PDA

View Full Version : Portable Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow: All aboard the nostalgia train!

Ogremindes
2016-02-27, 05:48 PM
So, Pokémon RBY came out on the 3DS Virtual Console today. Since the main Pokémon thread is focused on other things I thought it a good idea to have another thread to chat about playing these old games again.

I picked up Red Version, mainly because Arcanine is probably my favorite single pokémon. I went in with a plan for 4 of my team:

Venusaur, because bulbasaur was my first starter.
Arcanine, because as above it's my favorite.
Gyrados, because I have strong memories of evolving Magikarp back when I first played.
Jolteon, because I like eveelutions, and fire and water are already spoken for.

I'll also need a flyer, and it looks like there's only one interesting non-legendary pick for that. Last choice probably should be a psychic, maybe one of the trade-only ones, since I've never used those.

I'm just through Mt. Moon. That one Rocket with the Raticate gave me problems with my under-size team (I have Bulbasaur (un-evolved for faster Razor Leaf learning), Spearow and Magikarp ATM.)

Anyway, anyone else who's playing, I'd like to hear about what you're doing with the game.

The Dark Fiddler
2016-02-29, 09:23 AM
Bought myself the Blue release pretty much solely so myself and a few close friends can Nuzlocke the classics together, with trading and battling. Unfortunately, two of them don't have access to their 3DSs until spring break starts in a week, so it's sitting on my SD card, useless at the moment.

AdmiralCheez
2016-02-29, 01:13 PM
I had Blue as a kid, so I decided to try Red this time around, and go with Squirtle instead of Bulbasaur. I remember the game being a lot harder as a kid; like, I spent days trying to prepare myself for the first gym battle, and this time I beat him in under an hour with only three pokemon.

Ogremindes
2016-02-29, 05:04 PM
I had Blue as a kid, so I decided to try Red this time around, and go with Squirtle instead of Bulbasaur. I remember the game being a lot harder as a kid; like, I spent days trying to prepare myself for the first gym battle, and this time I beat him in under an hour with only three pokemon.

The early game was a little harder than I remembered, probably because I wasn't following my usual strategy of running with a full team ASAP, instead only using 'mons that I was intending to stick with at least as far as Cinnabar. That did mean a bit of grinding to take care of the rival on Nugget Bridge. Speaking of Nugget Bridge, the Mew Glitch is still in the game and, as it turns out, is really easy to do. So I have a lvl7 Mew stored in the PC now.

AdmiralCheez
2016-03-01, 12:22 AM
Speaking of Nugget Bridge, the Mew Glitch is still in the game and, as it turns out, is really easy to do. So I have a lvl7 Mew stored in the PC now.

That is very good news to hear! I was hoping the glitches would still be here in this version. I will have to attempt this later.

Ogremindes
2016-03-01, 05:04 AM
Porygon get! And without buying coins either. That took a while, I think Rootkit, as I named it, will be my sixth.

Jon D
2016-03-01, 09:23 PM
So...remember that Rocket Grunt in Mt Moon? Yeah, the one with the lvl 16 Raticate.

He's still a scumbag. Forgot all about him, it's literally been 20 years after all, and he swept me after Charmeleon decided Mega Punch couldn't hit.

Ogremindes
2016-03-02, 05:57 AM
So...remember that Rocket Grunt in Mt Moon? Yeah, the one with the lvl 16 Raticate.

He's still a scumbag. Forgot all about him, it's literally been 20 years after all, and he swept me after Charmeleon decided Mega Punch couldn't hit.

Yeah, that one got me first time this playthrough.

AdmiralCheez
2016-03-02, 02:35 PM
Oh man, that Raticate's Hyper Fang one-shot half of my team. I only won because it missed a few times.

Ogremindes
2016-03-02, 07:02 PM
Heh, my Growlithe just almost completely swept Kuga with Dig. Last guy Selfdestructed. So now I plan to head to Cinnabar to grab Areodactyl then do Sylph Co.