PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Concept/build idea for enemy character

Mr.Kraken
2016-02-28, 08:41 PM
Okay, I'm preparing an enemy party to pit against the PCs and need you guys' help in designing one of the NPCs.

The gist of it: They are called the Birds of Prey, a high-ranking military order in the warlike nation of Bella-Krieg. Comprised of six incredibly powerful or skillfull former adventurers, the Birds of Prey are Bella-Krieg's most prized soldiers, and the leaders of their army.

They are all 19th level characters with varied classes and roles, much like a true PC party. The only thing they have in common is that all of them know how to fight while mounted on their 15 HD advanced griffons. Some have a bit more skill with their mounts, some less, but all of them should have high ranks in Ride and also have Mounted Combat. Some prefer to fight on land, but since this is a sky-based campaign (flying continents and the like) they all need to at least know how to fight while in the air. They should have a contigency plan in case they fall from their mounts. Also, all of them wear beautifully-crafted medium or heavy mithral armor in order to display their status and presence.

This is who they are:

Cesaro, the Imperial Eagle - Crusader 17/Marshal 2; the leader of the group and of the whole army. Focuses on White Raven, leadership abilities and flying mounted charging
Augusta, the Screech Owl - Fighter 5/Wizard 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 8; spellcaster focused on melee touch spells and ride-by attack. When she gets serious, casts spell flower to blow people up with two-spell fighting.
Dmitri, the Bloodhawk - Barbarian 8/Fighter 1/Runescarred Berserker 10; described as an armored whirlwind of steel, he fights with unmatched ferocity. Whirling Frenzy; Combat Reflexes + Stand Still + Thicket of Blades + Mage Slayer + Robilar's Gambit to attack each time the opponent decides to do pretty much anything. He also covers all of the areas his armor doesn't cover with bandages. When he gets serious, he rips them, revealing his runescars. If he fights a strong spellcaster, he will use anti-magic field and finish him off.
Miro, the Peregrine Falcon - Ranger 11/Scout 4/Cragtop Archer 4; the greatest marksman alive. A seasoned veteran with the world's keenest eyes and steadiest bow. Focuses on firing his arrows from ridiculously long distances, with his max range being almost a mile and having the ability to ignore penalties from range. Rains down arrows at his enemies from the air and from afar [handwaved skirmish to work while mounted]. Also hates outsiders, believing that he must erradicate the invaders from our world.
Nero, the Vulture - Rogue 5/Fighter 5/Assassin 10; focused on sneak attack and death attack, he catches his opponents by surprise and when they see him, it's usually too late. Focuses on being unseen and undetected in combat in order to sneak attack most of the time. When mounted, relies on his companions to flank his enemies and taking every bit of opportunity as possible. Naturally, as a rogue/assassin, he prefers not to engage in mounted combat and acts more as an spy/assassin for the Emperor. No one has seen his face, for he wears his characteristic mask all the time.
Lorenzo, the Harpy

So Lorenzo is what this topic is all about. I first envisioned him as a gallant fighter wearing full plate armor and focused on two-weapon combat, fighting with longsword and shortsword, but Augusta already goes TWF with her spells. Then, I changed my mind and thought about the Knight or Paladin classes maybe focusing on tanking, but Dmitri already has the "you won't leave my threatened area" thing going on and Cesaro does the Charismatic thing really well. I realized that I don't have a healer, but going cleric with him would mean I'd have to (probably) reflavor him. So, based on what's missing in the group, cool ideas and optimizing, what role/class/build should I consider?

Edit: Your critique on the party per se is also deeply appreciated.

OldTrees1
2016-02-28, 10:43 PM
Perhaps the Harpy will use verbal debuffs like Demoralization? You could probably still go cleric. Use Fearsome Armor[Und] to make demoralizing a move action while you cast verbal debuff spells with the standard action.

Think twice before you give the Harpy Imperious Command though. It might be too strong to use against PCs.

Irk
2016-02-28, 11:48 PM
Lorenzo's my name lol.

I'd agree with Oldtrees here. Maybe combined bard with hexblade, and use stuff like Doomspeak and Inspire Awe along with the Harpy song as a general debuffer. Use Mike Mearl's Hexblade for better curses, have the Harpy fly out of reach ad just dispense debuffs. You might want to stray away from aura-based debuffs, to make it a little less insane, (this team looks pretty intense already), and also to have that annoying enemy that is very maneuverable, and who only has to be able to yell to debuff you.

Mr.Kraken
2016-02-29, 07:37 AM
Cool ideas, I'll think about them.

@OldTrees1: What cleric build and spells would you suggest?

@Irk: What would the build be? Also, do you think Knight could be thrown in there as well?

OldTrees1
2016-02-29, 07:52 AM

@Irk: What would the build be? Also, do you think Knight could be thrown in there as well?

I was just suggesting a straight cleric. I did not have many spells in mind, mostly single target debuffs like Command, Dispel Magic, Hold Person.

However Irk has a more fitting answer.

Rangô
2016-02-29, 08:13 AM
And talking about debuff... why not a Jester? Could be pretty awsome as anti-bard class, more fun if you prepare some jokes laughing about your PC's, sharp tongue :smallwink:

Mr.Kraken
2016-02-29, 09:17 AM
I had this picture in mind when thinking about him:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f2/51/f2/f251f2e6ac5820917c789e77e6fe7af6.jpg

So... a jester would be a slightly drastic change. :smallbiggrin:
Could be fun, though.

TheBrassDuke
2016-02-29, 10:02 AM
The Harpy as a monster typically focuses on flyby attacks with Melee weapons.

But then there's the Harpy archer.

Don't forget harpies have the Captivating Song ability. A demoralizing, debuffer. Bard?

Mr.Kraken
2016-02-29, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry, I led you guys into thinking that I based him off the harpy monster. His moniker actually comes from the Harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja), much like as all the other members of the group are based on birds of prey.

The harpy eagle is an apex predator and is one of the world's strongest and biggest birds of prey. They have the largest talons of any living eagle. Contrary to the monster it took its name from, the harpy is a mostly silent bird. It's so big it can feed on animals such as monkeys and deer.

Quite a bad*ss animal:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Harpia_harpyja_-Belize-8a.jpg

OldTrees1
2016-02-29, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry, I led you guys into thinking that I based him off the harpy monster. His moniker actually comes from the Harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja), much like as all the other members of the group are based on birds of prey.

The harpy eagle is an apex predator and is one of the world's strongest and biggest birds of prey. They have the largest talons of any living eagle. Contrary to the monster it took its name from, the harpy is a mostly silent bird. It's so big it can feed on animals such as monkeys and deer.

Quite a bad*ss animal:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Harpia_harpyja_-Belize-8a.jpg

Thanks for the correction. Is that also the bird known for pulling large mammals off cliffs?

I think the best solution is a Warhulk. Focus on knocking foes towards the Bloodhawk to set up flanks for the Vulture. Have a second tactic of grabbing enemies and letting your mount move them around. Might even have a 2nd nickname of Roc.

Mr.Kraken
2016-02-29, 10:48 AM
Is that also the bird known for pulling large mammals off cliffs?

Hmm, no, that'd be the golden eagle...

EDIT: Just watched a video showing it. Ouch.

Red Fel
2016-02-29, 11:11 AM
Others have mentioned debuffer Bard. I'm specifically going to suggest fear Bard. Use any or all of Biff's suggestions, as follows:

Desert Half-Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs), use the Half-Humans variant on page 150 of Races of Destiny to be a Humanoid (Human) instead of Humanoid (Orc), thus qualifying for human-only feats rather than orc-only feats.

Add on the Necropolitan template from Libris Mortis if you can do it without losing a level. Gaining it during play does cost a level, but gaining it prior to the start of play on a higher level character you would have had time to catch back up to the party level. Say you were made on by a Dread Necromancer 8+ who had the entire Corpsecrafter line of feats and in the area of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present, for +6 HP/level, +4 Str and Dex, +4 initiative, +10 ft. movement, +2 natural armor, +4 turn resistance, etc.

Your build should go (Savage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) ) Bard 8/ Nightmare Spinner 1/ Dread Witch 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Dread Witch 4/ Nightmare Spinner 4. Swap Inspire Courage for Inspire Awe from Dragon Magic, trade Bardic Knowledge for Bardic Knack in PH2, and replace Countersong with Spellbreaker Song from CM. Every prestige class level after Sublime Chord should advance your Sublime Chord casting, of course.

Take two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), I'd recommend Bravado from Dragon 328 (can't gain Dodge bonuses to AC, can't use the withdraw action) and City Slicker in Dragon 324 (-4 to Handle Animal, Kn: Nature, and Survival checks). Your feats should be Dreadful Wrath (PGtF), Melodic Casting (CM), Fell Frighten Spell (LM), Obtain Familiar (CA), Haunting Melody (ECS), and Improved Familiar (CW). Also say he visited the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Menacing Demeanor for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it. Future feats should include Lifesense (LM) and whatever else you want to get.

Skills, other than prerequisites, should include max ranks in Intimidate, Perform, and Use Magic Device. Definitely get as many skill tricks (CS) as possible, especially Never Outnumbered and Back On Your Feet. Your familiar is a Krenshar, its Scare DC will increase based on your level (10 + 1/2 HD + Cha bonus), and it can make Intimidate checks using your skill ranks.

Get a custom Runestaff (MIC p224) with whatever spells you want on it, you can UMD it at DC 21 to use it as though they were on your own class spell list. Good choices would include Web, Bands of Steel, Black Tentacles, Rope Trick, Command Undead, Kelpstrand, Briar Web, Entangle, etc. You can also include long duration buffs that you don't expect to cast more than once each day to save spells known, such as Greater Resistance, or highly situational spells like Mass Resist Energy and Life Ward.

Get a +1 Mithral Breastplate with the Fearsome property (DotU, +5,000 gp), a Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC, 15,000 gp), a Mask of the Matriarch (DotU, 9,000 gp), and a Shadow Cloak (DotU, 5,500 gp). Also get some wands of useful low level spells that you can UMD like Web and Inflict Light Wounds (to heal yourself).

You should probably have a pretty good idea of what this character does. Keep in mind that per the Rules Compendium page 53 regarding escalating fear effects, "When such multiple exposures occur, the worst stage of fear lasts until the duration of all the effects causing the fear expire." So your Dreadful Wrath feat causes opponents to save or become Shaken (no action). You can activate Inspire Awe plus Haunting Melody to force opponents to save versus two separate Shaken conditions (standard action). You can use the Demoralize action plus Never Outnumbered once per encounter to cause every opponent within ten feet to become Shaken (move action). You can cast a Fell Frighten Sound Burst to cause anyone who takes damage to be automatically Shaken (standard action, or swift with the circlet). You have many other abilities which inflict a Shaken condition on opponents, plus your Krenshar familiar can activate its racial Scare ability and then use intimidate to demoralize opponents as well. A Shaken opponent who would become Shaken is instead Frightened, a Frightened opponent who would become Shaken is instead Panicked, and a Panicked creature who is prevented from fleeing such as by Web or Entangle or Kelpstrand will instead Cower for the duration of the fear or until they can escape. You can buff your party with spells like Haste, crowd control opponents, and be generally useful otherwise. Most of your actions in combat should probably be spent casting spells or demoralizing opponents (two per round as a move action).

In many ways, he is the counterpoint to Cesaro, a noble figure who inspires the troops - he is a dark, creepy, unsettling figure who terrifies the enemy. Bonus, thanks to Dread Witch, your fear effects can overcome fear immunity.

Doctor Despair
2016-02-29, 11:19 AM
You could spec the Vulture into Teflammer Shadowlord or however it's spelled to get a better Death Attack.

Mr.Kraken
2016-02-29, 11:28 AM
You could spec the Vulture into Teflammer Shadowlord or however it's spelled to get a better Death Attack.

That's exactly what I just did.
Changed him into a Skulk [Shadow-Walker template] Rogue 3/Assassin 8/Telflammar Shadowlord 6

Death Attack with DC of 29, Mortifying Attack, Deathsight, Hide+59 and Move Silently+48... he'll make an impact, for sure.

OldTrees1
2016-02-29, 11:33 AM
Hmm, no, that'd be the golden eagle...

EDIT: Just watched a video showing it. Ouch.

Might I suggest a title change then? Serious the golden eagle is amazing (Ouch!).

Question about the Falcon: The Peregrine Falcon, when diving, is the fastest animal. Have you optimizing its mount for speed?

Mr.Kraken
2016-02-29, 11:39 AM
Might I suggest a title change then? Serious the golden eagle is amazing (Ouch!).

Question about the Falcon: The Peregrine Falcon, when diving, is the fastest animal. Have you optimizing its mount for speed?

Not exactly, but he will be using Traveler's Mount. What do you suggest?

MisterKaws
2016-02-29, 12:21 PM
Law Incarnate would fit pretty nicely:

-Incarnates are bulky as hell for being a Con-based class, and Law's avatar gives extra-bulk.
-Power Attack for full without a care, bonus points if done with a Skilled weapon.
-Can patch major wounds.
-Loyal AF soldier.

So the build would be pretty much Incarnate 19. Maybe Silverbrow for the innate slow fall and possibility of draconic melds.
Most of the time the melds shaped would be:

Incarnate Avatar Bound to soul;
Planar Ward shaped on Throat for pseudo-immunity against any form of forced compelling ever(works against even a god's Divine Aura!!!);
Astral Vambraces on Hands, or chakra-shared on Arms if bound;
Vitality Belt on Waist, because reasons;
Lifebond Vestments on Arms, for patching minor wounds;
Crystal Helm on Crown, because Deflection is never a bad thing;
Spellward Shirt on Heart. It's SR, and a potential SR 37 at that. It's basically a 95% chance to NOPE most spells;
Strongheart Vest, shared and bound on Heart, completing the "I'm immune to all your save-or-suck munchkinry" starter pack;
Keeneye Lenses on Brow, maybe bound to avoid those damn sneaky guys. Also fits quite well for an eagle.

OldTrees1
2016-02-29, 12:28 PM
Not exactly, but he will be using Traveler's Mount. What do you suggest?

I thought they were 15HD advanced Griffons. Just use the speed handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13532.0) when selecting feats/gear for the mount.

Irk
2016-02-29, 06:30 PM

Sorry I took a bit to respond, I was asleep. Let me see, I haven't done D&D stuff for a while, but I could maybe have some sort of build idea here.

Hexblade 7 snags you Greater Curse, Bard 8 for all the reasons mentioned by Biff in Red Fel's post. Knight could work, I always saw the benefit of Knight being the defensive terrain stuff they could do, but you could also play off of Test of Mettle, letting you redirect attacks to you. Maybe take 1 level of Warblade, and use that to snag Supreme Blade Parry so that you could have damage reduction against ranged attacks and opponents that launched volleys when you used Test of Mettle.

The way I see it is that you'd be primarily using Bard music to power Doomspeak, Inspire Awe while using Imperious Command. Whenever an opponent presents a great threat, you can lob a Curse at them for major debuffery. All the while when your team is getting low, you have access to Test of Mettle + Supreme Blade Parry to force opponents into attacking you ineffectually. Adding to that, maybe invest in miss chance effects, whether that's an item or just a spell. Ability Focus is an option for your Harpy Song and Hexblade's Curse. Hexbands are good for your curses. Make sure to boost Charisma.

You could try for flyby attack + Slippers of Battledancing to swoop by enemies after you've debuffed them, slash em up with the aid of cha bonuses + Snowflake wardancing and then retreat to a safe height where you can continue to dish out debuffs

It won't be the strongest member of your party, but you will boost everyone else by debuffing opponents. Snag Dark Companion instead of a familiar for hexblade and you can have a sort of remote debuffing zone to further mess up enemies. Max out Intimidate.

If there is a way to get spells from other lists for bard, maybe try for the Obscuring Snow + Snowsight combo to have a thematic way of avoiding attacks. This nets you a defense against range attacks, and when combined with Test of mettle and Supreme Blade Parry, enemies will be uselessly targeting you, as you push out fear effects, debuff auras, curses, and Harpy Songs.

Bard 8/Hexblade 7/Knight 4/Warblade 1

Feats worth considering: Doomspeak, Snowflake Wardance, Ability Focus, Imperious Command [skill trick], an feats helping you get mentioned spells on the bard list or helping you secure supreme blade parry without items.