in a cloud of chemicals that literally exploded outwards from Frankie, utterly disintegrating everything it touched for a good 50 feet in every direction, and leaving heavy damage behind for a good fifty feet beyond that.

There was nothing left of the professor or his scalpel, and there would have been nothing left of Frankie, either, if he hadn’t been wearing the belt. In any case, there was nothing left of the floor, and Frankie, new at using the belt, having had only a couple of hours practice earlier, fell into the basement, even as part of the building caved in on top of him. Fortunately his surprise overrode his hatred, and the corrosive chemicals dissipated before he fell much more than three floors below the basement. He’d started out on the third.

Thanks to the force field, he was completely unhurt. At least, physically. He’d killed a man, something he’d never done before, and he’d stolen, and he was buried under tons of rubble. He cried tears of frustration, anger and sadness, all rolled into one, and railed at the world anew. When he finished crying, he was tired of being a plaything, of being fate’s bitch. He resolved that he was going to be the one pulling the strings from then on.

With much experimentation, he was finally able to use his corrosive pheromones and his flight, thanks to the belt, to tunnel his way out from under the physics building. When he got to the surface, he found that it was the next day, and he was wanted for questioning in connection with the explosion that had subsequently destroyed the physics lab. Mostly from him and his corrosive chemicals having passed through a store room in the basement on his way out.

Because of him, 103 people had died in less than two minutes.

Whatever else he would become, Frankie could never be a hero now.

Fortunately, no-one really knew about his powers, and while he might be a suspect, and his body had never been found, there was nothing to say that he had stolen the belt. He could, in theory, have died in that explosion. He might be able to use the belt to get together enough money to blow this pop stand and live a life of comfort in a place where no-one even knew him. To finally leave behind all the pain and horror.

He chose, at that moment, to recognize the poison his life had been up until that point, and took on a new part to play: that of Toxin. Toxin would be an amoral bastard, out to make money anyway he could, with no restraints whatsoever, until the day someone else could step out from behind that mask, and perhaps live a better life, once everything that had been lost was restored….

Maybe with a little interest. Damages, too, for the suffering.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-25, 11:45 AM
Wow... that’s quite a story. Very good, albeit disturbing. :smallbiggrin:

Blackbird
2007-06-25, 11:49 AM
Wow, you're right, that is pretty dark. Uncontrolled powers can really screw with you big time. Good writing though.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-25, 11:54 AM
Hey Blackbird, what did you send those files to me as? I haven't recieved anything yet, though I might be jumping the gun here. :smallconfused:

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I figured, if I was going to make a supervillain, he ought to be one with recognizable motives.

I might point out, if it wasn't clear, that he isn't quite sane anymore.

To him, There were three different Miles Franklin Cavendish's: The innocent - Miles the younger, the outcast - Frankie the thirteen-18 year old, and the reborn - miles the college student.

Toxin is someone else completely. As long as he's wearing the mask (which will probably be a deadpool-esque type affair), he's a real bastard.

And Toxin never takes the mask off. To him, the mask is his face.

If somebody else takes the mask off for him...well, there's not telling what'll be beneath the mask, really.

Toxin is really Frankie's attempt to punish the world around him for all the pain he's ever felt...which is, let's face it, a lot.

It's also a way to exert some control over a rudderless existence, a response to a lifetime of tragedy, and a place to hide from the pain that the knowledge that all of his troubles, really and truthfully, are something he's done to himself.

Subconciously, his decision to be a villain, (and one of the worst at that) is also deeply rooted in his need to be punished for all the terrible things he and his powers have caused, going back to to his thirteenth birthday.

The boy is ****ed up. But then, you'd have to be, to voluntarily be a villain in a world with real, live super-heroes on the same level as Superman and the Justice League.

Beleriphon
2007-06-25, 12:08 PM
??? the entire thing's already impervious.

Shows what I get for not paying attention. :smallbiggrin:

PsyBlade
2007-06-25, 01:09 PM
Sweet, team-up bank robbery! Hey Psyblade, I could use a meatshield teammate with a low will save excellent combat prowess. Wanna partner up?

No problem. The way I see it, there will be maybe two 'thugs' that are resilient helping you. While this is happening, Kyubit will be elsewhere being a normal, maybe slightly better off than normal, person. He doesn't need to hide his identity, the copies wear masks and go poof when defeated, or when he needs them to.

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 01:35 PM
Poor Toxin.

The guys got a legion of bad luck riding with him.

I mean, everything that's happened in his life, and now, the first bank he tries to knock over, is going to be a chosen target for what, four other supervillains? What are the odds?

Green Bean
2007-06-25, 01:38 PM
Here's the plan. We burst in, wearing raver-style clothes. I shout, "Jericho and Cubit are in da house!" and for emphasis, I sonic blast a guard into a wall.

Or, better yet, I come up with a more original plan. :smallbiggrin:

So, for a plan, I was thinking that me and my 'thugs' walk in, I hit the general area with a selective Confuse, leaving out the real you, my meatshields, and a likely looking teller. Since you seem to have a high Bluff, the original you should have no problem pretending to have been affected. Since neither of us has a particularly effective method of safe-cracking (though if necessary, I could Blast it), I'd single target Mind Control a teller to open up the safe. Your clones should deal with any security guards who aren't affected/making sure no one in the bank's a disguised 'cape'. We then make our dramatic escape, and I blow the money on a car and booze while you use it to successfully take over the world. Easy-peasy.

PsyBlade
2007-06-25, 02:25 PM
I had intended that my copies would be with you while I was away from the robbery. However, me being a 'victim' would help with my story. I'd just have to use basic attacks, rather than my fingernails, against nearest target sometimes, blabber incoherently occasionally, and well, I wouldn't want to attack you unless you were the closest to me. I'd only attack you if you get too close, if you don't then you have no worries from me.

And the best part is, I can direct my copies mentally. Thus if I see a problem, they can react as if they could sense it coming. Of course, since I'd be wearing normal clothes, and them costumes, I couldn't replace them if they get knocked out. Though that might add to the confusion since they'd go 'poof', and the capes would be waiting for more to show up.

Green Bean
2007-06-25, 02:42 PM
Your copies going *poof* would be fun to turn to our advantage.

"You foolish heroes! You merely destroyed a phantom. Fear the power of Hologram, the Illusionist!"

And then our nemeses spend the next three sessions planning against a power we don't have. :smallcool:

PsyBlade
2007-06-25, 02:52 PM
Yes, that would be fun to use to toy with our enemies.

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 03:09 PM
You, of course, neglect to plan for the inevitable super-hero(villain) knuckleduster when everybody first meets up.

We'll probably end up fighting each other, right?

Green Bean
2007-06-25, 03:10 PM
Yep. With your 13 ranks in bluff, and my 15, messing with people's heads is what we do. :smallbiggrin:

"Excuse me sir, but did you notice that you're actually a small Irish Terrier?"

"Really?"

((Bluff Check Result: 10+24=34))
"Yes."

((Sense Motive: 10+2+20 bonus=32))
"Woof."

Edit: And yes, raven, I do have plans for the heroic knuckleduster. *evil grin*
And as for us fighting each other? This is a villain campaign. I'd be disappointed if nobody's planned at least one betrayal.

PsyBlade
2007-06-25, 03:13 PM
Eh, I'd say it's more likely that capes would interrupt us before we fought. Then we'd be more likely to team up to escape with whatever loot we have (or just to not get arrested). Since I'd have my main playing victim this time, he'd 'cower' if the confusion wore off. The copies would play meat-shields easily thanks to being pretty dang hard to hit. And next time I'd send more.

Edit: I've got 15 ranks in bluff. Though that's not enough to get someone to think they're a terrier.

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 03:19 PM
You may have a point there.

My character doesn't play that well with others, but hopefully we'll be able to figure out a way to integrate his capabilities with the rest of the teams.

We might need to pick you guys up some gas masks or something.

PsyBlade
2007-06-25, 03:30 PM
Mental Control over my copies should allow me to control them despite any problems they may be under. Of course if any of them aren't effected, but I was, I could spend a VP to transfer the problem to one of them. So it would probably be moot when it comes to your powers against my char.

Say, what's the saving throw anyway? If reflex, I'd probably make it. Will, eh, I'm not too shabby there. Fortitude (unlikely), I'm slippery, but can take minor Fort attacks.

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 03:33 PM
It varies, depending on which version of the power I'm using, but it's fort and will only , no reflex.

PsyBlade
2007-06-25, 03:40 PM
Area attacks get a Reflex Save of 10 + Rank. So I'd need a roll of Rank +1 to ignore it, but failure means half effect due to 2 ranks in Evasion. So I might not get to the save I'm not too good at.

Edit: This only applies to attacks that would normally get an attack roll when not an area attack, sadly. So I might still have to roll Fort or Will.

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 03:53 PM
I know some of 'em were touch attacks.

But all of them already came with fort or will saves regardless...

I don't know if I like the idea of giving people two chances to be unaffected by my powers. I must have missed the part where turning something into an area effect automatically gave a ref save...

Ah....I never looked at page 159. That explains it.

Still, it's a save for half, so it's not all bad, and I can affect many targets simultaneously. But I'm very glad I configured my blast attack the way I did. :)

All but one of my pheromone powers involved an attack of some sort - the one that didn't was the emotion control. Which is a will.

The rest are all fort.

Green Bean
2007-06-25, 04:38 PM
You may have a point there.

My character doesn't play that well with others, but hopefully we'll be able to figure out a way to integrate his capabilities with the rest of the teams.

We might need to pick you guys up some gas masks or something.

The manual says noseplugs should be 100% effective, so we'll probably end up investing in those. Luckily, lacking a sense of smell isn't that big of an disadvantage.

Of course, my Mind Control is a hearing dependant Area Attack, so it could be a problem because I didn't take the Selective extra. Oh well, I guess I'll try to limit my Area Mind Control to commands that won't have that much of an effect on you, like "Attack the heroes," or "Protect the Death Ray," or "Give me all of your money."

ravenkith
2007-06-25, 04:54 PM
Hey....:smallconfused:

wait a gosh darn minute....

you can't have my money, I need it to retire on! ;)

PsyBlade
2007-06-25, 04:58 PM
One more reason to be out of the area. The real me won't be hit by mind control, or emotion control. Of course, my copies might still be affected. Ah, well.

Green Bean
2007-06-25, 05:05 PM
One more reason to be out of the area. The real me won't be hit by mind control, or emotion control. Of course, my copies might still be affected. Ah, well.

Meh. You can always make more. 'sides, you can dismiss them any time you want.

Ghal Marak
2007-06-27, 11:30 AM
Huh... I wonder what I'm gona do. Ooo, I got it. :smallbiggrin: I'll drop strait through the ceiling! It would be the least expected, and sky lights are prety popular nowadays.

Green Bean
2007-06-27, 04:38 PM
Hey Ghal, you mentioned you don't have the books? Did you find help making a character, or do you still need assistance?

Ghal Marak
2007-06-27, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I don't have any books. At least... not for another week or two. Blackbird is helping me to make a character, but thanks anyway for the offer to help. :smallsmile: I have the Beguiners Guide PDF, but as I said my book order is coming in soon. :smallcool:

Green Bean
2007-06-28, 01:39 AM
Excellent...

Do you have a preview of what's being built? Are you going to be a blaster? Powerhouse? Battlesuit? I wanna know so I can plan to betray you because I'm curious...

ravenkith
2007-06-28, 08:42 AM
God, I am looking forward to this. Got any idea when it'll get moving?

Green Bean
2007-06-28, 10:30 AM
Subject to GM and PsyBlade's approval, an update to my character's history

Recent History
As of now, Jericho is unemployed, having lost his job because of his several-month absence. Not bothering to seek further employment, Jericho has instead been working his way into the criminal underworld. With his (un)natural charm and occasional outright mind control, Jericho has built himself a network of people he can tap for information. Of course, all of this took time and effort, and without a steady job, Jericho has found himself out of money to pay the bills. On his latest foray into the city’s underside, he made contact with a relatively unknown super-villain by the name of Cubit. Each needing a little extra cash, they decided to work together, at least temporarily, to knock over the <insert bank name>.

I do have a confession to make, though. I kind of wrote this recent history section to justify a slight change in my build. I've switched a feat, taking a point off of Fascinate, and using it to buy Contacts. So, (with approval), my feat list should actually look like:

FEATS:
Uncanny Dodge
Dodge Focus (4)
Defensive Roll (3)
Fascinate (1) (Perform: Oratory)
Skill Mastery (1)
Equipment (1) [cellphone, PDA, Laptop, 2 flash-bang grenades]
Contacts
Assessment

PsyBlade
2007-06-28, 11:39 AM
Works for me.

Blackbird
2007-06-28, 01:27 PM
Seems fine. As for the game starting, well, we'll see. The thing is that about a week from now, I'll be heading of for a week an' a half or so to visit my brothers. Not to say that I'll be completely without internet-connection but I won't be online all the time. As I said, We'll see.

Ghal Marak
2007-07-03, 11:38 AM
Edit: Ooo, now I feel stupid.

Blackbird
2007-07-03, 12:50 PM
Um, I'm not leaving until the 6th of June. I'm going to play in a small local Magic: the Gathering tournament with my brothers. Probably won't have much luck since I've never played it that much and I haven't played a lot in years but that's not really why I'm going there.

Hm, actually, I might take this opportunity to talk schedule. So I'm leaving on Friday June 6th. I might have some internet connection, but no promises there. I'll probably be back between the 13th and the 15th but after that I'll be of again for a couple of days, probably come back around the 18th. From there I'll take a day to get back on track before starting the game, so officially the game is now starting on 19th or so, give or take a day.

I'll use this time to fine tune everything for the start of the game and to also give people interested in this some extra time to get a character together, as at the time I think there is only h_v's Jericho, Ravenkith's Toxin, PsyBlade's Cubit and Ghal Marak's character which I'll get done before I leave. I'll put up a recruitment thread for this in the ooc-forums and I'd ask you to post your characters there, background and everything one more time so I'll have them all in one place, as well as give me an idea on how many people we've got.

So, to recap, little to no connection 6th - 18th (?), after which the game will kick of. I'll post a recruitment thread asap, but definitely before I'll leave.

PsyBlade
2007-07-03, 01:51 PM
Do you mean July 6th, not June 6th?

Ghal Marak
2007-07-03, 06:36 PM
I could have sworn that you had left... and... ugh. Sorry, I should have warned everybody.

Every so often I go through a Stupidity Phase which lasts anywhere from 1 hour to a day. It catches me unaware, and for that other people have to suffer my inane questions. :smalleek: :smallfrown: If it happens again, just try and be polite about it and ignore it or something. :smallsmile:

Edit: Errant smile.

Blackbird
2007-07-04, 08:05 AM
*bonks head on table* Yeah, sorry, change all the mentions of June on the above post to July. Otherwise I'd have to get that time machine I've been wanting... Come to think of it, happy 4th of July to the americans among you.

See, the above is living proof that brain farts are common :smalltongue:

And to add to my earlier post, Nyrath has also got a ready character, Mage Bane. You still here Nyrath?

Hm, that'd pump it up to five... Plenty enough to start with, I guess. I might still put up the recruitment thread to see if we'll get a sixth person during my vacation, but wether we get one or not, the game'll still start around the 18th (of July :smallsmile: ).

Edit: Recruitment-thread is up, post you're complete characters there. People from this thread are favored over others.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49727

Nyrath
2007-07-05, 01:49 PM
Yeah I'm still here. I just haven't had much to say, and I've been absent for a while.

Axelgear
2007-07-05, 09:57 PM
I'd like to voice my interest.