PDA

View Full Version : Warlock: 1/Day spell Invocations

Regulas
2016-02-27, 04:55 PM
So other thread I found quite useful, I now had another line of inquiry.

Are the 1/day+spell slot invocations worthwhile? Note: this is excluding Polymoprh and possibly conjure elemental since these are worth taking mostly due to how broken the spells are.

Pretty much all guides/advice I've seen says to steer away from them. So if they are not worthwhile what would be an adequate fix? Making them not take a spell slot? More uses per day? Something else entirely?

SharkForce
2016-02-27, 05:22 PM
either making them not use a spell slot (and possibly adding additional uses at higher levels or at the very least scaling up the spell slot on the free cast) or adding them to the spell list would be adequate, in my opinion. if it was an actual extra spell you could cast, then it would be something you could use in desperate situations. if it was on your spell list, that would be an interesting addition.

though honestly, i feel like several of them should just be on the list in the first place. what kind of lame warlock can't place a curse on people or turn peasants into frogs (i'd be totally ok with warlocks only being able to turn the target of their polymorph into CR 1/4 or lower creatures)?

for some of them, honestly, you could probably just allow them to be used without limitation. bane is nice and all, but... it isn't so awesome that i'd really be all *that* excited to cast it repeatedly considering it still costs concentration.

Socratov
2016-02-28, 04:12 AM
I'd tell you to ask yourself the following question: when will I use this? and Why would I use this more then another invocation?If the answers indicate that its the best option then go for it. otherwise, leave it be

Zalabim
2016-02-28, 04:50 AM
These are the invocations to cast:
Compulsion,
Confusion,
Conjure Elemental,
Slow,
Polymorph,
Bestow Curse,
and Bane
each once per day with a spell slot. Right off the bat, Polymorph, Conjure Elemental, and Bestow Curse could get annoying if cast with Pact Magic. Bestow Curse might be allowable because it has poor action economy. So the remainder are Compulsion, Confusion, Slow, and Bane. Compulsion and Slow don't even benefit from a higher spell slot. The common link in these debuffs, I think, is that they are actually debuffs rather than crowd control. The enemy is still able to attack, but is less effective and more vulnerable. I think that most of these could be rolled into the warlock list and replaced with an invocation that lets you learn an additional spell and cast that spell once per day without using a spell slot. Without a buff, Confusion and Slow at least have the benefit of facing few immunities, compared to the non-limited spells Fear and Hypnotic Pattern.

I think the reason they're gated is because they didn't comply with the warlock's base role, direct damage and crowd control. Leader support leans more towards making the enemy more vulnerable while control support leans more towards making the enemy less dangerous. They stand out because they fall well within the warlock's theme. If Hold Monster and Hold Person are fine, these should be as well.

Millstone85
2016-02-28, 06:23 AM
Is the spell Conjure Elemental really considered such an obvious choice?
You are summoning a creature that might will become hostile to the party.

Zalabim
2016-02-28, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure it's an obvious choice 1/day, but if I could cast it with my spell slots? Cast spell. Send fire elemental away. Leave. End concentration by starting a new Conjure Elemental. I don't care what an angry fire elemental does 20 minutes away. It would be chaos.

Millstone85
2016-02-28, 09:15 AM
I don't care what an angry fire elemental does 20 minutes away. It would be chaos.I am actually considering the invocation for a warlock of evil alignment, so this might be in character. Still, I would have to convince the rest of the party that I have a modicum of control over that thing.

I could give the elemental precise instructions before sending it away. I don't speak Primordial but I have Awakened Mind. I could also monitor the elemental through my familiar. Does the elemental disappears if you just end your concentration?

Regarding 1/day+slot invocations that are not this or Polymorph, I agree that they really are unattractive.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-28, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure it's an obvious choice 1/day, but if I could cast it with my spell slots? Cast spell. Send fire elemental away. Leave. End concentration by starting a new Conjure Elemental. I don't care what an angry fire elemental does 20 minutes away. It would be chaos.

The invocation is named Minions of Chaos for a reason

I remember warlocks griefing by doing stuff like that with some demons in earlier days of World of Warcraft, where you had to use different spell to control your demon after summoning...