PDA

View Full Version : PbP Savage Worlds

Glitchy
2016-02-29, 01:21 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Pretty simple question really. I'm new to the Savage Worlds system and I'm wondering how easy it is to run in PbP. Some of the mechanics seem like they might not work in forum based play, such as the card based initiative. So has anyone done it? Does it work well? Do things need to be changed?

Glitchy
2016-02-29, 09:19 AM
So no one can answer this? No one plays savage Worlds?

Vitruviansquid
2016-02-29, 09:48 AM
I have not played Savage Worlds in PBP, but I suspect you'll run into the usual problems as DnD in PBP.

Actions are probably going to be too granular so you get bogged down in combat, everything skill check requires the player's input then the GM's, people flaking can cause initiative to be held up or distorted...

LibraryOgre
2016-03-02, 08:12 PM
I've not done it, but PbR always requires some rebalancing; I think the card-based initiative is fine, but folks might want to submit several actions.

Cealocanth
2016-03-06, 12:14 AM
I'm a Savage Worlds player, but haven't ever tried it in PbP. What I have tried, though, is playing through Tabletop Simulator. This game is designed to be a fast-paced game. Actions are short and often time-restricted (depending on the GM). Roleplay is interwoven with combat, and combats are generally over within an hour. When extra time has to be taken to describe actions or fiddle with bad physics, the game becomes boring very, very fast. I imagine a similar sort of effect would occur over PbP. With the exception of card-based initiative, which would be difficult to make sure that everyone involved is dealing from the same deck, the game's mechanics would work over PbP. However, the essence of the game might be lost.

To try to preserve the Fast, Furious, Fun aspects of the game, I would recommend the following changes:

Switch to a dice-based or a turn-based initiative system. This will help to fix the card-based mechanics issue.
Remove all concepts of miniatures or gameboards. Every character is either 'near their target', or 'at range with their target', or 'far away from their target.' Spells affect things over PAD (Plot Appropriate Distance.) Discrepancies in this issue are handled by a die roll or by GM call.
Enforce the Multi-Action Penalty rule. If a player's actions have more than one 'thing' they are doing, then they recieve a penalty for the whole action. This keeps posts short and combats moving.
Play up on the RP. If something can be handled without rules, don't invoke the game's rules.