PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sun Soul Warrior/ Firebender (Martial Archetype and Half-Elf/Human Subrace)

Keundt
2016-02-28, 01:55 PM
A mix of sun soul and fire to make a 1/3 or 1/2 caster firebender-type class. The spellcasting progression might be a little weird, but I think it's okay. I wouldn't recommend multiclassing though.

Below the class is a half-elf variant that integrates the firebending into a race. The whole firebending race feature I made worth 4 on the musicus score, breaking points into .25 and spells known into .25 (e.g. one spell 1/day is equal to .5, so I broke it up into the spell and the use. Two spells with one use per day for each is equal to three spells with one use for all of them). It could work for variant humans, too.

Sun Soul Warrior / Firebender

Firebending
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you can cast fire spells using your firebending ability. See chapter 10 of the PHB for the general rules of spellcasting.
Cantrips. You learn the control flame and produce flame cantrips. You learn additional cantrips at higher levels, as shown in the Spells Known column of the Sun Warrior Firebending table.
Spell slots. The Sun Warrior Firebending table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your fire spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a spell slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest. For example, if you know the 1st-level spell burning hands and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast burning hands using either slot.
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know the 1st-level spell burning hands.
The Spells Known column of the Sun Warrior Firebending table shows when you learn more fire spells of 1st level or higher.
Spellcasting Ability. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your fire spells. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a fire spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Sun Warrior Firebending (Sorry about the proficiency bonus being there.)

—Spell Slots per Spell Level—

Fighter Level
Proficiency Bonus
Spells Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

3rd
+2
Control Flame, Produce Flame, Burning Hands
—
—
—
—

4th
+2
Absorb Elements
—
—
—
—

5th
+3
Create Bonfire, Sacred Flame
—
—
—
—

6th
+3
Fire Bolt
—
—
—
—

7th
+3
Flame Blade, Scorching Ray
—
—
—

8th
+3
Continual Flame
—
—
—

9th
+4
Flaming Sphere
—
—
—

10th
+4
Elemental Weapon (Fire only), Flame Arrows
—
—

11th
+4
Fireball
—
—

12th
+4
—
—
—

13th
+5
Melf's Minute Meteors
—
—

14th
+5
—
—
—

15th
+5
Fire Shield, Wall of Fire
—

16th
+5
—
—

17th
+6
Flame Strike, Fire Storm (Feature), Investiture of Flame (Feature)

18th
+6
—

19th
+6
—

20th
+6
—

Searing Sun Bolt
At 3rd level, you can hurl searing bolts of magical fire.

You gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the Attack action. The attack has a range of 30 feet. You are proficient with it, and you add your Charisma modifier to its attack and damage rolls. Its damage is fire, and its damage die is a d4. This die improves by one stage at 5th level (d6), 11th level (d8), and 17th level (d10).

At 7th level, when you use the Attack action on your turn to use this special attack, you can use your bonus action to increase its range to 60 feet. This amount changes at 10th level (90 feet), and 15th level (120 feet).

Firebending Master
At 17th level, you can use your 5th-level spell slot to cast investiture of flame or fire storm as a 7th-level spell.

Firebending Half-Elf

Abilities: +2 Charisma, or +1 to any two abilities of your choice.

Languages: Common and Elvish.

Ethnicity: Choose one among Darkvision (60 ft), one skill proficiency of your choice, or one extra language of your choice.

Firebending:
You can cast fire spells using your firebending ability. See chapter 10 of the PHB for the general rules of spellcasting.
Cantrips. You learn the control flame cantrip. You learn additional cantrips at higher levels, as shown in the Spells Known column of the Firebending table.
Firebending points. The Firebending table shows how many firebending points you have to cast your fire spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a number of firebending points of the spell's level. You regain all expended firebending points when you finish a long rest. For example, if you know the 1st-level spell burning hands and have two firebending points available, you can cast burning hands as a 2nd-level spell using both points.
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. The Spells Known column of theFirebending table shows when you learn more fire spells of 1st level or higher.
Spellcasting Ability. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your fire spells. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a fire spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Firebending

Level
Spells Known
Firebending Points
Max Spell Level

1st
Control Flame
—
—

2nd
Produce Flame
—
—

3rd
Burning Hands, Flame Bolt
1st

4th
Absorb Elements
1st

5th
Scorching Ray
2nd

6th
—
2nd

7th
—
2nd

8th
—
2nd

9th
—
2nd

10th
—
2nd

11th
—
3rd

12th
—
3rd

13th
—
3rd

14th
—
3rd

15th
Wall of Fire
4th

16th
—
4th

17th
—
4th

18th
—
4th

19th
—
4th

20th
—
4th

Flame Bolt
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You hurl a mote of flame at a creature or object within range. You have two charges. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d4 fire damage for each charge. You may alternatively make a separate ranged spell attack for each charge, which you may use to target other creatures. A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn't being worn or carried.
This spell's damage dice increase to 1d8 at 5th level (2d8), and you gain a charge at 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Comment your thoughts! :D

Oramac
2016-02-29, 12:50 PM
The Fighter archetype looks really fun to me. Nothing wrong I can see, but I'm no math whiz.

The Half-Elf race feels incredibly OP, mainly just because it adds spellcasting to a race instead of a class.

My emphasis. I assume it's a typo and that "Intelligence" is supposed to say "Charisma".

Keundt
2016-03-01, 10:16 AM
The Fighter archetype looks really fun to me. Nothing wrong I can see, but I'm no math whiz.

The Half-Elf race feels incredibly OP, mainly just because it adds spellcasting to a race instead of a class.

My emphasis. I assume it's a typo and that "Intelligence" is supposed to say "Charisma".

Yeah it was a typo lol.

Hmm,
If it was just the abilities and the firebending, would that be okay? Or remove 2 firebending points from the progression? That would lower the score to a 6. Or do both and make it a 5.5

So here's how it could go:

Abilities: +2 Charisma or +1 to any two ability scores of your choice.

Languages: Common and Elvish (half-elf), Common and any one language of your choice (human)

Firebending: same spells at their respectful levels. One firebending point at 3rd, 5th, 9th, and 15th levels (4 at 15th).

Now if you use wall of fire at 15th you can't use other spells. Or scorching ray until 9th.

Then there's the guide's version. At 3rd level, burning hands once per day. Absorb elements at 4th, scorching ray at 5th, and wall of fire at 15th. This would be a score of 3.5 including the cantrips. Would still be a total of 5.5.

Oramac
2016-03-02, 08:41 AM
Yeah it was a typo lol.

Hmm,
If it was just the abilities and the firebending, would that be okay? Or remove 2 firebending points from the progression? That would lower the score to a 6. Or do both and make it a 5.5

So here's how it could go:

Abilities: +2 Charisma or +1 to any two ability scores of your choice.

Languages: Common and Elvish (half-elf), Common and any one language of your choice (human)

Firebending: same spells at their respectful levels. One firebending point at 3rd, 5th, 9th, and 15th levels (4 at 15th).

Now if you use wall of fire at 15th you can't use other spells. Or scorching ray until 9th.

Then there's the guide's version. At 3rd level, burning hands once per day. Absorb elements at 4th, scorching ray at 5th, and wall of fire at 15th. This would be a score of 3.5 including the cantrips. Would still be a total of 5.5.

I just think that adding even 1/4 spellcasting to a race instead of a class is going to be OP. The only race that gets any kind of spellcasting at all is the High-Elf, and all they get is one measly Cantrip.

If I took that Half-Elf variant and made a Sorcerer with it, I'd get all the Sorc stuff, plus a bunch of extra spells from the Firebending. I admit to not being any kind of math expert, but it just feels extremely powerful for a race.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Just that when you sit down to play it, there might be some questions to answer.