PDA

View Full Version : Your best story for your players

Shadowbane13
2016-02-27, 08:04 PM
This is one of our sessions that I threw together. Thought I'd share. It was fun. First off there were only 3 of us in the party but it started off with us just wandering on our way to complete a random side quest. We ended up discovering an old abandoned asylum. Broken and beaten the massive building barely stands at the end of a long overgrown path. The group tried the front door but it was broken and stuck tight. One player who had climbing gear suggested going in thru the roof. So we finally make it on the roof and find an opening in the roof. We drop down in on the top floor (3rd floor) inside is dark the room we entered is small and contains one sole bed with a torn mattress. The party exits the room into a long hallway lined with doors to the left is an open room filled with broken tables couches and chairs to the right is a handful of doors some open and others closed up.

After the team did little exploring they found a stairwell. The first flight is undamaged but the second is crumbling. The players agreed to stay on the second floor for right now. They come out onto the second floor and into what seemed like a mirrored image of the previous floor. But down the hall to the left was a small lit torch. And down the hall there were several rooms that seemed to appear lit up. They ventured down the hall and peered into the first room that had a lit torch. Inside was a man in torn rags sitting on the bed rocking back and forth mutter to himself. After a successful listen check they heard the man "they come in......they try to leave.... They can't leave.... They can never leave me.... They NEEEDDD MEEE!!!" As he partially yelled the last sentence he looks towards the door and directly into the eyes of one of my players. He stood up and sprinted at the door smashing into it and reaching thru the broken bar window attempting to grab the player. Fortunately missed and we moved on as the man screamed at us "you're trapped. They won't leave. They won't let you leave!"

The team proceeded down the hall more and a faint sound appeared. Another successful listen check and our players hear a faint sound of a piano playing in the distance. Each key stroke is slow and long. As we approached the assumed room from which the sound was coming a chilling wind raced thru the hall. Blowing out what little light we had. Now in almost magical darkness the team uses the walls to find their way to a room. As they move down the hall they hear the sound of cold bare feet slapping the floor running by the players. A torch ignites behind them in a side room. The players turned and all stood on fear as they saw in the room a tall slender woman in a blood soaked ragged night gown. Her long black hair a mess all covering her face. Another cold wind blows thru the broken halls and the woman starts walking towards our guys. They panic and one slams the door in her face. They bolted into the room behind them from which the piano was playing. In the loan room stood a piano in the corner by itself. No sounds coming from it. One player approached the piano and inspected it.

As he touched a key the door behind them flies open and the woman in rags comes sprinting into the room and tackles one player. They fight the creature. When they finally win and she falls the piano starts playing loudly and rapidly. The intense music quickens and doubles in volume. The team panics and smashes the piano. A ear shattering screech erupts from the piano when it breaks. The party decided to turn and start heading towards the stairwell (at this point they decided to say screw this place and try to leave) the stairwell that is crumbling on its way down to the first floor is coated in rubble so it was too narrow for two people at once.

So one at a time they climb over the rubble. The second player across slips and falls on the Rock and the staircase gives under the sudden weight. He falls thru the stairs slamming into the flight below and breaking thru that flight. He falls fully to the basement. He stands up and looks around. He's in a large open room from what he can see. There's one opening with a dim light shining thru. He heads towards the light and looks into the room. A lantern hangs from the ceiling and in the center light of the room sits a small boy on his knees. Facing away from the player he starts singing a song. Successful listen check and he hears the song the boy is singing. (This part you have to kinda sing like the intro video to dead space) "ring around the Rosie... Pocket full of posies..... Ashes....... Ashes...... We all...... Fall.... Down." And right as he says "down" the lantern blows out and the room falls pitch black. The player unable to see screams for help and one of our others toss a lit torch down into the first room. The torch falls on the floor and rolls. It rolls slowly and the player tried to pick it up as he reached down the torch rolls into the foot of the little boy. The player picked up the torch and looks at the boys face and is frozen in fear. There is nothing there. The face is blank. No features. No eyes or nose or mouth. Our player hits the boy with the torch then bolts to the opening where the stairs were. He yells for a rope and after the party drops it down to him he climbs out. Leaving the torch in the basement. They look down to see the boy slip into the darkness beyond the torches reach.

They finally manage to make it to the first floor and after fighting some terrain and ignoring all other sounds and lights they hear and see they make it to the broken front door. Suddenly the room ignites with a white light. All doors and windows disappear and all that stands is a lone tree on top of a small knoll with a sole headstone underneath. The party heads towards it and examines the weather rock. Upon the stone is written "here lies dr Mauv. Doctor healer savior." At the base of headstone was a riddle written in elven. "Only when you see the nothing do you see the everything" (it was a riddle that applied to a hidden treasure in a room in the asylum.) the party starts wanderin around while discussing the riddle. They were unable to figure it out but as they wandered they found around the small knoll another stone. Hidden in the charred grass. One player bent down to read it and as he did a hand shot out and grabbed him. Pulled him into the ground. The other two grabbed his legs and pulled back. After a slight struggle they pull him out and he leaves a hole in the ground. Small flames burst from the hole and a specter flies out. The epic battle ensued and with the creatures last breath it lets out a scream that shakes the players. The ground begins to crumble and they fall thru. Scrambling to try to stay atop the shattering ground they fall down into darkness and find themselves back in the lobby.

With a sigh of relief they move the debris from behind the door and open it and run out but suddenly stop to find themselves facing the front door of the asylum. They turn around to look back and notice nothing but the overgrown trail behind them. One player has the climbing kit in his hand and all the items they obtained inside are missing. It seemed as if they never entered the building but we're actually in a trance and stood outside the whole time doing nothing. And they left and never returned.

It's harder to really describe when I can't use like unique voices and physical story telling things such as maps and pictures.

I did offer several rather rewarding quests that would bring them back but they said screw that ****. Lol. But I had much more planned for there but that's one of my better games.

Shnigda
2016-02-27, 08:31 PM
This is one of our sessions that I threw together. Thought I'd share. It was fun.

CUT

Lol. But I had much more planned for there but that's one of my better games.

Any chance of some paragraphs? Thanks

But sounds like you all had a good time with it! :smallsmile:

Droopy McCool
2016-02-28, 01:03 AM
Good God man! I got chills just reading this.

I don't have anything good to contribute, because my players never got serious enough about roleplaying or plot. When I tried to add a story, they would actively avoid it. In the end I said screw it, and gave them a wacky adventure with no plot, and they played. That group got bored with D&D, so now we've switched to GURPS. However, I'll soon be DMing a plot/story heavy game for my mom (she's an old-school player from the 80's that wanted to get back into it), so hopefully I'll have some good times to share!

McCool