PDA

View Full Version : Control Character

Rama_Lei
2007-06-18, 01:21 PM
Alright Gitpers, it's time to put on your munchkin caps and help me kick some Shakespearian donkey.

The group I play with has a group of kids who are, well, jerks. They'll find powerful monsters with +5 LA's and convince the DM to let them play. Our Dm is a little shy, I guess, and doesn't want to say no. I explained to him how ECL works and so he asked them to recalibrate their characters. Also, last session, the duskblade decided yo stab (literally) another member through the back. "Because duskblades just flip out and kill stuff". Anyway, I want to protect the other players and need some help on creating a character that can easily stop theirs. Any advice?

Ulzgoroth
2007-06-18, 01:34 PM
If your level is sufficient, a magic user who can Geas/Mark of Justice the troublemakers might suffice. Mark of Justice could be cast while they sleep, so that they can't resist... Geas spells require them to understand you, so I imagine they have to be awake, so they have a chance to save. Lesser Geas is more effective if it works, since the Geas text implies that they can chose to ignore the Geas

If you don't want to act preemptively, you probably need Celerity. Because you can't stop someone from acting if you can't act first.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-06-18, 01:42 PM
Pun-Pun!

No, but seriously. What level and books are allowed? That'll help us help you a lot easier.

Rama_Lei
2007-06-18, 01:46 PM
Pun-Pun!

No, but seriously. What level and books are allowed? That'll help us help you a lot easier.

Level 7 and 8, Core and Race of Stone, Wild, and Destiny.

I thinking True Strike + Enervation + True Strike-Ray of Exhaustion + Black Tentacles.

Feat choices will be to boost the Save DC's

Penguinsushi
2007-06-18, 01:47 PM
The others have some decent suggestions, and I'm sure you can come up with an enchanter who can accomplish such things...

...but honestly, I don't think this particular set of problems can be effectively solved in-game. Even if none of them can defy you, you're really just treating the symptoms. The cause remains, and it'll come up again and again.

Not that I have a good way to treat the cause. :smallfrown: Sounds to me like the players just need to grow up a little - but that's not really something you can control.

Ultimately, I think this is the dm's issue. The dm needs to be the one that sets the tone and guides the game. It's his/her job. Every time I've been a part of a game where the dm just lets the players do whatever (usually because he/she wants to avoid confrontation), this sort of thing happens.

Though it's not the best scenario, you may just need to find another group... :smalleek: ...or possibly form a splinter with the ones who aren't jerks...

Anyway, good luck.

~PS

Tellah
2007-06-18, 01:50 PM
This sounds like an out-of-game problem, not an in-game problem. Part of your party is trying to play a different game than you are, and building a character to try to force them to play your kind of game isn't a workable solution. If they want to play Chaotic Stupid D&D, and your DM wants them to have fun, then the DM needs to give them an outlet for that behavior that doesn't bug the rest of you. If someone wants to play an evil character who flips out and kills allies, then the DM can offer up scads of NPCs available for backstabbing fun without ruining group cohesion. Likewise, the more rational party members need to be understanding and turn a blind eye toward this kind of behavior, lest it spill over onto them.

My players like to do PvP, too, but we like to have little battles outside the flow of gameplay. They can beat on each other, gloat over their victories, and put some proof behind "nuh-uh, I'm more powerful arguments," and at the end of the fight no one died because it never really happened in-game.

Telonius
2007-06-18, 01:57 PM
Alright Gitpers, it's time to put on your munchkin caps and help me kick some Shakespearian donkey.

The group I play with has a group of kids who are, well, jerks. They'll find powerful monsters with +5 LA's and convince the DM to let them play. Our Dm is a little shy, I guess, and doesn't want to say no. I explained to him how ECL works and so he asked them to recalibrate their characters. Also, last session, the duskblade decided yo stab (literally) another member through the back. "Because duskblades just flip out and kill stuff". Anyway, I want to protect the other players and need some help on creating a character that can easily stop theirs. Any advice?

First, they're confusing a Duskblade with a Ninja (which is also a base class).

Second, what Tellah and Penguinsushi said.

Matthew
2007-06-18, 11:04 PM
My players like to do PvP, too, but we like to have little battles outside the flow of gameplay. They can beat on each other, gloat over their victories, and put some proof behind "nuh-uh, I'm more powerful arguments," and at the end of the fight no one died because it never really happened in-game.
Yep, we do that. In our group, the Half Orc Barbarian and Elf Scout were typical candidates for this sort of thing.

Rama_Lei: The advice given here I also agree with. If you still want to build an Uber Character, though, just say so and I'm sure we'll help you out.

Bassetking
2007-06-18, 11:29 PM
Conversely... Hit them with a Ghost. Class doesn't matter, but I'd reccomend a Ghost Bard.

MM 116 , ECL +5.

Play a lesser Aaismar Ghost, Advance age before you die, and you're coming into the game with an unaided 26 charisma.

Check with your DM if you can lay your hands on a Cape of Charisma, for this character. If yes, ratchet that Cha up even higher. Ioun Stone of Charisma? Yes Please. Any and all means in which you can increase your Charisma

"Why?" I can hear you asking?

Malevolence.

A ghost's Su DC 15+Cha Modifier Will save against full-blown Possession.

Every time they act up, every time they do stupid, unreasonable stuff, Every time they step out of line...

Possess them.

Possess them, explain to them what they did wrong, and them extract payment. First, break a finger. Next time, take the finger. Then an ear. Then an eye.

Will it piss off the party? You bet. Is it time for these twinks to learn that if you can't run with the big dogs, it's time to get back under the porch? You better believe it.

Take back your group, and rule these jokers with an iron dice bag.

Penguinsushi
2007-06-19, 09:03 AM
Conversely... Hit them with a Ghost. Class doesn't matter, but I'd reccomend a Ghost Bard.

MM 116 , ECL +5.

Play a lesser Aaismar Ghost, Advance age before you die, and you're coming into the game with an unaided 26 charisma.

Check with your DM if you can lay your hands on a Cape of Charisma, for this character. If yes, ratchet that Cha up even higher. Ioun Stone of Charisma? Yes Please. Any and all means in which you can increase your Charisma

"Why?" I can hear you asking?

Malevolence.

A ghost's Su DC 15+Cha Modifier Will save against full-blown Possession.

Every time they act up, every time they do stupid, unreasonable stuff, Every time they step out of line...

Possess them.

Possess them, explain to them what they did wrong, and them extract payment. First, break a finger. Next time, take the finger. Then an ear. Then an eye.

Will it piss off the party? You bet. Is it time for these twinks to learn that if you can't run with the big dogs, it's time to get back under the porch? You better believe it.

Take back your group, and rule these jokers with an iron dice bag.

That's a clever, strong-arm tactic. :smallamused:

The bonuses for a cape/cloak and ioun stone wouldn't stack (since they're both enhancement bonuses) and you might have a hard time convincing your gm to let the ghost have corporeal equipment - but then, you've already said he tends to cave (and it's not the most ridiculous request I've gotten...).

still, as some of us have said - out of game solutions may be preferable.

~PS