PDA

View Full Version : Professor build concept

SouthpawSoldier
2016-02-28, 07:38 PM
Which do you folks think makes a better Marcus Brody? I'm aiming for all INT skills (though Nature isn't a must), Perception and Persuasion would be nice to have as well.

Knowledge Cleric: Proficiency in 4 skills, with Expertise in 2, and 2 bonus language proficiencies. Can use Channel Divinity for 10min of Proficiency in a skill or tool. All this is at first level; right out the gate as a problem/puzzle solver/translator.

Lore Bard: At first level, Proficiency in 3 skills; at 3rd level Proficiency in 3 more, with Expertise in 2. Expertise in 2 more skills at 10th.

I'm leaning towards Knowledge Cleric; CHA isn't a key factor in the character concept, so many Bard features don't quite fit. At the same time, Bards are more rounded; don't really want to build a one-trick pony. Neither really supports INT as a primary or even secondary ability.

Wizards have casting and save synergy with an INT-skill build, but the skill selection is weaksauce. 2 skills, no expertise or additional skills.

Jeebs
2016-02-28, 07:52 PM
The Mastermind Rogue from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is my favorite for this sort of character.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-02-28, 08:18 PM
The Mastermind Rogue from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is my favorite for this sort of character.

I'd agree with rogue as best for a know-it-all. More expertises sooner, and reliable talent.

...Though if we're doing Marcus Brody himself, I'd go knowledge cleric. A rogue this guy (https://youtu.be/PgfpIV29Ccc?t=18) ain't.

Slipperychicken
2016-02-28, 08:52 PM
There are only 5 int skills. You can get them all at level one. Religion and Investigation from wizard class, Arcana and History from sage background, Nature from human. Add in perception and persuasion, and that makes 7 total.

You can do Cleric1/WizardX. For skills gets you 2 from class, 2 from subclass, 2 from background. You can get the last one from your race. You get wizard casting (minus 1 progression), armor and shield proficiency (i.e. AC 17 at level one), cleric cantrips and 1st level spells (notably Healing Word and Guidance) known on top of the wizard spells prepared, and command and identify as domain spells. It's arguably the best dip a wizard can do.

Don't know who marcus brody is, though.

SouthpawSoldier
2016-02-28, 09:19 PM
Don't know who marcus brody is, though.

Absentminded professor from Indiana Jones series; friend of Indy's dad. Encyclopedic knowledge of history and ancient languages & cultures, but inept socially. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOmpLholhvI

*Edit* Reread the section on multiclassing; your suggestion sounds fantastic. Get all the features of the Knowledge Cleric, but can build INT>WIS>...... instead of WIS>INT... Cleric spell selection focused on useful, no-save, out of combat spells, (Comprehend Language, etc). Spell Slots stack evenly, so doesn't cripple casting, (just a slight ding on spells known). Can't see any real downsides.

Slipperychicken
2016-02-28, 10:37 PM
*Edit* Reread the section on multiclassing; your suggestion sounds fantastic. Get all the features of the Knowledge Cleric, but can build INT>WIS>...... instead of WIS>INT... Cleric spell selection focused on useful, no-save, out of combat spells, (Comprehend Language, etc). Spell Slots stack evenly, so doesn't cripple casting, (just a slight ding on spells known). Can't see any real downsides.

Downsides are that you unlock spell levels and wizard features 1 level behind (i.e. at Clr1/Wiz6 you could cast a fireball at 4th level, but don't know any 4th level wizard spells like polymorph), have 1 fewer wizard spell prepared, and you need a 13+ in wisdom. I'm playing that build now, and IMO you get more than enough goodies to make up for it. Just don't get cocky about your AC; you're still squishy as hell and you never ever want to take a hit.

If your DM lets you transfer prepared cleric spells to your spellbook, that could save you some trouble getting the first level spells that overlap on the lists. I don't think the rules give any guidance on the matter, but it could be worth a shot.

SouthpawSoldier
2016-02-28, 11:13 PM
If your DM lets you transfer prepared cleric spells to your spellbook, that could save you some trouble getting the first level spells that overlap on the lists. I don't think the rules give any guidance on the matter, but it could be worth a shot.

Spellbook rules specifies Wizard spells.

Copying a Spell into the Book When you find a wizard spell
of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is
of a level for which you have spell slots and if you can spare
the time to decipher and copy it. (Emphasis mine).

Besides, since each day the Cleric can prepare any spell from the Cleric List, that means given enough time and GP, a Cleric1/Wizard19 will have all of the 1st level Cleric spells.