PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Storm Sorc 1 / Tempest Cleric

AmbientRaven
2016-02-28, 09:41 AM
Hi Folks,

My character is soon to be murdered by our parties rogue, so I thought I would start working on my back up.

I had a concept of a polearm using tempest cleric who "dances" through battle. Doing this by using the Storm sorc's level 1 ability if I get bogged down in combat. This would work well as a pole user as i can disengage and set up more AoO's. Going 1 Sorc also nets me booming blade, significantly upping damage. Is it worth the 1 dip into Sorc for BB/BA 10ft disengage? or would I be better 3 Arcane Trickster, or, trying the concept with something else besides a cleric

Thanks for your advice

Dalebert
2016-02-28, 09:51 AM
I was actually contemplating 1 level of wizard with my tempest cleric so I could get Shocking Grasp. I like the idea of a cantrip to take advantage of that whole knock things back 10 feet with lightning attacks. I didn't even think of Booming Blade. Remember though, you will get extra thunder damage with your weapon attacks at (I think) 8th at which point it may feel redundant. Then again, I suppose they might stack...

thebiglost1
2016-02-28, 10:03 AM
I was actually contemplating 1 level of wizard with my tempest cleric so I could get Shocking Grasp. I like the idea of a cantrip to take advantage of that whole knock things back 10 feet with lightning attacks. I didn't even think of Booming Blade. Remember though, you will get extra thunder damage with your weapon attacks at (I think) 8th at which point it may feel redundant. Then again, I suppose they might stack...

Only problem I would see with that is even though you make a melee attack roll with booming blade, it still counts as a spell, so the extra damage for a melee weapon attack wouldn't kick in.

Unless I'm misinterpreting that.

AmbientRaven
2016-02-28, 10:04 AM

They stack :)

Shpocking grasp isn't great as it is key'd from int :(

Dalebert
2016-02-28, 10:04 AM
Only problem I would see with that is even though you make a melee attack roll with booming blade, it still counts as a spell, so the extra damage for a melee weapon attack wouldn't kick in.

Unless I'm misinterpreting that.

I just checked that because I had the same concerns. It doesn't appear to be a problem. It doesn't say you have to be taking the attack action; just that you make a melee weapon attack, which you are required to do with Booming Blade. It appears to stack. I'm definitely taking a level of wizard with my tempest cleric. Having this as well as Shocking Grasp that knocks enemies 10 ft back is worth one level dip and I already have a high Int.

EDIT: Crap. I just realized I can't take Booming Blade because I'm playing a water genasi and I can't mix content from the two different sourcebooks in AL. *sigh* I'm still doing it for the Shocking Grasp and 1st level wizard rituals though. :D

AmbientRaven
2016-02-28, 10:31 AM
I'm thinking I may go for 2 Div wizard instead. Over all better benefits than 1 Sorc I think. And then that way i also get the rituals. low rolls can help auto-pass hold person ect.

rtrnofdmax
2016-02-28, 10:32 AM
Tempestuous Magic requires a spell of 1st level or higher so no BB flight.

AmbientRaven
2016-02-28, 10:45 AM

Thanks, I missed that.
Solid proof I need to re-read things when I make class idea's at 2 am :p

Diz wizard it is!

Oramac
2016-02-29, 02:07 PM

Yup.

Also, Tempestuous Magic is the 3rd level Storm Sorc feature. Not 1st level. So you'd have to take at least a 3 level dip to get it.

hymer
2016-02-29, 02:22 PM
Also, Tempestuous Magic is the 3rd level Storm Sorc feature. Not 1st level. So you'd have to take at least a 3 level dip to get it.

What? Is there even a 3rd level sorcerer bloodline opening? I'm pretty sure it's 1st level. I'll look it up in a while if nobody else can check.

Quintessence
2016-02-29, 02:25 PM
Yup.

You are mistaken, Sorcerer origin features are at 1, 6, 14, and 18. The 10 feet of flight is from the 1st level feature.

hymer
2016-02-29, 02:27 PM
@ Quintessence: Ah, thanks. I thought as much.

Oramac
2016-02-29, 02:29 PM
You are mistaken, Sorcerer origin features are at 1, 6, 14, and 18. The 10 feet of flight is from the 1st level feature.

Wow. I need to go back to sleep. I was thinking Paladin for some damn reason.

joaber
2016-02-29, 10:56 PM
you want storm sorc 3.

twin booming blade, quick command, make they flee, get one AoO and move 10 feet.

With war caster you can trigger one more booming blade if you make the first attack at 5 feet and the second at 10.

Oramac
2016-03-01, 08:57 AM
quick command, make they flee

Booming Blade only works when the target moves voluntarily.

joaber
2016-03-01, 09:03 AM
Booming Blade only works when the target moves voluntarily.

If the target use action, reaction, bonus action or movement, it is voluntarily.

Is the same rule about AoO: "You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don't provoke an opportunity atlack if an explosion huris you out of a foe's reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy."

Oramac
2016-03-01, 09:09 AM
If the target use action, reaction, bonus action or movement, it is voluntarily.

Is the same rule about AoO: "You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don't provoke an opportunity atlack if an explosion huris you out of a foe's reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy."

It's not quite the same. The AoO works like that, but BB specifically says "If the target willingly moves before then...". The Command spell is somewhat vague about whether the target is moving of its own volition, though I would argue that it is not.

Also, Command states "The spell has no effect if the target...if your command is directly harmful to it." (truncated) Depending on who/what you're attacking, they may be able to recognize the BB spell and know that moving would be harmful.

Basically, there's a lot of DM fiat needed for the plan to work. Not to mention using a spell slot for 1d8 damage. You'd be better off just casting Magic Missile.

joaber
2016-03-01, 09:21 AM
It's not quite the same. The AoO works like that, but BB specifically says "If the target willingly moves before then...". The Command spell is somewhat vague about whether the target is moving of its own volition, though I would argue that it is not.

Also, Command states "The spell has no effect if the target...if your command is directly harmful to it." (truncated) Depending on who/what you're attacking, they may be able to recognize the BB spell and know that moving would be harmful.

Basically, there's a lot of DM fiat needed for the plan to work. Not to mention using a spell slot for 1d8 damage. You'd be better off just casting Magic Missile.

4d8 in one target and 11d8 +melee attack in the other (war caster reaction) at high level + more AoO from party friends.
But with command, really need DMs interpretation. You still can use Phantasmal force, fear, suggestion, etc, to make the target move willingly. But in that case, you need to be more sorcerer and less cleric.