PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made this build

Sir cryosin
2016-02-28, 01:11 PM
I want a magic assassin 3 lvs of rouge assassin then rest in dragon sorcerer. Should I take the 4lv in rouge or should I just keep going sorcerer. We roll for stats. And I think it going to be around lv 10 cap.

CantigThimble
2016-02-28, 05:36 PM
Why do you want to combine these classes? You can't sneak attack with spells and there aren't really enough attack roll based spells to justify sorcerer over paladin or fighter. The best nova you could pull off is something like quickened empowered Scorching Ray and a ranged attack roll with assassinate. While that is impressive you're dependent on dex and cha for it and it's not even that great compared to a paladin or fighter build. The main issue is that your spell attacks don't use your rogue levels at all and your weapon attacks don't use your sorcerer levels at all so your at will damage is pretty weak.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-28, 06:15 PM
Why do you want to combine these classes? You can't sneak attack with spells and there aren't really enough attack roll based spells to justify sorcerer over paladin or fighter. The best nova you could pull off is something like quickened empowered Scorching Ray and a ranged attack roll with assassinate. While that is impressive you're dependent on dex and cha for it and it's not even that great compared to a paladin or fighter build. The main issue is that your spell attacks don't use your rogue levels at all and your weapon attacks don't use your sorcerer levels at all so your at will damage is pretty weak.

Can't argue with this. I suppose 3 levels in rogue wouldn't be too awful if you took them after 17 levels of sorcerer, because then you've got most of what you want anyways, but you could still do a hell of a lot better.

Also, I'm pretty sure you mean rogue, not rouge.

Theodoxus
2016-02-28, 06:34 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure you mean rogue, not rouge.

I assumed he was going rouge dragon sorcerer... for the fire.

bid
2016-02-28, 06:42 PM
Why do you want to combine these classes?
Twin BB cheese. And quickened GFB on top. That's 7d8+9+2d6 doubled (86) at level 6 with assassinate auto-crit. Using the same 3 SP / 3rd slot, you could cast a fireball and do the same damage on 3 targets.

Outside of surprise, it does 4d8+6+2d6 (31) per turn for 1 SP / 1st slot. A pure TWF rogue would do 2d6+3+3d6 (20.5).

You also get AC13 + Dex from draconic.

CantigThimble
2016-02-28, 06:50 PM
Twin BB cheese. And quickened GFB on top. That's 7d8+9+2d6 doubled (86) at level 6 with assassinate auto-crit. Using the same 3 SP / 3rd slot, you could cast a fireball and do the same damage on 3 targets.

Outside of surprise, it does 4d8+6+2d6 (31) per turn for 1 SP / 1st slot. A pure TWF rogue would do 2d6+3+3d6 (20.5).

You also get AC13 + Dex from draconic.

How are you planning on getting both sneak attack AND booming blade damage without being a swashbuckler?

MrStabby
2016-02-28, 07:22 PM
How are you planning on getting both sneak attack AND booming blade damage without being a swashbuckler?

Am I missing something, because I cant see the problem?

CantigThimble
2016-02-28, 07:32 PM
Am I missing something, because I cant see the problem?

In order to sneak attack someone they need to be adjacent to an ally. If they're adjacent to an ally they'll just attack the ally instead of moving so booming blade will do very little. If you're a swashbuckler you can move to someone, disengage as a bonus action and booming blade with sneak attack. If they're melee then they either skip their turn or take all the damage by following you.

If you are in the exact scenario where you have surprised two people adjacent to one another then sure, this build is amazing but in almost any other situation I'd rather be a swashbuckler with booming blade or a fighter or paladin/assassin.

In any case I'd like to know what the OP wanted out of this before I go down the theorycrafting rabbit hole.

bid
2016-02-28, 08:00 PM
What are you talking about?
They're surprised and can't move anyway.
Swashbuckler? They have no reaction, so no OA.
Why move anyway, they can't attack on their turn.

Count them dice and weep:
- Each BB attack does 1d8+3 (rapier) + 1d8 (5th BB) = 2d8+3 (x2)
- The GFB attack does 1d8+3 (rapier) + 1d8 (5th GFB) + 1d8+0 (5th GFB on adjacent) = 3d8+3
- SA does 2d6.
Total is indeed 7d8+9+2d6 and crits for 86 damage on 2 targets (77 single target).

But I agree that assassin is a one-trick pony, just as egotist as the darkness/devil's sight combo. I'd take swashbuckler every day.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-28, 08:22 PM
I'm not looking to do the most damage I want cunning action and assassin auto crit for my fire bolt. I want to sneak around and cast some spells. It's probably only going to 10th lv. So I wanted to see if anyone has done something like this.

PeteNutButter
2016-02-28, 08:42 PM
I'm not looking to do the most damage I want cunning action and assassin auto crit for my fire bolt. I want to sneak around and cast some spells. It's probably only going to 10th lv. So I wanted to see if anyone has done something like this.
I think it's a fine strategy. You won't feel weak overall as you can fill the role of an rogue arcane trickster, just better.

Scorching Ray quickened firebolt is 20d6+cha and 4d10+cha at lvl 10 when you assassinate. That's an even 100 damage and you can invisibility sneak up to help ensure you get it off.

A 10th lvl assassin would deal probably 12d6 plus dex, maybe a couple more d6 if he TWF or crossbow experts. That's 57 plus another 20 if he if he takes the -5. 77 damage. Granted it's at will, but the caster assassin isn't without its perks.