PDA

View Full Version : Most popular RPG?

CakeFace
2016-02-27, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone! I was wondering what the ten most popular RPGs are 2015-2016. Thanks!

Unity
2016-02-27, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure about being able to list 10 but the heavy hitters are still going strong:

D&D (esp w 5e becoming OGL)
Pathfinder
Savage Worlds
GURPS
Call of Cthulu
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Mutants and Masterminds

There's probably plenty more... that others will be able to fill in... but if their Kickstarter is any indication, 7th Sea is going to be up there for 2016.

Gastronomie
2016-02-27, 06:51 PM
I don't know about other countries but in Japan, Paranoia is a pretty major TRPG.

If you're talking about the most popular RPG, Pokemon is probably the most popular RPG. *Gets blown up for not reading between the lines*

Jay R
2016-02-27, 10:57 PM
Most annoyingly to Wizards of the Coast, I suspect that D&D 3.5E is one of the most popular.

ImNotTrevor
2016-02-28, 12:51 AM
Hello everyone! I was wondering what the ten most popular RPGs are 2015-2016. Thanks!

Since we don't really have access to sales figures, the next best thing we have available is ICV2. Google 'em. It can give you a decent ballpark estimate, but not exactly a spot-on reckoning. Then again, that's for sales numbers not the most-played RPG.

To find the latter would require large-scale surveying.

Kol Korran
2016-02-28, 07:00 AM
By "most popular" do you mean most sold? Most played? If played, then in table too games? Conventions? Online?
any specific area? The USA? Europe? Asia?
Specific age groups? Teens? 20-30? 30+?

goto124
2016-02-28, 07:07 AM
The most popular RPG on these forums is DnD 3.5e, which explains why system-neutral RPG discussions often slide into 3.5e-specific stuff :smallbiggrin:

YossarianLives
2016-02-28, 11:32 AM
The most popular RPG on these forums is DnD 3.5e, which explains why system-neutral RPG discussions often slide into 3.5e-specific stuff :smallbiggrin:
It's interesting, actually. When I joined this forum D&D 3.5 was the dominant system by far. Now it seems like 5E is starting to overtake it, though it will take the 5E boards some time to catch up in posts because of the insatiable glut of posts in the 3.P subforum.

Belac93
2016-02-28, 01:32 PM
Well, I'll take a looksy at a different list. This is from the internet, with my commentary.

#1: D&D
D&D 3.5 seems more popular, but 5e is catching up. I would suggest 5e (please do not start a edition war), but I've found all editions to be enjoyable.
#2: Pathfinder
I think this is one of the best non-5e games. Its like 3.5, but I like the rules better.
#3: Savage Worlds
I don't know enough about this game to comment on it, but I have heard it is quite simple.
#4: GURPS
This is probably, although complicated, one of the most realistic games ever.
#5: HackMaster
A parody of AD&D
#6: Call of Cthulhu
The horror game that almost no-one can win. Almost.
#7: Traveler
I believe this is a sci-fi plane-hopping game
#8: Mutants and Masterminds
Superpowers rpg
#9: World of Darkness
Awesome horror game. You can be pretty much any horror trope ever. I think this should be in the top 5.
#10: Rifts
A body swapping game where you can be anything is what someone described it as to me.

Cealocanth
2016-02-28, 01:52 PM
At the moment, the top three are D&D (3.5 and 5e. The 4e fanbase died when the online tools were shut down.), Pathfinder, and Savage Worlds (Deluxe. The old version is barely played. Deadlands is the most popular setting.)

mikeejimbo
2016-02-28, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the top 10 were all D&D or variants/forks. (For example, Pathfinder)

Satinavian
2016-02-28, 02:56 PM
No one knows.

It's not common to release sales figures.
And every other indicator is only local. Rarely there can be made any useful answer acros borders or across languages.