PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Of Fetchlings, Tieflings, and Kyton

Xuldarinar
2016-02-28, 11:06 AM
In short, an observation;

Tiefling exist as decedents of fiends. There exists among them, however, a specific ancestry for kyton. In of itself, this isn't too strange, but there is something that is;

One possible alternate racial trait for fetchling gives them unnerving gaze, an iconic ability of kyton. This is a trait unavailable to shackle-born tiefling.

So, what gives? Could a kyton in one's ancestry result in either a tiefling or a fetchling, or is there a different reason for fetching having access to this ability?

ghanjrho
2016-02-28, 01:14 PM
Kytons are known to have a presence on the Plane of Shadow (where Zon-Kuthon's domain is located). Could be relevant.

Florian
2016-02-28, 01:17 PM
I think so, too. All things Shadow/ZonīKuthon are weirdly connected so Fetchlings and Kytons sharing some common abilities is not all too weird, them being connected to the same broader background.

Xuldarinar
2016-02-28, 01:36 PM
So, perhaps that particular ability is not something kyton have by merit of their origins (They were created in, and initially chained up in, hell), but perhaps by their adopted tie to the Shadow Plane?

Florian
2016-02-28, 01:47 PM
So, perhaps that particular ability is not something kyton have by merit of their origins (They were created in, and initially chained up in, hell), but perhaps by their adopted tie to the Shadow Plane?

Who knows? Have you read "The Kintargo Contract" by any chance? You can meet an Umbral Dragon there, thatīs having a watchful eye on Nidral because how strange all the shadow worship and Zon-Kuthon are, even to Shadow dwellers...

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-02-28, 02:51 PM
Kytons are known to have a presence on the Plane of Shadow (where Zon-Kuthon's domain is located). Could be relevant.

Known to have a presence? It's their main plane! They maintain an embassy of sorts in Hell, I believe.

Darth Ultron
2016-02-28, 03:24 PM
One possible alternate racial trait for fetchling gives them unnerving gaze, an iconic ability of kyton. This is a trait unavailable to shackle-born tiefling.

So, what gives? Could a kyton in one's ancestry result in either a tiefling or a fetchling, or is there a different reason for fetching having access to this ability?

Well, nothing official...

But a ''tiefling'' is a bit generic. It is like saying ''a tiny bit of a fiend'' in the blood. Lets say 50% or less.

Now a Fetchling is a much more specific race. So lets say they have 50% or more ''bit of fiend'' in their blood.

Though I don't think the two Unnerving Gaze abilities are related. They are just two abilities that two races have, and dozen of dozen of dozen of other races all have abilities and lot of them have the same ones too.

Xuldarinar
2016-02-28, 06:21 PM
Well, nothing official...

But a ''tiefling'' is a bit generic. It is like saying ''a tiny bit of a fiend'' in the blood. Lets say 50% or less.

Now a Fetchling is a much more specific race. So lets say they have 50% or more ''bit of fiend'' in their blood.

Though I don't think the two Unnerving Gaze abilities are related. They are just two abilities that two races have, and dozen of dozen of dozen of other races all have abilities and lot of them have the same ones too.

Perhaps. I just make note of it specifically because its one of the things granted by merit of the Kyton subtype, and i've not seen anything else monster wise have it. Bloodragers of the kyton bloodline also gain it, so it is a trait strongly associated with them.

ghanjrho
2016-02-28, 06:51 PM
Known to have a presence? It's their main plane! They maintain an embassy of sorts in Hell, I believe.

Yeah, you're right. The first kytons were chained in Hell, until they escaped to the Plane of Shadow. I don't know if I'd call it an embassy, but I believe that Z-K and Azzy get along well enough. Cheliax and Nidal seem to have an understanding, at least.

Florian
2016-02-29, 03:04 AM
Small corrections:

The Lore rather is that Kytons are mortals that transformed themselves through debased acts. The gods were horrified and banished them to rot in Hell (because LE). From there they evolved into being able to remold souls into Kytons, creating a "true" outsider race. Around the time Z-K returned from the Dark Tapestry, the Kytons broke the bonds that held them in Hell and did a mass migration to the Plane of Shadow, allying themselves with Z-K.

As for Cheliax and Nidal: Nidal is a full vassal state of Cheliax and bound by some obligations. But really, there is not trust or friendship there.